Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• Virus (This creature enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it, whenever another creature is damaged by this creature or targeted by one of it's abilities, that creature gets a -1/-1 counter)

Haze (As long as this creature is untapped or attacking, it can't be blocked or target by spells or abilities.)

Pacifist (Creatures that have not attacked or blocked since they entered the battlefield are pacifist)

(Play on Historic) Futuristic (Artifacts, instants and sorceries in you hand and in your library are Futuristic)
  • edited February 2019
    I am not the sole source of this one....

Onslaught By Mantis17, renamed /modified by Lastjustice/Tomigon

Onslaught (This creature can deal excess combat damage to a creature defending player controls.)

Mantis came up with the first draft as a modified form of trample, and I did a second version and came up with the current name, Corwinnn gave emotional support, and this version is the third Tomigon revised.

Not a new keyword persay, but a term I've used on a few cards I feel should be coined as well. I feel like wizards needs a short hand for Coverted mana cost. I had so many interactions with the coverted mana cost on this card, I felt it needed a better term for it. So Value=Coverted mana Cost. Simple enough to save alot of text.

If you post a Mechanic, please make a card for it as an example of said mechanic and post it with it. I think giving context to the idea with a proper example helps people wrap their head around it and shows how you envision that idea to others.
  • edited February 2019
    A keyword I made for cat decks is called the Clowder Cost. A cards clowder cost is the same as the coloured mana necessary to cast the spell. For example, holy cat would have a clowder cost of [W]. Pride sovereign would have a clowder cost of [G] and Regal Caracal would have a clowder cost of [W][W.] One example of a card I made with this mechanic is a white enchant which allows you to choose to pay the Clowder Cost as well as the regular mana cost when casting a cat spell. If you do, you create a token copy of that cat. A green cat or enchant might allow you to only pay the Clowder Cost when casting a cat spell. (Two white mana to cast Regal Caracal)

Colourless creatures don't have a clowder cost, so in that scenario, you can't pay the Clowder Cost, which means you can't activate the ability.
  • edited February 2019
    One I recently made:

Overkicker {c}(Whenever this creature attacks, you pay {c})

{c]}=A Mana cost
  • It's crazy that this thread has almost one thousand comments now. Geez.
  • edited February 2019
    Horde Ninjutsu (cost) -- when this creature attacks and isn't blocked, you may pay (cost). if you do, return it to your hand and create N _______ tokens tapped and attacking.
    (basically it works like the reverse of normal Ninjutsu)
  • edited February 2019
    New ability:

Loan

Loan N (When this creature enters the battlefield, you lose N life and another target player gains N life. Distribute ____ +1/+1 counters among any number of target creatures.)

Or

Loan 1 (When this creature enters the battlefield, you lose 1 life and another target player gains 1 life. Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.)

Made specifically with orzhov in mind, however, it can also be used with other black type cards.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sorinjace-mind-conductor

Dabble (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay {u/b}. If you do, reveal the top card of your library. If it's converted mana cost is equal to or less then that spell, you may cast it without paying it's mana cost. Otherwise, put that card into your graveyard.)
  • edited February 2019
    Rift (Whenever you discard a card you may choose to exile it, if you do [this card] deals X damage to all players, where X is half the converted manacost of the spell exiled this way, rounded down.)
    imageimage
  • I have 2 new abilities

1: Whiplash (When a creature with Whiplash enters the battlefield, depending on it's Whiplash Number(1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or more)it deals 1 damage to the Whiplash Number amount of creatures. For referencehttps://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2019/2/16/1550360793266324.png)

2: Resemble (If this card is in your graveyard, you may put it back onto the battlefield tapped and with X -1/-1 counters) (Resemble is a payed cost to put the creature it's on back onto the battlefield with X -1/-1 counter shttps://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2019/2/19/1550604424347621.png for reference

-------------
    I hope I did that right
  • GUYS!!! I HAVE A MECHANIC!!! BECAUSE YTF NOT?! XD

Triplet (You can have three commanders if they have triplet.)
  • Quadruplet (You can have three commanders if they have quadruplet.)

@Ranshi922 We could do this forever.
  • Quintuplet

I'm not going to post the reminder text. XD
  • edited February 2019
    Sextuplet
    Septuplet
  • Animosity for Blue (Whenever this creature attacks and is blocked by a blue creature, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Animosity for Green (Whenever this creature attacks and is blocked by a green creature, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Animosity for Red (Whenever this creature attacks and is blocked by a red creature, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Animosity for Black (Whenever this creature attacks and is blocked by a black creature, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Animosity for White (Whenever this creature attacks and is blocked by a white creature, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
  • At that point you get ridiculous. Triplets are not unheard of. Not to mention that your in communication with one. *stares you down venomously, daring you to challenge*
  • @Ranshi922 It's only supposed to go to seven because septuplets are the most number of children born at the same time like that. Until someone births more, we're stuck here at seven.
  • But they get exponentially more rare. (And less practical as commanders.)

Twins are common, triplets are rare but not insane. (Still enough to send ripples of awe across my school apparently...), and anything more than that is ridiculous and they’ll end up getting a reality TV show.
  • edited February 2019
    centurion (if this card is your commander, your deck is all placed into your command zone. all spells and land in your command zone are treated as your commander for the purpose of rules effects. you skip your draw phase.)
    up to 100
  • Spam (whenever you post something nonsensical into an encyclopedia, ithir whips a fish across a goblins face, draw 3 cards.)
  • edited February 2019

Vendetta- If an opponent won the previous game, effect happens

The idea is creatures or spells get a boost or an effect that hinders the winner of the previous game. Whether be in a multiplayer game (like a commander play group.) or simply they won a single game in a round, you will punish them in the following game for it. The cards should be playable but not amazing without the effect triggering.
  • Lifelink to (colour) (damage dealt by this creature to a (colour) creature or a player who controls a (colour) permenant, you gain life equal to the damage dealt)
  • Here are my mechanics:

Bless N (When this creature dies, put N +1/+1 counters on target creature. That creature becomes blessed)

Pray N (Repeat N times: roll a 6-sided dice, on a 1 or 2, gain 2 life, on a 3 or 4, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, on a 5 or 6, draw a card)
  • I have been thinking about another mechanic, called 'graveborn'
    Graveborn (This creature can only be cast from your graveyard. When this creature would enter the graveyard from the battlefield, exile it instead.)
  • @KingWatherton how would it be cast if it was only cast-able from the graveyard? Plus it also gets exiled when you do?
  • It would mainly be on creature's, so it wouldn't automatically go to exile immediately. It would still work on other spells as well. I would still count it as cast, though it might end up as just 'play'.
  • @KingWatherton
    I think @EnvyReaper meant, "How is it supposed to get into the graveyard?".

Not realizing, it could still be discarded from hand with the existing clause.