1st Annual Mystery Box Invitational Tournament

edited July 2021 in Off-topic Chat

18 cardsmiths maximum will square off in this tournament

When: July 19 - 23

Format
  • 1-vs-1 Round Robin
  • All mystery challenges will be given the first day of the tournament
  • All round robin entries due by the end of Wednesday.
  • Playoffs will be Thursday/Friday.
Prizes... YES!

Entry and Participation
  • The following 18 cardsmiths have already earned an invitational qualification and get first dibs. If you are among the 18 who pre-qualify, please confirm you're IN so you don't forfeit your spot.
  • Anyone that is not on this list can waitlist themself by posting you'd like to participate.
  1. @Corwinnn (IN)
  2. @Jadefire (IN)
  3. @bnew07 (IN/OUT)?
  4. @TenebrisNemo (IN/OUT)?
  5. @ShadowReign (IN)
  6. @Potato13 (IN/OUT)?
  7. @LyndonF (IN/OUT)?
  8. @shadow123 (IN/OUT)?
  9. @Abu_Jafar (IN)
  10. @Dizzydude (IN/OUT)?
  11. @Faiths_Guide (IN/OUT)?
  12. @SNAPcreator7 (IN/OUT)?
  13. @Aggroman15 (IN)
  14. @MemoryHead (IN/OUT)?
  15. @East2West (IN/OUT)?
  16. @ArmisJoe (IN/OUT)?
  17. @DomriKade (IN/OUT)?
  18. @Usaername (IN)
The above names are all cardsmiths with an "X" next to their name on the Mystery Box Leaderboards. The X is the invitational qualification that's earnable through prior circuit challenge completion, prize, or other method of earning.

Comments

• I'd like to be waitlisted.
  • I'd also like to be waitlisted. This sounds fun!
  • edited July 2021

Welcome aboard! Let's get straight to business! I hope you have fun! Please review the important information below regarding format, rules, and deadlines! Let the tournament commence in 3...2...1...

Divisions

Cardsmiths have been separated into two divisions of 4 cardsmiths each based on Mystery Box rank!

Life Alert Division

1. @AboveAndAbout
    2. @Corwinnn
    3. @CS101
    4. @Aggroman15
    Zoobooks: Special TV Offer! Division
    1. @Jadefire
    2. @ShadowReign
    3. @Abu_Jafar
    4. @Usaername
    Round-Robin Format
    You will 1-vs-1 each cardsmith in your division in a best of 3 series against each. All you need to do is create 3 cards, one for each of these challenges:
    • Mystery Challenge #1: Create an artifact creature that's a Spirit.
    • Mystery Challenge #2: Create a common spell with apocalyptic artwork.
    • Mystery Challenge #3: Create a creature whose P/T are greater than its mana cost.
    You get 1 mystery prize for each cardsmith you defeat in your best of threes.
    Playoffs
    The top cardsmith in each division will square off with one final matchup!
    1st Place receives 3 premium prizes: 
    (1) The Mystery Box Avatar 
    (2) The Mystery Box Featured Card Winner for the month of July
    (3) The Mystery Box Blog Feature/Re-feature Award (A prize I've never handed out!)
    2nd Place receives 2 premium prizes:
    (2) Wild Card (Non-Premium Prize of Choice)

All Round Robin entries are due by end of day Wednesday!

• edited July 2021
    Ok! Here is my first entry (Will also staple on the other two entries to this post when I make them to save space, unless told otherwise.)

Entry #1: Create an artifact creature that is a spirit.

"It once protected an ancient city, now it merely wanders the ruins, mourning of it's failure and lose of purpose."

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ruyina-desolate-protector

Entry #2: Create a common card with apocalyptic artwork:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/new-world-scrappers

Entry #3: A creature with higher P/T than it's mana cost:

"The less you know, the more it knows."

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/thought-ripper
  • Wednesday. Got it!
  • edited July 2021

Great stuff!

• edited July 2021
    Wonderful
  • edited July 2021

Beauties!

• edited July 2021
    Mystery Challenge #1: Create an artifact creature that's a Spirit.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/armory-geist

This card has the flavour of an animating Spirit that inhabits artifacts and jumps around from one piece to another.  Using colorless mana in the cost gives it a pseudo "colour requirement" so that its mana value can stay lower and to keep it from being played in every deck.

Mystery Challenge #2: Create a common spell with apocalyptic artwork.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/nothing-left-to-give

This is an attempt at an alternative to sacrificing the creature as an additional cost to casting the spell.  Once this resolves, the effect can be used immediately or delayed until any point later in the turn and the effect becomes the color of the creature instead of Dimir.

Mystery Challenge #3: Create a creature whose P/T are great than its mana cost.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/savage-thunder

This creature is like Ball Lightning except it's Phyrexian, so at the end of turn it sacrifices you.
  • edited July 2021
    All of these cards I am quite happy with.

Mystery Challenge #1: Create an artifact creature that's a Spirit.

Complete Conquer, or Inevitable Suicide?

Mystery Challenge #2: Create a common spell with apocalyptic artwork.

Level the Battlefield? Is it worth it?

Mystery Challenge #3: Create a creature whose P/T are greater than its mana cost.

Not all Legends are remembered correctly, their greatest qualities can be lost in time.

Huh, didn't realize these cards had a theme until just now, interesting.
  • edited July 2021

Good entries!

Cliff Dwelling Ghostship
    • Mystery Challenge #2: Create a common spell with apocalyptic artwork.
    Technology Lost
    • Mystery Challenge #3: Create a creature whose P/T are greater than its mana cost.
    Vengeance Angel

Armor-Bound Spirit

Mystery Challenge #2: Create a common spell with apocalyptic artwork.

