Things are coming together (Ikoria cube progress update *#2*)!

edited May 2020 in Off-topic Chat
Just got myself 500 of the new Lukka sleeves...

Gonna use them for my custom Shards of Ikoria cube which I'm making on Cardsmith!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Alextorrez6/sets/52680

I'll continue to post random updates like this over time, as it gets closer to being finished.

I know many of you are helping to contribute cards to this cube! You're help is not forgotten and certainly much appreciated. As a way of saying thanks and to make sure I give proper credit, I'll be adding little "designer tags" to each card, which will contain the Cardsmith username of the creator of that card. I will do this for all the cards you guys created! For example, LordTachanka's "Time's Toll" will have a little tag that says "LordTachanka123" in the bottom righthand corner.

Let me know what you guys think? Is anyone hype for the cube? Once I compress the cards into an Indesign Layout, I could export it as a printable PDF and post it here (if possible), so you guys can download it and make like a "print-and-play" version. What do you think of that?

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Printed 136 Basic Lands and got my box!

• I am very much hype for this set! Currently, I will hopefully be making a good amount of commons/uncommons. I will make some on Tuesday night and more...
  • Holy cow this looks sweet! It's always been a dream of mine to print my personal custom cube to have in paper. I'd be happy help if you need it.
  • edited May 2020
    @The-DM Coolio! Take your time... no rush. Family stuff comes before random internet shenanigans, always!

---------------------------------------

@Arceus8523 If you wanted to try your hand and maybe pitch in a few cards, you could try making some nonbasic lands... that would be much appreciated! If you want to know about the lore/flavor of the set, I highly recommend checking out the discussion thread between me and The-DM in the comments on the set, which can be found here: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Alextorrez6/sets/52680

If you make cards for this set, you will get a little "designer" tag in the bottom right-hand corner of the printed card, which will have your creator username on it so everyone will know you made it.

Don't worry too much about the flavor/design of the nonbasic lands, just make sure they fit relatively well within the Ikoria universe and are balanced for limited play (i.e. a singleton cube draft).

If I like the cards, I'll definitely use them. If not, I'll still probably favorite them and give you helpful suggestions for how to make them better.

Also, I'm really excited myself about this... it's the first time I've ever made a full set of magic cards. I've made proxy decks before, but nothing on quite this scale! It should be a lot of fun when finished!
  • I WANT TO PRINT THESE CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, would it be fine if I sent you my cards on here @Alextorrez6?
  • Yes, definitely! Thanks @LordTachanka123
  • @LordTachanka123 And... here's what's even better... because I'm using Adobe InDesign to make my cards, I can easily add the "designer tag" directly into the digital version of the card... meaning it'll automatically be on the printable version that I upload here. So you won't have to add the tags yourself! :)
  • @Alextorrez6, I know you said we shouldn't make mythics, but I found this card in my collection, and it happened to have the Lorwyn symbol...

• @Alextorrez6
    What I'd love to do for you is help remake your existing cards so that they look nice and pretty, things like a proper mutate frame, the long typelines fitting on cards, companion legendary crowns, etc. That sort of stuff. For example:

• Oh my gosh!! I totally forgot about the land I was making! I have it written down somewhere...

I’ll make it ASAP. Since I don’t have premium, I should use the Lorwyn symbol, right?
  • @shadow123, do you happen to live in india?
  • edited May 2020
    @Arceus8523 Oh... My... God... you’re a legend! Please do more of this! It’s awesome! :)
  • edited May 2020
    @Arceus8523 I really hate the lack of companion legendary crowns too lol.

Also that symbol looks sweet, but just for consistency can you use the Ikoria symbol instead? If you need my custom ones, they’re here: https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4147/custom-set-symbol-urls/p7
  • @shadow123 Yes, you should use the Lorwyn symbol... unless you happen to have an mtg.design account, at which point I think you can use the Ikoria Symbol (I haven't yet tried it myself though, it's on my to-do list.)
  • edited May 2020
    @LordTachanka123 I may or may not use these two, we'll see. If I do, I'll probably remake them a little bit (and credit you of course).

If you make more cards, can you use blue, black, and white more often, since I don't need too many red/green ones or the ratios will be way off.
  • edited May 2020
    @Arceus8523 Also, I'm super happy you can fix stuff like this! You have a really good eye for detail! Could you do the four planeswalkers first? (Since lets be honest... MTGCS's planeswalker editor is rather atrocious XD)
  • @Alextorrez6 I do have an mtg.design account. Do you have the files with the Ikoria symbols?
  • edited May 2020
    @shadow123 I don't know how it works... but yeah I have the files on my computer. Do I need to upload them in a certain way, or can you use the ones I've already uploaded?
  • edited May 2020
    @Alextorrez6
    Ask and you shall receive

• Hey @Alextorrez6, I found this discussion today and I really love what you're doing! I see you've used an elf of mine already, which feels great lol. Here's another idea for something if you want it: 

Karalox Apex of Frost
  • edited May 2020
    @Arceus8523 These are so awesome! :smiley: I'm blown away! Thank you so much! If you want to fix any of the other cards, go right ahead! Again, thanks for your help!

--------------------------------------

@Ral1000 Oooh! I like this one. Definitely gonna use it! Do you think you'd be able to make the other four wedges to complete the cycle?
  • @Alextorrez6 sure! I'd be happy to do that. I think I'll make them as cards with cheaper mutate costs like this one, but still with a pretty good bonus. Keep in mind that these wedges are already present in the mythic multicolored legends of Ikoria, but if that's what you want I'd be happy to work on the other four!

On a different note, I was wondering if you would be able to offer some feedback on my custom set which I posted on the forums earlier this week. If you are too busy at the moment, I completely understand. 
  • You mean your music set @Ral1000?
  • @Ral1000 I saw you asking NingYounk about that in the Rezatta thread... I'd definitely love to go check it out. I think I'll do that tomorrow if that's alright with you, since I'm going to want to spend a lot of time immersing myself in it and giving thorough feedback.

As for the four other apexes, I agree, definitely what makes them good is the cheap mutate cost, which works great in a cube! And yeah, I know they exist in real Ikoria but I took those legends and colorshifted them for the new shards combinations.

Thanks so much again Ral1000.
  • edited May 2020
    @Alextorrez6 sounds perfect! Thanks for doing that, I will probably post something else on my thread this evening as there isn't that much info on the set at the moment. 

I'll make another one for the cycle each morning for the next few days. Thanks again! 
  • How's this for the next one? 

Brigan Apex of the Torch

I've been thinking that perhaps we could go a little off the original fixed creature types from Ikoria, to add some variety. 
This discussion has been closed.