Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited October 2020
    @RandomFandom, shouldn't it say:

Glyph  (Whenever this creature would deal combat damage, put that many rune counters on it instead.)
  • Primordial-party (Your primordial-party consists of up to one each of Dinosaur, Dragon, Warrior, and Shaman.)
  • @joemamajoe Maybe. I have absolutely no idea. They both seem grammatically correct. Whichever one is shorter, I guess.
  • edited September 2020
    [REDACTED]
  • edited October 2020
    Venomous N [Cost] (You may cast this spell for its venomous cost. If you do, it gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, you get N poison counter(s).")  

or

Venom N [Cost] (If you cast this spell for [cost], you get N poison counters.)

Made for permanent cards only.

Example:

Wrath-Wood Behemoth

• Jealousy - Whenever a ‘card type’ enters the battlefield under an opponent’s control, [effect...]
  • Dream - When [a creature] becomes tapped, [effect]
       or
    Dream - As long as [a creature] is tapped, [effect]

The first variable is usually ‘enchanted creature’, as dream cards tend to be enchantments.
  • @RandomFandom, I thought of something similar. It was like this:

Effort - Whenever CARDNAME becomes tapped, [effect...]

It was like inspired but tapped instead of untapped.
  • edited September 2020
    Double-charge (As you cast this spell, if another spell with the same name is on the stack, exile that spell and this spell becomes double-charged.)

Like if a spell is kicked, the spell has an additional effect if it is double-charged.
  • Communicator [something], create a Radio token. (It's an artifact with ''{2}, {t}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card. Then reveal a random card from your hand'')
  • @joemamajoe Double-charge actually fits super well with the Star Trek set I’ve been making. Do you mind if I use it? And if so, may I change the name to Reinforce?
  • @RandomFandom, sure, but there is already a real MTG keyword named reinforce. 
  • Copy %cost1% - (pay %cost1% and %cost2%): this creature becomes a copy of target creature with Mana cost %cost2% until end of turn. 
  • @jaceberlin

How would one differentiate between both? Cheating can easily be used there, I think...

@joemamajoe

T R Y  M E

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/stinging-demise
  • @The-DM example: I'm targeting a creature that costs {1}{b}, my creature says copy{1}, I would pay {1} + {1}{b} 
  • @The-DM, that works too!
  • @joemamajoe

I think instead of "At the beginning of your upkeep, you get N poison counter(s)." It should just be "If you do, you get 2 poison counters" because at ten or more they lose. It would be hard to keep the level of poison counters down when you gain 2 (or more from other cards) every turn.
  • Haunteds (Your haunteds consists of up to one each of Zombie, Vampire, Werewolf, and Spirit.)
    Like party
  • Glorified party (Your glorified party consists of up to one each of Angel, Cleric, Knight, and Soldier.) 

• @SNAPcreator7, @LordTachanka123, I make cards with these mechanics on MSE. Not all on MTGCS.
  • edited September 2020
    Forge (Create a token that's a copy of target equipment you control.)

I feel like the other forge mechanics are just a little bit too complex for my liking. This is simple yet effective.
  • It is effective, but kind of broken @joemamajoe.
  • Some of my mechanics:
    Swimming (Can only be blocked by creatures with Swimming or Reach.)
    Frostwalk (Can't be blocked if defending player controls a Snow Land.)
    Firebreathing ({r}: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
    Darkness N (When this creature leaves the battlefield, put a darkness counter on target nonland permanent.)
    Attune (When this equips to a creature, it phases out until the beginning of your next upkeep.)
    Sacred to [Creature type] (Put a +1/+1 counter on each [creature type] you control.)
    Lead (Whenever you cast another creature spell, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card.)
    Illuminate (At the beginning of your end step, if you gained 5 or more life this turn, draw a card.)
    Incorporeal (This creature can not be dealt combat damage.)
    Test Run (Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may exile it with this creature. When this creature dies, you may cast a copy of each spell exiled with it.)
    Soulsteal (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it gains all abilities and colors of the creature blocking or being blocked by it.)
    Trade (At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target opponent gain control of a noncreature permanent of their choice you control. If you do, gain control of target noncreature permanent that player controls.)
    Coldbound N- (This creature gets +N/+N if you control 3 or more other snow permanents.)
    Stealth (This creature can't be blocked.)
    Initiate (When this creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control that shares a creature type with it.)
  • Some of the first ones are old, so they might be a bit unbalanced.
  • edited September 2020
    I think this is the first mechanic i've submitted, so i'll just put this here:
    "Leveling - Whenever ________ put a level counter on ~"
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cika-the-autodidact
  • Relic (token) ([It's/They're] (an) artifact(s) with "{2}, {t}, Sacrifice this artifact: Untap target artifact.")
  • Resist (This creature can’t be dealt noncombat damage.)
  • @JayfeatherMTG33 So! I wanted to talk to you about some of the mechanics you submitted because I’ve noticed they’re a bit weird.

Swimming is functionally the same as flying and horsemanship, but like horsemanship, it’s parasitic due to it not being evergreen. Frostwalk is already a thing, it’s called snow landwalk. Firebreath is also a thing, it’s not keyworded but everyone refers to it as fire breath. There is absolutely no reason for stealth to be keyworded, it shows up on a bunch of cards and only takes up one type line anyway.

Other than that, you have some cool and interesting mechanics! Just wanted to let you know so that you wouldn’t be using the wrong stuff on your cards.