Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• Soul Sibling {COST} (When this creature enters the battlefield you may pay {COST} if you do put a copy of this creature onto the battlefield without Soul Sibling.)
  • Well let's do this. Let me know if any of my mechanics are the same or close to that of another, it's been a while since I've looked through all of the submissions here.

Reckless (This spell has flash as long as you control no untapped lands. When this spell is put on the stack empty your mana pool.)

Preserve (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile a land you control until this creature leaves the battlefield.)

Decay X (This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, remove a +1/+1 counter from it.)

Transpose (When you cast this spell, if there is a card in your graveyard with the same name as this card, return it to the battlefield transformed under its owner's control.)

Rouse (This creature has defender and loses defender when it blocks.)

Spite (If you discard this card, each other player discards a card.)

Retrace (When this card is put into your graveyard from your library, you may put it onto the battlefield. If you do, pay its mana cost or exile it.)
  • edited September 2015
    Soulless - (Whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield, you may pay 1 colorless to sacrifice it. If you do, {Effect})

Reminisce{Mana} - (Pay {Mana}, tap this creature. Search your graveyard for a {Mana2} card and put it onto your hand.)

{Mana} = Of course, the mana cost that you payed for this mechanic.
    {Mana2} = The color of the card based on what colors of mana that you payed for this mechanic
  • Corrupt (Whenever you cast this or a black spell, you may put a corruption counter on target uncorrupted permanent. It becomes corrupt.)

For reference: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TheCopyrightContinuum/sets/2045
  • *edit
    Corrupt (When you cast this spell, you may put a corruption counter on target uncorrupted permanent. It becomes corrupt.)
  • I only have a few, but I might as well throw them in.

Quicken As long as no spells or abilities are on the stack, this card has flash. (Static "Triggered")

Audacity If this creature's toughness is one, {EFFECT}. (Static "Triggered")

Golden Colorless mana cannot be spent to cast {CARD NAME}. (Static)

And... this... thing...
    Applause, Applause When you cast this spell, you may {DO SOMETHING IRL}. If you do, ~ {Gains or loses ABILITY} (Triggered)
  • Invoke (Each creature you sacrifice while paying for this card pays for {1} or one mana of that creatures color.)
  • Here is a few more:
    -) [cardtype] Scrap N (Look at the top N cards of your library. You may sacrifice a [card type] to put a [card type] from among them into your hand.)

-) Petrify (When this creature blocks or becomes blocked, put a petrify counter on the opposing creature at the end of combat. Creatures with petrify counters get defender and "this creature cant block".)
    - This one has a loop hole: If the creature that is making the counters dies, the petrified creatures lose the effects but keep the counters.

-) Soulsearch N (When this creature dies, put N 1/1 white spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.)

-) Plague (When this creature blocks or becomes blocked, destroy the opposing creature at end of combat and put a 2/2 black zombie creature token with plague onto the battlefield.)

-) Vengeful (When a creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
    -A positive effect could also be substituted for the +1/+1 counter.

• I realize that Invoke is like another ability, so here is a card to see whose ability is older:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mindslaughter-demon
  • edited October 2015
    Just a mass dump of the mechanics from the Corrupted block I'm making with the help of @CrucibleOfHate and others.

Elemental X (When you cast this spell, you may pay an additional X. If you do, put a X/1 elemental token with haste onto the battlefield. Exile at the next end step.)

Ragelust (When this creature attacks, you may add {g} or {r} to your mana pool.

Fury - When this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, ... (e.g. you may have it deal 3 damage to target creature or player.)

Purify X (When this creature enters the battlefield, remove all corruption counters from X target creatures you control.)

Maim X (Whenever this creature attacks, X target creatures can't block this turn.)

Convert (Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put a corrupt counter on that creature.)

