Tournament of Champions 3 (The game has begun!)

Comments

• edited July 2020
    Brynn hummed a tune from her days in her angelic order as she left the arena. First into the gate. It was certainly an honor, though not one she felt like trusting. It brought almost as much attention as the wings did. Still, that meant she could focus on the other contestants without worrying.

There certainly a lot of magical weapons, on each side. Were they in the hands of those Brynn trusted to wield them? No, not completely. Still, she couldn't change what the others had brought, so she would have to make due with making plans with those in mind.

She was confident that she could face most, if not all, of Gwendolyn's chosen in combat. She was almost looking forward to meeting Aeryn, if only to ask about the sword. Teleportation was tricky, for sure, and she didn't know how some of the weapons were enchanted, even though she could sense the magical energy they emitted in the arena. Still, she was more nervous about her other teammates. The young woman with the giant sword and the helmeted general seemed like they would prove difficult to fight. The wolf had wings and magic, although Brynn was fairly certain she could maneuver past that. As for the rest of the contestants...

Brynn was just glad there wasn't a dragon in the lineup.
  • edited July 2020
    Gorchi walked up to Graagdord's side after he was chosen by Gwendolyn and she tapped him on the shoulder with a stubby, ash-stained finger. 

"Graagdord.  Hey. [*POKE*] Uh ... why are we here, again?" Gorchi asked.

"We need the King," Graagdord replied curtly, looking at the balcony where he thought the King of Vosonova was going to be.  Graagdord, for all his cleverness, was just realizing that there was definitely something going on between Medirna and Gwendolyn that he had just gotten himself and Gorchi in the middle of. 

Graadord was still deep in his own head, trying to reason things out.  "Well, at least we got picked by Gwendolyn," he thought to himself.  He and Gorchi were originally from Medirna, and that's where his former clan was.  

"Oh, right ... and what did we need him for?" Gorchi asked, breaking his concentration.

"Power, Torchy." Graagdord answered with an annoyed grunt as punctuation. "I need his favor. We are far from home."

"Oh... yeah. But ... he's not up there. You said he might be," Gorchi asked, with genuine curiosity, as she scratched her ear with the handle-end of a burnt-out wooden torch. "Why isn't he up there on that balcony like you said?" 

"Why, indeed." Graagdord softly replied, while his little fingers thoughtfully stroked his chin.
  • A rumor

The night was dark and cold. 
    The room was only lit up by the moon light from the windows and a single burning candle on a table in the middle of the room. 

Two men were sitting at the table, discussing and drinking, one from a cup and the other from a wine glass. 

"Do you believe in these rumors?" said an unknown middle aged man dressed in military officer attire. 

"That Lisakdonia would try to liberate Laldenia from Gwendolyn's control is expected. That they would plan a further invasion of Gwendolyn under a temporary alliance with the Kalerians? Hard to say. It sounds like a fool's decision that will only lead to the breaking of the Kalerian union once and for all, unless Gwendolyn is more weakened than we thought." Said general Artiem. 

"No, not weak. Gwendolyn have empty coffers and an inexperienced king but they are not weak." Said the other man. 

"Right, they are not weak. So if these rumors are true, why would the Kalerians ask foreigners for help when they can barely keep their union intac, why would Lisakdonia not stop at liberating Laldenia but continue an invasion?" Asked Artiem 

"Maybe it is not the Kalerians which asked Lisakdonia for help, maybe this is a reaction to what happened in Crastine a couple of years ago." said the man. 

"That sounds rather far-fetched. even for being one of your ideas." said Artiem, trying to make a joke. 

The man raised his eye-brows. "I don't think any reaction to what happened that day would be far-fetched. You should know, Artiem. Didn't your pregnant wife got an unexplainable illness that same day? Did you not feel a cold breeze touching your heart?" said the man.

Artiem looked out the window, thinking. 

"General, I have decided to stay here. I would like to see this tournament that everyone is speaking about. I will send words about this rumor to Beldon with one of your messengers." said the man. 

Artiem turned back towards the man. "As you wish."     

"Please tell me a little more about the tournament. Who are the contenders and who will fight whom?" 
  • edited July 2020
    Nilani waited eagerly and nervously for her name to be called.

Please, please, please... I need to have this

"Nilani!" she heard the announcer say.

Nilani sprung from her spot and grabbed the scroll. The teenager could finally breathe. She looked back at the remaining contenders, knowing four will go home.

"Thank you so much," Nilani muttered to herself, "You don't know how much I needed this. Maybe now, I can recover from my past."
  • edited August 2020
    The matches!

