Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited February 2021
    mechanic for creatures
    Last Resort {cost} - {effect} (when this creature dies, you may pay {cost}. If you do, {effect}.)

• @ChoyBoi, that mechanic (starfall) has been made before. Recently most people have been making the same mechanics as other people have before. If any of you want to know if a mechanic has already been made, just dm me.
  • edited February 2021
    Here are the mechanics from my January mechanics challenge:

https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/5542/january-mechanics-challenge#latest

Tenacity(Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, effect.)

Protector (When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. Whenever a spell or ability targets a creature of the chosen type, you may have CARDNAME become the target instead.)

Corrosive(Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature that player controls.)

Thunderbound [Cost] (When you cast this spell, you may pay its thunderbound cost.  If you do, copy it for each creature that dealt combat damage to another player this turn.)

Transcend [Cost] ([Cost]: You may attach an aura on a creature you control to another creature you control.)

Manipulation [Cost] ([Cost]: Put a control counter on CARDNAME. You may remove X control counters from CARDNAME. If you do, you gain control of target creature with toughness X or less.  Activate this ability only as a sorcery.)

Mana Drain [Cost] ([Cost]: Empty target opponent's mana pool.)

Tithe-Taker (When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, until end of turn, you may cast your commander without paying commander tax.)

Revelation (When you cast this spell, look at the top of each player’s library. Until end of turn, you may exchange the top card of target player’s library with the top card of another player’s library.)

Oblivion [Cost] ([Cost]: Counter target spell.  If it would be put in a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.)

Scatter [Cost] ([Cost]: You may sacrifice a creature. If you do, create X 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens, where X is the converted mana cost of the sacrificed creature.)

Judgement - [Cost]: [Effect] (Activate this ability only if a creature with power greater than its toughness entered the battlefield this turn.)

Miniscule (This permanent cannot be the target of spells with converted mana cost 4 or greater.)

Petrify(At the beginning of your upkeep, put a stone counter on target creature. Then, if a creature has three or more stone counters on it, destroy it and put a 1/1 colorless Statue artifact creature token with defender onto the battlefield under the destroyed creature's owner's control.)

Etherium Blast [Cost]([Cost]: Destroy all artifact creatures.  You lose life equal to half of the number of creatures that were destroyed in this way, rounded down.)

Balance (At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent has more cards in their hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference.)

Balance (At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent has more permanents on the battlefield than you, destroy a number of creatures equal to the difference.)

Artifice [Cost] ([Cost]: Target creature becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
  • Alpha - As long as this creature has the greatest power among creatures you control, {effect}.

Big creature boost.

• feel like I may as well drop some of my mechanics here
    Blossom (To blossom, create a green Flower artifact creature token with "2: This artifact's controller sacrifices it and creates two Gold tokens. Draw a card. Only your opponents may activate this ability.")

Metalshape -Cost- (-Cost-, Sacrifice this artifact: search your library for an artifact permanent card with converted mana cost equal to one less than this artifact's converted mana cost and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.)

Enlightened - If you've drawn two or more cards this turn, -Effect-

Reckless (Whenever this creature attacks, you may have it get +N/-N until end of turn.)

Walking (This creature can't block creatures with flying unless it has flying or reach.)

Normal strike (This creature deals regular combat damage.)

Average speed (This creature is affected by summoning sickness.)

Sextuple strike (This creature deals firstest strike, first strike, regular, regular again, last strike, and lastest strike combat damage.)

Riposte - Whenever a creature deals nonlethal damage to -Cardname-, -Effect-

Sacrosanct (This permanent can't be sacrificed.)

Hexporous (Spells your opponents cast that target this permanent cost {1} less to cast.)

Biomancy -Cost- (-Cost-, Discard this card: For each creature type it has, put a counter of that type on up to one target creature.)

• [basic land type]born N (As an additional cost to cast this spell, return N [basic land type]s you control to their owner's hand.)