Corrupt (When you cast this spell, you may put a corruption counter on target uncorrupted permanent. It becomes corrupt.)
  • edited October 2015
    Mechanics I created long ago for my multiplayer set:

Feedback {cost} (Opponents may cast this spell from your graveyard for its feedback cost. Then exile it.) - Rules are like flashback, but for opponents. Appears on sorceries and occasionally instants with timing restrictions. Also, the spell is otherwise a straightforward but relatively undercosted effect, as this is somewhat of a drawback, though it can be worked to your advantage in multiplayer ;)
    Burning Bridges {R} Sorcery
    Technicality {U} Instant

Switcharoo {cost} ({cost}{t}: Remove target attacking creature you don't control from combat, and replace it with ~this~. You still control ~this~.) Appears on creatures. Kind of novel for rules purposes, since you would control a creature attacking during another player's turn, and possibly attacking yourself. Somewhat like a multiplayer ninjutsu mechanic. Great on creatures that want to hit opponents, or wimpy creatures to save yourself some damage.
    Rooftop Infiltrator {1}{U}{U} Creature
    Sparkspear {1}{R} Creature

Continue (If you would lose the game, instead you exile your hand, graveyard and library, and have an emblem with "You can't win the game") Appears on permanents. May require some rules magic, but essentially, these permanents "keep your battlefield in the game" as long as they're around, though you can no longer win.
    Angel of the Lost
    Unfinished Business
  • Meek (This creature cannot attack or block alone)

Was using on a card so I posted it.
  • edited April 2016
    Just checked, and I don't think anyone posted it, so:

Beacon (When this card is put into the graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.)

I am aware that more than the Beacons had this ability, but I couldn't think of a name besided "Infinity", which could probably be used for something better.
  • thank you all for so many vunderfal replies!
  • Manalock {mana}

The next turn after casting this card, deplete the first {mana} that enters your mana pool

Not sure if I worded it correctly, but it's basically like echo but can be used for other things like instants and sorceries. You can also manalock an opponent.
  • edited October 2015
    Animosity - This creature attacks each turn if able and must be blocked if able.

Loot - Whenever a creature dealt damage by this creature this turn dies, draw a card.

Taunt - You choose the order in which creatures are allowed to block this creature.

Sage - Whenever you would draw a card, you may discard a card instead. If you do, scry 2 then draw a card.
  • @beeswax can I borrow collective for a card?
  • edited October 2015
    I'm sorry was this put?
    Fade X (This creature enters the battlefield with X fade counters. At the beginning of your upkeep remove a fade counter, when this creature has no fade counters on it exile it.)
  • @HIM - All of these mechanics are open source, just be sure to give the originator credit on the card
  • @HIM
    Absolutely! It's an encyclopedia, not a patent office!
  • okay,
    Illuminate: you play with the top card of your library face up.
    example http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wandergast
    there are a few cards that have a similar ability to this, i just worded it a little differently so it worked slightly different and gave it a keyword.
  • Loot N
    draw N cards, then discard N cards (blue)
    and
    Plunder N
    discard N cards, then draw N cards (red)
  • Reave (Add mana to your mana pool equal to target creature's colored mana symbols, then put that many -1/-1 counters on it.)
    e.g. http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rix-maadi-sadist?list=user
    For example, If I reave Grizzy Bears I add G to my mana pool and put one -1/-1 counter on it. If I reave Knight of the White Orchid I add WW to my mana and put two -2/-2 counters on it.

Withdraw (Remove target creature from combat. If it was blocking a creature, that creature deals combat damage this turn as if it hadn't been blocked by target creature.)
    e.g. http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/morin-the-prudent?list=user

Explore Explore X (X, {t} Exile this creature. Search your library for a basic land card, exile it, and shuffle your library. Return this creature and that land card to the battlefield under their owner's control at the beginning of your next upkeep. This creature gains haste. Explore only as a sorcery.)
    e.g. http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/joraga-vinestrider?list=user

• Created for the Death to Eldrazi challenge. Pretty vague, but just an idea.

Rise Against - Grants or improves abilities depending on whether the opponent controls colorless permanents.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/eul-divine-magus?list=user
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/deathly-sanctifier?list=user
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/defiant-mountaineer?list=user
  • edited October 2015
    Decompose X (At the beginning of your Upkeep place a +X/-X counter on this card.)
    EDIT: Reworded it to work differently.
  • Unburden X (This card enters the battlefield with X burden counters on it. At the start of your upkeep remove one burden counter from it. When this card has no burden counters on it it gets X +1/+1 counters)
  • here are my two current made mechanics:
    purge: put (insert affected card(s) here) into their owner's graveyards
    imunity: this card cannot have -1/-1 counters place on it.
    and I also made a new subtype for non-creature, non-artifact, non-land cards, Wish
  • edited October 2015
    These are keyword actions.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Keyword_action
    ^If you don't know what how to use Keyword Action words. Gamepedia is helpful.