Match 1
    @Usaername vs @Ydoplus_of_Forduuath
     VS 

Match 2
    @DrakeGladis vs @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos
     VS 

Match 3
    @SpellPiper2213 vs @Bowler218
     VS 

Match 4
    @fire12 vs @CassZero
     VS 

Match 5
    @kandra127 vs @Lujikul
     VS 

Match 6
    @Temurzoa vs @IzItTru
     VS 

Match 7
    @MonkeyPirate2002 vs @TerryTags
     VS 

Match 8
    @shadow123 vs @Aggroman15
      VS 

• The location for each fight will be presented some time before the fight takes place.
    Companion cards and signature cards will be included in the match presentation. Here they are excluded for simplicity sake. 

The first match will take place in almost a week, the 27th of July and then each day another fight will take place. So:
    27th: match 1
    28th: match 2
    29th: match 3 
    And so on. (This might be changed if I lose the possibility for some reason to write and finish the matches. This will be informed of in such case.)

I plan on writing half a full comment for each match. (a couple of hundred words) This can vary significantly from match to match but at least that is the plan. Later stages can then be written longer as I get more time for each match. 

Any changes and/or edits to your cards and/or story and character can be changed until latest 1 day before the dedicated day of your match

This is also your best moment to write about your characters interactions with each others and their experiences in Kiserova. 
    Remember that many places are out of touch for you. This is a city under three different ruling factions after all. 

Good luck contenders! 
  • edited July 2020

The morning after she was chosen for the tournament, Nilani saw a crowd of people all bunched up around a large poster on the wall of a shady looking bar. Nilani could vaguely make out drawings of faces on the poster and thin lines that slightly resembled a tournament bracket.

Could this be it?

Nilani walked a little closer, making sure to stay far enough away from the rowdy group. She saw a drawing of herself with her name, and next to her, a drawing of a cloaked mage, named Jay.

“Jay, huh?” Nilani mutters to herself.

Nilani paused to look around for Jay, but couldn’t find him. She then resumed walking.

I must write to my parents to tell them the good news!

However, before she went back to her room, there was someone she needed to talk to. Nilani had noticed another contestant, Merdina’s second choice. That girl seemed nervous, like herself.

Maybe I could go talk to that girl! She’s right there, in that small store!

Nilani hurried towards the small pawnshop where the Samurai was.

“It’s Akuma, right?” Nilani asked quietly.

“Yeah. And you are...?”

“Nilani.”

“Right. Nilani! You’re one of my 'teammates', right?” the samurai asked.

“Yeah. I saw you receiving your scroll. You looked sort of nervous, like me. I was just wondering if you wanted to talk later today?”

• As Renatin entered the chamber, he felt slightly intimidated... There were so many options, most of them visibly powerful.  Generals and knights, an angel, a... slime?  While his magic was certainly great, he could easily be physically outmatched by most of the contestants.  He was still vulnerable to the blade...  While considering how things might go, he nearly missed his name.  Irsek had to push him forward slightly to get his attention, whereupon he went up, and bowed to the woman handing out scrolls, accepting his.  Upon being directed to the gate, he exits the arena along with Irsek.
    "I think I should have brought Merik with me instead... there's a lot of people there that could skewer me before I get two spells off."
    "Their wearing armor.  Armor is metal.  Metal melts, flesh burns.  The only ones that I wouldn't want to face would be slime and that Dakros fellow... he looks to be as fiery as I am, and that's impressive.  It would be a shame to have to waste such talent."
    "We shouldn't, he's on our side."
    A few minutes of quiet pass, then Renatin turns to Irsek.  "Why not the slime?"
    "Most oozes are at least somewhat fire-retardent.  Pretty hard to burn."
    "Huh..."
    We wait for the rest of the chosen to enter the side-chamber, taking note of who comes through.  The last one to pass through is the Squrturglus, and Irsek heaves a sigh.
    "Both allies- in theory."
    Latern on, Iresk and Renatin split up, exploring the area.  Renatin was still a bit uncomfortable, wanting someone to be able to physically back him up.  He knew he would be able to beat casters; each spell they threw could become a weapon to him, but swords were not his finest skill.  He was hoping to come across Brynn or the Akuma to ask them how things were going to work.
    However, before he got the chance, he noticed a scrap of paper pinned to a post.  It was the list of matchups, and as he scrolled down it, he noted that his fears were rightfully placed.  The challenge was against the other oriental fighter; a poor matchup, at least on the surface.  The urgency of the situation grew immensely.
    Renatin went in search of either of the two, and noticed Brynn having a morning wing in the predawn light.  He activates his wings too, and flies up to her.
    "Excuse me?"
    @SpellPiper2213, if you want to interact, please message me via pm's here or via discord.  Tag is WOLFFURRY2519
  • edited July 2020
    Akuma bowed to the girl before her.

"A pleasure to meet you, Nilani. Your assumption about my nervousness was correct. i've been waiting for a while to score a chance like this."

Nilani looked back at her quizzically.

"What do you mean?"

Akuma's eyes flicked left, then right. 

"Not here, but i'd be happy to talk later. I'd like to compare notes on our opponents, devise strategies, basic stuff. Will we be sharing lodgings? I haven't heard from the tournament organizers yet. This is all rather overwhelming, wouldn't you agree?"

