Mechanix Challenges

Comments

• I thought face-down cards didn't have the abilities of the face up cards?
  • @AboveAndAbout ;
    Yes, they are basically 2/2 vanilla, but if their face-up side have morph or any other ways to turn them face up, they can.
  • Entry No. 1: Reactive by @bnew07

This card brings together divination and thrill of possibility, but the rarity is raised to uncommon due to its flexibility. I hope you like it!
  • edited January 2021
    Here's an entry for path:

Confused Explorer
  • @FORFUN
    "Path" mechanic is an ability word, like landfall. So you italicized the wrong parts.
    Thanks for your entry!
  • Some cards with mechanics for your viewing pleasure!

Entry 1: Path by @ArmisJoe

Entry 2: Crystallize by @Teacup

Entry 3: Extract by me (hooray!)

Entry 4: Reactive by @bnew07

Entry 5: Enslave by @Superman101

• Powercast by AustinSmith:

Wildfireclasm

This card is based on Sonata Arctica's song named Wildfire.
  • Occupation by OneBigBlueSky:

Borderland Paradise
  • Crystallize by @Teacup

At Her Majestys Behest
  • Great works everyone!

I'm a little tired today so I'm going to judge this tomorrow. You have 12 more hours to enter.
  • Alright, as we've been given a bit more time, I decided to whip up another entry, this time using Reactive by @bnew07!

Animating Gargoyle
  • It's time to announce the winners!

1st Place
    Raellis of the Soul Orchards by @Temurzoa
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/raellis-of-the-soul-orchards
    This looks fun to play!

Two cards are tied for 2nd Place
    Wildfireclasm by @TenebrisNemo
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wildfireclasm
    And
    Unexpected Insight by @shadow123
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/unexpected-insight
    Both cards are balanced and realistic!

3rd Place
    Animating Gargoyle by @Aggroman15
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/animating-gargoyle
    Colorless removal is amazing in limited! But I think both mana cost and reactive cost should cost {1} more. 

Honorable mentions
    Cosmic Spore-Sower by @CnBCustoms
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cosmic-spore-sower

Confused Explorer by @FORFUN
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/confused-explorer

------------------------------------

Winners and mentionables, each of you can choose up to two custom mechanics for future challenges. Pick any mechanics you can find in Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL or Tome of TheMechanix, or you can make new mechanics! Comment on this thread or send me a PM. If you don't want to choose, that's also ok!

• Circuit Points Awarded!
  • This is a fun challenge! I would like to propose the following mechanics:

Fear of 'subtype' by @jpastor (Whenever a 'subtype' enters the battlefield, return this creature to its owner's hand.)

-and-

Noble by @Norzael (At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a creature without noble, you get {e}.)
  • Here are my choices:

Turf — If only mana produced by basic lands was spent to cast this spell, ...
    True Mastery {cost}: If you control a full party, you may cast this for its true mastery cost.

The first one is by @RandomFandom and the second is by @AboveAndAbout.

• edited January 2021
    My choices are:

By @ChoyBoi: Bond (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may bond it to an unbonded Equipment you control. If you do, attach that equipment to it.)

By me: Retaliate  - Whenever [creature name] is dealt damage by another creature, [effect]

Edit: At first glance, Retaliate may seem very similar to Enrage, but retaliate effects would usually have something to do with the creature that dealt the damage, and you could have an effect that happens whenever something retaliates against another creature (meaning when the retaliate effect activates).
  • My choices are:

Etherealize (If this creature would die, put an ethereal counter on it instead. As long as this permanent has an ethereal counter on it, it isn't a creature.)

Caretaker (You may pair this creature with another unpaired artifact when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)

Both mechanics are by me!

Here are some card examples:

At Her Majestys Behest At Her Majestys Behest
  • Mine:

Moonlit-Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature with lesser power, [effect].
  • edited January 2021
    @TheDukeOfPork The idea is that you propose new mechanics in the event of being a winner / honorable mention for the last round, which I don't believe you were one of. It's a sort of further victor's prize / chance to influence what people might be working with.
  • Oh...

Also, when does the new challenge start?
  • @TheDukeOfPork New mechanix challenges don't really start at specific times. I believe it's partially based around convenience for the mods and when they've got the time and inclination to organise them etc.
  • @MemoryHead ,Ok. 

Also, could I please have those set symbols?
  • edited January 2021
    -retracted-
  • That is not true. I have written it in two. 
  • --Mechanics of this week--

Fear of 'subtype' by @jpastor 
    Fear of 'subtype' (Whenever a 'subtype' enters the battlefield, return this creature to its owner's hand.)

Noble by @Norzael 
    Noble (At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a creature without noble, you get {e}.)

Turf by @RandomFandom
    Turf — If only mana produced by basic lands was spent to cast this spell, ...

True Mastery by @AboveAndAbout
    True Mastery [cost] (If you control a full party, you may cast this for its true mastery cost.)

Bond by @ChoyBoi
    Bond (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may bond it to an unbonded Equipment you control. If you do, attach that equipment to it.)

Retaliate  by @Aggroman15
    Retaliate  - Whenever [creature name] is dealt damage by another creature, (effect...)

Etherealize by @Temurzoa
    Etherealize (If this creature would die, put an ethereal counter on it instead. As long as this permanent has an ethereal counter on it, it isn't a creature.)

Caretaker by @Temurzoa
    Caretaker (You may pair this creature with another unpaired artifact when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)

Hunt by Tomigon
    Hunt (If this creature is unblocked, you may have it assign its combat damage to a creature defending player controls.)

Insular by @KalamMekhar ;
    Insular - If you spent only ____ mana to cast this spell, (effect..)
    Insular - When this permanent enters the battlefield, if you spent only ____ mana to cast it, (effect..)
    NOTE: Insert the spell's color in _____. (effect...) gives the card different or additional characteristics that makes the card more powerful.

-----------

Prizes:

Top three winning cards will get a favorite from -TROPHY- 
    1st place winner will get 1/4 circuit point

• edited January 2021
    By mixing Etherealize by @Temurzoa and Invoke by @shadow123 , I present Spectral Wanderer. 

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spectral-wanderer-1

Note: I added a little onto the reminder text on Invoke since this starts as a creature.
  • edited January 2021

Entry 1 - Caretaker by @Temurzoa
    Noticed in the description it says "'another' unpaired artifact," implying that the caretaker should also be an artifact, but seems like this should work for any supertype of creature.
This discussion has been closed.