Partners for Life, <Logic Challenge>.

edited September 2020 in Contests and Challenges
Hey  Everyone!

I love EDH and I especially love the newer partner mechanic that commanders are flaring now days. So here is the deal I want to see a two minimum, 3 maximum card set that has the partner mechanic for an EDH deck. The color identity of the deck must be met by the combination/combinations of the commanders you create, (ie. if you make a UBR deck identity then these commander cards must be partnered in any way that meets this identity). Everything else is up you and how you want to make it. The winners will get the following:

1st - 7 likes on cards I like from your sets.
2nd - 3 likes on cards I like from your sets.
3rd - 1 likes on cards I like from your sets.
4th - 1 likes on cards I like from your sets.
5th - 1 likes on cards I like from your sets.

All winners will also be the first to get a review on my YouTube channel Reforged Logic. This is a new channel and I want to start with some stellar reviews of cards made by you guys. You will get all the credit and mentions and hopefully MTG Cardsmith community will grow. Good luck every one.

Dates
The official start date will be 8/26/2020, but feel free to submit before.
The official end date will be 9/9/2020, I will be reviewing cards each Wednesday, in not more.
The official winner announcement will be 9/10/2020.
The Video will be up on 9/23/2020 or sooner. 

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A BLAST GUYS.

**Grading:

The following will incremented or subtracted buy 1 point to formulate your score. Incremental scores start with 0 point and subtracted Scores start with 3 and can dip into the negatives. The total accumulated score that is the highest 1-5th place win. The following categories apply and you may alter cards in your post until 9/9/2020 @ 1159 Mountain Standard.

Incremental:
  • +1 for each element of synergy between the partners, (feel free to point these out to me if you want, sometime I think in one color)
  • +1 for artist credit
  • +1 for art reflecting the card name/theme/color
  • +1 for each comment your card receives in the thread by another contestant (I do not count)
Subtracted:
  • -1 for text/formatting/grammar errors
  • -1 unidentifiable synergy between the partners (this is me just not seeing anything and you do explain one)

Contest FAQ:

• Is 2-3 card set a pack of cards? 
Yes to the set of 2-3 cards that are a pair/(Pack) of cards. (ie. card A can partner with card B and or card C) these are all one group of cards that function as partners together. As for the original color identity, they all must be able to be played as the commander or in the commander deck. (ie. if you make a UBR deck identity then these cards must be partnered in any way that meets this identity.)

• Does this have to be a Partner or Partner with mechanic?
You may make them as either Partner or Partner with, that is your call for functionally you have that freedom as well.

WINNERS _--_--_--_--_--_--_--_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st: @EternalWolf88 ;

2nd: @MemoryHead ;

3rd: @SpellPiper2213 ;

4th: @fire12 ;

5th: @Undead ;

Comments

• edited August 2020
    When you say card set, presumably you mean that our entry should be a single "pack" of two or three cards, and that we can only enter one of these packs? Just looking to clarify.

Also, is your focus specifically on the default partner (with anything) for commanders, or are "partner with" and "partner with" being used on cards that can't be your commander (because they aren't legendary or whatever) also fair game?
  • @MemoryHead ;

Good Questions, Lets Clarify!

Yes to the set of 2-3 cards that are a pair/(Pack) of cards. (ie. card A can partner with card B and or card C) these are all one group of cards that function as partners together. As for the original color identity (ILL ADD THIS UP TOP) the all must be able to be played as the commander or in the commander deck. (ie. if you make a UBR deck identity then these cards must be partnered in a way that meet this identity.)

As for the Partner or Partner with, that is your call for functionally you have that freedom as well.

I will place these in the FAQ section in the original post. Thanks MemoryHead

• edited August 2020
    I have the same questions as @MemoryHead ;
    [edit: and if I had just refreshed my screen, I would have had my question answered, LOL! Thanks, @Grimaldus !]
  • Should we just submit new cards, or can we do old cards?
  • @SpellPiper2213

Prefer cards that you haven't submitted to a contest yet.
  • I'm working on my entries...be on it soon! 
  • Loving them so far guys keep it up.
  • Here's mine:

There is only a slight difference between them. Even so, you can't benefit from both abilities at the same time. If you have a current combat based strategy, you want Ether on the battlefield. If you start to get noncombat based creatures on the battlefield, Eldil is the way to go.
  • @fire12 ;
    Love the simple be fun theme

@LordTachanka123
    The art for these are wonderful and WBRG color combo is interesting. 

