The Cardsmith Dinner

2»

Comments

• @ThePhantomJoker

It was a wise choice on Wizards' part to abandon the block stucutre. It had been almost a rule that by the time a third set had come out:
    A) Players were bored of the setting
    B) R&D was running out of mechanical ideas that fit the block
    C) The limited environment was stale and players were hardly even opening the third set to play with in limited (in a three set block, the third set had only two packs in its own prerelease kit!)

Think about a lot of the third sets in blocks: Journey into Nyx, Dragon's Maze, (technically) homelands, Prophecy, Saviors of Kamigawa. With only a few exceptions, the third set in three-set blocks have been among the worst sets in Magic. By abandoning the block stucture, Wizard's is no longer tied down to a certain story, plane, or mechanic, which is especially helpful when something doesn't work out.
  • @Arceus8523 You... got a good point. Yeah... You do.
  • @ThePhantomJoker

That's part of why I only did 1 custom block amid my (wip) eight-set custom standard format, with all the other sets being standalones. It's easier to create a narrative for, keeps me from running out of card art and card ideas, and allows me to explore multiple different ideas and settings I have rather than be tied to just two or three.
  • edited September 2019
    @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Wow, what a nasty curse. You're giving your opponent an advantage while slowly killing them. It would be very devastating against life gain decks, tho.

But just just imagine the situation: "Aaand I cast my awesome big Blightsteel Colosus! Which.. does not have haste... and I die next turn... 'cause I forgot about that curse..."
  • edited September 2019
    @ThePhantomJoker It's not that great tbh. An aggro or burn deck would kill you faster before they reach that point.
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Well, if you're playing against aggro or burn and you've got nothing better to do then you can curse yourself with it for a supply of life-gaining food that might offset all of those Lightning Bolts being aimed at you.
  • edited September 2019
    Dunno why I made this.

• @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos That, my friend, is basically a 22/22 trampler on default. Grant it haste, opponent devastated for sure. I know some combos in modern can win on like turn 4 or whatever, but this card isn't a combo. It's OP on it's own.
  • @ThePhantomJoker Sure it is then. It's just a giant beatstick tho lol. Dunno if I should delete it or let it be.
  • edited September 2019
    [DATA EXPUNGED]
  • edited September 2019
    @KorandAngels I know tgat you are technically giving advantage to your opponent, but assuming they don't have abything good at instant speed, this is just unlimited mana. You can play Emrakul on turn four with this and no one will stop you. Then you can create five more treasures, cast Cleansing Nova (or some simillar effect), destroy all artifacts (destroying the advantage you gave your opponent, so they can't do anything on their next turn), attack with Emrakul on turn four and laugh.

Oh, and it also says "you and another target PLAYER." Two-headed giant - oh look, we have ten thousand treasures and basically Omniscience for four mana in green. What do you have?
  • edited September 2019
    I know. I fixed it.
    (It was for Trade-with-an-opponent challenge in Colonisers S4, but I basically was already allied with the person who I was trading with.)
  • @KorandAngels Sorry, but I think you misunderstood Forecast. The cost always comes with revealing the card from your hand, thus the point of "forecasting" it. Otherwise this is a pretty interesting card.

@Credius Neat card, but I think it could be worded better. For example, you (as a player), don't deal damage. Sources (permanents or spells) do that. So it should say "Dionesian Desiresdeals X damage..." And the other thing is, that when you say "...you MAY sacrifice X Foods..." the sentence that follows should start with "If you do..." Otherwise the card is pretty interesting, thanks for entering :)
  • Welcome to the... 210+ section of the table.

• Someone say food!?

can't leave this out
  • edited October 2019
    Lol decided to have a little fun and do a cross-over, usually not my thing but hey!
  • edited October 2019
  • edited October 2019
This discussion has been closed.