Example:
    Islandborn 3 (As an additional cost to cast this spell, return 3 Islands you control to their owner's hand.)
  • @Usaername Correct me if I’m wrong but... aren’t walking, average speed and normal strike just the normal attributes of a creature? Or is it a joke? I don’t understand.
  • @RandomFandom, I think you can use it for a creature with first strike to make it have double strike.
  • @FORFUN Yes, I suppose you could do that with normal strike, but the others seem completely worthless.
  • With Average Speed, haste won't affect the creature.
  • Theoretical (Before a permanent with theoretical can become the target of a spell or ability, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, the permanent phases out. Otherwise, it's affected normally.)

NOTE: If the permanent phases out, it isn't affected by the spell/ability.
  • "Mount" has been tried many times before, so this is my take on it:

Mount {2}{r}{t}: (Attach this creature to another
    creature you control. It does not untap during your
    untap phase. It becomes detached if untapped.
    Mount only as a sorcery.)

Oracles Rules:
    A Mount remains a creature on the battlefield.

An attached creature cannot itself attack or block.

It may be targeted separately and all things - so it can be shot out from under someone.
    It is affected by spells that affect all creatures affect it normally.  So a spell that gives a creatures -2/-2 or does 2 damage to all creatures will destroy it.  

If the creature it is attached to is destroyed or leaves the battlefield, the mount remains as a tapped creature.

If untapped by a spell or effect, it detaches.

Note that Mount foes not includes no a dismount clause inside itself.  I did not want this with in the Mount mechanic itself.   The standard dismount clause is:

{0}: Untap Lightning Steed. Use this only if it is
    attached to an untapped creature.

This means you cannot normally attack mounted and then separate to have the horse block later - you can't get off a running horse.   But if you are mounted and untapped you can jump off the horse, then each block something different.  

But a mount barely under your control, like a hungry tiger or feisty dragon, isn't going to have that clause because you can't get off it safely.

Together, these are intended to create a much more "riding a horse" feel where the horse is an actual thing.   Rather than say, something with Bestow.  As well as making the pair easier to deal with 

As an example for how it works, here is the First Creature with:  

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lightning-steed

• Oh yeah and then there's the obvious one

Apex — If you control the creature with the greatest toughness or tied for greatest toughness, ...

OR

Apex — As long as you control the creature with the greatest toughness or tied for greatest toughness, ...

OR

Apex — ... Activate this ability only if you control the creature with the greatest toughness or tied for greatest toughness.

Viable in green and white, but mostly green.
  • Double prowess (Which is basically a +2/+2) version of prowess
  • edited March 2021

“Luck” has never been given anything like a decent treatment in MTG, often depending on you actually having real luck rather than one that represents you being Lucky.    

As of about a month ago, I think I’ve got that fixed.  I’ve developed a subtle, versatile, and somewhat controllable mechanic for both Good and Back Luck.

I released Luck yesterday on my, so here it goes:

Luck of the Irish - St Patrick’s Day Contest.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/luck-token

I found the UN-Card "More or Less" after I made it.   It's effect differs in that:
    - you can only make yourself or a teammate lucky.
    - it targets a card  anywhere.  So it can increase or decrease a casting cost by one.  This allow it to be cast for less. 
    - targeting anywhere also lets you do something like alter the casting cost of an artifact in your library from 2 or 4 to three, then use Trophy mage to fish it out.  Lucky you, just the card you needed!

Luck has no inherent color.  I will be making more Luck Tokens, one for each color and colorless.  

I made a few basic cards that can make one or more Luck Tokens as demonstrations.
    As well as one last card that adds a twist by requiring a Luck Token to pay a cost.  You can only get away with using the card that way if you are lucky!