@SNAPcreator7
    I love the pirate theme here. Is the first mate a human that turns into a dragon?

@SpellPiper2213
    The old man wisdom theme is elegant and peaceful. 
  • OK GUYS,

since this is the official start date of the contest i want to release the grading status for some clarity for you on making your card.

Check the grading section in the original post.
  • @Grimaldus It's a dragon who is the friend of the captain of the ship, they work together VERY effectively (you can imagine a dragon charging you while a pirate is trying to steal your belongings)
  • edited August 2020

Zo'kaash is a fanatic of the Sultai Brood, and he holds the Nagas in reverence, almost worshiping them. (But whether or not they appreciate him BACK, I'll let you decide).  He is a devoted follower, but wishes he weren't human. Zo'kaash has made it his mission to surround himself with Naga followers, so that he can feel important and close to them.  He was recently able to summon a Naga spirit named Dormut, who reluctantly agrees with everything Zo'kaash wants and says.  He's bound to this realm by the summoning spell Zo'kaash used, so his "yes-man" behavior is largely an act, while Dormut figures out a way to escape his captor.
  • Tarnash SkysovreignAvar Apex Apparent
    Tarnash and Avar hail from the monster plane Ikoria. When Tarnash had recently struck out on his own from his pride, he happend upon the wreckage of a caravan. After nosing around for some food, he found a toddler Avar and immediately conntected with him in an Eludha with the boy. He carefully and tenderly removed him from the wreckage, and the two left the plains of Savai in favor of the border between Ketria and Savai, where savannah melted into forests, making their home there. 

Avar was raised to be one with the wild, and rarely spoke, in fact the only form of communication he really knows is the broken Common he gets from intruding humans, and the bond between him and Tarnash. While he's young, his skill in the hunt and combat grow every day, and even at such a young has become a force Hunters whisper about the young boy who commands a beast seemingly strong enough to challenge even Snapdax himself. 

The basic gameplan in this situation is fairly straightforwards.  Tarnash is the muscle of the pair, who is used to beatdown enemies and gaining various buffs by letting Avar mount him (the tap down effect), who can then command and direct Tarnash, or supply him with buffs. 

Whenever necessary Tarnash can drop Avar in order to protect him, and dodge incoming attacks, or at the very least save Avar from dying,
  • edited August 2020
    I doubt that this pair'll need any explanation of their interaction, so please welcome to the stage:

• edited August 2020
    May I introduce: Seth and Nour! Servants of two of the gods of devastation and lifelong (or unlifelong, in Seth's case) buddies! Just because you serve apocalyptic gods of destruction, doesn't mean you can't have a blast with your best mate while doing it! I'm hoping their synergy is pretty self-explanatory: They're also supposed to have abilities reminiscent of the gods that they serve! (Incidentally, it is deliberate that Seth's tokens don't have haste. Without Nour, it's Footsteps of the Goryo or Seance style reanimation).
  • Lovin it people!!! The ideas so far are very different from each other and are unique in general. I would love to play with these in a true commander deck. Keep it up I can't wait to review the winners.
  • Ok friends last chance today for a submission good luck

• OK EVERYONE !!!!! awesome cards.

This was hard to remove bias and I stuck to the rubric and will go over the grading in the video. With that here are the winners and good luck for next time to the others this was fun. I will give the rewards within the next week and the video as soon as I can for the review. Also I am going to print hard copies and make a commander deck for the 1-5 spots and give them a review of a deck tech... this will be much later though. AGAIN CONGRATS!!!

1st: @EternalWolf88

2nd: @MemoryHead

3rd: @SpellPiper2213

4th: @fire12

5th: @Undead

I loved all of these entries and it was very hard to watch the criteria dictate the winner. I'm going to refine this more for future challenges. That said don't give up and keep creating. For the winners if you have anything you want to have me say on the review message me here and I will do my best. I would love to have a why and what your were thinking for the cards and what you think would be the best combos and plays for these commanders in addition to my own thoughts. 

On behalf of Reforged Logic great job!!!
This discussion has been closed.