Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @Temurzoa Thanks for the feedback! I had thought about Thalia, but I realized that Hellbent wasn’t in the Innistrad block, but I think it probably would have fit fine. Thanks again!
  • @MemoryHead Divergence as an idea is excellent! I commented on both cards.

My card:

I’m not sure about the balance on this one.

Channeling Grounds
  • edited May 2020
    @shadow123 Nice card! I think it seems pretty balanced. 

My card:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/geist-riders

Im not sure on the rarity.
  • edited May 2020
    @Dizzydude One thing is, yes the rarity has to change. A rare would be better. 

Way off balanced. It should cost at least 6 mana if not 7. The spirit creating ability is just way too strong. You attack with just 1 creature, you create 1 spirit.

Also it should have flying itself.

My card:

Deaths Awakening

• edited May 2020
    @joemamajoe, you've already seen my criticism, so you know what I think. Good job overall!
    Here's my card, mostly looking for feedback on the mechanic:

• edited May 2020
    @LordTachanka123. Hmm. Nice idea. Definitely feels like a Rakdos card. Also I like the name for the custom mechanic, really nails the flavor of Rakdos. The mana generation seems a little strong giving you 3 mana on turn 2, but nothing crazy broken alone. However, the broken part is the fact you can have this + faithless looting and burning inquiry, or cathartic reunion and kill a creature or two (depending on the size of them.) or shrink one big creature while also having access to two mana on turn one!! For changes, I'd probably make the minus counter ability be a 1 damage effect. Maybe also make the land either enter tapped while still adding BR or enter untapped and be able to tap for B or R. The last ability is pretty nice against land destruction though. Maybe make a way for the land to synergize with the mechanic? Like forcing their creatures to attack this turn or something. @LordTachanka123, a very interesting card.

Well. here's a new custom mechanic I made on some cards. Pretty excited to get these reviewed.

Dragonfire Phoenix

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dragonfire-phoenix-1

Woodland Mender

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/woodland-mender-1?list=user
  • Oh, I remember opportunity @Liwg.
  • edited May 2020
    @LordTachanka123 Yeah. Made some cool payoff cards.

• @Liwg Right, so I'll start by talking about the mechanic:

- There doesn't need to be a hyphen between Opportunity N and the reminder text.

- In the reminder text, the numerical "2" should be the word "two", and any equivalent numbers should have the same logic applied. In fact, the wording in general of opportunity should probably look something like:

Opportunity N (You may tap N untapped creatures you control as you cast this spell.)

- If you go and look at a similar mechanic, kicker, you'll see that it has terminology relating to it that makes it far less clunky. I'd recommend that you do something similar. To reword the entirety of Woodland Mender to give an example:

Opportunity 2 (You may tap two untapped creatures you control as you cast this spell.)

When Woodland Mender enters the battlefield, if it was [Term], draw a card.

Whenever you cast a spell, if it was [Term], draw a card.

- In terms of the mechanic itself from a design perspective, it feels like a slow, restricted version of kicker. Cards and decks based around it need to have a lot of creatures before they can really use it, meaning that it's easily crippled by removal and control elements such as counterspells and boardwipes. In addition, if it were a major thing in a format, it would be really slow, as higher opportunity costs will often involve you leaving yourself wide open on the blockers front for a turn.

As said, it also leans heavily towards creature-heavy design and builds. While that can be totally fine, it means that if it's a central mechanic then creature-light decks are being made to suffer, and while that might be acceptable then it seems a little painful if the whole set's aimed at it. I don't really know on that front, to be honest. I don't know what you're planning to do with it, I don't know what colors and factions it'd be aimed at if it's for a set as I suspect it is, and I haven't got enough experience with build-polarising mechanics like it.

- If I was designing something with this, I'd probably just use kicker or find a way to broaden the mechanic's use and logistics safely. However, I understand that you might want to use this for whatever reason, so all of that's your call.

In terms of the individual cards:

- The Phoenix looks fine unless there ends up being some ridiculous trickery you can do with it. Basically, just be careful with wider design of cards with the mechanic. The name seems a little odd since there's nothing that suggests dragons to me about it, but hey.

- The Mender uses art clearly portraying it as an Elf (pointy ears), so you should probably change the creature type. Also, the artist is KateMaxpaint.

- In terms of the ability, the Mender's also something that really needs wider context (how many cards with low opportunity costs are there etc.) but it certainly seems strong at a guess. Also notable is the fact that nothing about the abilities suggest it being a healer of some sort, so you might want to change the "Mender" in the name or change the abilities.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next is this nutcase. Give it a comment and / or a favorite, then post up to two cards of your own.

• I believe that our Goblin friend seems a little strange, as you wouldn't want to use his haste on unless you cast him turn one and your opponent can't block. His second form makes a lot more sense, as it keeps him alive. 
    His third form in my opinion would be really fun with a Krenko, or maybe a Squee.
    Overall, really cool card @MemoryHead!

• edited May 2020
    @LordTachanka123. Let's see know. Wow. This is a crazy card. It's an eight mana with hexproof, that makes mutate, adapt, and augment, and it's also a payoff too. It's also cool it makes a mask token that can be attached to something. 

