Planar Bang

12345679»

Comments

• sorry for taking a while I wanted to post the newest stage 2 days ago but I had to fix a problem with my computer wich took an entire day and then got super busy, I'll have it posted today!
  • Stage Five - Planeswalkers

Travelers from worlds beyond The Dreamer's world tree.

You heard right! Now that we've made the world and the conflicts it's currently facing, we are free to create the outsiders that've traveled to it!

Or well, that is one of the possibilities, but rather, any and all planeswalkers that have been to this plane, no matter the reason or the ammount of time they've spent in it, no matter wether they were simply tourists, explorers, runaways, first time planeswalkers, or even planeswalkers that originated from Draumdrasil itself! Doesnt matter if they're planeswalkers that are cannon to mtg to planewalkers of your own making! Doesnt matter if they had a major, minor, or no role at all in the current story of the plane! All planeswalkers are allowed!

Of course, even if it's a planeswalker that's cannon to mtg you have to make a new card for them that depicts them as how they were when travelling to the plane, and only one card will be accepted for each planeswalker (unless those cards depict them at would be different points in time).

In addition, you can make any supporting cards for those planeswalkers, maybe a creature they've made a bond with in the plane, or one of their signature spells, an artifact they carry arround, or a card depicting an event that they've experienced in the plane or in their past, all of those are valid cards to make as part of an entry, but they're optional and a planeswalker card for that planeswalker will be required!

We currently know of only one planeswalker that's been to the plane, that being Nicol Bolas, so a card that depicts him when visiting the plane will be required.

This is the challenge of this stage: Make cards that depict planeswalkers that have been to this plane, you may also make cards that depict events, artifacts, spells, places, creatures, etc relevant to those planeswalkers using any card type, but only the planeswalker card is required!

The deadline is the 17th of August, winners may vary.

The deadline will be moved if people need more time or a card to depict Nicol Bolas during his visit isnt made.
  • How many planeswalkers can we theoretically enter? I know we need old Nic, but is there a set limit beyond that?
  • there is no upper limit!

you can enter as many as you want, but each planeswalker will be considered a separate entry, so not all planeswalkers you make will nessesarely win if another one does
  • edited July 2020
    Maybe after the recent events in Theros, Ashiok's spark whisks her away to this plane, and she finds herself in this strange land that worships a dreamy memory of Nicol Bolas from many years ago?  She'd be like, "These fools don't know Bolas is imprisoned, and the Dreams and Nightmares of this place are perfect for me to exploit!"

What do you guys think about letting Ashiok take Bolas's place as Mother?

• @TerryTags Love the Ashiok planeswalker!! Although that story doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons in the lore (Actually, just two.):

1. After their spark gets ignited, planeswalkers can planeswalk anywhere they want, as they are in total control.

2. After the events of TBD, Ashiok actually went to study and learn about the Pherixians (99% sure I spelt that wrong), or, as he called them, "Living Nightmares".

• edited July 2020
    Kanly Guiding Star

After wandering onto Draumdrasil, Kanly found herself stranegly enamored with it, and the inhabitants with her. Even though she is an angel, some of the nightmares began to imagine her as the Bolas Mother returned. As she learns more about the plane, and as the Dreamer awakens, she unconsciously begins to imitate the eldest evil himself...

Nicol Bolas Corrupter

Nicol Bolas.

Even after millenia, Bolas's manipulations still affects Draumdrasil. Even though the elder dragon can no longer return to reap what he has sown, he would surely smile if he could see the plane now. His insinuations have done so much, and there is possibility yet of him making a planeswalker his own from beyond time and space.

(links to cards are embedded in the images)
  • @dragonbornletter
    1. Yep, that's a good point! 
    2. Yep, that's a good point! 
     :D 
    Oh well, I guess I'll need to work on my lore ... but still ... I think since Taco Bolas made a run for the border, Ashiok might still come to this plane after Phyrexia?  [shrug]
  • @TerryTags Or... you can do what R&D did in war of the spark... and Ashiok... Is actually.... ninja-star throwing, shapeshifter.... Lazav!  :D
  • ooooh noice

and lol, well you could say that ashiok went there after whatever phyrexians they've studied and somehow found draumdrasil

if you clean up the lore for your ashiok card it can still be a very good entry ;P
  • bumping cause this is still going!
  • tomorow will be the last day of Stage Five!

if anyone needs more time say now!
  • Last Day of Stage Five!
  • if anyone needs more time say now!
  • Stage Five Has Ended!

The results will be posted soon!
  • edited August 2020
    sorry for taking a bit haha, currently writing it down, it didnt take long to do I just had a messy week so I couldnt get into it till now
  • Stage 5 is Completed!

Once again we had a small ammount of entries, only three this time, it's a shame and I'm sure I could've done better to keep the contest more lively, but it's what we got now.

So: lets get to it!

The Winners Are!:

by @SpellPiper2213

The obligatory bolas planeswalker card that depicts him as he was when he visited the plane and corrupted The Dreamer's psyche.