Nilani nodded understandingly.

"Well," She said. "I'll see you around Akuma"

Akuma smiled, and the girls shook hands before heading their seperate ways.

@shadow123 if we wanna continue this conversation elsewhere, (we don't have to, but it might be easier) you can PM me here or on discord @Delphyr#1718
  • @Usaername Great! I sent a PM to you! I'm really excited. Your writing is awesome btw!
  • @CassZero

Thank you. That was actually much more warming than I expected. Genuinely thanks.
  • The Dragon's Den inn were bustling with activities more than usual due to the tournament. More or less, it was a certainly a sunny day in Kiserova.

"Three factions, three royal families, in one city. Imagine it is how easy to spark war between those extravagant lots. Some little accidents here and there and, boom." Spoke a person in a low voice who was sitting in a corner of the said inn, with a mug of ale still in hand.

"No Janus, we aren't here to spark a war between them." Sighed a certain ronin as she dug in her potato-based dish with a pair of chopsticks. 

"Well, that would be great for our acquaintances who have the lust for deadly battles, right? Plus it certainly brings profit to our weapon production department." Grinned the sitting male person.

Jelene only continued her potato salad. "There are already wars somewhere else. Besides that, I don't like unnecessary bloodshed and casualties."

The male person put down his mug and crossed his arms. "... What's gotten into you, Jel. You seem to be... distant at these times. I can notice that you know."

The female ronin didnt change her expression very much and just finished her meal along with an ungraceful gulp of her drink instead. "It's... not important." 

"... Is it about her? You know what I mean, right."

The ronin tore her gaze away. "... Yes. And I still feel guilty despite it's been a long time. And she would be likely just straight up kill me at the first glance she sees me again. It's not that I'm mad because of that. It was after all my fault alone."

"Well, maybe a thousand apologizes would work. Plus tell her that you really want to make up about your fault that you... betrayed her trust. It's not that we are gonna be dead permanently anyway." 

The ronin only smirked. "I don't think that you have such side in you, you dolt."

"Heh, you mean the smartest dolt around, Jelly." The male person pointed a metaphorical gun with his fingers.

Before she could make a remark about it, a child with a street urchin attire came towards their table and tugged the pants of the sitting male person, along with a bundle of scrolls in the child's grasp.

"Ah, it looks like my little informant is here." Then with a deft motion, he picked the scroll and examined it on the table.

Then without a word, he handed the child with a pouch of coins. 

The child just nodded and walked away inconspicuously to the outside.

"Street urchin spy network. Handy when you need important stuffs around the city." Smirked the male person coyly.

The ronin crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow.

"Let's see then... the location of important artifacts, auction schedules, there it is... and it looks like your first opponent is called Renatin. A wolfkin wizard or something like that."

The ronin shriveled her forehead. "I know that name from the entrance audition. And it would be a problematic opponent because of his magical prowess."

Her brother rolled the scrolls back and tucked them away. "Eeyup. But luckily I have something that can prevent the magic that get hurled at you. And I don't think that that's illegal because it's a literal gladiatorial fight."

"Alright then, show me what you've got, Jan."

"Heh, that's the spirit, sis." Then he gulped his ale in one chug.
  • edited July 2020
    Dakros looked around the room. Almost all of his foes had either magical weapons. He saw an angel and ooze over at the side, glad that both of them were on his team. As Dakros left, a messenger came. 

"Sir, my masters wanted to inform you that they had no volcanos available for you to house in. If you wish, they offered-"
    "Get out of my way." interrupted Dakros. "If they do not have what I want, fine then. Give me a normal chamber. But be warned, it will not be use-able for others."
    The messenger slowly backed away, as he said, stuttering, "Yes, sir. I will inform them. Thanks." After the messanger thought he was out of sight, he ran as fast as he could.

As Dakros enter his chamber, he noticed it needed quite a few renovations. It was a dull and dark cabin, with very little decoration. "This place needs a little bit of... fire, wouldn't you say?" Dakros snaped his fingers, and suddenly two elementals appear. He nods to them, then goes to bed. Dakros falls asleep as his house burns around him.
  • Elos sat at a table, drinking a mug of ale (at the suggestion of Daybreaker, who said that it was 'the drink of a hero'). He looked around the inn at several of his teammates, but didn't notice the two goblins approaching his table until they sat down right in front of him.

"Hey kid," said one of the goblins, whom Elos remembered was named Graagdord. "Nice job getting chosen."

"Well, I didn't really do much," Elos was somewhat taken aback that the goblins had chosen to speak to him.

"You did enough to get in," said Graagdord. "You looked all fancy with that sword of yours, and that seemed to do the trick."

All three of them looked over to the sword strapped to Elos's belt, the hilt decorated with an image of the sun.

"You even know how to use that?" Graagdord looked back to Elos.

"Kind of," Elos shrugged. "I mean, most of the time it uses itself, and I just follow along."

