Mystery Box Challenges

Comments

• @jpastor I forgot about the crab.  In that case, the Statue can go to the next person who posts a Mystery Box card.
  • edited January 2023
    • Mystery Challenge: Create something unnatural.
    • Mystery Challenge: Create the Power Puff Girls. Legendary creature cards. One of you takes Blossom, one of you takes Bubbles, and one of you takes Buttercup.
    Dreamgorge BakuBubbles Sweet Sentinel

Oof, took me awhile to do these, courtesy of the new semester starting up. One Mystery Box with the Power Stone active please. :)

• Nice, same art set.  Curating the dueling seven, I see.  I guess it won't be a huge deal to fix the missing legendary border, if that's some thing you care to do.
  • @Jadefire
    @cadstar369
    Power Stone activated mystery boxes are below:

Jadefire, your mystery box contains:
    - A 3-Dimensional Shape. Choose the shape to reap your rewards.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create an artifact that's a staff.

Cadstar, your mystery box contains:
    - Pancakes. Choose 1, 2, or 3 pancakes to receive your prizes.
    - A Mystery Challenge: Create an artifact that's Astral.
  • @Jadefire I tend to avoid posting Un-cards or cards that otherwise don't look like Magic cards on my account (personal preference; I might post an alt like the Stranger Things cards got). I'll fix the border for Bubbles after I get out of class. (I knew I forgot something. :sweat_smile:)

@jpastor 3 pancakes please! :D
  • 3 pancakes = Create 3 additional cards for your same challenge - Each will receive a favorite.
  • A 3-Dimensional Shape - I'll choose octahedron.
  • @Jadefire
    Octahedron - As above so below - I'll give you as many favorites as your entry gets by the time i give you your next mystery box
  • @cadstar369 I get what you mean. For the longest time I was resistant to posting silver bordered cards. Something about wanting the collection to look more official.
  • A Mystery Challenge: Create an artifact that's a staff.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spire-of-denagon

• And so @Jadefire waits patiently to accumulate X favorites before requesting their next box. I see what happened here. Not my intention lol

• Mystery Box Event

MLK started a movement some decades ago. Jpastor will start a movement, too: a movement of cardsmiths from Cardsmith League to try the Mystery Boxes!!! 

As such. I've started this special event, which is 100% Optional for the tagged cardsmiths. 

- If you complete you mystery challenge, you will be awarded the prize in your mystery box. Should you like this Mystery Box thing, you can ask for another Mystery Box when you post your entry. Future mystery boxes have 50/50 shots at prizes, which are awarded immediately upon receipt.

