Mechanix Challenges

Comments

• @ChoyBoi - You can repeat Mechanics, if you'll notice, it says "each of you can choose up to two custom mechanics for future challenges." What that means is, you can pick it, but we might not use it.
     B) 
  • edited October 2020
    I have no idea how one of my two cards didn't get into this week's top three, not to mention top TWELVE. Wow...
  • @joemamajoe There were 36 entries this week! You also made cards with the mechanic that had the most competition by far. If you'd like, I could give you some feedback on your two cards you submitted!
  • @shadow123, that be awesome.
  • @shadow123 that's not the part I'm concerned about. I'm pretty sure that when you're paying mana to cast spells they don't have targets yet. 
  • @Usaername It does work, I'm pretty sure. Look at Price of Fame. 

Price of Fame Zendikar Rising Commander - Gatherer - Magic The Gathering
  • Ye, that definitely works, I do believe the reminder text would be more accurate reworded to:
    Ephemeral (This spell costs {2} less to cast if it targets a permanent that entered the battlefield this turn.), following the same templating.
  • @IronCrusher That's definitely better wording. I'll update it and credit you.
  • huh, I guess it does work. IIRC, that makes someone over on the discord from a while ago wrong... and me I guess LOL
  • @joemamajoe -  I left feedback also. 
    My top cards for all Mechanix challenges always include at least one card of every mechanic, their best one in my estimation. It's not always the twelve BEST cards, because we like to see each mechanic have representation for the creators of the mechanics.
  • edited October 2020

--Mechanics of this week--

"Painborn" by @Animist

Painborn (Each 1 life you pay while casting this spell pays for {1}. It enters the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it for each 1 life paid this way.)

"Mount" by @Revan ;

Mount [cost] ([cost]: Attach this creature to another creature you control. It can't attack or block.)

"Transcend" by @ArmisJoe

Transcend ____. (To transcend a card, exile it with a transcend counter on it. As long as it remains exiled, you may cast it as though it was in your hand.)

"Ephermeral" by @Beeswax ;

Ephemeral (This spell costs {2} less to cast if its target entered the battlefield this turn.)
    Wording update by @IronCrusher
    Ephemeral (This spell costs {2} less to cast if it targets a permanent that entered the battlefield this turn.)

"Soulsound" by @joemamajoe

Soulsound N (When this creature dies, you may exile it. If you do, return a Spirit card with converted mana cost N or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.)

"Restore" by @sorinjace

Restore N. (Shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)

"Animosity" by Tomigon

Animosity (This creature is dealt damage in the form of +1/-1 counters.)

"Rebirth" by @Suicidal_Deity

Rebirth [Cost] (When this creature dies, if it was dealt combat damage this turn, you may pay its rebirth cost. If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of the next end step.)

"Hexshield" by @Pepperoni

Hexshield N (This permanent can’t be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control. Any player may pay {N} for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn.)

"Cache" by fabiocbinbutter

Cache _____. (Exile it face down. You may look at it at any time. You may draw from your cache instead of from your library.)
    RULES: To draw a card from cache, choose a card from among cached cards you own, and put it into your hand.

vv--Tomigon's version--vv
    Cache ___. (Exile it face down, then shuffle all cards you cached in a face-down pile. Cached cards gain "The player who cached this card may look at it and choose to put it on top of its owner's library any time.")

vv--@Faiths_Guide and @ningyounk's version--vv
    Cache _____. (Exile it face down and shuffle it into your cache. If you would draw a card, you may put a card from your cache into your hand instead.)
    RULES: https://i.ibb.co/NFXHJ7p/CACHE8.png

Some of these are Action Keywords! Don't mix them up with keyword abilities!

Descend mechanic requested by @Ral1000 will be in the next week's challenge!

-----------

Prizes:

Top three winning cards will get a favorite from -TROPHY- 
    1st place winner will get 1/4 circuit point 

• Feel free to discuss about these mechanics!

I feel like the mechanic that's similar to Mutate could be better idea for Mount mechanic.

__A__ mounts __B__. (Put __B__ under __A__. __A__ gains all abilities of __B__.)

Also if you are interested, you can see some discussions about the Cache mechanic here - https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/4343/face-down-circuit-challenge/p1
  • Ephemeral by Beeswax:

Change the Stakes
  • edited October 2020
    @Tomigon, a month ago I made a change to Soulsound that just added “...you may exile it...” so it’s optional.

• This is my fun little experiment trying to get as close as possible to red card draw, which is obviously a break. So this is the result with Transcend by @ArmisJoe !
  • edited October 2020
    Also I feel cache should be drawing the top card of the cache instead of choosing any one card from it.
  • edited October 2020
    Rebirth looks better when put like this:

Rebirth [Cost] (When this creature dies, if it was dealt combat damage this turn, you may pay [cost]. If you do, exile it. Return it to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of the next end step.)
  • "Painborn" by Animist

Sire of the Blood Fortress
  • edited October 2020
    Soulsound by Me!

Passing Wanderer

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/passing-wanderer

Transcend by @ArmisJoe

Reclite

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/reclite

Ephemeral by @Beeswax  

Deadly Slaughtering

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/deadly-slaughtering
  • I will edit my original comment to add additional cards I make.
  • Striped Bandit, using cache by @fabiocbinbutter

When I saw the word cache, my first thought was raccoons. And when I thought of raccoons in mtg, my first thought was "curiosity" abilities. So, cache + curiosity = Striped Bandit.
  • Circuit Points Updated
  • No! Not RACOONS!!! AHHHHH!!!!!
  • edited October 2020
    @Tomigon
    Am I allowed to kinda break the mechanic just a little in regards to restore? Like restoring specific card types. Otherwise, the mechanic seems kinda boring.
    Example: [Insert Effect], restore up to 3 artifacts.

Edit: I've done it anyway, you cannot stop me!
  • edited October 2020

Restore by @sorinjace
    EDIT: Revised
  • @Latinas
    You can totally do that. I think think that's a cool idea!
  • Using my version of Pepperoni's custom mechanic.

Original: Hexshield N (This permanent can’t be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control. Any player may pay {N} for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn.)

My version: Hexshield N (This permanent has hexproof. Any player may pay {N} for that player to ignore this permanent's hexproof until end of turn.)

Hobbits Companion

The reminder text is still different in this card because it gives the protection to other creatures. I don't know if it's the best possible wording, so any feedback would be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.