Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• oh yes. If I would use it in a custom set, there would be lots of discard from hand for benefit and/or self mill.
  • What do you think of my new mechanic?
    the current name is dream, but I will probably change it.
    It can be used as an action keyword, and is used in the context "dream the top card of your library" or "dream target creature" (these are just examples). The reminder text: (exile that card with a dream counter on it. for as long as it has a dream counter on it, you may cast it, and spend mana as if it were mana of any color to cast it)
    two questions:
    Do you have any suggestions to improve it?
    does anyone have a good name for it?
  • edited March 2019
    Feel free to use my keyword ability--please give credit.

"Muster - ..., if you control another creature that shares a creature type with [cardname],..."
    Another viable wording (depending on the situation)
    "Muster - ..., if it shares a creature type with [cardname],..."
  • edited March 2019
    'Resonate' (action activated ability)/'Resonant' (permanent static ability) - that's the mechanic name.

'Resonate' (whenever ability activates, copy its effect into the identical phase of controller's next turn as if all cost had been payed and even if this permanent is removed from the game.)

'Resonant' (whenever this permanent leaves the battlefield, its static/activated ability continues until the end step of controller's next turn and even if this permanent is removed from the game.)

Like a ghost from the past...
  • Thieve X. (To Thieve X, create X colorless Gem artifact tokens with "{t}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
  • Mass Produce X. (When this creature enters the battlefield, if its mass produce cost was paid, create a token that's a copy of it, except it doesn't have mass produce)

Example:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vulture-swarm-1
  • edited April 2019
    'Path' [ text ]
    example: draw three cards.
    (previously known as 'Quest'). It enables the abilities for a permanent that were previously locked. As in:

Assault (If a creature with Assault were to enter the battlefield under your control, if it was casted, you may choose to exile it and have it assign damage equal to its power to any target instead. Then put all cards exiled that way into your graveyard.)

Bid: [Text] (When this spell is casted, target opponent may choose to pay its bid cost to counter it.)

Sanity (Cost) (If you draw this card, exile it. When you do, cast it for its Sanity cost or put
    into your hand.)

Incite (When it enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card and it shares a creature type with this card, it gains +1/+1 and Haste until the end of turn. If it isn't, you may put it at the bottom of your library).
  • Awaken X, at the beginning of your turn put X +1/+1 counters on this creature. Almost always paired with an effect that removes awaken and give it some other buff. Used for Eldrazi so far.
  • mentor zombies(When this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking zombie with lesser power) replace zombies with any other creature type, colour etc.
    (Anything you can have protection from).
  • 1000th Comment!

Lifetouch: Whenever this creature deals combat damage, regenerate target creature with that much damage or less done to it.

(Please tell me if I can word that better)
  • @pjbear2005 Lifetouch: Whenever this creature deals combat damage, choose target creature that was dealt equal or less damage. Regenerate it. (????)
    Really the wording is pretty much ok, the problem comes with the regenerate mechanic. Pretty much it became obsolete after Kaladesh. (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Regenerate) If you want something cool with it keep it like that or play with indestructible or return from the "graveyard to the battlefield" or "prevent damage". Good luck!

Back to topic.

Trascend (To trascend a card, exile it with a Trascend
    counter on it. As long as it remains exiled, you
    may cast it as though it was in your hand.)

(You will usually Trascend cards from your library like some sort of card draw, but you can trascend cards from your hand as well.)

Frenzied [Cost] (If you casted this spell for its Frenzied cost before declaring attackers on your turn, copy it and you may choose new targets for the copy.)
  • Here’s a new one:

Prophetic (If this creature would make you draw cards, exile that many cards from the top of your library face down instead. You may look at them at any time and cast those cards for as long as they remain exiled for {1} less.)

Example:

• Reinvent N: (When this creature enters the battlefield, create a token thats a copy of target nontoken artifact you control with converted mana cost N or less.)
  • Some of them are kinda old so I didn't word them very well and I don't think I worded Oppress correctly but basically the amount of mana you spent to activate Oppress is how much the opponent loses. Also, Omnipotence on Deity of Infinity was supposed to be completely broken and a joke. I never planned, and still don't, to put it on anything else.
    image image image
    image image image
  • Connect (Mana Colour 1),(Mana Colour 2): If there is an untapped (basic land that produces Mana Colour 1) on your side of the field you may tap It and put a (basic land that produces Mana Colour 2) from your hand on the field tapped)

example cards:
  • Tame - (Cost). ((Cost): Gain control of this creature.
    Any player may activate this ability.)
  • Mischevious - As long as you control three or more Faeries, (effect).
  • edited May 2019
    Pact N - When you cast this creature (“before this creature enters the battlefield” for tokens), you may pay up to N life and have this creature enter the battlefield with an additional number of +1/+1 counters equal to the amount of life paid this way.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 Pact sounds like a Black mechanic lol
  • edited April 2019
    fragment: When you fragment a creature, you create copies of a creature, distributing power, toughness, and abilities among those copies. Then, you exile the original.
    For example, if you fragmented a Ghalta, Primal Hunter, you would have 12 1/1 green dinosaur creatures, but only one of those creatures would have trample.
  • Energyburst: A red/black keyword that has to do with you being able to pay energy with life.
  • synthesise: When you synthesise, you create a token that is the sum of all cards used in the synthesis, then exile all originals. For example, if you synthesised a Carnage Tyrant with Serra Ascendant, you would have a 8/7 green white human monk dinosaur creature with hexproof, trample, can't be countered, have lifelink AND, if you have 30 or more life, it would have flying and get +5/+5.

