Rezatta, the life-matters Renaissance plane — SET DESIGN PHASE

Comments

• No offense @The-DM, but I hate your new card.
  • edited May 2020
    Here is another card for you to judge... @ningyounk

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/avinzis-masterpieces
  • Thats what I was talking about @The-DM. VERY strange card, and great headaches in my opinion.
    I do love the thief though.
  • edited May 2020
    WHICH CARD?

sorry, caps lock.
  • edited May 2020
    Imagine this(I don't know a lot about the masterwork cards, I'm a relative noob)
    You have 5 different art creatures on the battlefield.
    Then, you cast 5 different masterwork choosers. You now have a bunch of REALLY powerful masterworks.
    Other problem.

Lets say you have a card that says:
    When you cast CN, you gain life equal to your masterworks cmc.
    WHAT WOULD HAPPEN @The_DM??

• New idea for Avinzi's masterpiece @The-DM:

At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a new masterwork.
  • How would you have enough mana to cost 5 different artists?
  • First:
    Then, you cast 5 different masterwork choosers. You now have a bunch of REALLY powerful masterworks.
    That's why it costs 7 mana.

Second:
    When you cast CN, you gain life equal to your masterworks cmc.
    You just add up the CMC of all of them, and gain that much.

@LordTachanka123
  • I believe that all artists are currently common, and as they aren't going to be big things on the battlefields(I've never heard of an common bomb that doesn't do anything itself) in a green land deck, you can get them out quite quickly. Also, just having 3 artists already is a headache.
  • Oh, and gaining THAT much cmc.
    You do realize how powerful that would be with AM plus another card alone?
    IN A LIFE MATTERS SET.
  • edited May 2020
    So is mutate, though. Mutate's even more headache producing.
  • Sorry if I'm being rude, I just think that it should be phrased differently. Maybe a limit to masterworks?
    @The-DM

• It also says may. It basically says, "You don't have to give yourself a headache..."
  • So just curious, what happens with serrann life? I get that you can use it to pay for Mana, but I also want to know things like does it add to normal life for your life total? And does it get taken away by attacks? Would you lose it before or after normal life? If you would gain serran life but lose all your regular life, would you still end up dying?
  • Serran life is quite similar to regular life, but whoever damages you chooses which life you lose first @DrakeGladis.
    @ningyounk, please correct all my mistakes 

• @DrakeGladis this covers most of your questions:
  • So what happens if you have serran life but not normal life?if you die, then it would be interesting to choose which came first, but if you wouldn't die if you had serran life, the obvious choice is to hit your serran total.  It removes the most valuable resources while also actually killing.
  • If you have Serran life but not normal life, that still adds to your life total - if you have 10 Serran life but no normal life, your life total is 10, so you aren't dead.
    There's also no choice involved about which life is lost - reading the reminder token, if you control the source of life loss, you automatically lose normal life first, while if another player controls the source, you automatically lose serran life first.

@ningyounk sorry if this information is outdated, please correct me if things have changed

• @The-DM, feel free to call this card s***
    @ningyounk

• Flavor text:
    "She has a smile of knowing, and of mourning. But the land surrounding her is what scares me."-Vanezio Manchali, Art Historian

• (Cardname) 1rr
    Sorcery
    Switch target creature you control with target creature you don't control until end of turn.
    Creatures in play have haste and get +1/-1 until end of turn.

@ningyounk?
  • edited May 2020
    Do-Si-Do            {1}{r}{r}

Sorcery

Exchange control of
    target creature you control
    with target creature you
     don't control until end of turn.

Creatures get +1/-1 until
    end of turn.

"Maybe some flavor here..."

@LordTachanka123
  • According to @ningyounk haste is needed...
  • Whoops, missed haste...
  • @LordTachanka123

Please be nice in your replies ;) None of the concepts we're presenting here need to be perfect, it's more of a brainstorming thread. I wouldn't want people to hesitate to post ideas because they're scared that someone would tell them they hate it or it's dumb! There's always an interesting idea behind every concept that's not working, and something to improve behind every great design =D

@The-DM

On Avinzi's Freebooter:
    In my opinion, it's a bit awkward that the first ability cannot synergise with the second, since if you cast an Art spell from the first ability, the creature will be unblockable for the turn but doesn't have haste. I also think the second ability is a bit too restrictive for the card to work. It's already quite difficult to cast a spell you discover as you need 1) to have a card that tells you to discover 2) find a nonland card on top of your library 3 have the mana to cast it. Adding an additional restriction of the card being an Art means this ability is probably going to trigger very rarely. 

That being said, I really like the idea of caring about the nature of the spell you discover. But I think you need a bigger reward as this is very difficult to do, and I'd rather have it as an additional rider. Here's an example:

Whenever you discover, CARDNAME can't be blocked until end of turn.
    Whenever you cast a discovered spell, put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME. Then, if it was an Art spell, double the number of counters on CARDNAME. 

On Avinzi's Masterpieces:

I usually am not a fan of creating a mechanic and then making a card that says "ignore the rules we just made". However, you're not the first one to propose an idea such as this one, so I do think we need a card that will allow you to have more than one masterwork because it seems to be something that people expect when they see the mechanic. 

I don't think "You can have more than one masterwork" is the best way to do it though because I think it's a bit confusing. I see two ways of doing this properly:

1) We create a card that acts as your second masterwork. Either it says straight-up "CARDNAME is a copy of your masterwork", or we find a way to say that all bonuses granted to your masterwork are also granted to CARDNAME. E.g:

2) We create a card that says that the masterwork bonuses apply to all your creatures. For instance something like this:

DrakeGladis

About Serran life, you can picture it as a shield in about any other game, like Hearthstone (except you can exchange 2 serran life at any time for a mana, that's a little bonus). So your opponent's stuff is going to reduce your serran life, and once you don't have serran life anymore it just makes you lose life like normal.

Serran life is part of your life total, so if you have 5 serran life but not normal life, your life total is still 5 (congratulations, you're not dead xD)!

In addition, if your own stuff makes you lose life, you lose non-serran life before serran life because serran life is more useful than regular life (which is a way you can end up with 5 serran life but no normal life).

Here are a few example:

#1:
    I have 20 normal life and 2 serran life. My life total is 22.
    My opponent's 4/4 attacks me, I lose 4 life (serran life first).
    I now have 18 normal life and 0 serran life. My life total is 18.

#2: 
    I have 20 normal life and 2 serran life. My life total is 22.
    I pay 4 life as a cost for one of my cards, I lose normal life first.
    I now have 16 normal life and 2 serran life. My life total is 18 but, unlike example 1, I still have the option to pay 2 serran life to add of mana of any color.

#3:
    I have 1 life and 4 serran life. My life total is 5.
    I pay 4 life as a cost for one of my cards, I lose normal life first.
    I now have 0 normal life and 1 serran life. My life total is 1 (I'm still alive.)
  • Sorry @ningyounk, I can be a little aggressive to friends. My bad...
  • @LordTachanka123

No problem ^^ I just don't want anyone to feel harassed but I know you don't mean to be mean, we all can come up a little harsh by accident sometimes, it's the difficulty of communicating by text without seeing each other's faces =D

By the way, I think there are issues with the images again, here's what I see:

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
This discussion has been closed.