Rather than take up space posting them here, links:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sighting-the-white-stag
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mead-of-good-fortune?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/shine-of-an-elderwood
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/eder-priests-blessing
      (Yes, the Throne priest is speaking of his Thrane in the flavor text.  It is not a typo.
      The Thrane does sit on the Throne so that's how he gets involved.).
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/scuttlerock-peninsula

I kept things pretty vanilla - commons and uncommons - as these are just a demonstration of the concept and right now I just I want to give you the seed for ideas of your own.
  • Hot - All cards with Melt will die instantly too this.
    Melt - Destroys cards without Melt or Hot instantly.
    Cannibal - Whenever this kills a creature with the same type, it gets an effect.
    Escapism  X - Pay X when this is blocked to make it so it deals damage before the blockers and it gets +X + X.
  • I don't know if this is already used by another Cardsmith, so sorry if you've already used these words for your abilities.

Wax - At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform CARDNAME.

Wane - At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform CARDNAME.

Used for werewolves (You know, since the moon and stuff.) Do you think that it would be good for this to have an ability name or should it stay the same?
  • edited April 2021
    Dive (To dive, put the bottom card of your library into your graveyard)
  • This nifty card by Suicidal_Deity gave me an idea about the not having Tribal thing: image I hate they removed tribal. But it just occurred to me you can cheat around and get a functional tribal thing by just giving it something like" "Menagerie Orb has Changeling in all zones." Actually that phrase works to make any card a functional tribal by slipping in say, "is a Goblin" for a Goblin Tribal substitute.
  • Was making this card and realized I needed a new counter type.

Oblivion token - basically puts a nail through anything in exile to keep it there.  Kaya out-Orzhoving Orzhov again.

Now, I ain't afraid of no ghost.

Tip of the had to AWOL.
  • Recon [Cost] ([Cost]: Reveal the top card of your library. This creature gets +X/+X, where X is that card's mana value. You may put the card on the bottom of your library.)
  • edited April 2021
    Mechanical (At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 0/1 artifact creature token that has all this creature's creature types and activated abilities.)
  • I have an ability that I came up with a couple of months ago called "Reaper." I created it to fit a more scarecrow-tribal theme, but it can go on any creature. Basically, it's an ability you activate similar to Boast that either buffs the creature and/or has some other benefit.
    Reaper(You may activate this card's
    reaper ability if your life total is less than your starting
    life total. It must be blocked this turn if able.)
    Here's an example:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vroth-terror-of-the-harvest?list=set&set=59299
  • edited April 2021
    Apologies if someone also has abilities with the same name or a similar ability!! 
    Foreshadow (Reveal the top card of your library, you may put it at the bottom)

Blood Steal ( Whenever this creature attacks, if it's blocked, you gain life equal to the blocking creatures defense).

Shapeshift (If you control a certain amount of a creature type or permanent type, the creature with this ability becomes something else completely different)

Plunder (create a treasure token)

Navigate (Look at the top card of your library, if it has converted mana cost x, put it in play).

Charge! ( X creature type gets trample).
    Examples, those are important, and I forgot them the first time around

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/crafty-mage?list=user
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vampire-gorger
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/demon-of-hollow?list=set&set=60269
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/swnadering-buckaroo?list=set&set=60226
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/charging-newbie?list=set&set=60226
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/charging-t-rex?list=set&set=60226

• Fungal (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token. If you don't, put a basic Forest into your hand from your library, then shuffle.)
  • @joemamajoe ; I would reword the second part of that as, "you may search your library for a basic forest and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.  If you choose neither, gain 1 life."
  • @TheGamingBolasChannel, look at partner with for an example of the searching part.

That would be much too complex for an keyword ability. I wanted a simple Fabricate-like ability.

Also, Forest should be capitalized, and there has been a oracle update recently, starting with Strixhaven, that changed "then shuffle your library" to just "then shuffle".
  • didn't know about the oracle update.  I was just trying to make it feel more fungal like, with the life gain part as well as being able to look for a land and put it into your hand

• Silence [Cost] (As you cast this spell, any opponent may pay [cost]. If a player does, you can't cast other spells until your next turn.)
  • De-escalate -- At the beginning of [phase], if an opponent's creature has [#] or more counters on it, [effect directly related to or by that specific creature].  

(Sorry if this has already been suggested.)