Ok. This card seems really strong. If you look at it, it can be a 8 mana win the game card which is pretty common in blue, but not really green. Still really cool though. I do think it could be a bit OP when casting this onto a board with only one mutated creature because you would just win the game then and there. However, one thing I did notice is that the mask token can be put on itself and the card can win the game on it's own, (unless you have more creatures on the field that aren't combined with another card.) This plus hexproof gives the other play absolutely no way of stopping it outside of a wrath effect. Maybe make the token only attach to other creatures or give Hybrid Mechana shroud instead of hexproof? but only if you see fit in doing so. The card seems like it would be way too OP if put in a deck including only it and some good ramp spells, but honestly, looks like an awesome card. 

Ok. Here's another mechanic I made called dream which is pretty cool.

Slumbering ScribeComfy Bed

• @Liwg, I think this is how Dream should be worded:

"When this permanent enters the battlefield, you may have it have a dream. If you do, tap it, and it doesn't untap during your untap step until you have taken damage."

Thoughts?
  • edited May 2020
    @Temurzoa First off, the wording has a few super minor issues. It should probably be:
    Exile all cards from your graveyard. For each creature card exiled this way, create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 0/0. For each noncreature, nonland card exiled this way, put a +1/+1 counter on each token created this way. Then put all lands exiled this way onto the battlefield tapped.
    There's also a comma missing in the original's "noncreature nonland". I just can't underline it here, so I may as well mention it seperately.

In terms of the card itself, it seems well-done. It makes a neat high-cost finisher for self-mill decks, the mana cost seems right, and while it is powerful then it has its counters and suffers from the fact that it doesn't chain remotely well, because one consumes all of the resources that the next might feed on.

I feel like the name might seem a little odd in a vacuum (without the accompanying lore and flavor knowledge), but it works well enough along with them.

Basically, the card's got a few borderline-insignificant grammar issues, and other than that it's good.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More of the same from me. I think I might try to finish up a cycle of cards using this frame at some point. Anyhow, give it a comment of some sort and / or a favorite, and then you can post up to two cards of your own.

EDIT - I've just noticed that I've messed up and that there's a name difference between the text box and actual name on the card (Keeper in name, Warden in text box). I guess this is just to say that I'm already aware.

• @MemoryHead Commented. You're always surprising me with your creative designs!

My card:
    Lord Tachanka Grim Lord
  • edited May 2020
    I think that your card represents perfection, both mechanically and story wise.
    @shadow123

• @shadow123, Deathless should be worded like this:

Deathless (When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.)

• edited May 2020
    Ok @shadow123. Wow! What an interesting card.
    First thing I have to say, I really like how this card has LordTachanka123's username in it. I imagine this is his mtg character in a card perhaps? If so, really awesome. I still need to try and do something like this myself lol. Secondly, I really like the creative mechanic, while it can be quite strong, it's totally fine since it only comes back at end of turn. Also I really like the ability when it enters, making the opponent not want to block it and kill it which will be hard considering its a 7/3.  Overall, love the flavor in this one and amazing card @shadow123

@Temurzoa. Oooo! This card is interesting too. A U/B clone that exiles from the graveyard that can recur. Very strong, interesting, and simple card. Also is a pretty nuts bomb for a U/B control deck.

Dream SovereignNightmare Sovereign

• Actually @Liwg, all credit for card creation goes to @shadow123

• @LordTachanka123. Ok. lemme just fix that

• @Liwg Thanks for the compliments, it makes me feel really happy!
    @Temurzoa Thanks for the wording suggestion! I actually didn’t want any death triggers to trigger on this card. I feel like that could get too powerful. Your suggestion is probably better than what it is currently nevertheless.
  • @Liwg This is a very nice pair of cards! The only real gripe I could come up with is that shadow is a bit of a parasitic mechanic, but as long as that's kept in mind, both cards are very well-balanced.

Here's my card, which I'm not super confident in, especially the flip side. Wording is weird and balance is hard.

• @Bigballa2211 You need to leave feedback on @FangQuil’s cards before you post your own. That’s how the rules of this discussion work.
  • @shadow123 Sorry I did not know that
  • edited May 2020
    @FangQuil your cards appear to be very interesting and well balanced. I have not been playing Magic: the gathering for a long time (2-3 years) but from experience with custom cards, yours are very well done and would actually seem like a legit card.
  • @Bigballa2211 Great! That means your cards are next!
  • @shadow123 I hope they meet your expectations. if they don't I will edit them if necessary. 
  • @Bigballa2211
    Nice cards! I have a few things to say about them though. I think Dismal Thing should be a rare and you should italicize the rules text. The partner creatures work well together, and that's good. Elisha is probably undercosted by 2 mana because the destroy ability is quite powerful. I think it should trigger when she attacks as well. It also should be worded like this (using the attack trigger, not beginning of combat phase):

Whenever, Elisha, Crimson Daughter attacks, destroy up to three target tapped creatures.

As for Salaviche seems undercosted by 1. I think his ability should be worded like this:

Whenever a creature an opponent controls is dealt damage by an instant or sorcery spell, if Salavic, the Crimson Sun is tapped, tap that creature.

I'm not too sure on Salavic's wording because I don't think it addresses everything in that ability. I hope this helps!!

My card:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sacrificial-rites-1
  • Only problem I see is the grammar in the last ability.
    "Each player loses life equal to the amount of blood counters on it this card"
    @tookie1

Here's my card.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tachankas-hunger