Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• I'll take prize 49.
  • Mystery Challenge: Create an Expertise. (Double Cheeseburger for two entries.)
    Blackflames Expertise Silvers Expertise

This set has more related to Silver and Blackflame.

Another Mystery Box please.

Personal Prize Inventory
    • Prize 79 – A Reshuffle (A single reshuffle.)
    • Prize 68 - Limited Art (Modifier) - Cash this in anytime.
    • Prize 88 - Adventure
    • Prize 40 - Gearhulk Apparatus - Choose Solo Challenge, Duel, Moshpit, or Modifier (Mechanix)
    • Prize 2 - Slaps (1-3 entries of your choice)
    • Premium Prize 87 - Wildcard (Any non-premium prize of your choice.)
    • Prize 71 - Wagon Wheel (Pre-Mystery Box challenge, duel, or moshpit - activate any time.)
    • Prize 82 - Double Cheeseburger (You can submit two entries for this mystery challenge.)
    • Prize 32 – Spider Silk: Receive your next Spellweb with up to 6 colors of your choice. (x4)
  • Does activating a solo challenge prize replace the regular mystery challenge now or can I get one of those too?  I need to look for some inspiration for the Cardsmiths Against Humanity challenge in the meantime.
  • Mystery Challenge: Create a monogreen Human with no additional subtypes.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/silverfrost-forager
  • Oh yeah, another box, please. 
  • edited January 2022
    I                       suppose                @Jadefire          that           I               can          give            you         another            mystery        challenge                 oK!

Create a Skaab.
  • Thanks @jpastor, much appreciated!
  • edited January 2022

A Cardsmiths Against Humanity Mystery Challenge: Create an un card with an appropriate name to fill in this blank: Guys, stop it! There’s nothing funny about_____.

https://www.mtgcardsmith.com/view/manaphylaxis

Couldn't fit in the clause that if they added ten or more mana of the chosen colour, they lose the game, which would open up an interesting line of play for using cards like Valleymaker, Shizuko, Caller of Autumn, Magus of the Vineyard, and Eladamri's Vineyard.

• Mystery Challenge: Create a creature with two subtypes that gives you protection from something!

• Another box please!

• @CrimsonFox It doesn't look like Unchallenged Predator meets the requirement of the Mystery Challenge, it has protection itself but doesn't give its controller protection from anything.
  • @jpastor I have a question about my challenge: Do both sides of the card have to be Planeswalker?
  • What is your challenge @ShadowReign
  • @ShadowReign
    Your mystery box contains:
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a double-sided Planeswalker card.
  • yes both sides @ShadowReign
    like Garruk
  • Gotcha, thanks @jpastor. Just wanted to know my options.
  • @WarriorCatInAhat
    • Prize 34 - Jadefire Special (2 prize bundle)
    • Prize 29 - Bag of Gemstones (You may request feedback on one of your cards.)
    • Prize 68 - Limited Art Modifier (X artworks will be useable for the remainder of the deadline upon activating this modifier whenever you'd like.)
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Aura that gives a creature a tap ability.

@CrimsonFox - the card needs to give you as a player, protection from something

@LeBateauIvre
    • Premium Prize 64 - Angelstone (The winner of this deadline will receive a premium prize.) - or trade this in for a Wild Card = one non-premium prize of your choice.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Monk creature with lifelink.

@cadstar369
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a mono-white Vampire creature card.
    @GloomyAndSunny1_0_1
    You've inspired in me one of the best ideas I've ever thought of for Mystery Boxes. Thank you!

• Oh, okay, algds
  • edited January 2022
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a double-sided Planeswalker card.
    I had a hard time trying to find art that matched and could fit for a Planeswalker, so this is the closest I could get. Also, I apologize for the dash and dot in the top right corner [of the transformed side], as it was the only way I could get the name to fight. I also wanted to do a lot more [with the transformed side] but for some reason the moon frame doesn't work with a four ability creature. However, despite all these obstacles I feel I made a pretty good design.

Another box please.
  • @ShadowReign if I may, is flipping Ash Farbieu meant to be a downside tied to their [+1]? The front side seems much more powerful than the transform side. For two mana you get to both break most ramp spells (since having lands come in tapped is a huge balancing factor for most of them) and the plus ability draws you a card with no condition, cost or downside (which is a blue ability). The [-2] also helps if you're desperate for lands and drawing extra cards with the [+1] somehow hasn't yielded any.

Once they flip though, the [+1] is alright, but there's plenty of other mana doublers that don't hurt you for equal or greater value, don't require this kind of setup, and aren't limited to only your turn. Having the Land=Elemental on a [-3] feels like a bad Nissa but for more effort (though it is a bit bigger than the ones Nissa normally gets, and trample could be relevant, but Green has lots of trample enablers). The [-X] really drives home how good the front side is though, because you've lost that effect to get here. Additionally, since you're probably playing lots of land ramp to take advantage of the front side, the [-X] is much more likely to miss.

Overall, it feels like the best way to use this card is to figure out how to not flip them, perhaps by playing them in more colors or avoiding playing lands with Forest and/or Swamp typing (although this turns off the ability to play cards that give your lands all types). This minimizes the efficacy of the [-2], but that's totally fine, since the passive and [+1] are very strong as a cheap engine. (Imagine if the uncommon War of the Spark planeswalkers ticked up instead of down.)
  • @cadstar369 Okay, taking into consideration everything you have stated, I have a few ideas. I'm going to do a little editing, let me know what you think.
  • edited January 2022
    A Mystery Challenge: Create a Skaab.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/reassembling-skaab

Can I get another mystery box?
  • @ShadowReign the transform side seems much more interesting and useful now. However, now that the back side is a strong card in its own way, having the [+1] not be an optional transform feels like removing a balancing factor for an ability that still doesn’t really make sense on a BG card (usually you lose life or sacrifice something when these colors have draw on a nonnegative ability). Making the transform a ‘may’ means the card retains the issue of the front side being really strong, while both making it much easier to stay there and giving extra utility on the transform side if you don’t need the front for awhile (effectively supercharging an already very strong card instead of balancing it).

With the current abilities, if it had the non-optional, one-way flip from the original it would still be really strong (non-optional two-way flip also works since it’s a [-6] to flip back, which is a lot, and will effectively keep you mostly on the transform side unless your lands get destroyed).  

Also, I didn’t realize this earlier, but because the transform effect isn’t exiling the card, the loyalty counter doesn’t reset, so the 6 in the corner on the transform side doesn’t do anything (see Arlinn Kord). Arlinn Kord is also why I think it would be significantly more balanced if the [+1] went back to not being optional. It’d still be a very powerful mythic planeswalker, but it would have an interesting flip dance once you get into the mid to late game. 
  • @ShadowReign How does having a fixed starting loyalty on the backside work when you only flip the card to transform it?  The creature/planeswaker transforming cards from Origins had you exile the card and return it transformed so that it would be counted as a different object.  You may want to specify that the land becomes a 5/5 Elemental creature for the backside +1 ability since card type changes are typically made explicit.  Also, I wonder if the Amulet of Vigor wording would be more appropriate for the frontside continuous ability since it appears that's the effect you want to achieve.
  • mystery challenge: Create an Enchantment Sorcery card.
    uh I didn't hit the link, and made this:

does it still count?
  • @cadstar369 @Jadefire Fixed. There's no option to remove the loyalty counter on the backside, and having just an empty one feels weird, so it's the best I can do.
  • @ShadowReign
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a hybrid-colored sorcery with retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.) 

@Jadefire
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a 1-mana creature with only flavor text :)
This discussion has been closed.