"Uses itself?" Gorchi spoke up. "What... what does that even mean?"

Elos looked at both of them, and then drew Daybreaker from its sheath. It immediately burst forth in a blinding light, and its voice filled the tavern.

NOW IT IS TIME TO DO BATTLE WITH THESE FELL CREATURES! SLAY THESE VILE GOBLINS AS THE VERMIN-

Elos quickly sheathed Daybreaker. "He's a bit old-fashioned, if you know what I mean, and still considers goblins to be... monsters."

Gorchi had stepped back, but Graagdord nodded. He understood that some people had yet to accept Goblins into civilized society, be they people or magic swords.

"Anyways, I'm more like a hero in training. Learning from the sword, trying to do all the hero things, you know." Elos took another sip of ale.

"Well, if you're a hero in training, maybe you could learn a thing or two from us," said Graagdord.

"Really?" Elos said. "I was hoping to find some other mentors during the tournament, you know, to see what I could learn from all sorts of different people."

Graagdord smiled. "Well, we've got plenty to teach."

(With @TerryTags permission.)
  • edited July 2020
    Inspirations: Monowhite Heroic Pauper (my favorite)Setessan Champion and a little bit Stoneforge Mystic.
    Adaptation and continuation of the description on the first page.

Name: Aeryn Nox Lockhart
    Occupation: 3rd Captain of Kingdom's Cavalry [name of place pending]
    Skills: Manipulation of runes and partial control of a mystical sword, carved by the elders, called Nyrea. Without armor and devoid of artificial runes, Aeryn manages to use basic elements to make rustic runes. Defensive and protective tactics.
    Weaknesses: Get carried away by emotions. The sword itself may refuse to help. Alone, Aeryn has difficulty in hand-to-hand combat. The knights train a lot with armament and however their body supports the blows it does not have a good repertoire in hand to hand. Rustic runes are weak and temporary.

She still doesn't know why she was chosen by the sword

During your life: 

Childhood - first page

At the age of 14 she entered the school of knights.
    At 16, together with some friends from the knights' school, they decided to investigate and touch the magical and forbidden sword. While the others were repelled, some mental link caused Aeryn to wield the sword. The next day there was a great rush and spread of rumors among students, mentors and teachers.
    That same year, his father, who was one of the common cavalry knights, died at the hands of an unknown entity. Her mother lives today around the school.

Alone and sitting on a bare tree stump in a clearing, she watched the sword weeping at the loss of her father. The link was strong between them and the sword did not know what to do. "I'm going to find this murderer," said Aeryn, wielding the sword and running out of the clearing. Suddenly the sword weighed and fell to the floor. '' You don't wanna go? Why? This thing killed my father, '' he replied for a sword on the ground. '' I'll go then myself ''. Aeryn walked without the sword until the mark on the hand of the spiritual link lifted. The sword was protecting her. Aeryn set beside the sword crying.

Before the first missions and first promotion, she mastered three essential runes.
    An ethereal rune with powers to accentuate blows. Another one that any knight needs to master to improve his vision in battle. It is a rune powerful enough to drain the strength of other runes to improve their resistance.

to be continued...
  • edited July 2020
    (Translator. Correct me if something is wrong.)
    Nyrea, Forged by the Runes
    Aeryn of the First Oaths

The big market tour

After her conversation with Cranket, Aeryn decided to visit the market next to the Arena. The smell of spices was strong while it was pleasant. Many merchants were excited about the sales, however apprehensive about the war that could begin.
    At one of the stalls, a strange salesman with the appearance of a cat was calling for the foreigner. Aeryn soon realized that she was a seller of magic items. She thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to buy a local rune or two to take to the battle.
    After much analysis and insistence from the seller, she decided to buy. The runes looked more rustic than she could produce, but it would be interesting to test them later.
    At a glance Aeryn watched the Squrturglus ooze going north of the arena. She didn't know why or if he was just going to accommodation. At the moment he had nothing to worry about and turned his attention to the salesman who had passed on the wrong change. Just with a small gesture with hereyebrow the seller went back and gave the correct change.
    Walking, she chose to rest in a small open-air restaurant. The sides were open and it was possible to see the columns of the arena and the movement of the street. Knights, soldiers and citizens and even dog, sometimes talker-dogs, moved the streets. Aeryn asked for something local. She wanted to try the local cuisine that was the basis of Sausages (horse meat and honey) with Vasjo Enja (Honey cream) is a beautiful glass of Wine, honey wine.
    A small murmur began to emerge from a distance. "Catch a thief," said a salesman. In slow motion the bandit passed by Aeryn looking with contempt and arrogance and when he saw the sword beside the table he tried to wield it. As expected, the sword fell like the heaviest stone in the world and brought down the bandit, who even tried to pull the sword out again.
    '' I believe you made a mistake, friend '' Aeryn got up from the table and took the sword with mastery skill, placing it close to the bandit's throat. Soon the soldiers appeared to arrest him.
    '' It was a mistake to mess with one of the contestants '' laughed the soldier who tugged at the stolen salesman.
    Aeryn finished eating and decided it would be a good idea to relax and empty her mind at the kingdom temple.