Thanks for trying this out! - jpastor
  • @12SidedGuy
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an instant or sorcery monogreen fight spell with a custom mechanic added on.
    • Megalith - Your entry will be added to the HALL OF FAME
    @Aggroman15
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature that synergizes with dungeons.
    • Iconic Shiny Trophy: If you're among the first 3 to submit an entry for this event, you'll receive the Mystery Box Avatar
    @balloonnation
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a spell that returns more than one card from your graveyard.
    • Swiss Cheese: I'll rate your entry 1-5. You get that many favorites.
    @cadstar369
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare board wipe.
    • Slot Machine Credits: You can reshuffle this mystery challenge any number of times in exchange for 1 favorite on a jpastor card each reshuffle.
    @DrakeGladis
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a monowhite flyer with mana value 9.
    • Golden Timepiece: Be one of the first 3 to submit an entry for this event and your entry will be featured.  
    @East2West
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare instant spell with its own way to make it cheaper to cast.
    • Squirrel's Nut: Make your entry a Squirreltopian entry and I and @Corwinnn will have no choice but to favorite your entry.
    @Elyas_Sterling
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Moonfolk creature with an activated ability.
    • Prestigious Garments: You can give out mystery boxes when they're requested for the remainder of this month.
    @Enscription
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a monocolored Naga Shaman.
    • Fireworks: A favorite on all cards that win in your next cardsmith match.
    @Faiths_Guide
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a flying creature with an ability that costs {s} to activate.
    • Ancient Manuscript: Theme your card around love, death, or robots to receive an automatic favorite on it.
    @FangQuil
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a monowhite {X} spell.
    • Circuit Breaker: Challenge 1 or more cardsmiths to receive a random "Circuit" Challenge prompt for an entry. I'll judge and the winner receives a sweet prize.
    @feralitator
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare creature with Izzet in its name.
    • Chrome Eyepatch: You get 1 favorite for every entry you favorite for this event that was submitted the same day as your entry.
    @FireOfGolden
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create Blanchwood Armor using your own artwork -or- create a mongreen Aura that pumps a creature up.
    • Hieroglyph: I'll show you a random card. You rate it 1-5. If your rating matches my rating, you get 3 favorites. 
    @Globert-the-Martian
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an artifact with the word Dream in its name.
    • Pauper's Treasure: Make your card a common and you'll receive an automatic favorite on it.
    @Hinges
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare creature with an activated ability that costs {0}.
    • Nameplate: Name your card after a roller coaster, movie, character, or song to receive an automatic favorite on it.
    @Jadefire
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a flying creature with vigilance and toughness 1.
    • Engraved Tablet: You'll receive lyrics for a song. Create a card based on the lyrics and receive a favorite on the entry.
    @Korora12
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Elf Spellshaper.
    • Archeological Discovery: You and your next cardsmith league opponent will receive a favorite on each card that wins that had 0 favorites.
  • @Laharl897
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Unicorn commander.
    • Mammoth Tusk: Make your card a kaiju or colossal creature to earn an automatic favorite on it.
    @LordArcadian
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a humanoid creature with flying that's not a Human.
    • The Calibrator: When you post your entry, you get the same prize received by the cardsmith who most recently submitted an entry for this event before you did.
    @MarvelousHavel
    • A Mystery Challenge: -1/-1 counters are the worst. Create a creature that gives +1/+1 counters of removes -1/-1 counters.
    • Copycat's Hat: You can choose any mystery challenge listed for this event, or receive an automatic favorite on your entry for your current mystery challenge.
    @minouchen
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Egyptian-themed Human Cleric.
    • Game Piece: Challenge jpastor to a game of chess, checkers, or scrabble-like word game. If you win, you get the Mystery Box Avatar.
    @Ranshi
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Construct that searches your library.
    • The Joker Card: Challenge jpastor to an official cardsmith league match, judged by one of the other judges. You get 1 favorite for each card that wins.
    @Revan
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a green spell that lets you look at the top cards of your library.
    • Briber's Purse: Favorite X of my cards in exchange for 2X favorites.
    @Tonysparks
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Elemental creature with more flavor text than rules text.
    • Electrodes: You may swap your mystery challenge for challenges of your choice from this event. You'll receive a favorite on both if you do.
    @Shelko
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an instant with delirium
    • Ancient Statue: Theme your card around a cardsmith that's been featured in the blog to receive an automatic favorite on it.
    @SpellPiper2213
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create one of those cards that can fetch for itself in your library.
    • Freaky Furry Things: You may offer to trade mystery challenges with another cardsmith for this event. If they accept, you receive their prize as well.
    @spookoops
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a creature that puts a counter on a creature you don't control.
    • Pharaoh's Treasure: Theme your card around a god/deity or mythical entity/creature to receive an automatic favorite on your entry.
    @SPyBondPlays
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an [xxxxxx] that returns from the dead.
    • Vile Substance: The subtype is blurred out due to the vile substance. Each 'x' is a letter of the subtype. Create the subtype correctly and you'll receive an automatic favorite on your entry.
    @stijnhommes
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a rare Zombie Knight.
    • Cartouche of Mystery: Include the name of any prize listed for this event in your cards name to receive an automatic favorite on it.
    @StuffnSuch
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Crab creature with mana value 8 or greater.
    • Lightsaber: Give your card a Star Wars theme to earn an automatic favorite on it.
    @Suicidal_Deity
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an Aura with a upkeep cost.
    • Pokeball: Give your card a Pokemon theme to earn an automatic favorite on it.
    @TenebrisNemo
    • A Mystery Challenge: My main purpose is to help a creature deal damage. My color identity is 100% infuriating to my opponent. I am usually not cast during most of the phases of a turn. Create me.
    • Enigma: Your mystery challenge is a riddle. Create the card type, color, and effect described accurately to earn an automatic favorite on the entry.
    @TheGamingBolasChannel
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a noncreature board wipe. 
    • Navigation Chart: Name two places on Earth. Your choices will determine how many favorites you get.
    @The_333_
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a grixis-colored Demon.
    • Smoking Gun: Evidence is everything. Provide a brief explanation of how each grixis color is portrayed on your entry to receive up to 3 favorites.
    @theirintheattic
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Phyrexian Carrier creature card.
    • Polished Stone: Create an Aura or Equipment that synergizes with your creature to receive a favorite on both entries.
    @Usaername
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create a Spirit with flash.
    • Atomic Lance: You decide your next cardsmith league opponent.
  • Roc of Aeons
    @jpastor I believe this is the first submission?
  • Yes @DrakeGladis
    @Corwinnn please queue Drake's entry for the January Mystery Box Featured Card
  • @jpastor just to clarify, does my card has to be named "Phyrexian Carrier"? I'm not sure what Carrier means in this context.
  • @theirintheattic your challenge is to create a creature card that has the types Phyrexian Carrier, like these five: https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Acarrier&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
  • I've been trying to make a card for this art for a while. This was just the inspiration I needed.
  • @jpastor gotcha, thanks for clarifying!
  • edited January 2023

