Cardsmith Tournament!

Comments

• @sorinjace, I had already explained that bit...
  • Huh I expected this to go a bit faster did't know it'd take so long just for 1 round since everyone signed up knowing this was gunna happen
  • I experienced this delay as well hosting the survival contest as well. It can be very slow.
  • I submitted this morning I don’t know about @HeroKP though
  • I entered mine! :D
  • @HeroKP Ready or not, here I come!
  • Round 1, Results 4:

@HeroKP
    vs.
    @shadow123

Task:
    Create a Legendary Creature with CMC limit 5.

Thoughts:

Jahrad - Quite the design on this card. I like that the ability's able to be versatile and without having to tap Jahrad himself, you can pump out a couple a turn without ramp. And since they are at most a 3/1 with no keywords, i find that to be fair. Obviously there are lots of things to help tokens and make this card really strong, but alone it's a great way to get a nice presence of creatures, and that's it. It's also a great use of Hybrid mana, Not to mention the overall flavor gives it a great look and feel.

Emmara - Another great use of Hybrid mana and keyword choice. It makes this card have just enough evasiveness to last as long as you want without being too strong. It gives the player great sustain and would prove to be a great addition to token gen. Overall great card, and i have nothing to say against it.

Results:
    This was a tough decision to make here. Both cards are great and have a lot of potential. So i'm wrapping this one up as a tie. Each of you will earn a single favorite for this round.

Please PM with your card you'd like favored, and we will see you in the next round!
  • Round 1, Results 5:

@Aggroman15
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Task:

Thoughts:

Atuen - Oh boy, Hydras. The powerhouses of green. I love em, and i hate em. But this card is pretty sweet. It's quite unique and pretty flavorful. The only thing that catches my eye is the last ability. The way it is currently worded, i believe would not properly work. State-based actions check in between every other action. So the creature would already be in the graveyard by the time this creatures ability would even be put onto the stack. I feel a more proper wording would be as follows: "Whenever a creature you control without a +1/+1 counter would take lethal damage, prevent that damage and put a +1/+1 counter on it." Apart from that, this is a very nice card.

Yenril - This is a fairly nice card as well. I like the choices you get to make and those choices don't make him unbalanced. It's got versatility and structure, and can be used in almost any deck with red, and be able to get some profit. And on top of that, with him being a 3/2 its not hard to remove him with quick burn so it's not too bad, not too bad at all. Great job on this.

Results:
    Congratulations to @TheWanderer with "Yenril, Acluan Warlord"! This card had a better overall structure, and made a great first impression. And since Atuen's last ability drug it's score down for me, Yenril held his ground and claimed victor.

@TheWanderer Please send a PM of two cards you'd like favored.

@Aggroman15 Remember to keep in touch with the discussion, there is always a chance you get to make a reappearance in later rounds!

Now i best get to work on the other two I still gotta do!
  • Round 1, Results 6:

@MonkeyPirate2002
    vs.
    @Dom_Rocks

Task:

Thoughts:

Demetrius - Oh, two life costs wrapped into one ability. Not bad. I like this creatures overall concept, draw cards and create creatures. Big fan. I feel the life costs aren't too extravagant due to the colors, and i feel it provides a great flavor for the card. Great job on this card, i feel it could hold it's place and be a great staple in a deck.

Bal - I also love me some B.A. knights, especially when involving black! This card has some great uses, and has quite the unique second ability. Putting a -1/-1 counter on it to deal more damage directly to a player. And this is great if a player has a nice wall of creatures you can't breakthrough. The first ability is nice too, but i feel it should be red cost rather than black, or maybe one of each. Black isn't as known for dealing direct damage without something to follow up with it, or without doing it to each creature on the field. Also, why the period after deathtouch?

Results:
    Another tough decision to make, but @MonkeyPirate2002, you came out on top with "Demetrius, The Mad Mistral"! You card was well rounded, and was pristine. @Dom_Rocks , my only real complain was the mana cost on the first ability, and the period after deathtouch. Yes i know it's silly, but keywords don't need periods since they aren't a sentence, more rather a list.

@MonkeyPirate2002 Please send me a PM of two cards you'd like favored.

@Dom_Rocks Please stick with the discussion for a possible comeback in later rounds.

