Tournament on Par Raga

1 cm on the map = 50 km in game

Welcome to Par Raga! The island plane comprised of three island rings and an island in the middle, called The Mid.

The first ring is all unexplored jungles and dark forests with dangerous and deadly inhabitants. The second vast plains and hills and the third is rocky with tall mountains.

You have been chosen by a mysterious entity to participate in the grand tournament. Your goal is to get to the Sword of Gods that is located on The Mid and be the last man (or woman) standing in the tournament. You are allowed to take a group that will help you on this dangerous adventure.

This is how it's going to work:

Phase 1 a): Your Characters
  • Create a lead figure and a group, that is going to follow them throughout Par Raga. The lead must be a legendary creature. The other cards should not be legendary, but it's ok if you make for example a companion to the lead, a friend or a legendary settlement. The main point is that it is not supposed to be a group of legendaries.
  • Your group can range from random mercenaries, team of knights to a religious organisation or a flock of harpies, your imagination and these rules are your only limits. Also note that the lead should be a sapient creature (it wouldn't really make sense otherwise)
  • The group must follow your lead's color identity like in a commander deck, the lead can be max three colors
  • It is recommended that the group has a certain theme going
  • Create cards for your group - it can include creatures (beings that are following your lead in the tournament), artifacts (gadgets that you're taking with you) and lands (maybe you start from a certain settlement). Enchantments, instants and sorceries are saved for phase 2. Planeswalkers are banned. Post the cards here.
  • You can post from 3 to 7 cards and please do it all at once. No old cards (only cards created specificaly for this Saga)
  • NO JOKE CARDS
  • PLEASE take serious attention to the wording, text and overall design of your cards
  • It will be nice to also post an explanation of your group with the cards. Who are they? Who is the lead? Engage your lore cells
Phase 1 b): Starting point
  • Along with the characters please choose a starting point for your group. This will be important in Phase 2.
  • Your starting position MUST be in the third ring and can't be in close proximity of an Orb (marked clearly on the map with a circle). The minimum distance from an Orb is aproximately 2 centimeters on the map.
Phase 2 a): THE TOURNAMENT BEGINS!

• Once there is enough participants, the tournament shall begin, which will be clearly stated by me in the discussion
  • Now the game will go about in turns. Each player states their intention for the turn and shows it by a card. This can be a sorcery, instant or an enchantment showing the action your group takes. This can include moving to another location, cutting down trees and building ships, building a settlement, healing, gathering food, preparing for a battle, whatever you want to do at the moment.
  • The action needs to make sense as possible in one turn. You can't move your group more than 50 km (1 cm on the map) in one turn for example.
  • After all players have taken their turn, the new one begins.
Phase 2 b): The objective
  • Now to the Orbs. These are placed around the map and are you main goal before aproaching The Mid and going for the Sword of Gods. Each Orb is guarded by a challenge.
  • Whenever your action for the turn results in your group approaching an Orb, I will present the challenge represented by a custom card and you will have to respond by a solution (also represented by a card, in your case it again has to be an instant, sorcery or enchantment). The solution needs to be in the theme of your group. For example if you run a mono-white cleric organisation, you cannot pull out a burn spell to deal with the creature guardian.
  • I will determine whether you passed the challange based on a number of criteria. The card needs to look good and be balanced while also serving as an effective answer to the threat you are presented with. For example if there is a 3/3 guardian Golem by one of the Orbs, you can try to take it down with a flavorful burn spell.
  • If you fail an Orb challange, I will determine your fate
  • The Orbs do nothing for now, but will be useful in Phase 3
  • You can't collect Orbs, that have already been collected by another participant (duh
Phase 2 c): The world and other players
  • You might also be presented with random challanges from the world itself (for example a herd of animals, sandstorm, regular storm, etc.). These will work similarly to the Orb challanges.
  • It can happen that two players' groups meet. In this case the players themselves will decide, what they are going to do. Silently back out? Attack each other? Talk? Your choice.
  • If this occurs, one group will be the one who's action resulted in the meeting (in other words they walked to the other group). When this happens, the other group will have the first move - make a card (instant, sorcery or enchantment) that represents your action and the coming group has to respond with their card. The result of the confrontation will be judged by me depending on the same criteria as above
Phase 2 d): The Mid
  • Phase 2 ends when one of the players successfully gets to The Mid and takes out the Sword of Gods. I'm not going to tell you much, but it will not be easy. Note that you can approach the island with no Orbs, but you are very likely to fail very very quickly.
  • Once a player has laid hands on the Sword, phase 2 ends immediately and all other groups are teleported to The Mid for the final confrontation. Of course the group with the sword will have a huge advantage.
Phase 3: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
  • The final confrontation will play out just like Phase 2, but this time everyone is very close to each other. Your goal here will be to kill all other leaders and stand as the last one and with the Sword of Gods in your posession. The Sword itself will be very useful (how, that you will find out once you get it) as well as the Orbs that you collected. Those can also be useful in getting to the island.
  • Once there has been a clear winner, it will be announced and the Saga will end. The winner will be awarded by a lot of favorites and a follow.
And now - LET US BEGIN!