Lightning Survivalist

Mystery Challenge #3: Create a creature whose P/T are greater than its mana cost.

Ythstorm Slain Behemoth
  • Round Robin Results

Rating Changes:

Corwinnn (1892) -> (1882) -> (2002)
    Aggroman15 (2000) -> (2010) -> (1998)
    AboveAndAbout (1954) -> (1834) -> (1846)
    ShadowReign (1886) -> (1964) -> (2050)
    Jadefire (1805) -> (1727) -> (1744)
    Abu_Jafar (2000) -> (1915) -> (1899)

Seeding:

Life Alert Division
    1. Aggroman15 | 4-2
    2. Corwinnn | 3-2
    3. AboveAndAbout | 1-4
    Zoobooks Special TV Offer! Division
    1. ShadowReign | 4-1
    2. Abu_Jafar | 3-3
    3. Jadefire | 1-4

Championship Match

@Aggroman15 vs @ShadowReign

Championship Mystery Challenge: Create a colorless Artifact Creature that's a Drone with no other subtypes.
    Due by Friday, end of day = Prizes listed above for 1st & 2nd Place

Third Place Match

@Corwinnn vs @Abu_Jafar

3rd Place Mystery Challenge: Create a rare, non-defender creature with power 0.
    Due by Friday, end of day = 3rd gets Bundle of 3 prizes, 4th gets Bundle of 2

Consolation Match

@AboveAndAbout vs @Jadefire

Consolation Mystery Challenge: Create a spell with a custom mechanic of your own design that goes like this: [Ability Name] (When you cast this spell, [effect.])
    Due by Friday, end of day = 5th place gets choice of a prize between 3 choices, 6th gets choice between 2

All cardsmiths that submit a card for playoffs will receive an Invitational Qualification for the 2nd Annual Mystery Box Invitational Tournament!

• edited July 2021
    Championship Mystery Challenge: Create a colorless Artifact Creature that's a Drone with no other subtypes.

(Missing flavor text)
    It escaped the Vedalken's control, in search of free will.

(Originally I had forgotten about the "colorless" part of the challenge, but I liked the concept so much I didn't want to change anything. Here is the original.)

(Note: I know the artwork is from an actual Magic card, however none of the artwork I could find really fit what I wanted.)
  • edited July 2021
    3rd Place Mystery Challenge: Create a rare, non-defender creature with power 0.

Green Kamatayan

Note: I made an edit based on wording feedback. - Final draft
  • 3rd Place Mystery Challenge: Create a rare, non-defender creature with power 0.
    Pacifist of the Peaks
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/pacifist-of-the-peaks?list=user
  • Championship Mystery Challenge: Create a colorless Artifact Creature that's a Drone with no other subtypes.

Scrapmade Excavator
  • Consolation Mystery Challenge: Create a spell with a custom mechanic of your own design that goes like this: [Ability Name] (When you cast this spell, [effect.])
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rubble-raider

Think of Salvage like reverse Cascade.
  • Champion: @Aggroman15

Runner-up: @ShadowReign

3rd Place: @Abu_Jafar

4th Place: @Corwinnn

5th Place: @Jadefire
  • @Aggroman15
    1st Place receives 3 premium prizes: 
    (2) The Mystery Box Featured Card Winner for the month of July
    (3) The Mystery Box Blog Feature/Re-feature Award (A prize I've never handed out!)
  • @ShadowReign
    2nd Place receives 2 premium prizes:
    (2) Wild Card (Non-Premium Prize of Choice)
  • edited July 2021
    @Abu_Jafar
    3rd Place gets a bundle of 3 prizes:
    • Prize 75 [NEW!] - Minesweeper (Mini-Game): You may activate this mini-game in the mystery box challenges for yourself or an entire batch of cardsmiths.
    • Prize 355 - Rogue's Gloves: You may steal two entries in the Mystery Box Challenges. (Those entries become your entries for the deadline. If they win, you win, not their creator.)
    • Prize 87 [NEW!] - Thoughts Please! (Daily Gambit): You may activate this daily gambit for the Mystery Box Challenges. If you do, cardsmiths have the option to post any card new card they've created under the condition that they provide their thoughts and feedback about another cardsmith's card that's been posted in the discussion recently.
  • @Corwinnn
    4th place gets a bundle of 2 prizes:
    • Prize 168 [NEW!] - Complicated Orb: You may choose a difficulty (Easy, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, Insane) for a random mystery challenge in the next mystery box batch.
    • Prize 265 [NEW!] - EMP Grenade: You may throw this grenade at any cardsmith. They can't submit artifacts this deadline and all artifacts they've submitted are destroyed.
  • edited July 2021
    @Jadefire
    5th place gets a choice between three prizes:

Choose one - 

• Prize 424 - Song Negotiations: Pick 4 - I will select 3
    • Prize 385 [NEW!] - Song Adds: You may add five songs to the Mystery Box Spotify playlist.
    • Prize 458 - You (Challenge): You may have a random challenge in the next batch of boxes be a mystery challenge that is to create a card themed/named after you, Jadefire.
  • edited July 2021
    I'll take Prize 424: Wide Mouth Mason - Midnight Rain, Weezer - Beverly Hills, Velvet Revolver - Fall to Pieces, Third Eye Blind - Jumper

Congratulations @Aggroman15 on taking down the dueling champ!  Good job everyone, see you next year.
  • Close por favor
This discussion has been closed.