Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• @FireOfGolden we’re currently in the middle of a collaborative story event, so Mystery Boxes are coming one at a time for a little while.
  • Wait does that mean I might story make 3 or 4 times @cadstar369?
  • @DrakeGladis potentially yes, but there’s 4 people in the rotation at the moment, so given that each entry must directly succeed the previous, you’ll probably only get one more box before the deadline arrives and the event ends.
  • Mystery Challenge: Create any card and continue the story with 1-2 sentences.
    Twilight Blessing

In the village's crumbling church, an elderly priest speaks blessings over the hunters and their weapons, one of the final preparations before the hunt begins in earnest...

Another Mystery Box please. :)

Inventory
    • Prize 52 - Quest Journal (Gambit, Duel, Moshpit, Draft - Go on your own adventure of 3-5 cards, equipped with a short story along with it. 2-3 sentences per card.) [Activate any time.]
    • Prize 40 - Rain Check Tournament: A deadline of 32 entries and rain check prizes, followed by single elimination brackets with the entries. Activate any time.
    • Prize 65 - A friendly game of...: Challenge jpastor to your choice of a checkers, chess, or scrabble game on a free app. If you win the match, you get the mystery box avatar and a newly discovered prize.
    • Prize 60 - Scribing Device: Activate this to drastically change the judging criteria for the deadline.
    • Prize 91 - Futuresight: The next batch will be duels/moshpits. (Activate when requesting.)
    • Premium Prize 96 - Blog Mention (Yup, a blurb in the monthly blog about you. Activate any time.)
    • Prize 50 - Copycat: You may submit a card for any mystery challenge on this page instead of a card for the mystery challenge in your box.
    • Prize 12 - Corwinnn's Cache: Solo, Duel, Moshpit, Draft - Squirreltopia!
    • Prize 48 - Glyph of Cadstar: Magic Mirror (Activate this to get a copy of the first prize another cardsmith earns from opening a Mystery Box.)
    • Prize 59 - Wits & Wagers: Create a moshpit of 3 cardsmiths other than yourself and bet as much of your inventory as you'd like on a winner. If they win, you double your bet prizes. You duel the winner. If they win the duel, you forfeit your earnings to them.
    *Self-reminder -- Threes challenge: Create a half card.
  • edited September 2022
    @stijnhommes
    What was the Legacy Prize you chose?
    Your mystery box contains:
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create any card and continue the story with 1 or 2 sentences.
    Snake Modifier *Active*

On a cold, full moon night in the eastern cemetery, the dead began to wake. As the moon rose, the alive began to howl with excitement...

Grand Hunt
    The ruins of the village were home to about 2 dozen survivors of the zombie apocalypse, driven mad with hatred for the undead.  They preyed on them now as zombies would prey on normal humans, and they thirsted for this next hunt...

Twilight Blessing

In the village's crumbling church, an elderly priest speaks blessings over the hunters and their weapons, one of the final preparations before the hunt begins in earnest...
  • edited September 2022
    @DrakeGladis
    • Prize 61 - Art Thou Great: Activate this draft anytime and everyone in the mystery box queue will draft from a list of artworks for their mystery challenge. 
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Naya-colored Beast creature.
    @cadstar369
    • Prize 6 - The Gold Plate: This deadline's winning card will be featured. [Activate before a deadline finishes.]
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a flavorful Serpent creature card.
  • @jpastor When do you expect my box to become available? I'm getting slightly jealous of the people who are getting boxes while I'm waiting.

I thought the wait was because only one person could continue the story, but that doesn't make sense with two boxes coming in at once...
  • edited September 2022
    @stijnhommes your box above has the current story continuation challenge. I presume DrakeGladis and I received boxes to retain engagement while you and FireofGolden take a turn at the story.
  • Sorry! I totally missed that part of the post. I guess I need more sleep. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • edited September 2022
    Night of the Hunt

Once the blessings were completed, the villages took their weapons and their torches and headed into the forest, ready to track down the ghoulish, undead creatures that had invaded their home.

@jpastor:
    You asked: "@stijnhommes What was the Legacy Prize you chose?"

After I won the Legacy Negotation prize, I decided on the option of mood rings mode instead of a tournament raincheck and later selected the Dinner Role that led to the current story sidequest. 

I'm not sure what else there is for me to choose. Have I overlooked yet another post?
    I'll hold off on asking for another box until we've got this thing sorted out.

Inventory:
    Prize 3 - Glyph of Hileandr (Reroll): Cash this in any time to replace one of your mystery challenges with a new one.
    Prize 82 - Freaky Friday: You and target mystery boxer may trade any unused prizes and incomplete mystery challenges with one another.
    Premium Prize 8 - Wonderbar: Swap a prize in your inventory with a newly created prize of your choice. (You create the prize, but it must first be approved by me.)
    Premium Prize 86 - All-in Bundle: You will get X prizes of choice, where X is the number of deadline points you earn this deadline.
    Prize 87 - Silver Key: Guarantees a new discovery in the box it's used to open.
    Prize 77 - Legacy Negotiation Prize: Chosen Mood Rings - Dinner Role

• @FireOfGolden
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create any card and continue the story with 1 or 2 sentences.
    Snake Modifier *Active*

On a cold, full moon night in the eastern cemetery, the dead began to wake. As the moon rose, the alive began to howl with excitement...