The temple was busy, but still quiet inside. Aeryn came in from the side and could see Brynn in the distance talking to a hooded man. Many things went through her head, but soon she realized that she was in a temple and independent of the angel, many approach them. I hoped that was it.
    In the silence she chose the most isolated place to draw the sword. Aeryn sat on a small bench and left the sword in front of her. There were few occasions in silence to speak aloud, but controlled, with Nyrea.
    '' I saw on the panel near the arena who will be our opponent. You will be able to measure his power '' Aeryn spoke to the sword that did not manifest power. This Dakros looks strong. It would be interesting to know their history and motivation. ''
    Aeryn was a little silent to meditate.
    '' Regardless of the arena, we need to be quick. We must analyze his blows, but I believe that close combat is ideal. If it fails we can filter the power of the runes '' Nyrea agreed slightly and with Aeryn '' I have no idea how big his power is. At the very least, it will be an interesting battle. ''
    Aeryn meditated again.

to be continued...
  • The woods were damp with dew as the sun rise over the horizon, Kutos made his way through the forest silently occasionally mumbling to himself. The wet grass stuck to his feet as he moved but he didn’t care, it was nice to finally be free from the noise of the town. He had set out this morning after seeing the match pairings, he didn’t know what to think about his opponent. Kutos had lived a relatively sheltered life and up until know he had know idea things like sentient oozes existed. How was he supposed to fight it? Would it be able to survive the golem and boulders he could throw at it? Maybe he should stop by a library to see if he could read up on it. After a while more of walking and thinking he found what he was looking for; it was small waterfall turning into a wide river, that rang through the forest,

”Perfect” he touched a hand to the earth and sent a wave of life through the ground, a solid stone platform rose out of the water, it was just big enough for him to sit on and meditate. He sat down and let himself be calmed by the sound of the rushing water, he took a breath in and let his energy collect in his body, he breathed out and let the energy sweep over the terrain around him. He repeated the process for a while practicing storing his element of powers for a longer time inside his body. After an hour of practicing the breathing technique he felt something new, a powerful elemental presence; it was a feeling similar to the one he had felt calling him here. Kutos opened his eyes and looked around but he didn’t see anything. “Weird” He got up from his spot, “Better head back to town...”
  • edited July 2020
    Ydoplus_of_Forduuath

In no time at all after Graagdord agrees to teach Elos, Graagdord suddenly dashes at Elos' leg, scurries up his body by scaling him like a cliff, plants his little feet on Elos's chest and surprisingly backhands him across the cheek with a loud [*SMACK!*]. Graagdord leaps to the ground with a forward flip, lands like a nimble cat, and calmly walks back to his seat at their table.  Luckily, no one was listening or paying attention at all, so it drew no looks from the other people around.

Elos is undamaged. His sword, Daybreaker, is furious.  But Elos is also speechless.

Graagdord breaks the silence.

"Lesson one: confidence.  Whenever I'm in a non-combat situation like this -- and keep in mind, most people are at least twice my size -- but let's say I need something from someone.  I go right up to a guy and stare him straight up in the eyes with the confidence of 10 dragons.  I invade his personal space before he knows what's going on, and that usually throws them off guard initially.  Then I politely but firmly explain what they need to do for me, and what I will do for them."

Elos suddenly feels something cold and sharp on the side of his neck, and realizes that -- while he was still rubbing his reddened cheek -- he didn't feel Gorchi climb up his back and put a knife to the side of his throat.

Graagdord continues while Daybreaker continues to holler with hard-to-understand, muted shouts of righteous vengeance from inside its sheath.

"Does it help that 'Torchy' here, I mean Gorchi of course, usually finds the high ground to get the drop on the guy with a crossbow or sneaks up ready for a backstab if I don't get what I want?  Yeah."  Gorchi pats Elos on the shoulder, gives a little giggle, and kisses him on the cheek with a little peck.

Graagdord smiles at Gorchi as she jumps down and joins him at their table.  He continues, "If calm confidence doesn't work, most people freeze in the face of cold-blooded violence, even the non-lethal kind.  As you can see, I can crawl up a man's clothes to his face in the blink of an eye and just SMACK him across the cheek.  Just an abrupt slap around the chops is well outside most people's comfort zone. It's the speed and ferocity with which you turn from a friend to a foe that catches people off balance.  I've seen hardened warriors well up with fear when a goblin like me takes the first swing with cold-blooded confidence and whip-slaps them across the cheek."

Graagdord concludes by saying to Elos, "Hey. No hard feelings, right?"

