Flavor for the Win!

Hey y'all, wait a minuet... Is this.... 

My first contest! 

Heck ya! Since I became active in the forums in 2019, I've always wanted to make a contest, but I just couldn't land on a theme! I was happy to eat, sleep, and take part in other people's contests! Speaking of eating...

You know what? I'm not even going to try. FLAVOR!!!

The goal of this contest will be to design a card based on a certain culture, mythology, time period, or respectful stereotype. It will be ongoing, similar to contests like @shadow123's Cards of MTGCardsmiths challenge! Go check it out: https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/5163/cards-of-mtgcardsmiths-2020/p21

PRIZES:

The prizes are measly, but existent...

At the end of each month, I will announce the top 3 cards from different smiths. Each winning creator may pick 2 additional cards, and I will favorite any of the 3 that I haven't already! Each creator will also receive a follow. 

JUDGING: 

I'll be judging this contest based on... Can you guess it? Flavor! Of course other factors will be taken into account, such as balance, formatting, and more, but the name of the contest is the game. It is recommended that you use MTG Cardsmith, but if you use other platforms they won't affect the results. ...Please. I'll do my best at judging. If you think I made a grave mistake, please tell me. It's likely I've already followed and faved your cards. Note: New mechanics are always encouraged, and their flavor and creativity will be taken into special account while judging. 

SUGGESTIONS: 

Some suggestions that might be helpful...

1. Base your cards on a mythology! Theros is an outstanding example of a greek mythology set. If you can't think of a mythology, think of a culture! Kamigawa reflects Japanese culture as an example. Is there a culture that isn't recognized but you want to bring some attention to? Note: Please use cultures respectfully. Any cards that abuse stereotypes or specific people will NOT be taken into account, and may be reported. 
2. Is there a great leader in history who did something you love? Alexander Hamilton? Abraham Lincon? Again, please be respectful. 
3. What did this person or culture do? Were they conquers? (They might be combat-heavy!) Were they peacemakers? Be creative! Do research! Are you learning about this person or culture in school or work? Let us know what you have learned! A culture that you want to add to in some way? Go for it! The options are limitless! 

LAST NOTES: 

-You may each submit ONE old card, and unlimited new cards! This is meant to give each other inspiration, while also exploring different techniques. 

-Character and plane backstories are always encouraged! I'm very exited to see what you have! 

-Cards in sets are always welcome! If you have a full set that you want to share based on the rules, post the link! Please do not post every card in your set on the main page. Cards in sets won't be considered for prizes, however. 

-The most important rule is, have fun! Drop in, drop out, whatever you feel like! This is meant as a fun, interactive contest. 

Feel free to ask me any questions below, and I'll answer by the end of each day. Adios for now! 

Comments

• so, are we supposed to make cards about real life? or just flavorful cards in general? I'm confused
  • edited September 2020
    @Usaername sorry, you're right I didn't state this clearly. 

They should be at least moderately based on a real life tradition, culture, person, entertainment item, genre, mythology, ect. Theros and Eldraine are examples; Eldraine is based on of the fairy tale genre. Really, anything in real life that a large amount of people are aware of. Many people don't know that Ixalan is about the spanish conquers in Mesoamerica. Please feel free to add your own creature types, ect. Note: I'd like to steer away from memes if possible. 

In other words, real life is the goal. 
  • Alright, good to know
  • I think you mean the Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica! (Mesopotamia is in the Middle East)
    And Kamigawa was based on Japanese culture, not Chinese!
  • @Animist

ahh you're right! I'll edit that now, this is pretty embarrassing... 
  • Hmm, i don't base my cards of things related to real life often, so this could be a lot of fun to do. Nice contest!
  • mesopotamia... 
  • edited September 2020
    @IronCrusher thanks! I'm excited to see what you guys come up with! 
  • Exhausted Bridgekeeper
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/exhausted-bridgekeeper

Based loosely on Three Billy Goats Gruff.
  • edited September 2020
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    https://www.mtgcardsmith.com/view/samuel-taylor-coleridge

Based specifically on Samuel Taylor Coleridge. (old entry)
  • Renowned Dragonslayer 

The Beowulf saga gave me inspiration for this card. Overpowering the strong to become stronger yourself, it is cheap because it's only a 1/1 unless the other player had a creature. 
    I was going to do an ancient Aussie warrior, but I couldn't find a good picture.
  • edited September 2020
    @Suicidal_Deity nice, solid representation and flavor! I really like that mechanic!

