Stitia - Chapter Two: Eternal Night (Now Closed For New Characters Except to Returning Players)

Comments

• @Tommia

Awesome! Time for me to get into the character....

*subtle Deer noises and energetic crackling*
  • Etanki

@SarkhanVig

Stat block:

STR: 13     INT:14
    DEX: 12     WIS: 12
    CON: 8+2*      CHA: 15

Whereabouts: In the Sknotch Mountain Range, seeking refuge.

Healing Method - Leyline Predator

In order to heal, you must rest at leylines located around the plane. This is very risky, as many monuments and other significant structures are frequently built on leylines.

Character Bonus - Icy Inheritance

Your constitution score increases by two. Additionally, you are immune to the effects of the Stitian Winter, and have a faithful companion that will obey your every command and never betray you.

Inventory:
    • Everstar of Izneg
    • Greatsword
  • Vryx Obin

@B21

Stat block:

STR: 15     INT:10
    DEX: 13+1*    WIS: 8
    CON: 14      CHA:12

Whereabouts: Currently attempting to save his allies, who are trapped in Slavport

Healing Method - First Aid

You must seek professional medical attention in order to heal, which will deprive you of valuable time if you aren't careful.

Character Bonus = *Reforged By Hell

Your werebird form is a tool in combat, but it also aids in travel. Not only can you fly to get around faster, but you also gain an additional point to your Dexterity score. However, you gain a weakness to silver.

Additionally, your demonic gift gives you resistance to fire damage, and immunity to the effects of hot environements.

Inventory:

• Sword
    • Thylinder
    • SIlver Knife
  • I think that's everyone! Time to start concocting everyone's first challenge...
  • Sounds like fun.
  • edited November 2020
    @Tommia Ok what is happening? Can I also choose something still? Is there anything to choose to?

Should we write short stories or....?
  • edited November 2020
    @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos That was mainly just letting people know their options.
  • The Preliminary Challenge...

18 contestants... hmm... seems a bit much, wouldn't you say? It doesn't divide well, makes for a cramped thread and too much going on at once. As stated before, there will be elimination challenges, but with so many participants, we're going to settle this in true Saga fashion... a preliminary bout of eliminations. While players won't eliminated until challenge two, a couple unfortunate souls will be stolen before their adventure can truly begin...

@ChoyBoi (Akira), @IronCrusher (Pherasa), @KorandAngels (Aerus), @IzItTru (Warren), @SpellPiper2213 (Krakua), @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos (Ivan), @fire12 (Eclipsa), @CassZero (Patinix), @FourEyesIsAFish (Cythylla), @spookoops (Carisle), @HeroKP (Vemmby), @MonkeyPirate2002 (Florence), @SarkhanVig (Etanki)

For the preliminary challenge, this is both an immersion exercise and a challenge. Imagine the types of situations you character would get into, the trouble they'd stir up. What kind of monsters would they encounter? How would they deal with them? All combatants must show they're not only capable of dealing with threats, but must also show they're capable of dealing with them in a diverse set of ways.

Challenge: Create three cards which suit the following criteria:

Card 1: A creature of any color identity (it doesn't have to fit in your character's) that represents a foe you frequently expect to encounter.

Card 2: A permanent card that can deal with Card 1 in an actual game of Magic.

Card 3: An instant or sorcery card that can deal with Card 1 in an actual game of Magic.

You will be scored based on the following criteria, but with the new voting system this chapter, rather than picking a score in a category for a card, we start at 10 points on a card, plus any applicable bonuses, then start subtracting... here's how your cards will be judged.
    • Does the card feel realistic?
    • Does the card follow established MTG grammar and syntax?
    • Is the card balanced?
    • Does the card have the proper rarity?
    • Does the card work?
    • Do the card and flavor blend together well enough? (Flavor text not required; a lot can be implied based on name, colors, art, and effect)
    • Does the card feel do enough?
    • Does the card avoid trying to do too much?
    • Does the card fit in its colors?
    • Is the card original to this contest?
    • If an exception isn't provided, does the card fit in the character's color identity? (If your identity is 0-2 colors, you can add colors to your identity at any time until it's 3.)
    If the answer is not, beyond the shadow of a doubt, a yes or N/A for all of these, the card will be thoroughly inspected, and if any significant problems are found, the card will receive penalties. The penalties that may be inflicted are shown below with a few examples of why one might receive it:
    • -0.5: Minor grammar/syntax problem, minor flavor problem, minor rarity problem.
    • -1: A few minor grammar/syntax problems, minor flavor conflict, minor color pie break, minor balance problem
    • -2: Moderate problem, such as major grammar/syntax problems, major rarity problems, major flavor problem, moderate balance problem, moderate pie break
    • -5: Card isn't new to the contest, card doesn't function, card doesn't fufill a challenge's mandatory criteria (ex. Color identity restrictions), card is unplayably broken.
    These are some examples; infractions will always be adjusted according to severity, and infractions of different values may be issued as deemed necessary. Anyways... good luck! The deadline is Friday the 20th; you won't be penalized if you're late, but note that you'll have to catch up if you are late.