(out of character: seriously, no hard feelings! I'm just role-playing Graagdord's character, not trying to make yours look foolish in any way!) 
  • @Usaername

It was now evening. The golden sun hung low in the evening sky, getting ready to set for the night. Nilani, a teenager sat on a bench, admiring this light. A golden light swirled around her fingertips.

"Nilani!" another girl shouted.

She suddenly extinguished the light and quickly ran over to her friend.

"Hi Akuma!" Nilani said, "We can sit over there."

The enchantress gestured to a small wooden bench at the edge of the rocky trail. Both of them sat down together, but neither of them were sure how to start the conversation.

"So..." the samurai started awkwardly, "Where are you from?"

Nilani grinned. "I live in a small village far north of here. It's a quiet and small town for the most part, everyone knows everybody else. How about you?"

"I come from Takenuma, and I trained in Ejango Castle until I was expelled at age 18," Akuma responeded.

"Wow. Did you do something that bad? Why?"

Akuma felt anger welling up in her. She struggled with herself for a moment, then responded calmly, "I have a...different fighting style which many of my instructors frowned upon."

"I see," Nilani smiled, "It just happens that I left school as well! I actually never went to any school of magic. My family was too poor to send me to a good school. I actually left a normal school to pursue my magical dream after-"

She stopped talking.

"After what?" Akuma prompted.

"Never mind. It's just that, I went through something," Nilani frowned, "Something that is tough for me to retell."

Akuma nodded. She knew what it could be like, having a tough experience of her own as well.

"So," Nilani said, "What are good at when it comes to fighting?"

Akuma grinned. "I'm fast, quite good with a sword, and exploiting my opponent's weaknesses! Bet you can't do so much!"

Nilani smiled back at her. "I definitely can't. I'm only slightly adept in magic. My specialty comes in animating my special spells. Oh! I got an idea! Do you want to train together? We could have a friendly battle in a clearing in the forest close to here!"

Akuma exclaimed, "Oh boy, this is going to be fun! Prepare to get defeated!"

The two girls jumped up and ran down the trail to a small clearing in the forest. It was almost sunset now, so the sky looked pretty- pink, orange, and blue light filled the dazzling sky.

"Are you ready?" Akuma asked, " 'Cause I sure am!"

The samurai acted first. She drew her sword and launched herself towards the enchantress. Surprisingly, Nilani was very fast. She stepped out of the way of Akuma's blade.

This is training, but it feels so real! I don't know if I love this feeling or hate it, but I know that mom and dad would be so proud...

"Nice!" Akuma said as she ran quickly around Nilani, "I didn't know you were that agile, but I am a trained warrior, you know."

Nilani watched how Akuma moved, trying to predict the samurai's next attack before it happened. Akuma charged once more, but Nilani was ready. She waved her hand, and a circle of golden light appeared in front of the enchantress. Akuma's sword clashed with the golden shield, but failed to break through.

With surprising speed, Akuma appeared behind Nilani, ready for another attack. Panicked, Nilani whirled around, and another ball of golden light shot out from her hands. Akuma easily deflected it with her sword, and the light dissolved into the air.

C'mon...I can do this. I can do this.

Nilani quickly summoned another golden shield, but this time Akuma was ready for it. Instead of attacking, Akuma used the shield to propel herself into the air.

"Wow..." Nilani gasped, "Amazing."

Akuma angled herself downwards towards Nilani as she made her descent.

"This force should easily break those shields!"

Nilani smiled. She reached out to her shield, her hands now glowing with the same hopeful light. Just moments later, the light grew into a towering soldier. First a head, then arms, legs, and finally a sword. The enchantment-soldier parried Akuma's blade, before dispersing.

"Too much power..." Nilani gasped, suddenly tired, "I need to work on this. You win this one."

"You okay?" Akuma asked, concerned, as she walked over to her new friend, "That spell was so cool!"

Nilani's face lit up. "That was the biggest invocation I've tried to summon. Normally, they come to my size, maybe a little larger, but this one was huge! I think your fighting really inspired me to try something harder!"

Akuma responed, "Really?"

"Yeah!" Nilani said, "Really you really are honorable and awesome. Would you like to help me train later as well? I could really use it."

Akuma now felt happiness welling up inside of her. She hugged her new friend and whispered, "Of course I could."

As they walked back together, Nilani knew that through their training, she had just made her best friend.
  • @shadow123 ;Very naisu Caesar-chan! Really though ur writing is super good
  • Sorry I won't be able to participate very much because I can't use the internet for a few days.
  • Additional information for the contestants

I planned on writing this as a story but I realized that it would take too much writing and time to do so. So I have gathered some information instead and present it in bullet points. 

* Each contestant have been assigned a separate lodging within a small community and one "guide" who's purpose is to inform the contestant about general information regarding the tournament and maybe even the city to a limited degree. They also have the purpose to keep an extra eye on the contestants. 

* The lodging 
    - The lodging community in the Gwendolynian occupied district consists of ordinary homes made of either wood or some kind of white granite stone.
    The community has been temporarily walled off by a wooden palisade wall that can be enclosed if the need would appear. 