Jeez, this thing is long... Well, hope you get it and will have fun.

Comments

• edited August 2020
    I'll reserve this post to edit and post my cards :)
    It will be focused on a magical team of engineers.

Krass, Leader and Strength: The leader.
    Saymon, the Chief Engineer: Krass' right arm and fallen in love with Bodyguard of the Flames.
    Bodyguard of the Flames: Master in elemental weapons. Fire specialty. Saymon's longtime friend.
    Experienced Browser: Guide chosen by Krass to better direct his routes.
    Maintenance Robots: Excavator maintenance and mission helpers. Created by Saymon and Krass.
    Sirena Engineer: Engineer rescued by Krass in his homeland. A great friend and defender of maintenance robots.
    Thousand Faces Excavator: Troop locomotion.

Edit: All cards posted on 07/23

Can I do the Human Engineer type instead of Human Pilot?
    Edit 07/22: I'll use Artificer 
  • @CassZero Sure, go for it. Just to note, wouldn't Artificer do? But I have no problems with the Egineer subtype.

Also thanks for joining an I'm looking forward to your whole team!
  • @ThePhantomJoker
    Now that I understand ... it's an island (lmao) and my concept will be a kind of "pirate of the earth".
    Can I make a hybrid card (two sides, transformation) for my Thousand Faces Excavator card that only considers one in the count of 7?
    I don't know if it will interfere, but as this is land based, I want to do some for the sea too.
  • @CassZero Yes, you canmake a double sided card and it will only count as a single card. Also Maintenance Robots is a cool card, but could you maybe put the "named" onto another line so it doesn't overlap with the edge? 
  • edited July 2020
    I'd like to reserve and enter these to start.
    Highsworn VanguardEthmarch Dictator PrimusBounding Lizardon-RiderCaptain of the FrontDevoted LightcallerFlamesaber MyrmidonEthmarchs Detainment Post

• @FinalMove Will you be able to post images of your cards instead of just links? Would be nice
  • how do I do that?
  • @FinalMove There is an image icon on the top bar which you see while writing a comment. You click on that and thaen copy a URL or upload an image from your computer. It used to be a lot more complicated, I'm glad they changed it.
  • edited July 2020
    I'd like to reserve and enter these to start. They're a gnoll pack that's known for its use of sorcery and stolen artifice. I'll expand on them more when I have time.

Disciple of KezziDeranged Junker
    Tempest Spire

Expanding on their story, the Riverfang pack has long been known for its refusal to adhere to gnoll traditions and their willingness to make use of artifice that they steal. While not truly evil, they are no saints, and will use any advantage they can to gain dominance over their homelands. The Riverfangs are locked in an eternal battle with their long-time enemies, the Grizzlegrin and Bloodmane packs. Having learned of a powerful magic sword in Par Raga, Esh, matriarch of the Riverfang tribe, has ordered her niece Kezzi to take a large contingent of gnolls to investigate the rumors of this magic sword, and to claim it if possible. Kezzi was more than happy to comply, confident that the Sword of the Gods will give the Riverfangs the advantage they need to deal with their enemies once and for all.
  • @ThePhantomJoker so how are the starting points determined? I recommend numbering the outer circle islands and we choose which one to start at through that.

• Here's my group of holy paladins, clerics, knights, and an angel to guide them.
  • edited July 2020
    Here are my entries. Or, the start of them lol.

Bleak SkyeaterFollowers of the StarsTowering Soulgorger

• @FinalMove That's clever, I'm going to work on that
  • edited July 2020
    Anyways, so far we have -
    @CassZero with his team of Engineers lead by Krass
    @FinalMove with his batallion of Soldiers lead by Ethmarch
    @Level20GnollBard with his Gnoll pack lead by Kezzi
    @fire12 with his Palladin company lead by Syrna
    @v_OozeNinja_v with his group of cultists lead by Manya

I'm going to give everyone until the end of the month to finish their cards and descriptions, and to choose their starting point once I give you the numbered map. Maybe someone will join.

