The Third Annual Artful August

Comments

• @spookoops

"Cards will be judged on both standard contest design rules, as well as the artwork design and relation to the card concept presented." (Corwinnn)
  • Every single card on here is getting featured. Hmm.
  • edited August 2020
    Alright, here's my entry for this year and perhaps my last card for a while! 

Sword of Growth and Impulse

Because who doesn't love fancy swords! (:
  • Is it okay to submit a card with original art from before August this year? I couldn't find anything in the rules saying otherwise. If not, I'll pick something from this month (I just like some of my older ones better) or try and get another illustration/card put together. 
  • edited August 2020
    @The-DM ; -Thank you!
    @crawdadswelcome ; -As long as it wasn't entered into this challenge either of the past years, I believe we're okay with it. If not, I'll let you know!
  • @Corwinnn, "I not I'll let you know."
  • @The-DM, thank you, somehow I skimmed over that section. I had to re-read like 3 times...

• The majority of my artwork was done 20-ish years ago, before my disability. I have a lot of pencil sketches done, and was difficult for me to choose which card to post.
  • edited August 2020
    Marsh Tzygnet
    I'm really happy with how this card turned out. The original drawing was done in color pencil on a watercolor postcard for one of my patreon backers.

I then scanned it into photoshop, desaturated it, and re-colored. I traced the rough outline into a sketchbook, then drew a background in pencil that could be underlaid. Here's the full-res illustration
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/marsh-tzygnet

• Oh god another good artist!
  • A bit late for this question, but is there a certain theme here?

(There are a lot of animals...)
  • @The-DM Animals are just easier to draw than other things in many cases. (Not all times though)
  • @crawdadswelcome
    Truly lovely artwork. That pencil sketch is wonderful!

If you've any interest, my scribbles (like the cropped piece I've used for my avatar) can be found at Justin Van Liew on ArtStation and @jd_artwork on IG. Any feedback from you would be greatly appreciated!
  • edited August 2020
    Not my best piece, but I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish. If you didn't know, (which you probably didn't) hands are the bane of my existence. I am super proud of these hand; they are the best hands I have ever drawn. And so, with that, here is my submission.

This was done with a pencil, then inked with an artists pen. All color is done with my colored pencils.

• @Usaername, one of the best artworks I've ever seen! Great job!
  • edited August 2020
    My card.
  • edited August 2020

• I feel another reminder of the contest rules might be good about now...

Challenge:
    As in previous years, we want you to create a Custom Card, using original artwork created and owned by you. Cards will be judged on both standard contest design rules, as well as the artwork design and relation to the card concept presented.

Entries will be accepted from August 1st - August 31st. Winners to be chosen by our League of Judges and announced the first week of September. You may only enter one card url, so submit wisely. Cards may be directly edited (premium feature) on the same submission URL until the final day of the contest, but you cannot re-post/enter more than once.

• Halfway through the month, and I've barely made any progress... >.<

@Corwinnn, is it allowed if I get a splash of help from friends?
  • Absolutely - As long as you give them some credit, and they don't do the majority of the work... which I know would not be the case with yours, but I say it for anyone else who might ask, whose work I haven't already seen
  • edited August 2020
    My card:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/alexi-digitalized?list=user
    (Colored Pencil, Pen.)
    --------
    Full art:

--------
    Pencil:

(The second half was done separately and for character clothing design. I didn't put it on because there were also several other projects on the paper. Art is melded together.)

Sorry for the length...
  • @Corwinnn
    I can still add color and maybe edit my card a little right?
  • @Fantastickill7 , hope this answers your question.

Cards may be directly edited (premium feature) on the same submission URL until the final day of the contest, but you cannot re-post/enter more than once. (Corwinnn)
  • edited August 2020
    I regret to inform you that I probably won't make the deadline for Artful August. I had gotten a late start, and due to a head injury, I am unable to focus well enough in order to make a presentable piece in a timely fashion.
  • I edited my original post but here's the link to my updated entry
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/pray-for-your-enemies
  • edited August 2020
    @Tommia... that's unfortunate. Hopefully you'll post it when you do finish it, because we'd really love to see it!

Also, feel better!!
  • I forgot my art stuff. Unless I can somehow speed through some stuff with what little free time I have between classes, I'm not going to finish by the end of the month. (And that's assuming I test negative.)
This discussion has been closed.