The following characters skip the preliminary challenge, first challenge, and second challenge, and will be spoken to separately to resolve their current challenges: Enerew, Verth, Alfred, Vin, Vryx.
  • edited November 2020
    Does "that can deal with Card 1" mean that the second two cards specifically target the creature, the creature type, or act as more of a general thing (e.g. exile target permanent/creature)?

• (I actually made this before I noticed card 1 had to be a permanent.)

• @SpellPiper2213 Just something that could eliminate the threat posed by Card 1. For example, (don't be this simple please) Murder can deal with a 2/2 Bear, as could a 3/3 Elk.
  • @Tommia Great. Thanks for answering.
  • edited November 2020
    When you're a prominent figure with clout, people tend to notice. Unfortunately, some of those people are of ill repute. Whether it be from a bad deal, jealousy or whatever, Carisle gets an occasional attempt on his life. Which says a lot about his nemeses, since he is not an easy man to find nor figure out.

Due to these attempts, Carisle has had to take, and make precautions. Learning a simple cantrip from a time long past, he is able to thwart even the keenest of assassination attempts, if only just briefly.

Carisle may not go anywhere without his Daywalker. But, his sword, entrusted onto him centuries ago from an ancient clan relative, is his most prized possession. The Silver Crane were a clan of noble samurai with ability to erase ones memories. This sword possesses that cryptic magic in its blade.

• edited November 2020
    Voso Archfiend of Etu
    Karnassus Roc
    Skyknights Response
  • edited November 2020
    @Tommia

Challenge: Create three cards which suit the (following) criteria:
    Card 1: A creature of any color identity (it doesn't have to fit in your character's) that represents a foe you frequently expect to encounter.
    Card 2: A permanent card that can deal with Card 1 in an actual game of Magic.
    Card 3: An instant or sorcery card that can deal with Card 1 in an actual game of Magic.

You don't need a back story for the challenge, correct? Is the flavor enough?
  • Cthylla has many enemies, especially those following the Six. One of these enemies is Obscura, one of Khantsievth's heralds.

But let's shift our focus from the world of Stitia to the tabletop. So you're playing a game of Stitia commander with a friend when they bring out Obscura, their commander. If you let Obscura free, he'll wreak absolute havoc, so you need to act fast. What tricks may a Cthylla deck may have up its sleeve to deal with such a situation?

Eldritch Hund is a nice 5 mana creature for this deck, being a 4/4 capable of removal on entry. Due to having 4 power, the Hund is able to take down Obscura with its ETB effect even with Obscura's self buffing.

For a more immediate option, Moth Drawn To A Flame is an instant playing into the +1/+1 counter theme of Cthylla. If you have Cthylla out and transformed (as Soul of R'lyeh), you can use this to counter Obscura and put counters on Soul to increase the frost armor effect on it.
  • Etsane has been wrought with more turmoil than ever. Both the city and its seedy underbelly are filled with tales of the end of the world, some more true than others. Yet no matter the story, every spark of resistance it creates is quickly snuffed out by a higher power, that which does business with the Church of the Six itself—The Massacre Broker.

No one truly knows who the Massacre Broker is, or what his motives are in this grand scheme, but one thing is certain: As long as the Massacre Broker remains uncontested, Etsane will eventually fall to the will of the Six.

Having heard of the Massacre Broker from hushed whispers in the alleyway, Florence has taken it upon himself to put an end to his reign of tyranny. With his charming personality, he made an ally from a former agent of the Broker, and together they plan an assault on the Broker's home, intending to end his life and steal all of his wealth, so that they can rekindle the many doused flames of dissent.

• edited November 2020
    Queue:
    • Verth (EpicBoss)
    • Alfred (AbuJafar)
    • Vin (Aggro)
    • Vryx (B21)
  • edited November 2020

Previously...

@EpicBoss99

https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/comment/186832/#Comment_186832

After reassuring the safety of his allies and vowing his allegiance to the Rootforged, Verth planned to investigate the sudden resurgence of werebeasts and their sudden alliance with the Rootforged, when he was interrupted for an important meeting with the High Dawnelf, Brocara. After it was revealed that Verth was being arrested, he surrendered, and was imprisoned for the deaths of werewolf hunters Joseph and Nelson, among others. On that night, he was confronted by Timothy, who taunted him and attempted to frame him for even more murders. Tired of being used and manipulated, Verth decided there was only one thing left to do...

"Well... I'm waiting," Timothy says, impatiently tapping his foot on the dead body beneath him, "and I'm very clearly not falling."

Timothy may not had been falling, but apparently his intelligence had been. Those chains had kept you bound, but now that you're free, you have your chance... a chance to escape. A chance to give up while you're still ahead. You can planeswalk now...