Just a side-note - I can't miss the fact, that nobody has chosen green in their color identity. Interesting.
  • @Everybody Another important thing for all the participants - please do not look at my profile during the Saga, it will contain cards that will appear in the challanges, so don't ruin your surprise
  • edited July 2020

Ok guys, here is the map with all numbers. Each ring has its own set of numbers starting with 1, so the way you will refer to them is for eaxaple 3.12 (meaning "Third Ring - Island number 12). Islands with Orbs are not numbered - they have letters from A to M representing all of the Orbs. The islands on the third ring that you can't use as starting points are also not numbered. (Just to note, 3.18 can be used as a starting position, just at a larger distance from the Orb.)

Now please all choose your starting location. Who will not choose their starting point before the end of the month will be given one of my choice.
  • edited July 2020
    My group was part of a church that worshipped a god of light, until finding out that the high priests were actually corrupt and had made up this god of light so that they would be sent sacrifices. In response to learning this, my group went in search of Syrna, who lead them in battle against the Church, which while the Church had thousands more soldiers, Syrna used that to her advantage. After a few years, the truth got out and the church was destroyed. The group then heard of a tournament that went around the entire world, and wanted in.

Edit: They live on 3.9
  • edited July 2020
    There is a call to this place. A dark calling that brings the Starchosen to this place.

Essentially, mine is a wannabe world-ending death cult that wants to learn the secrets of the world within this tournament, and want to add the knowledge of it to not only bolster their powers of their dark gods, but to prevent others from hindering them with it as well.

They arrive on 3.16.
  • I updated the Riverfangs' story in my previous post, but reposting it again just in case.

The wily Riverfang pack has long been known for its refusal to adhere to gnoll traditions and their willingness to make use of artifice that they steal. While not truly evil, they are no saints, and will use any advantage they can to gain dominance over their homelands. The Riverfangs are locked in an eternal battle with their long-time enemies, the Grizzlegrin and Bloodmane packs. Having learned of a powerful magic sword in Par Raga, Esh, matriarch of the Riverfang tribe, has ordered her niece Kezzi to take a large contingent of gnolls to investigate the rumors of this magic sword, and to claim it if possible. Kezzi was more than happy to comply, confident that the Sword of the Gods will give the Riverfangs the advantage they need to deal with their enemies once and for all.

They arrive on 3.20

• edited July 2020
    Ok guys, we're off! Today was the last day of Phase 1 and from the 1st of August, we are officially in the game. Recapitulation of the participants:
    @CassZero's Engeneers arriving on 3.18 (east)
    @FinalMove's Batallion arriving on 3.22 (whichever part of the island)
    @Level20GnollBard's Riverfangs arriving on 3.20
    @fire12's Palladins arriving on 3.9
    @v_OozeNinja_v's Cult arriving on 3.16

All of the instructions are above, whenever you feel ready from tomorrow on, you can do your moves for the first turn. We'll wait until everyone has made their turn and then proceed to repeat the process. I might or might not reply to your moves with an action of the surroundings (or you could aproach an Orb, see above for instructions). If somebody doesn't reply in a span of a week, his group will be declared as lost to the wilderness. This timespan might and probably will become shorter.

Good luck to everybody and LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!
  • This shows the crew getting aboard their ship, and making it fly towards Orb B in order to avoid going across dangerous territory.
  • edited August 2020
    The Riverfangs make use of their shamans to detect sources of great magical energy on the island. One shaman discovers a source of power at Orb D. Armed with this knowledge, the Riverfangs make their way to 3.19 en route to Orb D.

• The starchosen uses her followers and great creatures to collect some sacrifices and offer them to her dark deities. By doing so, she gets insight and, with her cult, sets for to Orb "I", as the dark sight falls upon that area to increase her power...and theirs.

• @fire12 Midway to the island of Orb B your ship is caught in some unpredictable wind.

How does your crew respond?

• Syrna lets the ship fall to the water, where it will be easier for the group to use its holy powers to resist the winds.
  • @v_OozeNinja_v What is your method of transport? There is sea in the way. The same goes for @Level20GnollBard
  • @fire12 Well done, you have safely navigated throught the turbulences. For future challanges, please keep your cards in your group's color  identity, but this one if pretty flavorful, so I will let it slide this time.
  • Ohh, sorry and Thanks!
  • @ThePhantomJoker The Riverfangs arrived on the archipelago in a stolen war barge accompanied by a number of longboats. The Riverfangs use these longboats to travel from island to island.

This discussion has been closed.