Combo Challenge #1 - 10 Combos needed

Combo Challenge® #1

Artist credit: Randy Gallegos - Copyright 2016

This is.....Combo Challenges! Only the first one out of about 40. I'm really sorry to take up the front page, but this is a concept idea that I had and I can't ignore like I do for most of them. 

Overview
The point of this is to create up to four cards that match up in a combo for a gallery of cards. Submit them in any time fitting the deadline (See Below). Then, after the deadline 10 of those combos will be chosen, and put into the 'Combo Gallery'. The people whose combos have been chosen will go to the next round, #2. So on and so forth until the end of  #40, when all of the qualified combos will be revealed in the 'Combo Gallery'. All Combos users which have created combos will gain prizes. (See below for details) Point is to have fun makin' cards that y'all would love to play in real life. :)

Prize Details
  • At the end of #40, each player will gain 1/5 of a favourite for each combo that made it in. 
  • 2 favourites = 4 favourites gifted to other cardsmiths
  • If only one, two, three or four of your combos makes it in, you gain 1 favourite, instead of 1/5. 
  • If 20+ of your combos make it in, you get an additional 2 faves and a follow.
  • If 40+ of your combos make it in, you get an additional 4 faves and you may choose 1 of the additional prizes
-6 favourites gifted to a cardsmith of your choice.
-A follow
-Guranteed win in my next contest (You may only choose this prize once.
-2 more faves.
  • Max fave amount = 30. If you should get above 30, then all additional faves: 1=1/4 of a additional prizes (see above)

Rules
-Up to four cards in each combo
-Please, please, please try to credit the artist. It isn't compulsory, but you have a 20% lower chance of the card qualifying.
-Try using balance, creativity, flavour, artwork selection. For tips on balance, go here.
-Please embed the link to the card. Again, it isn't compulsory, but it's more convinient for other people and myself. Fot tips on how to do this, go here
-Respect the forum rule. 
(e.g. 1. Don't be a jerk.
2. Attack an argument, not a person. Constructive criticism.
3. Your posts must not break any laws or the Terms of Use.
4. Be respectful of the site, forums, and other members.
5. No spam - including advertisements to products, services or outside websites.
6. No inappropriate content or anything unrelated to MtG, this discussion or the forums and the website.)

Have fun! 

Comments

• This looks pretty interesting! Are you assigning a color combo to us or are we supposed to choose one? I’m a little confused on the rules, but I’d definitely love to join
  • @shadow123

Sorry about the confusion. Here's a list of things you will need to do.

1. Choose a colour combination. Try 1-2 colours, 3 would be acceptable, but avoid making combos that include 4-5 colours. 
    2. Create 2-4 cards that would work together in an awesome way. (What counts as awesome, however, is up to you) 
    3. List what format you think this combo would be best in.
    4. Post an hope for the best!

Another rule I should pint out is that there should be no infinite loops.
  • Cool! I might take a little while, but I'll definitely try to enter.
  • No worries. :)

Here's an example for anyone who may be confused with what I mean by Combo:

Redirection ArchmageNexus TwistingDefiant BeautyProphet of Essence

1. Cast Defiant Beauty.     2. Target Redirection Archmage and draw the card. 
    3. Then, use the second part of its ability to redirect Defiant Beauty to Prophet of Essence 4. That will then trigger Nexus Twisting, copying Defiant Beauty. 5. You may do the same thing again with Redircetion Archmage and Prophet of Essence, but it will not trigger Nexus Twisting.
  • edited March 2021
    Had just started making a set that interacts with an older card I made when you opened this contest.   Not sure if they qualify but if not you can tell everyone why:
    Individual cards in https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/mmm3creator2/sets/56925

They are intended to be synergistic and re-enforce each other, but not trigger in any specific order as your example does.

Mortium Majesteria  - helps you get a planewalker of designated type (Alice) out and has an ability that a planewalker can power.  - comment/concept if you look up the card.

Elzbet Malyce (Alice) is her friend and the core card of the combo, I don't count an emblem as a "card" so it is only 4 cards.

Deathwatch Orb is a small creature good for early points with Flight or chump blocking, but in a Madness deck gets more potential abilities as the game goes on.  Alice can set him spinning off every round or mill to make him more flexible.

Tightly Wound is a card that harnesses Flashback and Madness, which Alice's ultimate provides, to grow a creature or Planeswalker like Alice.

I consider a group like this "combo" cards for their purposefully designed synergy and sort of awesome for a self-mill/flashback/madness deck.  Which is exactly Alice's condition when she visits Innistrad.
  • edited April 2021
    I might be wrong, so correct me if I am, but I think this combo can be a wincon.

1) Play Ganleya (commander? or maybe in the 99 of a Zedruu deck?)

2) Play Daughter of Pramikon and give control of the wall tokens to an opponent.

3) Cast Giftgiving with X=3, sac Daughter of Pramikon, give each opponent a token copy of Daughter of Pramikon (and they each take 3 damage).  But since Daughter of Pramikon is still in your graveyard, you're still her owner, so you still create all the wall tokens when the Daughter of Pramikon copies ETB under the control of your opponents.  Then you start handing the wall tokens out in the direction your opponents choose.  If you're in a commander game, that could be 20 wall tokens now (total), and if there's still at least 10 of those permanents in the control of opponents when your next upkeep comes around, you win because of Ganleya.