Clearly, all your speech was to Timothy was a comedy act, a boost to his ego, so to Hell with words. It was time to act. Even if acting meant "running away" it was the smartest thing to do. You have nothing to prove by trying to face him alone; he's clearly more powerful than he was the last time. You call upon your planeswalker magic once more, body cast aflame.

"There we are... finally going to do something else? Show me, Oddball! Show me! Sit! Do a backflip!"

So obnoxious... but what you're about to do should be obnoxious for Timothy. You'll plow right into him as a farewell, then make your way back to New Tommia, with the hope that you can garner something to help in the fight against this menace...

18 1/2 Liberty Parkway... 18 1/2 Liberty Parkway... where is it, and how do you get there? Those are the questions that fill your mind as you travel to the plane. You don't have much memory of what's what, especially since everything went by like a blur. You're also distracted as you try to keep an eye out for Timothy, just in case he tries to tail you. Therefore, you aren't sure on the accuracy of your flight. You're pretty sure this is the right city, just a different segment.

You look for hours, asking people where to find Liberty Parkway. No one seems to know what you're talking about, and you're getting hungry, so you decide to settle down and grab a bite to eat at a local café. Its arrangement confuses you, as does the concept of their being such a tremendous line at a place like this. Your eyes are directed to the relatively giant menu, and you notice this is a coffee place, and they have... baked goods and coffee, no real food. And... you have no form of currency they'll accept. You're getting a huge case of culture shock; apparently they only accept... electronic currency? How do you store currency in a wire?

Your search continues, and you find an area that was quite similar to the one Taylor's house was in. You investigate, and start asking around more. However, it's when you get into an alley that you end up being the one asked questions...

"Alright, buddy... I'm only gonna ask this one time... are you gonna drop the bag, or do we have to take it off you after we knock you out?"
    You turn, and find that there's a group of thugs behind you, which have taken a liking to your gear. The leader hits his hand with a bat, and the group approaches to start swinging.

Fight or flight? Either way, make a card that can deal with a copy of Backstreet Thugs in an actual game of MTG. The target is 8. We have a new scoring system this chapter, so let's give it a good once over together, shall we?

You will be scored based on the following criteria, but with the new voting system this chapter, rather than picking a score in a category for a card, we start at 10 points on a card, plus any applicable bonuses, then start subtracting... here's how your cards will be judged.
    • Does the card feel realistic?
    • Does the card follow established MTG grammar and syntax?
    • Is the card balanced?
    • Does the card have the proper rarity?
    • Does the card work?
    • Do the card and flavor blend together well enough? (Flavor text not required; a lot can be implied based on name, colors, art, and effect)
    • Does the card feel do enough?
    • Does the card avoid trying to do too much?
    • Does the card fit in its colors?
    • Is the card original to this contest?
    • If an exception isn't provided, does the card fit in the character's color identity? (One of your traits lets you submit a black or blue card. See your character details for, well, details!)
    If the answer is not, beyond the shadow of a doubt, a yes or N/A for all of these, the card will be thoroughly inspected, and if any significant problems are found, the card will receive penalties. The penalties that may be inflicted are shown below with a few examples of why one might receive it:
    • -0.5: Minor grammar/syntax problem, minor flavor problem, minor rarity problem.
    • -1: A few minor grammar/syntax problems, minor flavor conflict, minor color pie break, minor balance problem
    • -2: Moderate problem, such as major grammar/syntax problems, major rarity problems, major flavor problem, moderate balance problem, moderate pie break
    • -5: Card isn't new to the contest, card doesn't function, card doesn't fulfill a challenge's mandatory criteria (ex. Color identity restrictions), card is unplayably broken.
    These are some examples; infractions will always be adjusted according to severity, and infractions of different values may be issued as deemed necessary. Anyways... good luck!
  • Ooh, nice!
  • Tommia is really, really good at set symbols.
  • Very nice symbol. It reminds me a little of Kamigawa.
  • Noice symbols
  • Throughout his journeys Warren would be hunted by spirits of the dead chasing after him with relentless assaults.

Luckily using his spirit form he is able to divert their attacks and protect himself.

He would also be able to eventually channel the lanterns ability to put these spirits to rest.

• @Tommia Can I change my character's color combination? Temur did not match the idea I wanted to make. I wanted to change her to Bant. (Patinix)
  • @CassZero Go ahead. I'll ask that you resubmit Patinix in Bant Colors and double check your preliminary challenge cards to make sure they're correct.
  • @Tommia

First, the enemy.

Next: Permanent card that can beat the enemy.

Finally: The non permanent that can beat the enemy.

First of all, yes, I know that Wretched Removal should have blue, but Eclipsa shouldn't. Second of all, I tried to do a light and a dark card, but I couldn't find any good artwork, so Eclipsa's feeling evil today.
  • Alrighty, here we go:

A possible enemy:

An instant to deal with this enemy:

And a permanent that can deal with the enemy:

I feel like I don't have too strong of a grasp on the world yet, so I spend a bit more time on these, so I hope these work!

Regardless, hope you enjoy em!

This discussion has been closed.