Flashback #1: Panic Attack! (Participants = Premium Prizes!)

Welcome to Flashback, the contest that gives me deja vu every time I realize no one participates until I guarantee prizes. So here’s to that!

Anyways, I take an old contest that I like, or one that was popular, spice it up, give out prizes, and boom! Do it again!

Rules: Make a card that keeps you from losing the game in a pinch.
- Limit three entries per cardsmith. Entries can be edited or replaced before judging has begun.
- The last “official” day for entering will be Friday, September 13th, but as long as I haven’t officially started judging, you can still enter.
- Avoid unglued cards.
- No entries older than a month at the time of entry.
Ranking Criteria
- 15 Points on balance and realism (Casting cost and colors, rarity, effects, etc.)
- 10 Points on Creativity and Uniqueness
- 5 Points on Wow Factor, Art, Flavor (Text not required), and Proper Grammar and Syntax (Credit art if you can, but you won’t get penalized if you can’t credit the art.)

Prizes: Prizes come in tiers based on the number of unique people that enter.

Tier One: Less than five people
1st: Follow + Favorites on all of your entries plus and two other cards of your choice
2nd: Favorites on all of your entries
3rd: Guaranteed favorite on entry

Tier Two: Five to Nine People
1st: Coin Flip for One Month of Premium + Follow + Favorites on all of your entries and two other cards of your choice
2nd: Favorites on all of your entries
3rd: Guaranteed favorite on entry

Tier Three: Ten to Fourteen People
1st: One Month of Premium + Follow + Favorites on all of your entries and two other cards of your choice
2nd: Favorites on all of your entries plus two other cards of your choice
3rd: Guaranteed favorite all of your entries
4th and 5th: Guaranteed favorite on entry

Tier Four: Fifteen to Nineteen People
1st: One Month of Premium + Follow + Favorites on all of your entries and two other cards of your choice
2nd: Coin Flip for One Month of Premium + Follow + Favorites on all of your entries plus two other cards of your choice
3rd: Guaranteed favorite all of your entries
4th and 5th: Guaranteed favorite on entry

TIER FIVE: 20+ PEOPLE
2nd and 3rd: Coin Flip for One Month of Premium + Follow + Favorites on all of your entries plus two other cards of your choice
4th and 5th: Guaranteed favorite all of your entries
Honorable Mentions: Guaranteed favorite on entry

Anyways, good luck, and happy smithing!

(Original Contest: Emergency Situation Contest by Me. Any information from the contests I reboot is irrelevant. I just like to reference them.)

Comments

• I’ll make something for this, I’ve got an ideal
  • edited August 2019
    The original thread is so old the cards don't exist anymore.
    I'm assuming that the card no longer goes into the command zone. Can panic spells have no casting cost? From the wording of the reminder text, it feels like it should be like suspend cards where you can only cast them under specific circumstances.
  • edited August 2019
    @fiskerton They now work somewhat like traps. They have a cost and can be cast anytime, but if you’d lose the game, BAM!

Any information from the contests I reboot are irrelevant. I just like to reference them.
  • edited August 2019
    [Scratched !]

The problem I see with this panic contest is that the only cards that would be useful to play in a losing scenario in a duel are cards... that prevent you from losing (incredible !). Which means every card here will more or less do the same thing.

This means interesting Panic cards will be exclusively tailored towards multiplayer... which limits their actual use (not everyone plays multiplayer).

But that's just my opinion; I do enjoy multiplayer.
  • edited August 2019
    Like ASubtleGhost, I'm not totally sure this has all that much design space, but I found three cards. I reworded the reminder text a bit because I was concerned about whether the mechanic can take effect when you're about to lose but before you do due to the way state-based effects work.
    imageimageimage
  • edited August 2019
    I think pseudo-modal cards would be best here. Something that can save you in a pinch, but is better if you cast it.

Although, 10 life might be a lot. Not sure. You can potentially gain 40 life when you lose, except if your hand is these 4 cards your board is probably really bad anyway.

• edited August 2019
    (Redacted)
  • edited August 2019
    (Redacted)
  • I still don't have art, but you have seen mine... XD
  • edited August 2019
  • edited August 2019
  • edited August 2019
    [EXPUNGED]
  • edited August 2019
    Edited some text to better reflect it's transformation.

imageimage
    Here's my second entry.
  • edited August 2019
    [REDACTED]
  • edited August 2019
  • edited August 2019
    Granted it won't protect you from some things, but hey, it's a mono blue at least.

• edited August 2019
  • One more contestant away from a guaranteed month of premium for first!

Also, the deadline is officially Friday, September 13th.
  • *Friendly One Week Bump*
  • We’re starting to get to the back half. We’re 15 days away from the end of the contest, so enter soon if you don’t want to miss it!
  • Oh right... I never made my entry. Could someone help find art for it?
  • edited September 2019
    Entry 1, Rework of Teferi's Protection, dunno if it's too broken but meh.
    Entry 2
This discussion has been closed.