At the Portrait's Rim **Circuit Challenge**

Comments

• edited April 2020
    Comment Deleted.
  • Here's a few examples of a custom frame I just came up with called Shifting cards. They have a different text box depending on how much you pay for X. The first one explains how it works, and the second is a bigger, cooler example.

• Repost because I guess the edit timer has changed since the last time I tried to edit a comment. Changed the creature type and made a small change to the third panel.

• Entry for existing frames:

I unfortunately didn't have enough characters to put in the last line on the bottom left
  • Get your entries in soon!
  • Alright. This is my first time making a card with any kind of this creative text but here goes.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/krolan-adept-summoner
  • This is my single old card:

Boneyard Explorer

Note that if an adventure spell is put into exile for any other reason than resolving, you cannot cast the creature. That is what happens with Boneyard explorer’s ability.
  • Simple combination of cumulative upkeep and level up:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/stampede-vanguard 
  • A saga with a non-lore counter ability; I had to remove the reminder text to make it fit.
  • @MemoryHead, are we allowed to remove submissions to edit them?
  • edited April 2020
    @Mir-151414 Sure, go ahead.
  • @Arceus8523, I haven't been on this thread in a while! Thanks for showing off the good looking version... XD
  • There's probably about a day to go until I start judging this, so anybody planning on making any last-minute entries should make them now.
  • @DomriKade, hurry up! It's about to close!
  • Another entry for new frames - this one was a pain to make:

Simply put, enters as either a 1/1 Sigiled Starfish or Pinger, and whenever you cast a spell, it flips. I used some shortcuts for wording in order to make it fit (similar to how they did with Partner with.) I wrote a bit more about Persona in the comments
  • Oh I love that!
  • Last-minute indeed:

• Vault Looter
    Most likely my final card... these things are a pain to get the spacing right with.
  • This is now closed for judging. I'll figure out and post the results and winners at some point in the near future (probably in the next day or so). Thanks for your entries, everybody!

• One more entry?
  • @IonStorm66n Ah, sure. I hadn't started judging yet anyway and I'd honestly kind of expected something like this to happen.
  • edited May 2020
    So, judging time. I've decided to do the two categories in separate comments so that I can look like I'm doing something while I try to figure out what I think of all of the custom entries. The real-frame entries are first.

To begin, an honourable mention: @Fantastickill7's Wandering Knight. The concept and flavor of the card feel good, but it was let down by the fact that both Adventure and creature feel somewhat underpowered for their costs and rarity, and how it feels like such a flavor miss that it's a Knight finding food rather than a creature type like Scout or Peasant. The latter might have needed slightly different art, admittedly, but Eldraine's Knight cards never had any direct association with food (one or two had indirect ones). Ah, I don't know.

Regardless, you win 1/4 of a Circuit Point (unless you have another entry that ends up placing higher in the custom frame category, in which case that Circuit Point score will override this one) and a favorite on the card.

Now, on to the podium. In third place is @shadow123 and their entry of Boneyard Explorer. The concept is a good one and nicely executed, and the card just generally feels like something that might have seen print in Throne of Eldraine.

You win favorites on your entry and one other card of your choice along with 1/2 of a Circuit Point (unless you do better in another category, as stated before).

Second place goes to Stampede Vanguard, made by @Faiths_Guide. Deciding which of the categories this actually fitted into was something that I had to put a lot of thought into, but I decided that it belonged here as a variant on level up in the end and also because I'm disorganised and forgot about trying to establish which one it was supposed to be for immediately. The idea of re-purposing level up style frames for other types of counter is one that I like a lot, and the overall flavor of the card is fantastic.

You win favorites on Stampede Vanguard and two other cards of your choice, along with 3/4 of a Circuit Point.

And finally, in first place...

is...

Tales of Heroes by @TheCenterOfTheUniverse!

The way in which this card works is just generally wonderful. The balance seems good, the interactions between abilities are well thought-out, the idea of an additional passive on a Saga card is nice, and the flavor of the little 1/1 "hero" beginning the journey, growing in skill and finally going forth to do battle against the foe is wonderful.

You win a favorite on Tales of Heroes, along with favorites on four other cards of your choice. You also win one Circuit Point. Congratulations!

Thank you to everybody who entered this category! If you want a slightly more detailed explanation of why your card did / didn't get where you hoped it would, feel free to either send me a direct message on the subject or just ask about it here. Thanks again, and I'll try to get the custom frame results up as soon as possible!
  • edited May 2020
    Congrats to the winners!
  • Congrats to the winners!
  • Yay! That’s awesome! Congrats to the winners of this category!
This discussion has been closed.