The Phobia Challenge

So I want to challenge you all to create cards based on phobias. WOTC has actually printed a few like Pyrophobia, Triskaidekaphobia, and Claustrophobia.

image image image

But there are way more phobias that aren't represented out there. For example: Agoraphobia by me

Or Anuptophobia by @Ranshi922:

So then Rules

1. New cards only
2. Must be based on a phobia (repeats are allowed)
3. Can be any card type
4. Limit 3 entries please
5. YOU MUST CREDIT THE ARTIST (or your entry will be disqualified). What does crediting the artist mean:
- You must make a good faith effort to find the original artist's name or username (for sites like
pintrest/deviantart/flickr etc.) and use that name in the box in cardsmith crafter labeled "Artwork artist"
- If you cannot find the artist after a good faith effort, please note this somewhere in your entry post
- You will not be penalized if you failed after making a good faith effort
6. Contest will close in 2 weeks (December 14th, 2019)

And Judging Criteria (in order of importance)

1. Flavor: How well does your card represent the phobia?
2. Balance: Does your card fit in its power level? - ie. is it realistic and how likely would WOTC be to print a similar card?
3. Creativity: In what interesting mechanical way does your card represent the phobia?

Points will be awarded 1-5 for each category. The card with the highest points will win first place, the next highest points will win second, etc.

So what do you win?

First place: 5 favorites
Second place: 3 favorites
Third place: 2 favorites
Up to 3 honorable mentions (at my discretion): 1 favorite

And some additional prizes (at my discretion):

Best flavor overall: 1 favorite
Most well balanced: 1 favorite
Most Creative: 1 favorite
Best flavor text: 1 favorite
Chaos pick (a randomly chosen entry): 1 favorite (pray to the RNG gods)

And that's about it. Oh, and here's a handy Phobia List if you need some inspiration. Ganbatte!

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Kabourophobia, I happen to be scared of crabs:
    Also, it is incredibly mean and disagreeable to not let people to enter if they don't credit the artist. Sometimes doing so is not possible.
  • edited December 2019
    @KorandAngels
    Far less disrespectful than not crediting the artist. Your point is moot mute.
  • @KorandAngels, The artist put a lot of work into the art. It is right that they should get credit for it. a lot of the times, u can just use the username of the deviantart/pintrest account instead.
  • I tried.
    Besides, it's a photograph which I could have taken, since I happen to have encounted this very same type of crab. And it wasn't on deviantart/artstation or pintrest or anything. @Benw gave me the artist credit anyway, luckily. Apparently, it's Rob and Stephanie Levy who took the photo. Sorry.
  • Is PTSD a phobia? It makes you afraid of certain things. And does new mean made just for this or like maybe a week before?
  • (It's not that I didn't respect the persons work enough to credit their picture, it's that I didn't know who the artist was.)
  • @KorandAngels
    The reason you were called out is because the way you said it was rude and insensitive rather than a humble request. Hence you looked like you were entitled.

We'll leave it at that, since there's no reason to highlight this further.

Just remember to word your comments respectfully, if you want that same respect.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/the-battle-ended
    Sorry the artist is not credited, I followed the link from the image and the person who posted it on a Fandom wiki didn't credit the artist, so I couldn't figure it out.
  • Claiming Ecophobia
  • edited December 2019
    Claiming Hazmophobia

Explanation is on the card.... Yes, I have a hazmat fad, enjoy!
  • edited December 2019
    Arachnophobia - The Fear of Spiders
    I hope it's balanced :V
  • edited December 2019

Ecophobia - Fear of home
  • the artist credit rules have been updated. but also posting here for clarity:

5. YOU MUST CREDIT THE ARTIST (or your entry will be disqualified). What does crediting the artist mean:
    - You must make a good faith effort to find the original artist's name or username (for sites like
    pintrest/deviantart/flickr etc.) and use that name in the box in cardsmith crafter labeled "Artwork artist"
    - If you cannot find the artist after a good faith effort, please note this somewhere in your entry post
    - You will not be penalized if you failed after making a good faith effort
  • Did I inspire this @zephyr6066?
  • On the notes of artist recognition. If I am unable find the artist directly, I usually put where I did find the artwork, i.e, Wallpapersmug, WallHere, etc.
  • edited December 2019
    image image image

• Apeirophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of infinity.
    As far as I can tell from documented cases of apeirophobia, it is an intensified form of the standard existential dread that most people feel looking out at a night sky, realizing exactly how insignificant they are on a universal scheme.
  • Anuptophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of staying single (forever).
    Interestingly, cases of anuptophobia vary in whether it is dealing with the extraneous fear of staying single forever, or simply the state of remaining single. I would make a single joke about this, but that'd be insensitive.
  • Barophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of gravity.
    Interestingly enough, the definition of barophobia isn't specific on whether or not it has to do with gravity as it pertains to falling or not. In the cases where it might, I remind you all of the classic line "I'm not afraid of heights; I'm afraid of falling."
  • Ceraunophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of storms, and thunder in particular.
    In my research, I found that there were about 3 different -phobia words that meant fear of storms, which also highlighted the thunderous aspect of them. There likely are micro-differences between them, but I have yet to look into that.
  • edited December 2019
    Dementophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of insanity.
    As many of you noticed, my card about the fear of insanity features the mechanic, madness. This was intentional, as when dealing with phobias, you will come across many ironies, most of which are, upon further inspection, intentional. To illustrate my point, I present aibohphobia, the fear of palindromes.
  • @Ranshi, the fear of falling is Basophobia (basiphobia) is a natural fear and is typical of most humans and mammals, in varying degrees of extremity. It differs from acrophobia (the fear of heights), although the two fears are closely related. The fear of falling encompasses the anxieties accompanying the sensation and the possibly dangerous effects of falling, as opposed to the heights themselves. Those who have little fear of falling may be said to have a head for heights. Basophobia is sometimes associated with astasia-abasia, the fear of walking/standing erect.
  • Listen... it is was commentary on something that people say... and general musings.
  • Chionophobia - The intense or otherwise irrational fear of snow.
    Seeing as I have not yet done proper research into chionophobia, I will forego any commentary, lest it is interpreted as me presenting facts.
  • @Ranshi, I actually came up with the idea after waking up from a nightmare about repeatedly falling to death off a cliff and ended up browsing cardsmith for phobia inspired cards. I found a few of yours (actually used anuptophobia in the challenge post) and wanted to see what else people could come up with lol
  • @zephyr6066, I just noticed there was a limit entry... any chance you could drop that? :)
  • I'm not afraid of falling, I'm afraid of hitting the ground.
This discussion has been closed.