Lose All Abilities Question

Hey everyone! I've got a question about a card I recently made:

I was interested in the Dominate ability and it's wording. Effectively, I want to make it so exiling, say God-Eternal Oketra (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=460943 ) will actually exile her. I didn't know if a permanent moving between zones returned its abilities, so I'm trying to look for a wording so that something like Oketra would be put into exile as an ability-less card, and then at the end of the turn, she gets them back, but nothing happens because she's already in exile and not being "put" there.

Thanks for any help! Cheers and happy smithing!
-Dragoon

Comments

• "When God-Eternal Oketra dies or is put into exile from the battlefield, ..." is an ability that triggers when the creature is on the battlefield, so "Target nonland permanent loses all abilities until end of turn, then exile it." is enough to exile Oketra permanently.

Also for your information; If a permanent leaves the battlefield and put into an other zone, it's no longer called "permanent". It is called "card". So any modifications made to it when it was a permanent become invalid. If I would reword that card's Dominate effect;
    "Choose a card name. Each permanent, spell, and card with the chosen name in any zone loses all abilities until end of turn. Exile target permanent with the chosen name."
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74360
  • Awesome! Thanks so much @Tomigon imma make the change soon
  • @RohanDragoon
    Sorry, ignore this suggestion --> "Choose a card name. Each permanent, spell, and card with the chosen name in any zone loses all abilities until end of turn. Exile target permanent with the chosen name." I think the permanent regain its abilities after it is moved to exile. Now I don't know how to fix it.
  • @Tomigon
    I went with a "Target nonland permanent loses all abilities until end of turn. This effect lasts as that card moves between zones. Then exile it." Hopefully that should cover it moving between zones and regaining the abilities from entering exile and/or continue to cover it as it stops being a permanent
  • @RohanDragoon
    I don't think that works. As I said, if a permanent is moved to exile, it's no longer a permanent. Also, "This effect lasts as that card moves between zones." causes issues like this- An opponent controls a creature with cycling {2}. You make it lose all abilities with effect that says "This effect lasts as that card moves between zones." That opponent returns that creature to their hand, then cycles a card with the same name. You say "You can't do that. I disabled that cycling ability." But the opponent says "I have two copies of this card in my hand". Then you have no way to make them prove they aren't lying.

If exiling Oketra permanently is what you want to do, that card can simply say "Target nonland permanent loses all abilities until end of turn, then exile it."
  • @Tomigon
    If it’s part of the same ability, wouldn’t there be no chance for a player to respond to the card being exiled when it has no abilities? I would think that you could return that creature to your hand before the ability resolves, but that means that the creature keeps its abilities so you’d totally be able to cycle. On the other hand, if the ability resolves, it’s one whole ability so it resolves simultaneously, so you couldn’t say “I’m gonna respond to it losing its abilities but before’s it’s exiled”

I guess it is a tough one at the end of the day. I need something added onto it cause rule 400.7 has “An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence.” So just simply removing the abilities I think wears off once they enter exile, so Oketra would enter exile as an Oketra that wasn’t affected by the ability.

Maybe I could specify that the effect lasts as it moves to exile? Since you exile face up, you’d technically be able to keep track anyways and it should stop any maybe shenanigans with returning to hand or library?
  • "Target nonland permanent loses all abilities until end of turn, them exile it," would be the correct way to word it. If Oketra loses her abilities, they won't trigger once she hits exile. If she has no abilities when she dies/exiles, then there will be nothing to save her once she hits the new zone.
This discussion has been closed.