Planar Bang

Comments

• edited May 2020
    The factions:

Ilrec
      Ilrec Dasher Ilrec Cloudseeder Dreams Entrance Ilrec Monastery
    Ilrec is a faction that is interested in studying dreams and creating dreamlike effects in real life.

Koylic
      Reptilian Shadow Shadowed Hunter Manipulate Dreams Koylic Monastery
    The Koylic are a loose collection of nightmarish beast from dark corners of the plane.

Shakayan
      Shakayan Imperator Glorycrown Manipulator Dreams of War Shakayan Monument
    The Shakayan see themselves as the movers and shakers of a plane that they believe has become too complacent.

Teraasa
    Saari Teraasi Foremost Teraasi Dreamkiller Storys Finale Teraasi Keep
    Teraasa is a knightly nation that, as opposed to the Shakayan, is intent on bringing peace and order to the plane.

Toikalli
      Toikalli the Hexmage Toikallis Aide Toikallis Blast Toikallis Residence
    Like Teraasa, Toikalli dreams of peace. However, she's also scientifically minded, so she works towards that with research, some of it hands-on. Unlike Ilrec, she doesn't intend for her research to be used for anything other than knowing what makes the world go round.
  • oooh, all very nice!
  • Well I'm back. I am going to be posting factions one at a time, so here is the first faction.

Faction #1: The nightmares (the evil guys)

Colours: Blue, Black, Red.

Themes: Nightmares/ Discard

Since the planes beginning there have always been a few nightmares wandering the plane, all near the cave system named Hathmet, where they are born. But recently, they have learned to power it to produce deadlier nightmares by stealing the villagers minds and dreams. Now the cave has produce the deadliest nightmare yet, it not even recieving a proper name, it is titled "It that is feared".

Here are some of the factions cards (Does include some repeat cards...)

Gluttonous Thoughteater
    Mind Devouerer

• ooooh, me like it

very scary haha
  • My next wave of entries. I intend to do many more, but for now this is what I'm gonna post lol this contest is very fun!

This entry also includes a new faction, the outsiders. This is a five colored faction, but each member of the faction is mono-colored. For now at-least. There's also the planes walker who belongs to no faction.

image image
    More creatures that live in the plane...

Outsiders are mysterious beings that weild powers similar to gods.Their powers rival even the dreamer. No one knows where they came from, or how they got here. The only thing that's known is that they are beings that used to exist outside our plane of existance, which explains their enormous power.

One of these outsiders is special even among the others. Legends say that he isn't acually an outsider but he was born in our plane, and somehow left.

The Dream Walker was originally just a dream, then somehow after coming face to face with an outisder his spark awakened within him and he planes walked out of the dream world.When he did so he became something diferent, not a dream, but at the same time not real. It was then he realized that the world in which he was born, not only was not the only one. But was special even among the others. He decided to return to his plane, this time though he had the power to change the his world, and alter fate it's self. Will he become the savior of the world and all of it's inbitants? Or will be become the savior of the dreamer, waking them from their eternal slumber, or perhaps he'll choose another path. Whatever his choice, it's clear the only ones standing in his way now are the mysterious outsiders. Where did they come from? And how did they get here? Are they actually other planes walkers, dwarn into the dreams of the dreamer? Or does this dream reach even farther than we once thought?
  • Now, for my second faction:

Name: The Mindless army

Main race: there is technically no main race, but most creatures have the subtype survivor (Signifying their mind has been taken.)

Themes: Benefits for attacking, Mindless mechanic, discard

This faction contains the many creatures that the nightmares have removed the minds of. The mindless don't do anything if deemed to weak, but if the nightmares think they are a strong enough warrior, they will add them to their army. A main character of the faction is Drazel. A mighty warrior the nightmares tried to steal the mind of, but to their surprise, he had lost his mind long ago, so they manipulated him and made him the general of the mindless.