@jpastor I hope this meets both your requirements...
  • A Mystery Challenge: create a flying creature with vigilance and toughness 1.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sunwreath-firebird

Time to claim some prizes:
    Pocketbook: Trade a favorite on one of my cards, for two favorites of your choice.
    -I favourited Hornethopter.
    Notebook: Jot down two or three ideas for cards you'd like to see made. Those ideas will be used in others’ mystery boxes somehow.
    -Create a piece of Equipment that can destroy the creature it's equipped to.
    -Create a creature with a keyword ability that uses +1/+1 counters and another ability that moves those counters around.
    -Create a nondamaging instant spell that cares about the number of creatures you control.
    Bibs: Next time we do a draft, you can select something that's already been chosen.
    -Not sure if I need to claim this now and wait for the next draft to happen or wait and then claim.
    Candy Cane: A favorite + a comment on any red+white card you've created.
    -I'll apply this to the Sunwreath Firebird.
    Engraved Tablet: You’ll receive lyrics for a song. Create a card based on the lyrics and receive a favorite on the entry.
    A 3-Dimensional Shape: Octahedron - As above so below - I'll give you as many favorites as your entry gets by the time i give you your next mystery box.
    -Spire of Denagon got five favourites.  Combined with Pocketbook, the favourites can be applied to any seven cards of your choice: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Jadefire/cards
  • edited January 2023
    @Jadefire
    new process for prizes is you claim them when you submit your entry. If you don't claim them, they are trashed. So, I'll only be able to honor the Engraved Tablet. Oh and Octahedron faves!

Here are the... rather intense... lyrics:

He got them dark forces in him
    Behold that pale horse in him
    Racin like Porsches in him
    Boy forget it
    I’m a die hard Flintstone second ward soldier
    I do not know retreat
    I do not accept defeat
  • @jpastor Cool, I'll keep that in mind for the future.  I guess the card ideas are going back into the vault for later.
  • will get to this on my free time

• My Mystery Box Event entry!
    A Mystery Challenge: -1/-1 counters are the worst. Create a creature that gives +1/+1 counters of removes -1/-1 counters.
    Copycat's Hat: You can choose any mystery challenge listed for this event, or receive an automatic favorite on your entry for your current mystery challenge.

Mammoth Tusk: Make your card a kaiju or colossal creature to earn an automatic favorite on it.

• A Star Wars themed crab with a mana value of 8 or more?  Here you go!

Seperatist Muckraker
    • Mystery Challenge: Create a rare board wipe.
    Fleshwarp

Still working on the other box. @jpastor, given the current format for claiming prizes, do I use the Slot Machine Credits on my next box, or on the challenge that came with the Pancakes?

• edited January 2023
    • A Mystery Challenge: Create an artifact with the word Dream in its name.
    • Pauper's Treasure: Make your card a common and you'll receive an automatic favorite on it.
    Diviners Dream Journal
This discussion has been closed.