Faiths_Guide - Reverse Challenge

Comments

• @Faiths_Guide Correct, it's up to you how many times is too many and how the conditional win clause becomes active or triggered once too many times is achieved.
  • edited October 2022
    Sweda
    A fun challenge for which I've already come up with an interesting idea *GUFFAW*
    If you don't mind swinging by and voting on your favorite three items over here, I'd be grateful!

Table 4. @Sweda
    A conditional "you win" Commander when killed too many times
  • edited October 2022
    A conditional "you win" Commander when killed too many times for @Sweda:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/fungal-patriarch

@Sweda
    Hope you don't mind the way I interpreted this XD

-30 UNIQUE GUESTS SERVED THUS FAR-
    THE MENU HAS REACHED 143 ITEMS
  • Next Up:
    Table 1. @FireOfGolden
    An Elemental Fox creature.

Table 2. Korora12
    A non-God enchantment that becomes a creature.

Table 3. @TenebrisNemo
    A Saga land similar to Urza's.

--SIGN ON THE RESTAURANT WINDOW--
    __No Persons Under 21 Decades of Age__
    _____May Order 'Walker Sauce Here____

[It'd be great if returning customers could go look at The Menu when they place a new order and give me feedback on previous designs, going from last page to first (new to old). It'll help me to know what people like and what they don't by looking at the number of favorites or, even better, discussions in the comments. Thanks for your time!]

Version #2 of the Most Popular Menu Items Contest is live!
    !GO VOTE!
  • edited October 2022
    @Sweda
    [Clarification on your order: I realized that if such a commander existed, it would just be played in a deck that could repeatedly sacrifice it and ramped hard enough to cast it multiple times. As this was the case, I wanted a Helix Pinnacle style of commander, where you are trying to accumulatively ramp out and build a token win. Your goal will be to cast/sac/cast/sac/cast/sac until Fungal Patriarch--plus doubling season, panharmonicon, etc.--creates enough saprolings to have swarmed out a win. He's a death-is-life (fungal) commander!]
  • Hey @Faiths_Guide ! May I request you a Food tribal artifact creature with Food subtype as a meal?
  • edited October 2022
    @Shelko
    How dare you order Food in my tavern! *Guffaw* Pull up a chair right over there  ;)

Table 4. @Shelko
    Food tribal artifact creature with Food subtype.

[ Don't forget to go cast your vote: https://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/6001/vote-for-the-next-batch-of-most-popular-menu-items#latest ]
  • edited October 2022
    *Walks up to the bar, grinning*

You have found an amazing talent @Faiths_Guide. *Grasps hand firmly and shakes* Your contacts are well supplied. I would like to order a little something to sate my thirst for the arcane. Perhaps something with a little mechanical flair?

A colored Assembly-Worker creature that cares about instants/sorceries in some form or fashion.

I'm sure you'll be able to whip up another amazing concoction, you always do. In the meantime, I'll get this new performer some music, and set them to entertaining your guests.

*Directs the violinist towards the stage*
  • @Revan
    Welcome, Lad; your grip is mightier at each meeting! I believe I can momentarily  satiate your hunger again. Pull up a chair.

Table 6. @Revan
    Colored Assembly-Worker creature that cares about instants and sorceries.

I happen to have a couple artifacts for your appetizer:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/forethought-automaton
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cleansing-constructs
  • Lovely, I shall very much enjoy these scrumptious tastings. My compliments to the chef.
  • @Faiths_Guide I accept your interpretation for Fungal Patriarch.  In my mind I had a clause that after X amount of commander casts or after spending X mana due to commander tax an alternate win condition becomes available.  
  • edited October 2022
    @Sweda
    Yes, I know, I took liberties as usual *Guffaw*

[Didn't want it to be that straight forward, because you'd merely sac your own commander and then ramp him out repeatedly. Guess I could've used a "can't be sacrificed" clause... I might make you another :)]
  • Hi... I probably won't be on much, but...

I'm married and expecting a little girl in February!
  • @Faiths_Guide - Congratulations!
  • Welcome to the sh*tshow @Faiths_Guide. Congrats big man
  • *ducks into the restaurant, looks in bewilderment at the vast menu and wraparound bar*

Might I have a quiet seat in a hidden nook where I can read in peace?

A card mechanically and thematically inspired by an aspect of the English language (spoken or written), and it is translatable.

Translatable in a way that's still fun. Sure, you can translate "number of words in the name of target creature" as "number of words in the name of target creature, in its first un-errata'ed English printing" but that would be tedious to actually play with. It's okay if the flavor can't always be translated, but, of course, all translations must be mechanically identical.

*pulls out a book and hides*
  • @flatmap If a card has a mechanical connection to the English language, how can it be translated to an indefinite number of languages ("translatable") and be mechanically identical?
  • edited December 2023
    @Yururu It just has to be inspired by English, not mechanically dependent on English. Here's my own attempt and some commentary:

...space so that Faiths_Guide can choose whether to read or not...