The cards:
    Drazel Master of the Mindless
    Survivor of Minds Death

• @Hergusbergus how do you make sagas? 
  • @jaceberlin Hergusbergus is making Saga cards by using a program called Magic Set Editor, which tends to get abbreviated to MSE.
  • Alright then, here is the third faction:

Faction Name: Hero's of the cause

Colours: Black, Green, Blue

Main Creature types: Human or Humanoid Races. Occupations are mainly Dryads, Wizards, and Rogues.

Themes: Foretelling Mechanic, Dream mechanic, and meddling with opponents.

The Hero's of the Cause are a growing group of highly trained forces that have banded together to stop the nightmare overise. Many of them have have been to or even lived in Amillia, making their dreams animate to real life and making them ever closer to the dreams, sometimes calling upon them for help. They have also encountered many a nightmare, permanently scarring them (Causing the black in the colour identity.) The
    groups main leader is a Dwarf named Gustav, who organizes infiltration groups and sometimes "Helps" the nightmares, effectively so the cause can learn more about them.

The cards:
    Gustav of the Cause
    Entrancing Illusion Mage

• all very noice ideas!

• edited May 2020
    Sorry for the delay, I'll upload my cards soon enough. In the meantime, @Xero0 I'll give you a bit of context for my entry: It's not a faction per se, instead my entry is a group of avatars, manifestations of the human psyche. They are inherently neutral, but as people approach them for advice, they can bring good or ill omens.

I hope this entry is valid for your standards.
  • well I'd have to see em to be sure, a single cycle of cards of different colors wouldnt really fit as a faction; but if you mean something like the avatars being all from a single place or something and they show up in the same color identity that could work

we'll have to see @Scaccogaming

• A Random assortment of cards to finish off my entry for this part of the contest. Enjoy!

Dreaming Foul has a pretty obvious type in its ability lol.
    image image
    Tap The World Tree was also suppose to be a Gate, I forgot to add that part, my bad!
    image image
    image image
    image image
  • very noice
  • edited May 2020
    Alright, here's my submission for the contest. But first, some background.

After sentient life sprung on the plane, humanity got in a constant struggle with dreams and nightmares. But something else arose, created by the collective psyche of humanity: Twenty-two avatars, each representing a fragment of human thoughts. 

These Avatars are a neutral faction of beings which reside on the numerous layers of the Tower of The Avatar. 

Tower of The Avatar

People seek the aid of these Avatars, but the outcome isn't always what is desired (This is represented by the Upright-Reversed mechanic of those cards).

I'm just gonna leave the whole set here. And I know I used the Solid Gold type of card, but I just think it looks cooler, don't judge me u.u
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Scaccogaming/sets/52519

• Faction #4: The dreams of Amiilia

Colors: White, Green, and Blue.

Main creature types: Elves, Faeries, Unicorns, and other mythical creatures.

Themes: Life Gain, Dream Mechanic, and Flicker effects.

This is where all dreams are made into a reality, while being protected by the Elves and faeries that live among the Isles. The Queen of the isles, Fiona, helps decipher the dreams of traveller's who visit. She also helps grow the isles and keep them healthy. The flicker effects help represent the dreamig state people are put in while visiting the isles.

The cards: 
    Fiona the Dream Faerie
    See the Dawn

I will get around to posting the last faction tomorrow .
  • ooooh I like em!
  • edited May 2020
    And now, for the final faction...

Name: The city of Quarzai

Colors: Red, Green, White

Main Creature types: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and a few goats. Varying classes.

Themes: Combat tricks/ extra combats, +1/+1 counters, Haggling Mechanic.

Quarzai is the capital city of Draumdrazil. It is home to a large portion of the plains populance. It is home to huge trading centers and the planes largest Militia. They used to constantly be at war, but things have settled for decades, until now. With the Rise of the nightmares, the city has to prepare to protect itself from the mind-suckers, and eventually defeat their army, with the aid from the dreams of Amiilia and the cause, they will attempt to take on the Leigion of the Mindless, and the army of It That s Feared.

