Make some commons!

Comments

• Alright, here we go:

Darkstreet Assasin

When Darkstreet Assasin enters the battlefield, scry 1.

Flash

1/1

What about this?
  • @SNAPcreator7 - I wasn't really suggesting changing the card, just the mana cost. If it was {b}{b}, I think it would be great.
  • Updated entry:

At Her Majestys Behest
  • @Temurzoa
    Might want to update the image to match the linked card ;)
  • Here's a fun little common:

(link embedded in card)
  • edited September 2020
    New:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/outfitted-recruit-1

Callback to Kor Outfitter (it's really hard to find non-official Kor artwork) that should work well with Zendikar Rising and it's new approach to Equipment.
  • edited September 2020
  • edited September 2020
  • edited September 2020
    Reflexive Punch
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/reflexive-punch?list=set&set=56080

Here's one of mine, using a mechanic I recently made. Please tell me what you think!
  • @jicklemania2 Here's a little bit of feedback, since you're after it:

- I'll start by talking for a single moment about a few little points on the card before I move on to the mechanic. First, numbers of damage should typically be number numbers, not word numbers. As such, "three damage" should be "3 damage" and "four damage" should be "4 damage". Second, all damage needs to come from somewhere. In the case of damaging spells like this, it tends to come from the spell. As such, the wording should be:
    Reflexive Punch deals 3 damage to any target. If Reflexive Punch's spontaneous [no need for the capital letter there] cost was paid [you've put "played" by accident instead], it deals 4 damage to any target instead.
    Third, and final, is that much as it saddens me to say it, I can't actually find the artist's name. I've found the game that it's initially from, but the game devs are apparently utter garbage at giving artist credit, and so here we are. I apologise. Regardless, please try to credit art whenever you can.

- Talking about the actual mechanic, it's like a slightly less restrained version of a real mechanic called miracle. Miracle was a mechanic with some design issues. In case you don't know, it's basically just like this except it only works if it's the first card you draw in a turn. The same issues can be applied to this, unfortunately. I don't really have time to go into it in any great detail, but for various reasons then in paper, if you were running miracle cards at a competitive event or whatever then you'd have to draw every first draw you made each turn separate to your hand, look at it to see whether it had miracle (and so you wanted to cast it), reveal and state intent if it did have miracle and want to cast it, or put it into your hand if you didn't or whatever. There were also weird psychological warfare play tactics where you'd deliberately do the weird careful draws even though you weren't running any miracles just to make your opponent scared that you were. It was just a massive pain all around.

As I said, I haven't got time for real detail, but it was one of the major problems with the mechanic. This has that same issue but bigger, since the nature of it means you've got to check every single draw you make. I suspect it also might have some potential issues with people confusing it with miracle due to their extreme similarity etc. Those problems aside, it's probably acceptable as a mechanic. It's the kind of thing where it's defined more or less entirely by how each card it's on uses it individually.

Sorry for the doomsaying. I just tend to focus on the critical side of feedback.
  • I've been a bit lax in commenting on some of these so:

@Ranshi ;@The-DM ;@shadow123, @Faiths_Guide, @TenebrisNemo, @Tomigon ;@Izzybean -  all awesome.

@jicklemania2 - The thing about spontaneous is it's so close to Miracle. I'm not sure the difference of it not having to be the first card that you drew is really enough to make it stand apart I'm afraid. Maybe there's something else that could trigger the mechanic?

I do like the idea though of 'spontaneous' or 'reflexive' as a keyword for a spell that's reacting to something but I'm just not sure what that would be!

• Dang, ninja'd by @MemoryHead

@jicklemania2 - basically what @MemoryHead said.

• @MemoryHead ;

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you're saying about the wording, my bad. I will also keep in mind what you say about the artwork. 

As for miracle, I did know about the mechanic, and actually I got the idea for this from that. I thought that it might be interesting to make cards that one could play when drawn, while keeping in mind the fact that it might be too powerful— as you say, "it's the kind of thing where it's defined more or less entirely by how each card it's on uses it individually". I didn't know about the issues with it, though, as I wasn't playing competitive magic in 2012. In my mind, I don't see why it would have been such a big problem (Just make everyone draw their first card separately, then put it into their hand, and once it's in their hand it's too late to miracle it, I imagine), but I'll take your word for it. 