Unless specified, you can practically synthesise anything together. For example, a dross scorpion with a basic land card would make a 3/1 land artefact creature that (for example) you could untap whenever another artefact creature dies.
  • Hallucinate: When you hallucinate a creature, you create a 1/1 illusion token copy of a creature for every point in power, then exile the original.
  • @murkletins I think the point is that you have to find a way to get it into the graveyard before you can use it. That's part of the challenge. It's useless if you can't get it into the graveyard, but as an exchange for the inconvenience, it is an unusually powerful creature. You would have to include them into decks that focus on you discarding cards to make your creatures stronger.
  • edited April 2019
    So here are my mechanics if anyone likes them, Full Moon has no color limitations, it simply sets a timer, I designed Reprogram as a Dimir control tool/mill thing; Mutate as a Simic Shenanigan, Hexshield as a more interactive Hexproof, Concatenate as a mainly Izzet thing and Set as some clownery because I wondered why not have morph for instants and sorceries:

Concatenate - You may counter any number of spells you control, if you do [Effect] for each countered spell.

Full Moon. (It's full moon every third turn, if players aren't counting it becomes full moon and start counting)
    As long as it is full moon...

Hexshield {N}. (Counter any spell or ability an opponent controls that targets this permanent unless they pay {N})

Mutate {Cost}. ({Cost}, Reveal this card from your hand: Target creature you control that shares a creature type with this creature card becomes a copy of it until end of turn.)

Reprogram N. - Whenever [trigger], Reprogram N target player. (look at that player's hand and choose up to N cards from among them, that player discards those cards and then draws a card for each card discarded)

Set {Cost}. (You may cast this [instant or sorcery] card face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. You may cast it from the battlefield for it's set cost)
  • edited May 2019
    Warp target creature (Put a +1/+1 counter on it. At the beginning of each of its controller's upkeeps, put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
    Greedy (When this creature enters the battlefield, if another creature has a +1/+1 counter, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature)
    Tax N (Choose up to N permanents. move one counter from each of them to this permanent)
    The last one is Orzhov-Themed cards that are activated as a triggered ability (Like Adapt).
  • Augment - (mana cost) Put an Augment counter onto (Creature's name). (Creature's name) is a colorless cyborg Artifact creature in addition to its other colors and types.

There will usually be an effect that becomes activated once the creature has been augmented.

The mechanic is for a world where a majority of the citizens augment themselves with mechanical limbs, or organs.
  • edited May 2019
    Chained N (This creature enters the battlefield with N chain counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a chain counter from it. Whenever this creature would be dealt damage, instead remove that many chain counters from it if it has any. This creature can't attack as long as it has at least 1 chain counter on it.)

Some things that the reminder text does not elaborate on:

If a creature takes more damage than it has chain counters on it, all of its chain counters are removed, then any abilities that trigger when chain counters are removed from that creature trigger, and then it takes the excess damage.

Because the creature is getting chained counters removed from it as opposed to taking damage, deathtouch does not destroy it because it did not take damage. This was accidental and may be changed after feedback.

The idea here is that this is primarily red and centered around aggression (hence the counters being removed as the creature takes damage; it "pulls" on its chains in anger). I've used it in a lot of black as well.

This may, shockingly, play well in aggro decks if your aggression marks you as a target, making it so you can very quickly get those chain counters removed and release a beast.
  • edited May 2019
    I changed a couple of my mechanics.

Assault

Old: Assault (When this creature enters the battlefield, if you cast it, you may sacrifice it. If you do, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.)

New: Assault (You may exile it. If you do, it deals damage equal to its power to any target. If you target a creature you control this way, this deals damage to it in the form of +1/+1 counters.)

Used it for gruul so far. And it works like explore, it can be trigger as an etb ot however. Just remember that it is extremely powerful.

Transcend

Changed the name, it was previously called Trascend. Illiterate me didn't know that D:

Old: Trascend _____. (Exile it with a trascend counter on it. For as long as it remains exiled, you may cast it.)

New: Transcend _____. (Exile it with a transcend counter on it. You may play cards you own from exile with transcend counters on them.)

Changed cast to play so you can play lands. And added "you own" so you don't play cards with transcend counters that aren't yours.

Also a note for Transcend for the Tome,
    NOTE: You will usually Transcend the top card of your library with red and black as a quick draw. But you can Transcend creatures with white as well so you can keep casting them. You can also put trascend counters on permanents your opponent exiled with blue so you can play them again. So many things you can do!

• edited May 2019
    I made a special enchantment called a song to symbolize the different sections (or movements) in a piece.

All song enchantments will have the following:

(At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a mode that hasn't been chosen. If you can't sacrifice (Cardname).)

Please tell me what you think about it!

Some Examples:

imageimage