Right?
  • Wow, nice combo!
  • edited April 2021
    Okay I think I corrected this so it's not infinitely broken, lol:

• I have not forgotten about this! I'm just still a tad bit busy.
  • No problem. 

• Can we submit more than one ‘combo’?
  • edited February 2022
    @cadstar369 Yes but only 1 more
  • @TheDukeOfPork meaning we can submit a maximum of 2 ‘combos’ each round?
  • CORRECT! You score 1 point!

:p 
  • Deadline 3rd March.
  • Combo I ~ Forgotten Memories
    Kezzar, Memory Dredger + Shift (+ Aetheric Confluence)

Kezzar Memory Dredger Shift Aetheric Confluence

Summary: Put a number of cards from the bottom and/or top of your library into your hand.

How it works:

Setup I: Kezzar on the battlefield, Shift in hand, any other spell ready to cast, {4}{u} + the cost of the other spell available.
    1. Cast any spell, triggering Kezzar.
    2. Discard Shift & put the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    3. For {4}{u}, cast Shift via Madness and pay the Buyback cost, triggering Kezzar again.
    4. Discard a card (you will always have a card due to step 2) & put the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    5. Resolve Shift, putting Shift and the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    6. Resolve the original spell.
    Result: Put the bottom 3 cards of your library into your hand, discarding 1 card along the way.

Setup II: Kezzar & Aetheric Confluence on the battlefield, Shift in hand, any other spell ready to cast, {3}{u} + the cost of the other spell available.
    1. Cast any spell, triggering Kezzar. If the spell was not cast from your hand, trigger Aetheric Confluence, otherwise skip step 2. (Steps 2 and 3 are interchangeable.)
    2. Scry 1, potentially setting a card on the bottom of your library for later.
    3. Discard Shift & put the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    4. For {3}{u}, cast Shift via Madness and pay the Buyback cost, triggering Kezzar and Aetheric Confluence. (steps 5 and 6 are interchangeable)
    5. Scry 1, potentially setting a card on the bottom of your library for later. 
    6. Discard a card (you will always have a card due to step 3) & put the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    7. Resolve Shift, putting Shift & the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    8. Resolve the original spell.
    Result: Put [the bottom card of your library], [the 2nd bottom card of your library or the top card of your library], and [the 3rd bottom card of your library or the 2nd top card of your library] into your hand, discarding 1 card along the way. (Choices bracketed for reading convenience)

Setup III: Kezzar on the battlefield, Shift and one other card in hand, {3~4}{u}{u} available.  (Skip step 3 if Aetheric Confluence is not on the battlefield.)
    1. Cycle Shift for {u}.
    2. For {3~4}{u}, cast Shift via Madness and pay the Buyback cost, triggering Kezzar (and Aetheric Confluence). (Steps 3 and 4 are interchangeable.)
    3. Scry 1, potentially setting a card on the bottom of your library for later. 
    4. Discard a card & put the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    5. Resolve Shift, putting Shift & the bottom card of your library into your hand.
    6. Resolve the cycling ability; draw a card.
    Result: Discard a card, then put the bottom 2 cards of your library into your hand & draw a card. (If Aetheric Confluence is on the battlefield, you can take the top and bottom cards of your library instead of the bottom 2.)

Additional Notes:
    • At the end of each of these processes, Shift is back in your hand, so you can go into any of these combos any number of times.
    • If Shift ends up in your graveyard, for {3}{u}{u} you can cast it via Flashback to get it into your hand via Buyback.
    • If you start by casting an instant or sorcery and have an extra {2}{u} available, you can splice Shift onto that spell before discarding Shift to Kezzar, thus adding an extra card from the bottom of your library to your hand during the final step.
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Combo II ~ Resilient Forces
    Alexander, Imperial General + Geraint, Imperial Recruiter
    (+ General Renee (+ Baron Blazerain))

Alexander Imperial General Geraint Imperial Recruiter General Renee Baron Blazerain

Summary: Support your army of small creatures. Buff them, create more, recur them, and generate a powerful removal spell every turn, depending on the number of pieces.

How it works:
    Core Setup: Alexander & Geraint on the battlefield, multiples of {2}{w} available.
    1. Activate Geraint's ability, creating a 1/1 white Human Soldier. This triggers Alexander, buffing your small creatures (including the one you just created).
    2. Repeat step 1 at any time.
    If General Renee is also on the battlefield, creatures that meet Alexander's conditions get +0/+2, making Geraint's tokens 1/3 (2+/3 on the turn they arrive). Additionally, if you have any small creature that sacrifices itself for an ability (such as Selfless Spirit) or otherwise ends up in your graveyard (such as Baron Blazerain), General Renee can retrieve it by attacking.

Flashy Finisher ~ If Baron Blazerain is in your hand while the other three are on the battlefield and you have at least {6}{r}{r}{r}{r}{r}{r}{r} available:
    1. Cast Baron Blazerain kicked 5+ times. (Baron Blazerain has mana value 3, so General Renee's buff affects it.)
    2. Choose Baron Blazerain as one of the targets of its ability. Use the other 4+ targets to clear away problems and/or blast your opponent(s).
    3. Attack with General Renee, targeting Baron Blazerain in your graveyard.
    4. Return Baron Blazerain to your hand, ready to unleash another firestorm next turn.

• Deadline 3rd March.
This discussion has been closed.