Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• Anything you know @Jadefire!
  • hey guys i have a question does captain ripley vance count for herself like if you played her first do you only have to cast 2 other splls and shell trigger?
  • @Titanium000 I'm pretty sure she would count herself as a spell. I don't think she would trigger if she was the third spell being cast, as she would be on the stack, and you can't put a +1/+1 counter on a creature on the stack because it's not a creature yet. But I think as long as she was one of the first two spells cast, she will trigger.
  • This is correct, a spell cast is a spell cast, regardless of what that spell is.
  • sweet thx my cousin didnt believe me but now i can prove it 
  • I've given up on trying to getting the wording perfect. Here is the multicolored Human Artificer at uncommon.

(Image is still a link to CS copy.)

Alright let's get into why I did what I did!

To start things off, the art: it spoke to me a while back, though I wasn't sure if I would use it in a nonpermanent spell or not. In the end, given the restraints, when I looked at it, the name "Radical Augmenter" came to me, and I decided I would work with it!

Moving on to the effect: I had thought about someone trying increasingly hard to make themselves perfect through machinery, and so I came up with the exiling of artifacts. I almost made it an equipment card wherein the exiled cards consistently gave a buff, but I had already gone in that direction with the previous designs I made for this challenge that didn't meet the requirements. So then I thought about the benefits that could be offered, and with the colors I chose, I decided that draw and damage were the way to go.

In regards to the mechanical flavor, I considered the benefits of the implied flavor of the fanatic drive to augment one's self regardless of risks, so I flavored it to the idea of trial and error driven progress.

Finally, the body was originally a 3/2 for 5 MV, though I decided that it was too squishy for all the cost it has, so I raised the mana by one, while buffing the P/T by one each.

@jpastor, can I have a new box?
  • alright i have another question bout a card if i play aleatory with okaun eye of chaos out and my opponent says tails but it lands on heads so my okaun would get +1/+1 but since it wouldve landed for me would his double power and toughness thing trigger or no because the rule for coin flipping is
    • 705.1. An effect that instructs a player to flip a coin may care whether that player wins or loses the flip. To flip a coin for such an effect, the player flips the coin and calls “heads” or “tails.” If the call matches the result, the player wins the flip. Otherwise, the player loses the flip. Only the player who flips the coin wins or loses the flip; no other players are involved.
    • 705.2. If an effect instructs a player to flip a coin and that effect cares only whether the coin comes up heads or tails without specifying a winner or loser of the flip, that player flips a coin without making a call. No player wins or loses this kind of flip
    so idk what would happened would he be a 4/4 or an 7/7 im confused and i cant find anywhere online thast tells me
  • @Titanium000
    can you post the cards you're asking about? Thanks
  • edited July 2021

The deadline has arrived!

• @Titanium000 I believe it's neither.  Okaun would be 8/8 because Aleatory has to resolve completely before Okaun's trigger happens, which means he's a 4/4 that gets doubled.

603.3. Once an ability has triggered, its controller puts it on the stack as an object that’s not a card the next time a player would receive priority. See rule 117, “Timing and Priority.” The ability becomes the topmost object on the stack. It has the text of the ability that created it, and no other characteristics. It remains on the stack until it’s countered, it resolves, a rule causes it to be removed from the stack, or an effect moves it elsewhere.

117.2a Triggered abilities can trigger at any time, including while a spell is being cast, an ability is being activated, or a spell or ability is resolving. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”) However, nothing actually happens at the time an ability triggers. Each time a player would receive priority, each ability that has triggered but hasn’t yet been put on the stack is put on the stack. See rule 117.5.

As for coin flipping, you weren't technically doing it right.  You should be the one calling heads or tails but it's common practice to let the other person call it for the perception of fairness, which means you're taking the other side by process of elimination.  However, coin flipping is a solitary activity.
  • @Ranshi your mystery box contains:
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Satyr creature with an ability that triggers when it deals damage or combat damage.
  • I'm feeling a Mystery Box - somebody hit me with a Mystery Challenge! 
  • @jpastor Create a creature with a creature type that previously only existed on tokens.
  • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Licid creature.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/hemorrhaging-licid

• Live now and ready to kick some ass!

twitch.tv/cryptocaillou

Things to discuss:
    • Hockey!
    • A New Game
    • The Saga construction is coming along
    • The newest mode addition!
    Tonight's prizes will be:
    • A Raffle!
    • Prize giveaways every 1 hour of the stream!
    • Instant Favorite on your most recent card upon joining the stream!
  • I'll activate Prize 345 - Mode negotiations: Moshpit or Mystery Box World.
  • edited July 2021
    you guys hit me with the hardest challenges

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/deadly-invaders

• can I have a box please?
  • @WarriorCatInAhat
    Your mystery box contains:
    • Prize 435 - Xplain Yoself (Deadline): You may activate this deadline. If you do, everyone will include a brief explanation of why they made their entry the way they did when they submit their entries this deadline.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a kill spell that destroys target non-[blank].
  • Live to discuss the possibilities of this new Saga and how it will tie directly to the Mystery Box Challenges.

Hope you have a great day today!

twitch.tv/cryptocaillou

• A Mystery Challenge: Create a Planeswalker card with a -10 ability.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ezerheim-vuul

• Crimson Sunset
    a card that perfectly counters cackling gnoll

i would like another box please!
  • Let's die on Dead By Daylight - and then let's die in Limbo... lot's of dying tonight while I'm live discussing the release of the Saga tomorrow!

twitch.tv/cryptocaillou

• edited July 2021
    @samconsumespie your mystery box contains:
    • Prize 158 [NEW!]: Bundle of 3 Prizes
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a spell with Reckless in its name.
    • Prize 392 - Carpet Bomb [NEW!]: Destroy all entries with unknown artists. (There are none.)
    • Prize 313 - A Bomb [NEW!]: You may destroy 1 target entry.
    • Prize 364 - 2 Headed Giant [NEW!]: You may activate the following mode. 2-vs-2... Players will partner up randomly to create 1 entry for a challenge.
  • edited July 2021
    @jpastor

Hello, where can I pick the mystery box?
  • ok @jpastor here the cards 

ok as i said would if my opponent calls tails but it lands on heads it would be in my favor but since i didnt call it would it trigger okaun ability or no because im confused on it

if yall can help me ill be ever grateful

• @jpastor

Is this possible for me to join?
This discussion has been closed.