Now, onto the next!
  • @shadow123

Well, well well! Looks like there was no best card. Huh.
  • Round 1, Results 7:

@Termite1
    vs.
    @Vert

Task:

Thoughts:

Dela - Oh man, lot's of people are loving tokens lately. I like how this card fits perfectly with it's colors, and is purely for creature presence. It's a simple card, with a simple task, but that task makes the difference a deck might need. A nice card to be put in any token deck if i do say so myself.

Ikranos - Wow. What. A. Monster. 6/4 and Menace. Brutality at it's finest. This is a great card. Because as long as you can pay up, you're opponents will flee in terror. This guy has a strong presence in a proper deck built for Snow permanents, and honestly, its very flavorful. The only downside is if a person were too carried away trying to keep him around and ruins their boardstate, it's probably gameover.

Results:
    Congratulations @Termite1 your card "Dela, The Rose Bloom" takes the victory here! The card itself is quite simple, but it allows you to benefit from mill tactics, and if you had ways of flickering this, *Cough* Conjurer's closet *cough*, you'd be in a great place. It's no where near as cruel as a Grave Titan, since it's only got half of his abilities, so it's manageable. And on top of that Ikranos just wan't holding up due to being such an easy target. The 6/4 and Menace is great, but i feel he wouldn't do much past a board wipe the turn after you play it since at that point you might be sacrificing lands, and no one likes that. As well as, It should be a "Legendary Snow Creature - Zombie Giant". Snow is added to type, not subtype.

@Termite1 Please send me a PM with two cards to favor.

@Vert Please keep the discussion in mind, as you may become a competitor once again!

I got one more to do, oh boy.
  • Round 1, Results 8:

@JackDraco
    vs.
    @Tommia

Task:

Thoughts:

Obrae - First off, color identity is spot on. Next, Queen is not a subtype. I feel it should be Noble, rather. Other than that is straight to the point, and well designed apart the subtype. It's a great creature that just resonates "I am your leader". Not much more to be said.

Tsurszaza - Now this is quite unique. I respect the discard game. And this card, he lives for it. It's a nice balance of starting small, and growing into a monstrous powerhouse. Plus opponents can get benefit off the card as well, quite a unique way to get your opponents to possibly help you defeat them in the near future. Complete synergy with itself and plenty of other cards out there.

Results:
    Conratulations @Tommia with "Tsurszaza, Kithi's Last". A great card with a way to help everyone, so it's not an immediate target. And it let's opponents draw cards, yeah they discard some too, but they come out on top and that means they just get to accelerate while your creature just gets bigger and bigger if they don't discard more cards. As for Obrae, the subtype being Queen instead of Noble is only part of the reason. The rest of it is due to the creature being too simple. If you had played with the ability and made it interact more with creatures with flying, i'd have given it more credit, but just protection isn't much. Especially since there's no involvement of reach so they can only benefit from this when being blocked by creatures with flying.

@Tommia Please send me a PM with two cards you would like favored.

@JackDraco Please be sure to keep up with the discussion, as you may get called back in at a later time for some sweet sweet redemption!

That is all for now, i believe i am waiting on two more entries?
  • @HeroKP I guess so. Nice job!

@Norzael Please fave my entry.
  • @Norzael doh, you're right... I had intended to use "Noble". Whoops!

The card is pretty simple. The big benefit of the protection is that you, the player, also have protection, which means they aren't going to be attacking you. So all they could do is block your creatures, but that's where the other half of the protection comes into play.

I respect your decision and will continue to watch the thread. Congrats @Tommia!
  • @JackDraco Thank you! Like your entry btw.
  • @Norzael did you get my entry?
  • @Norzael Do you mind if I save up my faves and cash in all at once at the end?
  • @HeroKP yes that is perfectly fine.
  • @shadow123 All entries get a favorite, so please give me an additional. :)

@Blazin_Biscuit Yes i did get it. I was scouring through my messages to realize your opponent put their entry on my profile page rather than a PM. So i will get to that ASAP.
  • @Norzael, how much longer til the next round?
  • @Ranshi922

When i finish all of the round 1 results. That way i can reorganize the listings and everyone will have an immediate pairing/grouping.
  • edited October 2019
    Round 1, Results 9:

@Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @Je_Suis_Oluwa

Task:

Thoughts:

Marrow - First off, that first ability reads a bit weird at first. But only because it's reverse of normal additional costs. Not holding it against you, it's a genius way to use it and i wanted to point it out. Discard a land to effectively pay for 3 generic? Heck yeah, great job on that. Next, the rest of this card is so sweet, it's giving me cavities. Making only the creatures power only scale with the Rats is a great way to balance this card out. Because that way it's potential to hurt is real heavy, but you can still throw 3 1/1's to block it and boom. So again, great work on this.