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rhotic-study
    I marked it as an un-card out of caution and vibes and because the templating is weird, but I think it's perfectly playable. A translation could simply drop all of the weirdness and be an ordinary 5-way modal card. But translators can do amazing things, and I think that it's probably possible for most translations to keep at least some of the flavor.

For the record, after several initial rounds of experimentation, I decided that I would test the "translatability" of the card by first deciding on the mechanical content and then finishing the flavor. I had already decided that I wanted the "five english vowels" (as taught in school, which is not actually accurate, but that's a whole other topic...) to be a 5-way modal card, corresponding to the five colors. Now, I decided that the colors had to be in WUBRG order, and I picked five effects for them.

I originally wanted the five words to differ only in their vowels, but couldn't find a set that worked. For example, lane/lean/line/loan/loon was my best try at that, since lane = "stay in your lane" feels white, lean = mind control, line = kill something that failed to meet a standard (kinda black), loan = impulsive gain now with cost later (kinda red), and loon is a kind of bird (or lune, as in moon) but green doesn't have fliers and anyway this doesn't fit my predetermined effect for green.

Only after I picked my five words did I come up with the name of the card.

How might this be translated to, say, Mandarin? I don't speak it, but I know enough linguistics trivia to have a few ideas:
    * there are five tones (including the neutral tone), like in the words "ma" meaning mother/horse/numb/scold/eh? and the tones have a fixed order. There's also a poem where every syllable is "shi".
    * I know that there are "lots" of homophones, so how about five words that sound the same but are written with different characters.
    * maybe a single character with five different readings? I don't know if those exist.
    * or you could incrementally draw a character stroke by stroke, with each part making a valid character. For example: 一二干王玉, which means one, two, uh tree-trunk/dry/work?, king, jade. Which has nothing at all to do with WUBRG but it shows that it's possible.
    * a five character saying, or excerpt from a poem.
    * the five classical Chinese elements: metal/water/earth/fire/wood.
    * five characters that differ only in "radical" (long explanation)
    * or five characters that differ in some other way. Like, the text is "open the box and pay an additional cost" and the options are five characters that all have the enclosure radical (囗) : 回国因图团
  • I just want a Fox Bird creature. 😃

I asked that because... Snake Fox existed.
  • edited February 15
    A Fox Bird creature for @FireOfGolden:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blessed-vulpikeet

Could be fun with Crystalline Giant or similar...

-31 UNIQUE GUESTS SERVED THUS FAR-
    THE MENU HAS REACHED 144 ITEMS

(Some of you are regulars that always want to try something new.)

Every order can be found here: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Faiths_Guide/sets/20848
  • edited February 12
    Next Up:
    Table 1. Korora12
    A non-God enchantment that becomes a creature.

Table 2. @TenebrisNemo
    A Saga land similar to Urza's.

Table 3. @Shelko
    Food tribal artifact creature with Food subtype.

Table 4. @Revan
    Colored Assembly-Worker creature that cares about instants and sorceries.

--SIGN ON THE RESTAURANT WINDOW--
    __No Persons Under 21 Decades of Age__
    _____May Order 'Walker Sauce Here____

[It'd be great if returning customers could go look at The Menu when they place a new order and give me feedback on previous designs, going from last page to first (new to old). It'll help me to know what people like and what they don't by looking at the number of favorites or, even better, discussions in the comments. Thanks for your time!]
  • @Faiths_Guide I'm sure you would rather only do one of these, but I think you're the kind of expert-level creator that needs both an artistic challenge and a puzzle at the same time. 

I'm extremely hungry, so I'd like a sample appetizer platter! Donnez-moi a cycle of legendary creatures representing the five stages of grief.

Om nom
  • edited February 15
    @jpastor
    Cool idea, but my menu and services are very strict, can't make exceptions. One [card] order at a time *Guffaw*
  • @Faiths_Guide ;

Have you even try making a Figure's meal? I heard they serve with interesting taste!

Challenge: Create a creature with Figure as subtype.
  • edited February 15
    @flatmap Just a heads-up that you're request didn't fall within challenge rules.

@FireOfGolden Sorry, realistic requests only. That isn't an existing subtype or reasonably similar enough to one for me to have an avenue of design.

@Korora12 You're up next.
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Not realistic..? But but but, I made it realistic!

I would love to go for Fox Snail. Cheers!
  • A non-God enchantment that transforms into a creature for @Korora12:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/clear-blades
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blade-soul-1

Super fun design challenge!

-33 UNIQUE GUESTS SERVED THUS FAR-
    THE MENU HAS REACHED 145 ITEMS

(Some of you are regulars that always want to try something new.)

[At 150 we might do another "Most Popular Menu Item" contest]

Every order can be found here: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Faiths_Guide/sets/20848