New types

Alright, new challenge, gotta do this quick.
So, the idea is to post up to 5 cards relating to a new card type. Like, instant, creature, that stuff. It has to be a type, not sub or super. Post the rules below the card, not in the card, and try to make the five cards each color and its interaction with the card type.
That's all for now, no old entries or joke, no judging, do your best!
Bonsoir!

Comments

• Sorry @LordTachanka123, we don't wanna.
  • Ummmmm... @joemamajoe, is that a weird bump or just actually saying no one wants too?
  • @LordTachanka123
    Subtype is fine
    but new type?
  • edited August 2020
    Remember It's ''Just for Fun Contests''
    I will try to think something.
  • edited August 2020
    Here's my new idea, I call it "Dreams". At the beginning of your upkeep, if you're playing with dreams, you may scry 1. If that card is a Dream, put it onto the battlefield. However, if you draw a dream from the top card of your library, you must discard it. (You can only play it if you scry it)

These aren't really color focused, but I feel like they would be {u}, {b/w}, and {g}.
  • Introducing new card types can make some cards stronger, such as Tarmogoyf.
    Cards that don't go to your deck might be more realistic, like conspiracy cards or Plane cards.
  • @Tomigon I've been thinking about making different type cards for a while now, and I first did that with my "Spells". The name was the same however, so I'm changing it and releasing "SNAP's Spellbook 2.0" soon. It'll feature new type cards, such as deck build arounds and conspiracy like cards. 

New cards types are tough. We already cover most magical-fantasy-duel ingredients, but I think the one thing missing is the place of battle. Which is ironic since Magic is all about different Planes, which is kind of already used in Planechase, which got me thinking about adding something like that as a regular card.

Enter "Arenas" (which is already a word associated with "a place to square off in a Magic battle").

Rules: Arenas are permanents that have symmetrical effects. Just like World Enchantments, there can only ever be one on the battlefield at any given time.

[(State Based) If two or more permanents have the supertype arena, all except the one that has had the arena supertype for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners’ graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “arena rule.”]

However, to cast an arena when there is one in play already, you must also pay the Attune cost of the arena that's currently in play. (It's harder to change the battlefield location once it's been set)

[An arena cast while there is an arena on the battlefield costs an additional amount of mana to cast equal to the Attune cost of the arena on the battlefield]

Attuning to an arena allows you to gain access to an additional, and better, effect. Any player may attempt to attune to an arena by paying the Attune cost any time they can cast a sorcery.

Here's where I'm unsure of the rules haha. I'd imagined you pay the Attune cost and it was like a 1-sided Clash, where the player reveals the top card of their library and if any trait of the card matches one listed next to the attune cost, they become Attuned to that arena until it leaves play. Multiple traits can be listed, and they can be things like color, supertype, subtype, CMC, etc. Then they may put that card back on top or on the bottom (consolation prize, {2} to scry 1 here).

But that might be too hard to do. The idea is that you're picking the battlefield, you're building your deck to work best with this arena, but the other player(s) have a chance to attune to. Should attuning reveal top 3 cards to allow a better chance?

Idk. Thanks for reading this novella. Thoughts?
  • Wow. @Shadaar, that was a loooooooooooooooooooooot.
    But I read it all, and decided that I absolutely love it. Whilst the rulings can be a little confusing, it makes a lot of sense and I can certainly imagine tons of build around decks, or even whole formats developed over it. The card type is absolutely wonderful, great work!
    On suggestions, I'm not exactly the best guy to go to. That would most likely be @DomriKade, who has a lot more experience in this field. 
  • @SNAPcreator7 wouldn't playing a deck with one dream in it make it so you get a free scry every turn? That by itself is powerful.
  • Thanks @LordTachanka123 ! I'm glad you liked it! I tried writing some "comprehensive rules" based on existing ones, but gave up after the second one. I don't envy the people who really have to write those!  New card types would come with all sorts of rules baggage though, I hope I got all the ideas across ok.  I'll try and add some more Arena cards later on
  • edited August 2020
    @fire12, how it works is like how 2 people play brawl/commander, so you can only play for dreams if all other players are as well. You can't play for dreams unless everyone is playing for dreams.
  • Some more Arena cards for perusal. Some more recognizable locales in Magic image image
    image image
  • @Shadaar
    If nothing else ... WOW.  I'm imagining if WOTC did this, they could release a mythic Arena with every new block set.  Going back to Zendikar?  They add a mythic "Teeth of Akoum" or "Surrakar Caves" arena along with your Tangled Vale.  Headed back to Innistrad?  "The Helvault" arena would like to keep you for a while...  I know people are going to nitpick the rules details, but seriously, this is a great idea that could use some fleshing out, for sure!  Nice job!  I like it :smile:
  • @TerryTags thanks so much!!  The rules could definitely use some help haha.  I had a lot of fun designing these, imagining what it would mean to fight in these locations and what types of Planeswalkers could use these places to their advantage.  I just hope these can stand apart enough from legendary lands and enchantments (mostly by mandating symmetrical effects).  
  • Battle of Ages

The reminder basically sums it up, but only play with it if the other players are too.
  • Hey Friends!

I have a new type called "Catalyst". I wanted the theme to be a game changing event triggered card. Meaning that you have been losing the game or struggling but then there is a catalyst in the game and the requirements are met to maybe give you a second chance or new angle. 

Catalyst Cards: If the "Catalyst:" on the Catalyst card is met, immediately cast that card from your hand regardless of turn, phase or restrictions. Resolve the catalyst card then proceed with the game. Catalyst cards can't be countered, they have no color, and can only be cast when the catalyst is met, other card can allow you to cast them from your hand, exile, or graveyard (there are loop holes). You may only have one Catalyst card of each name title per deck. If you play a Catalyst more then once for any reason remove that Catalyst from the game.  

(ie. I meet the catalyst for Witness the Divine, I resolve the cards effects and play the game. I play Fae of wishes and return the removed Witness the Divine back to my hand I have already met/meet the catalyst again and cast Witness the Divine. Because this is the second time I cast that named Catalyst it is removed from the game instead of to the graveyard.)

Not a perfect system and I'm sure the metas on here are going to rip it apart but a fun concept I thought. 

image image image
This discussion has been closed.