- The lodging community in the Medirnian occupied district is a part of an old fortress, at the northern city wall, with separated rooms in three different corridors. 
    The area is a kind of separated part of the fortress only connected to the main body through a single corridor with an iron door. 
    The fortress element does have its own outer gate which is being guarded must like the entry to the community in the Gwendolyn district.  

Both communities are separated from any ordinary citizens except earlier mentioned "guides" and they are in direct or almost direct connection to the headquarters of either military faction. 

Some more general information about Kiserova and Vosanova

Vosanova is famous for the following:

* Horses: The Astova horse, named after Ovan Astova, is one of the two best horse breeds in Dormania and one of the best in Avelaide. The horse breeders are almost all either Gwendolynian or Medirnian. Only one breeder in all of Vosanova is native. (The Ovan Astova noble family).

* Honey: Vosanovan honey is among the most desirable honey variations in the world and they have a large amount of different types. 
    The blood gold honey is the most expensive honey in the world and it is produced by the blood bees of Eido. This honey is completely produced by native farmers. 

* Wine: Most famous is the honey wine, which should be called something else but wine since it tastes much more like mead. 
    * Vasjo Enja (Honey cream) - Pretty much what it sounds like. A thick cream made partly of honey. Is often eaten with sweet bread, pastries or added as sweetener to a dish. 

* Sausages (horse meat and honey)
    * Green open fields 
    * The Evinan flower: Looks like a rose but with a long "dress" beneath the pistil. 

* The ovan culture with its many parts.
    - Unique music, dresses, Hair decorations, festivals, sports.
    We will probably explore more further down  the line regarding this culture. 

"A child that don't eat honey will never reach adulthood." 

Regarding any kind of military, the only thing that Vosanova is famous for is its small but effective cavalry in centuries past. Rahandi riders or Rahandi companions.
    "Rahandi" - A Vosanovan title much familiar to "knight" that exists even today even if the famous cavalry does not. 

More information and trivia will be added later. 

Oh s***t, I forgot to mention earlier at the start. 

Your characters does not need to be in any way native to Avelaide. 
    There is an implicit that your characters have traveled here through some inter-world way, portal or such. 
    Since this breaks so many rules, it is best to just keep it unexplained and assumed "solved" 
    What I am saying is that from a story perspective, your characters are here but how they got here does not matter. 
    If you want to have your characters native to the world or have them traveled here is up to you in the end. 

If you have any questions about the world or Kiserova, you can always ask. I might not be the fastest answerer... ererer, but I'll try. 
    ( I am exploring Vosanova myself so question are just appreciated, as long as I keep my brain intact.)

• @Jonteman93 (Question: Are we allowed to bring extra magical items and/or weapons into combat? If so then how many is the limit?)
  • Fallen_Lord_Vulganos 
    Yes you can bring more items, but the limit is that of logic. 
    So don't bring more than what would be technically possible or take artifacts out of the blue.
    Items and artifacts beyond those used as signature cards, should bring something to the story or depth to the character. 

Items that are brought just because they can be brought without any information, reason, background or anything else won't increase the win chance. In extreme cases they can actually reduce the win chances. 

Keep it logical and interesting. 
  • Later that day, Elos and Graagdord met again, this time further away from the tavern where they first met.

"You're not going to jump me like last time, right?" Elos said, stepping back in preparation and Graagdord and Gorchi approached.

"Heh," Graagdord smiled. "But no. This time we're gonna have what most people call a fair fight."

"Most people?"

"Well, in my opinion, even if I get the jump on someone, it's still a fair fight," Graagdord said. "After all, they should've seen it coming. But when some people say 'fair fight', they mean what's gonna happen in the tournament: two people coming at each other with big weapons from opposite sides of an arena."

With that, the two fighters took their positions, with Gorchi on the sidelines, watching. Elos drew Daybreaker, which gleamed in a flash of light. Graagdord held his small scimitar. As the two met in the center of the clearing, Daybreaker flashed once, twice, and after the third strike the blade was pointed at Graagdord, disarmed and stunned. Elos smiled.

"Don't get too cocky," Graagdord stepped over and retrieved his scimitar as Elos sheathed Daybreaker. "Remember, Torchy here wasn't helping me in that fight, and we come together, just like you and your sword."

Then Graagdord went over to a nearby small tree and, climbing up, broke off two sturdy branches. He threw one down to Elos and took the other for himself.

"Now let's see what you can do without your magic sword," Graagdord jumped down from the tree, landing in front of Elos, who stepped back. He looked skeptically at the branch, and timidly at the smiling goblin in front of him.

"Remember: confidence," Graagdord said as he approached. Elos took a defensive stance, and the two began sparring.

The battle was longer than their first. Elos parried several of the blows, but rarely made a strike with the stick himself. Finally, Graagdord struck Elos's hands, knocking the branch from them.

