Flip Cards, Transforming Cards, Two-Sided Cards

I'm fascinated by the design possibilities in this space. The Kamigawa guys, the Werewolves, the morphs.

Can you think of a way for a card to have more than two sides? I would like to have a card that's more complicated than a level up card, but that levels up. I'm not sure how to do it.

Also, here is my favorite creation:

Comments

• edited March 2020
    The main way I can think of to achieve a triple-sided card (and perhaps the most obvious) would be a transforming card where one side is also a Kamigawa flip card or something similar. You've also got the whole morph thing, but since that renders one of the three sides a 2/2 for 3 in all cases then it doesn't really count.

If you mean a card that physically had three sides, I don't think it's something MTG would ever do. Mark Rosewater talked about something similar in the BlogAtog post below, though. I looked into it briefly and it just isn't something that fits with MTG.
    https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/188311340838/could-you-hypothetically-make-a-three-sided-token
  • @MemoryHead

Honestly a Kamigawa flip transitioning into a transformation would be VERY hard to balance
  • edited March 2020
    Such a dish was served in the tavern almost exactly one year ago:
    image image

(I had to "create" the art for the flip card by combining two of Anna's pieces.)
  • edited March 2020
    Three sided cards are theoretically functional. In Force of Will, three sided rulers have a front and back side, and then the back side has a fold that flips over to reveal a new face, usually indicated by an ability that lets it transform again.
  • There are the Ravnica split cards (Fire//Ice, etc). Why not do that, but with three options?
  • edited March 2020
    Me and @DrakeGladis made a meld card once.
    image image
  • I also tried to make a card that transforms into a sorcery, then goes into your hand. But apparently, in your hand it's impossible for the rules to tell if it's face up or not.
  • Wow, what great ideas everyone!!
  • edited March 2020

Something I made a long time ago (2018); I decided to fix these four cards.
  • So.. partners which both transform.
  • edited March 2020

• That is a flip card
  • @DrakeGladis how does Fatecast work?
  • When it would die, cast the "fate" side.  That would be Fearsome Lich
  • Isn't that just how normal transforming cards work?
  • @KorandAngels Yes, but the same could be said of all keywords. They do something that you could just write out manually, but if you've got lots of cards in the same set doing that same thing then it's far better to keyword.

This Fatecast mechanic, for example, might do well in a set based around the past, present and future for the purpose of telling little internal "what happened after this creature died" stories. It might be used a lot in that theoretical set and so would be keyworded to save space and give cohesion to cards.
This discussion has been closed.