@Animist ;

I'll think about how I could change the mechanic to make it more different from miracle. At some point I'll probably get premium so I can edit all of the mis-wordings and typos.

Anyway, I'll take this as a learning experience for future mechanics. Thanks to both of you.

• This set, "The Dawn" is currently under work! What do you think so far?

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/FireOfGolden/sets/54119
  • edited September 2020
    @FireOfGolden

Well, I'm not sure I understand the flavour behind the set but then again that doesn't really matter.

A few comments on the cards:

Loyal Bomber: Damage always needs to have a source, so you'd need to word this as " When ~ dies, it deals 3 damage to...". This is also a bit too impactful for a common, IMO.

Fake Stickman: Most formats allow more than one card in a deck anyway. You could say "A deck can have any number of cards named ~" like Relentless Rats. Even then, it's still just a 1/1 for 1 that has to be sacrificed like an Illusion. An army of Phantasmal Bears might be a bit much but you could increase the toughness and/or give it another ability like Persistent Petitioners.

Spiky-man: The downside of losing the flip greatly outweighs the upside of a 4/4 for four that can block an additional creature. Perhaps less of a downside for losing the flip?

Hope that's useful. 
  • @FireOfGolden - Looking through the whole set, I actually really like your drawings!
  • Hope no-one minds if I post cards here as well.

• edited September 2020
  • @Izzybean - Thanks for the cards! Here are my thoughts:

Nightburn Cavalier: IMO, this is too powerful and is doing a little too much to be a common. Here are some creatures that have a very simple ETB fight ability:

Note that they're all uncommon, and that's without getting a pump or being able to choose another creature to do the fighting. Even if your opponents have no creatures, this can still come down and pump another one of your creatures to go in for the kill. It's just doing a little too much.

If you want this to remain at common, I'd suggest removing the pump ability and having only this creature do the fighting. That brings it more in line with the cards I've linked above, and the low toughness can probably justify the downshift in rarity. If you want to keep the card as is, you will definitely have to think about a higher rarity.

Another thing to think about is which creature type is suited to which colour(s). This can always change in the context of a set (e.g. at one point I didn't think we'd have white vampires or zombies) but, looking at this in a vacuum, a skeleton doesn't seem particularly Gruul to me. In black, a skeleton would be a great choice to depict a low toughness creature but in Gruul perhaps it would be better to go for a reckless warrior with an axe that's bigger than he is. I know, it always depends on what art you can find but that's the sort of thing I would be looking for.

Finally, a couple of small wording points: a period in the fourth line after "control" so that the fight clause is its own sentence; and you can drop "another" from the penultimate line.

Caveborn Thrushwing: This is also too powerful I'm afraid. A 4/3 flyer for three mana is already an absolutely incredible card. Even if it did nothing else, it would probably be a first pick. The possibility of killing (or at least weakening) an opponent's creature coupled with the flexibility of give this haste to close out a game just pushes it way over the edge.

Pretty much every common flyer has power less than its CMC (for cards above 1 CMC anyway). So that needs to be your starting point unless the card has a significant downside.

This would be a pretty cool uncommon if it was a 3/3 and it could only put a -1/-1 counter on itself (or a creature you control) on ETB. Yes, that's just a Skynight Legionnaire but its strength would lie in the flexibility to be a 3/3 flyer without haste. Perhaps the flavour is that it's ripping itself from its cave to get at your opponent, hurting itself in the process.

If you want to stick with a higher power than toughness because it's a Rakdos card, you'll need to think of another way to balance it. An uncommon 4/3 flyer for three by itself is a Demonic Taskmaster or Illusory Demon, both of which have downsides. For example, you could cut the haste ability and just have it put a -1/-1 counter on a creature you control on ETB.

---

There are just my thoughts. I could be wrong but I hope you found it useful.

• https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tireless-extraction

Hopefully this mechanic has some potential 
  • just a few common cards from my set; https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/FireOfGolden/sets/56111
    Look familiar?
This discussion has been closed.