@Corwinnn thanks for stopping by! I like both that and your MLK Jr. card! 

@Obidiah cool! That might be just a little overpowered, as it's in pretty easy colors for blinking, and if you could repeat the effect it would be very good. I might be wrong though, and the flavor is very good! 

Note: Would you guys mind posting the picture as well as the link? I noticed no one has done both yet, and it would really help with judging. Thanks! 
  • Witchs Broom

I made this three days ago, based on a witch's most iconic tool in pop culture.
  • Vengeful Abaia
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vengeful-abaia

According to Melanesian mythology, the Abaia is a type of large eel that dwells at the bottom of freshwater lakes in the Fiji, Solomon, and Vanuatu Islands.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mewtwo-genetic-champion

I think we all know what Pokemon is, but for those of you who don't, I apologize, because if I start typing about it, I might not stop for a while...
  • Sorry, I can't add the link. I can never get it to work...
  • @Jedidiah super creative, I like it! For the record, this could probably be an uncommon, but it's probably fine as it is. 

@BurningWaffle cool! In the future you can just copy+paste the card and the link separately, but this is fine for now.  
  • edited September 2020
    I know I'm not competing, but I made one just for fun: 

Taizong Fearless and Foremost

Tang Taizong was a great Chinese leader from the 7th century. He was emporer of the Tang dynasty, and made many good desisitions to help his people and country, beginning China's "golden age." He was also quite rich, and was determined to expand Tang China. Since Kamigawa is Japanese, I decided this might provide some inspiration.

Thanks so much for the entries so far y'all, I'm really enjoying seeing them! 
  • @Ral1000 I really like this contest! Here is my one (not very) old entry:

Bellerophon Shining Hero

I will probably make some new ones when I have time. 
  • edited September 2020
    Alright, let's give this a shot shall we:
    Entry #1: Hennib, Mercy of Carian (Hannibal Barca of Carthage)

Decently famous tactician, i'd say. I've never made a card in this manner before, so i hope it turned out alright!

I've also got one old entry that i think fits the bill, so here's my old entry:

Based around the lucky four-leaf clover.

I hope you enjoyed either (or both) of these entries!

• Is there a ranking system for this, so we can see who's winning? So we can make new cards in hopes of achieving victory.
  • edited September 2020
    @jicklemania2 awesome, thanks! 

@IronCrusher yep, Spriteling should fit! We're aiming more at culture and religion but that just makes it. Hennib is quite cool as well! 

@Jedidiah sorry, there won't be a ranking system. You'll see it's the same in other contests; I don't want to have to tell people exactly how good their cards are in comparison with others. 
  • edited October 2020
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/watchful-nisse-1
    Watchful Nisse
    Hidden caretakers of germanic homes.
  • Oh I just have to do this. There's probably plenty of cool Indian Lore from my home I don't know of. I'm on it!
  • The Nain
    French legend that does what the flavor text tells you.
  • @LordTachanka123 awesome! 

@Jedidiah woah, slow down! J/K, there isn't really a limit. Neat designs! 
  • Dionysus Who Turns Men Mad

Continuing with the theme of Greek mythology, here is my first new entry. I intended it for EDH mostly. I know that it is quite powerful, but do you think it is too powerful? I don't know... 
  • @jicklemania2 I'm afraid to say this is probably too powerful. Keeping this kind of board control on an indestructible creature is quite overtaxing for your opponents, and the other ability is a huge upside as well. Needless to say, I like the flavor! 
  • Ah well... 

Here's my next one, based on one of my favorite musicals of all time! (Yes, I loooovvvee musicals) 

Into the Woods
This discussion has been closed.