The cards:
    Samantha War Tactician
    Final Feud

• Straight after the Dreamer fell into his eternal slumber, the famed god and king of Draumdrasil, Ma'adi, suddenly disappeared from existence. In the chaos that ensued after his vanish, one human warlord rose to power and claimed his rule over the humans of Draumdrasil. Unknowingly, he began the first, and only, era of Human rule over Draumdrasil.

Kazaj Khan, Khan of the Kazaji Khanate

His influence spread far and wide among the reaches of human territory, to which many skilled horsemen across the lands followed his footsteps. They became known as the Tserguud.

Though many humans loved the Khan, opposition movements among humans on the outskirts were not uncommon. To combat this, Kazaj set out on an expedition to extend his influence

To his own bad luck, his reign would be cut short at only four years. During a battle against the Saxons led under general Aminar, Kazaj was speared off his horse and impaled four more times throughout his body. The Khanate soon fell apart, allowing many different factions to attempt to gain complete control. The Kippuda Shogunate led by Shogun Yamasoba was gaining influence, but were soon overturned by the Saxons under Aminar, carrying his banner into every battle. In the final push against the shogunate, Aminar stabbed Yamasoba in the chest and tossed him in a lake, putting an end to the Kippuda Shogunate. Soon, the Saxons spread through all human territory and finally became one. Their ruler was none other than the general himself.

Bannerlord Aminar, King of Saxony

Saxons were known to be sneaky people. Most of their battle occurred during heavy weather or whenever the enemy was at their most distracted. Their tactics became their religion, and a Templar was established. Aminar funded these war priests, and named them the Soldaten.

Under Aminar's orders, they set out every time the fog rolled in, as it was sin for Templars to attack on a normal day.

Aminar ruled the longest out of all the human rulers. His reign lasted 14 years, until Aminar contracted a strange disease that turned him horrifyingly rabid. He was executed by his own Templars after servants witnessed him eating the flesh off his wife. Yet again, Humanity lost a ruler. For a time, the Templars attempted to establish a theocratic oligarchy with Templars at the center, but they were overthrown by someone far more influential. Many people knew this man, and many had awaited his return from exile after being banished by Aminar for treason.

Sultan Baku Ma'adi, Sultan of the Shi'adi Sultanate

Baku was known for being one of the best generals under king Ma'adi before his disappearance. Baku claimed Ma'adi as his surname in memory of the god. He even claimed that he was not the true ruler of the Sultanate, but rather Ma'adi, and that Baku was just his active advisor. Either way, he ruled with a sword in hand and technology in mind. During his exile period, he learned more about the world and the chemistry behind it. In the first month of his reign- or what he would consider Ma'adi's reign- he invented gunpowder. With that gunpowder, he equipped a handful of soldiers and trained them in the arts of firearms. Soon, a program opened and recruits from across the lands signed up to become Baku's most feared soldiers: the Janissaries.

With these new Janissaries, he conquered much territory in a very short time. Opposition movements fell within weeks, and no weapon could best the firearm. Baku set his sights towards the capital of Saxony. The siege lasted two weeks, and Baku came out victorious. Saxony was no more.

Baku Ma'adi ruled over Humanity for 12 years, and with his popularity he would've ruled until he died of old age. What could've been grand was stopped by none other than the Dreamer himself. Baku and many other generals that lived under king Ma'adi suddenly vanished. They faded from the Dreamer's memory, and ended up in the Forgotten Realm where Ma'adi resided after being forgotten in the same way. Baku and the generals met Ma'adi for one last time, even being dubbed by the god as eternal warriors in his eyes, before Baku and the generals finally faded for good, leaving Ma'adi alone again. In the sultan's absence, a mysterious figure walked up to the throne without resistance. Many palace guards that attempted to halt the figure were swiftly executed by a class of soldiers never seen before. The figure simply sat in the throne, and muttered the words, "Let the undying rule again."