Hinder ___ N by @milanaarz
    (To hinder _card type_ N, until your next turn, _____ spells your opponents cast cost {N} more to cast.)

Walkabout by @MrRansom
    (If this creature isn't on walkabout, exile this creature and it goes on walkabout. Return it to the battlefield from walkabout at the beginning of your combat phase.)

Bequeath by @Corwinnn
    (To bequeath _____, that player gains control of _____.)

Apparate by @CrucibleOfHate
    (To apparate a card, put it on top of its owner's library, then shuffle that library.)

Fortify by @seaspray4TF3
    (To fortify a permanent, remove all counters from it. Then put three +1/+1 counters on it.)

"Make a deal with __player__" by @ZaneRoss
    (To make a deal, ______ may choose to sacrifice a permanent they control.)

Guide by @patrickammons
    (If this creature is not a Guide, it becomes a Guide in addition to its other types.)

Cooldown N ______ by @MagicBacon
    (To cooldown N _____, put N cooldown counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a cooldown counter from it. These counters may not be removed by spells or abilities other than this one.)

Meditate by @Animist
    (To meditate, draw four cards and skip your next turn.)

Cache by @fabiocbinbutter
    (To cache a card, exile it face down. You may look at it at any time. You may draw from your cache instead of from your library.)
    RULE : To cache a card means to exile it face-down as cached. Players may look at any cached cards they own at any time. If a player would draw a card and they own any cached cards in the exile zone, they may instead choose one of those cards and draw that card instead of drawing from the top of their library. (To draw a cached card, choose a cache card and put it into its owner's hand.)

Chromashift by @Animist
    (To chromashift _____, it becomes the color or colors of your choice until end of turn.)

Despair N by @King_Devil_II
    (To despair N, discard N cards and lose life equal to the total converted mana cost of those cards.)

Consumes __creature__ by @michaelmvm
    (To Consumes __creature__, exile the consumed creature with the consuming creature. The consuming creature gains all abilities of the consumed one. When the consuming creature dies, put the consumed creature in its owners graveyard.)

Petrify by @DeepSky
    (To petrify, until end of turn, whenever a petrified creature attacks or blocks, it gets -1/-1.)

Merge by @Gafratt01
    (To merge two or more cards, they become the same card with the combined colors, names, types, abilities, and other statuses of the merged cards.)

Ignite by @seaspray4TF3
    (To ignite a permanent, put three loyalty counters on it. It becomes a planeswalker and loses all other types and abilities.)

Converge by @CastorCrozz
    (To converge __A__ onto __B__ , you may tap untapped __A__. If you do, __B__ gets +X/+Y until end of turn, where X is __A__'s power and Y is __A__'s toughness.)

Exhaust by @citizen66
    (To exhaust, you choose any number of permanents and/or players that have a counter, then from each remove exactly one counter of a kind that permanent or player already has.)

Internalize by @CrucibleOfHate
    (To internalize damage, remove the damage from what is was dealt to, then assign that damage again whenever that player or permanent would be dealt damage again. It has the same source.)

Unearth by @CrucibleOfHate
    (To unearth, return a card from your graveyard to your hand.)

Blind by @Teacup
    (To blind _____, until your next turn, that creature loses all abilities, and it can't attack or block.)

Crystallize by @Teacup
    (To crystalize _____ , put that card onto the battlefield face down as a 0/1 creature under its owner's control.)
    --------------------------

By the way, "To…….., " part in the reminder doesn't seem necessary.
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270972
  • Devolve: (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if it's power or toughness is greater than this creature's, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature.)
  • Last Strike (Creatures with Last Strike deal combat damage after creatures without it.)
    I made Last Strike mainly just so those anonymous cards with "Triple Strike" could almost be plausible. As I see it:
    Triple Strike (This creature deals first strike, regular, and last strike damage.)