Braybarch - Another absolute monster. Now i know the other card can hit high numbers, but this one, this one reaches just a little farther a lot quicker. Cast this bad boy, boom. Crazy huge creature in a mono green. But the downside to this guy is having to pay for trample and hexproof. Mostly trample. This makes the card that much more respected though. Makes it a target, with a cost for evasion. A great way to balance it out. The only difference between this card and the other's power spikes is that this one is a single boost of power. Whereas the other gradually creeps up.

Results:
    Holy cow. Both these cards are crazy good and it's not an easy task to decide who wins. So lets put our hands together for @Blazin_Biscuit with "Marrow and the Unholy Hoard". This card took the victory for it's creative way to use the additional cost, since most of additional costs, are literal costs with not much upside if any. Also the creature was very well rounded. Very appealing. Great job again!

@Blazin_Biscuit Please send me a PM of two cards you would like favored.

@Je_Suis_Oluwa Please remember to keep in touch with the discussion. Losing doesn't always mean you don't get a second chance!

I am going to update roster now.

• I am still waiting on @ASubtleGhost to send me their entry, so i may finish up round 1.
  • @Norzael There's also me, off in my little bye round. I won't be able to make a card until sometime tomorrow (for me). If that last entry comes in and you want to get the second round moving, feel free to do so and I'll just get my first entry in marginally late, assuming that's acceptable.
  • Thanks @Norzael; I lost to a worthy opponent - I will keep in touch with the contest!
  • @MemoryHead Yes that is fine. :)
  • Round 1, Results 10:

@sorinjace
    vs.
    @ASubtleGhost

Task:

Thoughts:

Jura - Now this is quite a unique design. Turning dinos into vehicles. It's a very nice way to enhance the gameplay around them and buff them altogether. The card has a nice balance to it and makes an interesting way to play dinos.

Lashka Val - Another unique design. Granting protection based off of the first spell cast each turn. This really is a nice touch and i feel like you could keyword the hell out of that. It's not super strong and provides an additional way to have evasion in pretty much any color, or even with colorless creatures. And that second ability makes the evasion even better. It lets your opponent make a decision of blocking you and letting you have the potential of life gain and draw with losing a creature, or take the damage. Its a very nice card and very flavorful for a sojutsu style warrior (in relation to the art).

Results:
    Congratulations @ASubtleGhost with "Lashka Val, Audacious Vanguard"! You move onto the next round! I feel everything about this card had such good synergy. Your ability to give protection is quite wonderful, and i feel you should slap a name on it and throw it into the Mechanix Encyclopedia. And in addition the whole card felt like it was hand picked to follow up with the art and provided a great representation to it. As for Jura, this was also a great card, and an awesome way to represent the use of dinos as a vehicle. But it just wasn't enough to top Lashka Val.

@ASubtleGhost Please PM me two cards you'd like favored and be ready for round two!

@sorinjace Remember to keep in touch with the discussion. You may come back in a later round!

My next post will be the beginning of ROUND 2!

• Heh... guess it's time to "bring the heat"?

Don't judge me.
  • edited November 2019
    WELCOME TO ROUND 2!

Here is the updated roster!

@Tommia
    vs.
    @SteampunkDragon
    -------------------
    @Ranshi922
    vs.
    @Stormbreath
    -------------------
    @Shadow123
    vs.
    @MemoryHead
    -------------------
    @Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @Termite1
    -------------------
    @ASubtleGhost
    vs.
    @TheWanderer
    -------------------
    @Shmoohawk
    vs.
    @HeroKP
    -------------------
    @MonkeyPirate2002 - Bye Round

Round Two:
    You find yourself in the mystical land of your opponent, and its up to you to describe it. I want you to create me an Enchantment that is influenced by your opponents submission from round 1.

Guidelines:
    Card Type: Enchantment
    Colors: Include only any of the colors of your opponents submission from round one.

Have fun and feel free to ask any questions, if you have any, about this round.

Happy Smithing!
This discussion has been closed.