Eldraine contest primer! challenge (Judged)

Hello fellow cardsmiths, myself wanted to host a primer challenge for our upcoming challenge next month so you know what to expect. The goal here is to make a legendary creatures or legendary planeswalkers that is based around a fairy tale creature type. The creature doesn't require to be tribal based and we'd recommend against it for originality. Now what is the twist? These cards must be viable as Commander creatures.

Quick caveat, in the future challenge you won't be required to design them for the Commander format. But this is a way to challenge those of you interested beforehand.

Prizes:
The top entry's smith wins their choice of a draft booster pack for Thrones of Eldraine, in the US when it arrives and as it can be shipped. Or alternatively 1 month of premium subscription.

For every five participants we get, up to 15 participants, we'll multiply the prize by adding an additional draft booster pack or month of premium subscription to the top entrant.

Entry limit: No limit.
Rules: No other rules, aside from crediting the artist and the challenge premise.

Update: Make sure to join this pal of mine's contest, click here.

Have fun smithing! Wooohoo for Eldraine.

Comments

• Oh and this will end after a week or we have reduced participation.
  • For information some information about the larger upcoming contest which this is a primer for, check here.
  • What's the most common type of villainous animal in fairy tales? The wolf, of course!

• Heckers, we're in action.
  • edited July 2019
  • edited July 2019
    [REDACTED] due to a rule.
  • Changed the rules slightly to allow planeswalkers under the assumption they're allowed as your commander. But @sanjaya666 we can't allow noncreature nonplaneswalker cards. Sorry for the inconvenience!
  • edited July 2019

When the earth was created, 4 deities were assigned to each aspect of earth. Kyra of Ground, Loir of Water, Eyr of Fire, and Darian of Air. Darian proudly rules over the skies, not with brute force but with subtle magic.

• Actually, myself am extending this to at least next month for reasons.
  • edited July 2019
    -
  • edited July 2019

Forgot to credit artist: (Angevere) Ona Kristensen
  • We have officially unlocked another draft booster pack or month of premium subscription. A total of 2;
  • So for this challenge, if we are making a planeswalker, does the planeswalker need to be designed as a "can be your commander" walker or are we supposed to design it in a way that it would be viable almost exclusively in commander?
  • @Arceus8523
    As a "can be your commander" planeswalker, we amended the rules so planeswalkers are allowed because Cat somehow switched their entry without knowing.

But if someone is unable to do a four ability walker, we'll assume that is what they meant.
  • I was using the render of an image from mtg.design, but then i made a new card, so the render changed. My guess. I fixed it now!
  • @murkletins What about now?

• edited July 2019
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • @murkletins
    Do you include Arthurian Legend as a fairy tale (King Arthur/round table/etc.)?
  • My entries. One is based on Red Riding Hood, and the other is... sort of... Sleeping Beauty. I have no idea if the effect I gave her works though, so I'd love feedback on that.

image image

My legendary Big bad Wolf draws on Little Red Riding Hood and "a wolf in sheep's clothing" for flavor. In Little Red Riding Hood the big bad wolf eats Red's grandmother and then disguises himself in her bedclothes. My Big Bad Wolf exiles (or swallows whole) the weakest (or oldest) creature and then gains hexproof from its colors (disguises itself as it). I would have him return the exiled creature when he dies, but that feels more white and the original story ended after the wolf ate both the grandma and Red anyway, only in future adaptations a hunter/woodsman character rescue them.
  • edited July 2019
    Eldraine will be MtG's representation of "Camelot meets Grimm's fairy tales."
    I present the temporary Arthurian Sakashima.
    Suffice it to say that Merlin's transformation of Uther resulted in the birth of King Arthur. Also, I did the research for this, I know virtually nothing of Arthurian Legend other than round tables and swords in stones.
  • @Arceus8523
    Woah, next level, you took all the official art!
  • @Faiths_Guide

What better art to use than art by actual MTG artists with no card (yet) tied to them?
  • edited July 2019
    A new one. Hopefully the flavor here is super strong.
This discussion has been closed.