Although the card itself may be a bit OP from a mechanical standpoint what primarely matters is the flavor!

The flavor does get through with the drawing and forcing discard, and the stealing cards and creatures to symbolize the corruption of Draumdrasil and the creation of Bolas' own nightmare spawns.

by @SpellPiper2213

Kanly, Guiding Star is an angel planeswalker that has made her pressence known to the plane, she has become enamored with the plane and many of it's inhabitants with her.

Perhaps from how she acts, perhaps from her angelic figure, perhaps from her imagery, or perhaps from her being a planeswalker some of the nightmare spawn from bolas have begun associating her with their god, some even seeing them as the new coming of it; and thanks to the nature of the plane and the constant sacrifices to the Bolas Mother her own subconcious has been affected, and as time goes by she slowly beings to immitate the dragon planeswalker more.

Are this changes only temporary? Will they only affect a minor part of her personality? Or will they warp her mind to a point of no return? That remains to be seen.

Honorable Mention!:

by @TerryTags

Ashiok is a planeswalker that is very well suited for this plane, in fact they seem like the prime candidate for a planeswalker that originated from it (though that will never be cannon in mtg lore haha) and this card itself is a very good card in mechanics and flavor; and I really hoped for an Ashiok card as an entry.

But the lore proposed for it was not the most fitting nor cannonically correct to MTG lore.

Wich is why I felt conflicted wether I should put it as a winning entry or not, however this is what I've decided:

Ashiok is cannonically visiting this plane, or has cannonically visited it, but the lore behind it is yet to be fleshed out, and thus this is just an honorable mention.

One thing is clear though, they seek to, in some way, reap the benefits of what Bolas sowed, likelly as a way of experimenting with nightmares.

Stage 6 will be posted soon!

And a small surprise will come with it ;P
  • edited September 2020
    Stage 6 - The Finishing Touches

Have you wished a concept within the plane had been more explored? Have you wished that certain cards that would totally make for a cycle within a set had other cards made for them to close that cycle? Have you simply missed your opportunity to make an entry for a previous stage or would like to make a new one with the current knowledge of the plane? Or perhaps you simply wish you've seen more cards that use the mechanics that have been created for the plane? Or maybe you wish you could tweak the mechanics or wording for a card you've previously made?

Well, now is your chance!

This stage is all about looking back to all the previous stages and wrapping up any loose ends you think should be tied. And yes, it is indeed, the last stage for this season of the contest!

Now, what loose ends are there in this contest? What cycles are there still to close? Well there are certainly more than I'll say right now, but I will give a few examples to show what can be done:

Within the plane of Draumdrasil there are gods that are the creation of The Dreamer, so far Ma'adi is the only one we know of, he was the first god created and he is charged with The Forgotten Realm, a place where things go to when they're forgotten.

Perhaps a cycle of monocolored gods could be a thing within the plane? Or perhaps a cycle of different number of color combinations, or perhaps, a number of gods to whom their color identity doesnt really matter.

Perhaps a cycle of rare legendary lands for each faction would be good, even if currently the one for the nightmares is not tricolored.

Perhaps each faction could do with it's own uncommon tricolored creature to represent them. Or perhaps the leaders of each faction could use a signature spell.

And speaking of each faction and their leaders:

Currently all of the factions have a tricolored legendary creature card to represent the leader of the faction except, for the nightmares.

This is the one card that will be required for this stage, a leader for the UBR nightmares faction!
    However, do not let that stop you from making an other cards that could fit this stage that you want to make.

There are many more cards that could fit this stage, such as 2 colored legendary creatures for the factions wich only the nightmares and the Awakened currently have, signpost uncommons for a would be set for the plane, a curse cycle, and so much more.

These are only examples, you can follow them, or not.

This is the challenge of this stage!:  Make cards to complete uncomplete cycles or would be cycles for this plane, cards for things you think should be explored more within this plane, and/or cards that would fit a previous stage that you wish could be added or modified now!
    The only card required is one nightmare to complete the three colored commanders for the factions!

The deadline is the 17th of september.

The deadline will be moved if anyone asks for more time or if a cycle for wich cards were created during this stage remains unfinished by that date, to give the chance to finish it if people want.

• edited September 2020
    The Hidden Watcher

A leader for the nightmares

Monastery of the Hexmage

A legendary land for Toikalli

Cyclic Dream Rushing Dream Somber Dream Fervent Dream

Finishing off the curse cycle
  • ooooh, very noice!
  • but random thing, on fervent dream u linked a different card by the same name lol
    @SpellPiper2213
  • @Xero0 thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now.
  • The deadline if tomorow!

If anyone wants to make an entry and needs more time say now!

I'm sad that I couldnt keep the contest more alive, but it is what it is; if no entries are made by the end of tomorow I'll just finish it and make the final post and give the prizes when I can compile it all.
  • Stage 6 has ended!
This discussion has been closed.