High Chancellor Yamasoba, Chancellor of the New Kippuda Federation

The lake that Aminar tossed Yamasoba into possessed revitalizing properties, and he stayed floating in that lake for so long that he was brought back to life. Yamasoba, in secret, began studying the lake, and found that the healing ability came from a small aquatic plant that he named the fukkatsu plant. With this plant he went around in the corners of society recruiting desperate and dying people to his cause by promising immortality, instructing that the plant be added to every meal consumed. His plan worked, and he gained an immense following among the poorest of humans. After Baku's vanish, he staged peasant revolts across every city and claimed the throne to the sultanate, reforming the monarchy into a federal republic of immortal commoners. The soldiers that helped him claim the throne were his personal guard, called Samurai.

With commoners in the government at the same level as nobles, the federation became the strongest force imaginable. Citizens got a say, powers were balanced, political corruption dissipated, and borders expanded. In honor of Baku's reign, Yamasoba implemented firearms into the military to expand further and exterminate any dangerous threat to the federation.

To be continued
  • edited May 2020
    Continued

What Yamasoba didn't know, was that there was an entirely different human society far from what many would consider the only human-controlled territory. Beyond the great sea, an empire of warriors was being led by a very powerful warlock.

Emperor Nafi, Emperor of Maolulu

The empire's military, the hoia, were very skilled at quick sea battles, and were feared for such.

Unlike the humans in Kippuda that would hunt wildlife, humans of Maolulu lived with the beasts, and even militarized some.

The emperor requested an audience with the high chancellor, to which Yamasoba was surprised and delighted to attend. In their first meeting, Yamasoba gifted Nafi with a large bag of fukkatsu plants. Nafi returned to his laboratory and began experimenting with hopes of modifying the plant to the point where resurrection was instant. In his first experiment, nothing new happened. In his next experiment, he tested on a dead rodent, only to see that it did the exact opposite of what the plant's purpose was. He invented a poison. Instead of trying to reverse the posion, he tossed it out in the nearby village and went back to his work. This choice marked the beginning of the end of Humanity's rule. In a dream, Nafi saw many versions of himself bowing to large horrible creature. After he awoke from the nightmare, he casually brushed it off and went back to his work.

In his third experiment, he tested on a dead lizard. Like his first, nothing happened, and he tossed the lizard out. In the following week, the lizard was resurrected, but grew to an immense size and began terrorizing the farmers.

After he put an end to the dragon's life, Nafi became more cautious with his work, burning any failed attempt and making sure to reverse any mistake. Unknown to him, the poison he threw out was being consumed by a rat. That rat didn't die, but instead mutated to a disgusting form. A farmer witnessed this mutated rat, and the rat saw him and jumped onto his face.

The farmer was able to get the rat off and burn the creature. Traumatized by what he had saw, the farmer left Maolulu to seek comfort in Kippuda. He settled in a village and farmed once again, but not for long. Soon, he became sick. Extremely sick. His head started to bloat, and he became horrifyingly rabid. Witnesses viewed him eating the flesh off of other farmers, infecting them and turning them into the monster that he was. This was, in fact, the same disease that plagued Aminar, expect it was stronger, and contagious.

It was found out that Aminar owned his own secret laboratory, and the disease in question was a result of the fukkatsu plant being turned into a poison, similar to Nafi's case. The monsters began going around villages, consuming and infecting. Then, they mutated more. These horrors were so powerful, that  only ten were needed to best an entire army and infect every soldier.

Although the original rat was burned, more rats kept consuming the poison left out in the grass. They all became Werau, and went across Maolulu infecting any that they could see. Across Maolulu, humans began mutating. The country fell after Nafi's palace was stormed by hundreds of Taniwha. Nafi, remembering his dream, tried to favor the horrors by bowing to them, but it was no use, as they quickly ripped him to shreds. Kippuda soon fell too, as Yamasoba killed himself to prevent turning into those horrors. The era of Human rule over Draumdrasil came to an end.

