It's a strange land here...

Insert your absolutely most crazy nad amazing LAND ideas! Arifact lands? Land creatures? Enchantment lands?? LAND PLANESWALKERS??? Bring it on!

Put that into rules:
- Create a card of the Land type
- It also needs to fit one of those requirements
    - It also is one other card type
    - It has a new inventive keyword ability (Hideaway could be an example that is already in the game)
    - It has an ability, that is already in the game, but not on lands - find some fun interactions!
    - It has a new inventive sub-type, that is important in an interesting way
    - Or you could try to surprise me with another creative way to make an interesting strange land card!
- Unlimited submissions, just have fun!
- Only one old card unless you ask nicely for more :smile:
- Please try to make your cards also look good (pay attention to text design, wording, grammar, etc.)

What do you get (reward in other words)?
- Each card I like will be faved by myself
- Once every week I will choose 1-3 cards I really like and those will win their creators 5 favorites on any cards they please
- There is no deadline, let's just have fun (hope the recurring reward system is good enough as well)

Comments

• I'll post soon!
  • @SNAPcreator7
    But...does that mean he's a 2/2?
  • edited June 2020
    My favorite strange lands!

At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest
  • Artifact Lands and creature lands already exist.

Here are some old ones I made ... just to see them.
    I'll participate by posting another land later :)

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/CassZero/sets/53153
  • CassZero I know they exist, but there's so few of them, they deserve some further development.
  • edited June 2020
    As I like to do, I'm gonna "enter" my own contest. I just keep coming up with contest ideas, which are interesting for me to design. And I want to give you some inspiration.
    And I just want to see what y'all think.
  • edited July 2020
  • Why is it not showing?
  • edited July 2020
    This is @Wildelink's.

• edited August 2020
    I was inspired by @ThePhantomJoker's Koth card and decided to make this.
    https://mtg.design/i/zsuc20

• @SNAPcreator7 This is beautiful! Thank you for this submission, I love that somebody actually took inspiration from my idea!
  • edited August 2020
    Shamelessly stole this idea from a StrataGames YouTube video that was doing reviews of some redditor-made custom cards.  And yes, I also shamelessly stole the art for Graven Cairns, but at least I credited the artist's deviantart account name and called the guy something similar.  It's the mechanic I'm hoping you guys look at :wink:

• Turn 1: drop him down, +3 and tap for {1}{b}{r}.  Loyalty goes from 1 to 4.  Seems broken and pushed to get that much mana in one turn, I know, but you're SO CLOSE to losing the game, right??
    • Turn 2: you may tap for {1}, +1 (but it's not your upkeep yet, so you haven't lost yet!) to impulsive draw a card, and then deal 2 damage to ITSELF. Loyalty at 3. Phew, not so bad!
    • Turn 3: you may tap for {1}, +1 to impulsive draw another card, deal 2 damage to itself again. Loyalty at 1.  Ahhhhh. Nice.
    • Turn 4: Repeat!
  • edited August 2020
    @TerryTags ohhhhh I see! At first I thought it was kind of bad, but now I can totally see this. Only thing is it's a little op, the +3 should be the Exile one, the +1 should be the Mana one. Normally I would say nice balancing with the loyalty abilities, but the 5 loyalty counter thing flips it around! It's still an awesome card though, I'm not trying to be mean, just constructive criticism :)
  • @SNAPcreator7 ; I'm thinking maybe only give one impulsive card draw on the +1?  But I like keeping the Rakdos mana on the +3 to make it tantalizing (which is totally Rakdos flavor, right?)  What if I put something else on the +3?  like "Add {b}{r}. Untap target land." Or something?  Since it takes you so close to losing the game with one uptick of his ultimate... maybe?  I dunno.  It's not perfect, LOL.
  • edited August 2020
    @TerryTags Yea, the untap target land would be pretty good. What about this?

+1: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled this way by paying their converted mana cost plus {1}. Cairnyx deals 2 damage to any target.

+3: Add {b}{r}. Until end of turn, changing phases doesn't cause mana to exit your mana pool. (I know I phrased that wrong, I don't know how to do those kinds of things)

For a Planeswalker for free the +1 is still op. But I think that this would make it a little less op? I don't know. Give me your thoughts.
  • @TerryTags Here's another idea.
    • Play Cairnyx
    • Tap it for colorless, then +3.  You have {c}{b}{r} in your pool.
    • Cast Dark Ritual for {b}. You have {c}{b}{b}{b}{r} (five mana total)
    • Cast Throne of Geth for {2}
    • Cast Harmless Offering fot the remaining three, targeting your Cairnyx and giving it to your opponent.
    • Now sacrifice the Throne of Geth to itself and add another counter on your opponent's Cairnyx leaving it with five loyalty.
    • Pass the turn and win.
    Alternatively you can do this later in the game and not all in one turn, I've added the Dark Ritual just for it to work as a turn-one combo. You'd need some good muliganing to pull this off tho.
  • @ThePhantomJoker, WOAH, that makes the card even more insane! (I would probably rock that in a rakdos deck though)
  • edited August 2020
    I edited the card to be impulsive draw for one card only on the +1. But I'm sticking to my guns on the OP +3 ability.  It's actually ... balanced (?) because of the Lose The Game condition. (I think...)  I had no idea it could be used in a one-turn win, though... So ... how do I fix that? 
  • Maybe add another thing onto him that says opponent's can't take control of him?
  • @TerryTags You should probably make it so that Cairnyx only deals damage if you don’t end up casting the card. Look at Chandra, Torch of Defiance for reference.
  • edited August 2020
    One more land planeswalker!!

Edit: Note that Karn can't tap for mana because he doesn't have any basic land subtype!
  • An odd design. 

• @TerryTags The reminder text on your land planeswalker is wrong!
  • @shadow123 thanks! Both of the card design websites I used wouldn't let me use correct syntax, so you are RIGHT... I just can't fix it.  You and I will just have to pretend it says it right. :wink:
  • edited August 2020
    @LordTachanka123 this is gonna sound weird, but I think you somehow hacked my MTG design account...?  :D I went on there to create a card and one popped up by "TachankaTheGreat". The card was like an elven prince or something. I had never created that card or anything? Do you know what happened? LOL
  • That happens to me too!
This discussion has been closed.