Dranto: Rising Dawn

Comments

• Weltin: *sweats profusely*
  • It was at this moment that he realized 

He *quack*ed up
  • Just realized I wrote "Ever" instead of "Even". 
  • Haha, oh well, we all make mistakes  :D
  • Gronder Followers Priest

This is the leader of the Followers, the cult that worships the Demons. 
  • Pretty neat
  • Niceeeee! So they're a 'gain from loss' kinda group? Since the demons they worship are brutal to their people, the Followers revel in sacrifice and hardship?
  • Just a minor suggestion, don't forget your / in +1/+1 or -1/-1 e.t.c
  • My dad says he's overpowered, what do you think? I may redo. I gotta go right now though, I may be back tonight.
  • How proficient is your dad in mtg? I think it's fine.
  • Feels very orcy and shamany
  • edited April 2022
    Maybe a +1/+1 counter on each creature is a little OP, but then you have the Nykthos Paragon, for example, and it doesn't seem too bad in comparison. But maybe if you limit it to a +1/+1 counter on up to two creatures you control or something? I think the fact you have to lose 4 life a turn in order to get the bonus does balance it out a bit, but limiting the number of creatures that get buffed could be a good idea to further balance it

• Either that, or make him cost a bit more, like 5 or 6
  • I am just nit-picking at this point, but I agree with @Tonysparks. I think it's good as it is

• Besides, it's mythic. You can expect a little extra power from it, lol
  • @CrimsonFox yes, they're a gain-from-loss group. Sorry, didn't see it when you wrote it. It's mostly gonna be pay-life-for-benefit and gain-life-to-pay-life.
    @Tonysparks whoops, good catch. I make that error more often than I should. 
  • A deep delve into the Followers:

After the Demons took over, several of the "savage" races banded together and formed the Followers, a group of radical cultists who worship the Demons. They view themselves as pious and loyal and have different rankings that determine status. The High Priest, an Orc named Gronder, watches over the rest of the "Coven". There are several normal Priests, each of which watches over a different portion of their society. The way the Followers work is that they make blood offerings and several other ritualistic practices to appease the Demons and gain power from them. The more powerful priests have access to deadly blood magic, and use this power to ensure obedience from the members. 
  • This is going to be a full set, right? If so, do you have any mechanics yet?

Also fun fact, I was planning on making a set with a demon-theme as well after finishing the set I'm currently working on. However, the main focus for my set is more on the plane itself, which will be a plane that's inspired by hell.
  • Yeah, I want to one day make it a full set. I don't have any mechanics yet, but I'll start working on those soon. My plane is focused more on the story than anything else, but your plane sounds pretty cool. Anywhere I can read about it?
  • I honestly don't have much about it yet since I don't want to overload myself on making sets, but I can give a short description:

The souls of those who die on planes without afterlives are transported to this plane (even non-planeswalkers), and usually those who are transported there are transformed into demonic beings. The most powerful of these demons became known on the plane as "The Nine", and those who are able to defeat all nine demons are given a second chance at life.
    Here's some of the other stuff I have so far:
    Each of "The Nine" will have a flavorful reference to one of the power nine within the name, flavor text, and/or art. I realized that there's nine cards in the power nine, and there's nine circles of hell in the story of Dante's Inferno, so I merged the ideas together.
    Gideon will probably appear in this set since he died in War of the Spark. It would make sense that the one dead planeswalker appears in a set thats setting is literally the afterlife.
    I WILL have a planeswalker that's somewhat inspired by the Doom Slayer, using demonic energy to fight demons. Fun fact, the whole set idea actually came to me while playing Doom: Eternal.
  • That's really cool, can't wait to see you flesh it out some more. 
  • @Ashdust
    Is there anything else you want us to help you with/do on this set?
  • I do need a good Esper race. I'll get into the rest tomorrow.
  • Okay, cool
  • Esper, huh. Wedges are the hardest colors to portray cause Esper has to kind of be orzhov with a splash of blue in it.
  • Maybe since you said most angels don't care about humans anymore, some angel extremists who have been corrupted by power/ the feeling of superiority (white, black) but who overuse the laws and contracts of the angels to justify their killing. (White, blue, black)
  • I do like that idea, but I also just realized there are two groups of Humans. The Lightbringers and the Reclaimers. I'll definitely still use that idea but as a kind of side story. 

Alright, so here are the wedges:

Bant: Angels
    Esper: Reclaimers
    Grixis: Demons
    Jund: Followers
    Naya: Lightbringers

Side races/factions: Some Angels support the Demons and work for them, and some Orcs work with the Lightbringers to regain the land. Some humans in turn have joined the Followers. 

Alright, the main order of business now is mechanics. I want 5 mechanics that support each tribe or faction. @Tonysparks do you want to do the Lightbringers since you made Weltin? And @CrimsonFox would you like to do the Demons? I'll do the Reclaimers, the Followers, and the Angels unless @Ranshi wants to do the Angels. 

Mechanics should support each tribe, and these are up for interpretation:

Angels: Counters, Control, and Auras
    Reclaimers: Topdeck, Graveyard, and Discard
    Demons: Sacrifice, Impulse Draw, Damage
    Followers: Lifegain, Paying life, Tokens
    Lightbringers: Equipment, Attacking, and Creatures

Feel free to make any archetype recommendations, it would help greatly. I once again thank you for your help.
  • Alright, so the Angels that are "Evil" are Angels that have left the sanctuary to seek refuge from the Demons. These Angels are more violent and refuse to submit to rules or restrictions. Most of the Angels hated the Angel Code of Grace and fled to prevent becoming mortal. 
  • I  can do the lightbringers and even help you with mechanics for them if needed
  • Yeah, that's exactly what I needed. Can you recommend archetypes and make the mechanic? I'm going to work on the Followers. I appreciate the help :>
This discussion has been closed.