Many years passed, and the horrors that wandered the plane started starving and decaying without humans to eat. Then, something miraculous happened.

The Dreamer's mind became active. Subconsciously, he rewound and conflicted time, to a point where the monsters never existed, and each faction ruled at the same time. Every country came back and every leader came back, except for Ma'adi, Baku and the generals who were never thought of again. The Shi'adi sultanate ran under a different sultan to compensate for Baku's absence.

This is where the story begins.

The story of the five nations.
  • wow, very noice! love it

Two days left until Stage Three ends!

If anyone needs more time say today or tomorow and the deadline will be extended!

Also, if one or more factions are missing to complete a cycle the deadline will be extended and it will be announced what colors would be missing to complete the cycle
  • Lol, i forgot about colours... I ended up mixing in shards and wedges...
  • edited May 2020
    a mix of shards and wedges is fine tbh

as long as all colors are represented equally that's fine

also, multiple different people can have winning entries so there's that
  • Last Day of Stage Three!

unless there needs to be something added that is, well see when the day ends!
  • The results for Stage Three will be posted later today/early tomorow!

Sorry for taking a bit, had to help out a lot in the house today and now my mother wants to use my pc for an online class lmao
  • so.... Is everything alright? @Xero0
  • edited May 2020
    it is it is sorry, just been super busy haha

all of the winners have been decided and there is 1 spot still to fill, I'm writing it down as I do other stuff

sorry for the delay!

(this is an edit) I'm gonna go it and when I'm done I'll finish up and post the results!
    almost done
  • Stage Three Is (Almost) Completed!

A lot of really good entries were made for this stage, two wich this plane just couldnt have been a thing without, and others wich just worked with the setting in interesting ways!

Others were very separate from the setting, some were really good factions but they just didnt feel like they'd fit the plane they were built for.

In the end five tri-colored factions and two penta-colored factions were decided for the plane!

The penta-colored factions are minor factions, one that relates to the wildlife of the plane, and the other wich relates to a small group of sentient individuals. So lets view them first!

The Winners Are!:

Minor Factions!:

Aparitions of The Tarots by @Scaccogaming

(Link to te set is in the image.)

A group of avatars all born from core ideas that make up the human psyche!
    Each of them is legendary and follows a color pair.

It is a very nice idea, and a very fitting one, in a world made of dreams the subconcious is bound to spill to make up new things and change what already is, this avatars as just that, building blocks of the mind given form.

Very nice flavor and very fitting for the set.

Adaptable Creatures by @CatFish21sm

(I feel like this one should've been a nightmare lol)

Just a bunch of creatures that live on and adapt to the world of Draumdrazil, continuing of from a mechanic previously introduced on the contest.

Just a simple idea that works well; there isnt a particularly deep reason why I felt like this would fit well, it just  does and I felt like that was enough.
  • Major Factions!:

GWU Dreams by @Abu_Jafar and @CatFish21sm

(I feel like this one should be an avatar lol)

Something that this plane could not be without, dreams. Sufficed to say that this faction if well executed in identity and flavor was sure to win a spot for this contest, and it sure did.

GWU seems like the perfect color identity for such a faction, in addition to building off of creatures created for previous stages in the contest as a foundation. A perfectly fitting idea executed very well.

UBR Nightmares by @Abu_Jafar and @CatFish21sm

(This one too should be an avatar I feel haha)

And what are nightmares but not just a different kind of dream? In a world made of dreams nightmares are bound to appear in every corner, wether the natural form of an idea or a reshaped part of reality nightmares are a part of Draumdrasil one cant escape.

And UBR is just the perfect color combo for this faction. Another perfect idea executed well.
This discussion has been closed.