"Another lesson for you," said Graagdord, throwing his makeshift weapon to the side. "You need to be more aggressive, less defensive. It all boils down to confidence again. You need to have confidence in your ability to land a hit on me."

They continued sparring in a similar fashion and, occasionally, Elos would win.

(@TerryTags)
  • edited July 2020
    Mounds of gold, jewelries in many shapes were littered the large stone chamber. Illuminated only by the lights of torches that were placed on the wall in each of its respective holder, two certain people could be seen to be having a talk.

"All these gold, and we still couldn't have our freedom." Remarked a certain ronin, with her fingers of her right hand danced among the gold and jewelries.

A pause. The hum of the large, orrerry-like, active portal device that stood in the middle of the stone chamber also still continued on.

"Must you really be that dramatic?" Answered her brother Janus, still in a red scarf and rogue-like attire who was seemingly rummaging for certain items in a large box. 

"Found it." He added as he pulled a pair of somewhat dusty, steel plated boots. 

Quickly cleaned the items with some random gold-trimmed fabrics that were lying around, the person then went to approach his sister who was apparently sitting forlornly on a mound of treasures.

"So, a pair of dusty boots, hm." Remarked the ronin, still with her somewhat distant gaze.

"Not just some dusty boots, my dear, forlorn sister. It's the magically enchanted Swiftfoot Boots. While wearing these nice things, no amount of magical attacks can harm you. In addition it also makes the wearer to move across the land with enhanced speed, the very opposite while wearing a normal-grade footwear. Don't believe it? Then just simply try it!" He grinned coyly with the said items in hand.

The ronin's expression brightened a bit. "You know, that would be a very convincing sales pitch if I don't know you for a long time, you dolt." 

"Oh please, why must you wound me, my dear beautiful, one and only buyer." Exaggerated the man with a 'heartbroken' pose.

The ronin just shook her head with a smile, then she approached him and just simply took away the boots. Quickly removing her own boots, she then snuck in her feet in the pair of the new boots. 

"Hm, it seems fitting. Woah, my body feel even lighter." Sparks of flame were also appear underneath of the boots while she was testing her martial prowess by doing several quick karate moves deftly. A combat skill that she had to learn because she couldn't rely on her kenjutsu forever, as it was evident during her stay in Kamigawa in a confrontation against a kami called Kataki, the War's Wage, who literally took away all her previous weapons, causing her to be scolded and punished by her former master.

"You sure that these boots can ward off magical attacks?" 

"I actually used them before. It's just that they make sparks of flames everywhere, making them a lot less subtle and not really fit in stealth missions. So in exchange, I just stashed them and use this Ring of Evos Isle instead. A nice trinket that I got during my trip in Shandalar, along with the others of course." Still in a thoughtful pose, Janus showed her the ring with green gem that he was constantly wearing on his left middle finger.

"If you say so then." Jelene shrugged and picked up her normal boots, along with a small bag of gold coins in addition to buy things and food she would need later. 

"And uh, thanks for the stuffs anyway. Plus it's already midnight in Kiserova so yea." She waved towards him while walking towards an open portal that lead to another room of an empty house located somewhere in the said city.

"Be careful, oh and that guide of your team is watching the contestants very close too." Shouted Janus.

"I know that, that's why I'm gonna snuck out from the lodging every night." Jelene shouted back, then she went through the oval-shaped portal and vanished.

"Good luck... Plus I'm kinda hungry anyway..." Janus muttered and scratched his head as he walked towards the portal device, ready to go to another destination that has his preference of food.
  • @Jonteman93 (Items added: A pair of Swiftfoot Boots.)
  • Akuma watched from her spot leaning against a tree as Elos trained with the two goblins. It didn't feel good to watch, but then again, they weren't being private about it. And he did have a magic weapon... Akuma pushed it aside. There's nothing wrong with gathering information. Any respectable fighter would do the same. Daybreaker was truly a sight to behold. The light reflecting off it cast glimmering rays throughout the clearing, and it moved quicker than the eye could process. However, when we was disarmed, Elos struggled. That's what she would have to do. If she could seperate him and Daybreaker, the fight would quickly be over. She would have to be careful of having the same technique used against her, however. Naku Tsuki was most undoubtedly a heavier weapon, but a good enough use of a leverage point could see her disarmed efficiently. She would have to avoid crossing swords at any cost.
  • ( @Usaername ; Out of character: I know your character is on my character's "enemy" team, but I like reading the intrigue that Elos's first competitor is following him around gathering information.  So, props for that! LOL.  I promise not to break character when I write my next story post! That's some good flavor!  MTIG! "Magic: The Information Gathering")
  • edited July 2020
    @Jonteman93
    As for the mentioned guide, will it be described or can we create it?
    Another question is about the hosts, can we interact with them before the battle or do we leave the use of these characters to you?
    Gwendolyn's first and second host of the tournament
This discussion has been closed.