Grand Hunt
    The ruins of the village were home to about 2 dozen survivors of the zombie apocalypse, driven mad with hatred for the undead.  They preyed on them now as zombies would prey on normal humans, and they thirsted for this next hunt...

Twilight Blessing

Once the blessings were completed, the villages took their weapons and their torches and headed into the forest, ready to track down the ghoulish, undead creatures that had invaded their home.
  • @stijnhommes
    OH!!! My bad

This is yet another community-driven event with all box requesters in the loop. We will start it after the Snake modifier ends. Just remind me if I forget. I tend to do that sometimes.
  • All right! I just hope my vacation won't interfere with "my" event. I won't have access to enough electronics, artwork or time to keep making cards during my vacation.

Please give me a box when there is space in the story. (My vacation will begin in October)
  • @stijnhommes
    we can activate it any time you'd like
  • @jpastor
    Beyond Death {x} - You may cast it for its Beyond Death from your graveyard.

Elfinwood Walker by FireOfGolden | MTG Cardsmith

... As Elfinwood awaits, the people would shaken upon the sight of a creature, they never see everything like it.
  • Snake Modifier *Ended*
    Final Snake = 5 :smile: Good job all!

Grand Hunt

Twilight Blessing

Elfinwood Walker by FireOfGolden | MTG Cardsmith

... As Elfinwood awaits, the people would shaken upon the sight of a creature, they never see everything like it.
  • The Deadline Has Arrived!

The winners...

1. @The_333_ ;
    2. @cadstar369 ;Sunflower Seraph
    3. @stijnhommes ;
  • edited September 2022
    My thoughts on the winning cards:

@The_333_
    I feel like that should be black mana for the casting cost. The blue version of this, as a common, would be something like an instant speed, "Create a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token. Creatures your opponents control get -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the number of colorless creatures you control."

This idea though of a tradeoff for you opponent to get tokens in exchange for sacrificing creatures, let alone tokens that provide mana.. i like this idea and rewarded you 1st place for the thought.

@cadstar369
    Another solid card. It's unique to see an Angel without flying. I like to see a monowhite lifegain creature that uses non lifelink mechanics. This is an interesting card, but it is a very useful mechanic for white, since card draw is uncommon. Nonetheless, good enough for 2nd place!

@stijnhommes
    I'm confused on the color identity of this card, but let me explain why I like it. I like the flavor of the mob in the forest on the hunt for something. In this case, they're after zombies, I think, which is such a clever and unique concept. I haven't seen a lot of anti-zombie apocalypse flavor in custom cards, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Good idea. 3rd place.
  • September Mystery Box Featured Card Winner

@cadstar369 gets to choose who this month!

• Whoa! To what do I owe this honor @jpastor?
  • You're my most active Prestige, and I can't decide this month!
  • edited September 2022

@jpastor have a Naya Beast.  Top of the curve, limited bombshell, probably not great in standard since it costs 2 mana to kill unless you have a +1/+1 counter on it, which is easy but might cost another 1 or 2 mana.  

Now, for another bocks!

.... also do I have to keep track of my prizes?  If I do I'm probably never using them since I'll forget.  Or i'll use them immediately.  If I don't, do I just ping you and ask for them?

• @DrakeGladis I don't keep track. If you wish to save them for later, keep track..otherwise just use em if ya want right away
  • Prize 84 - The Ancients: A full set dedicated to gods/deities. When activated, cardsmiths will, for the remainder of the deadline, choose one god/deity and create a mini-set for that being. No mystery boxes the remainder of the deadline for everyone that participates. Just 50/50 shots at prizes for each entry.

Prize 61 - Art Thou Great: Activate this draft anytime and everyone in the mystery box queue will draft from a list of artworks for their mystery challenge. 

And counting!

• @jpastor Until new contest starts, hit me one.
  • @FireOfGolden
    • Prize 36 - Herbal Supplement: You may exchange X of your unused prizes for 2X favorites.
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a moonfolk wizard creature card.
  • @stijnhommes
    OH!!! My bad

This is yet another community-driven event with all box requesters in the loop. We will start it after the Snake modifier ends. Just remind me if I forget. I tend to do that sometimes.

@stijnhommes
    we can activate it any time you'd like
    @jpastor  
    Thanks for the clarification in the messages you posted earlier. I'll activate when I return from my vacation. 

Can you give me a new box in the meantime? I have a couple of days left to squeeze in a new card.

• @jpastor
    can I get me new boxxo?  Ya never passed it over m8
This discussion has been closed.