(In)Sanity

Hello men, women and assorted homunculi of the internet.

A few weeks ago, I dreamt up the idea for a Dungeons & Dragons campaign based around the idea of a lucid nightmare, and a corresponding, subreality game created by a de-sparked planeswalker with way too much time and way too little care.

The game is based around a device called the Reality Emitter, a metal ring with a lever that goes around. There are five different settings, each on a different colour. Whichever setting the lever is set to changes reality around you, and that color bathes everything you see. In addition, it inflicts you with a different level of madness, as shown on the sanity table in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

But I got to thinking that abiding strictly by this list wasn't the perfect way to go. A few of the options on the list fit being a permanent effect, at least while in that state, but for the most part they don't exactly fit the theme of the world.

So what better way to think up new ones by making a contest here!

It's been a very long time since I've been active on these forums, so I don't think there will be any sort of prize or anything, but I will rank any results that come in, and if they're good, there's a good chance I use them for the campaign!

Your challenge is to create a card that is a permanent sanity effect on the board. The card should be an enchantment (or possibly artifact), legendary or not, aura (or equipment) or not, and should have an effect that encompasses madness or insanity. Here I will provide a couple of examples of effects from the long-term madness table, to give you an idea of what works.

"The character(s) becomes attached to a "lucky charm", such as a person or object, and has disadvantage on Attack rolls, Ability Checks, and Saving Throws while more than 30 feet away from it"

"The character(s) experiences a powerful delusion. Choose a potion. The character imagines that he or she is under its Effects."

Do as you may with this. If I get no responses, I will be perfectly happy with having typed this out of my mind. But for anyone who may try this, good luck and happy smithing!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.