Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @LvB It doesn't look overpowered to me, although the wording seems to be a bit janky. 

Perhaps the ability could be reworded as:

Target creature you control gains shroud until end of turn, and must block this turn if able. It can block creatures as if it weren't tapped, and can block creatures as if they had no abilities and could be blocked until end of turn

It's a very odd effect, but I think this covers it. As it was originally written, it's overload would effect creatures your opponents control, which I assume was not the intention.

here's mine:

Dark Reflection

I've received some contradicting opinions on this card, with some saying it's too costly and others saying it's not costed enough. Thoughts?

• LvBLvB
    edited February 2023
    Nono, that was the intention: Either force one or all enemy creature to block, even when they are tapped, and by giving them shroud preventing buffs while split seconds prevents buffing too.
    So if the enemy has one creature you want to kill, force it to block, or if your creatures are better than the enemy creatures, force all of the enemy creatures to block so that he loses more than you.
    Or to use it, if youre attacked and all your creatures are tapped to still be able to block while at the same time protecting your own creatures with shroud. Since you can control when this card is played, you can buff your creatures before playing stand your ground. And if you use it with overload during enemy turn so your creatures can block, the enemy creatures all get shroud, so the enemy cant use spells or effects on his own creatures to prevent them from dying. Usually Shroud is an advantage, but here it can be a big disadvantage if you give the enemy creatures shroud and then they run into stronger blockers and cant be safed.
    You can even just use it as a type of counterspell card after combat by giving a creature shroud to protect it from enemy spells.

Its meant as a very versatile card that can be used to kill enemy creatures or to safe your own, or to safe yourself from an attack.

Dark Reflection looks fine. Casting Cost and Colors are ok. With the flash ability it can be used to copy an attacking enemy creature and kill it by blocking or you can just use it to copy anything, even legendary creatures. Flash makes this a lot stronger than other creature copy cards.
  • edited February 2023
    @Globert-the-Martian - Fun design and I like the theming/artwork. But yeah, it's undercosted. Clone effects that allow you to copy legends without any additional assistance do run about 4 CMC and are generally mono blue. To use those as a baseline, we'll take Spark Double as an example. (Others include Sakashima, Irenicus's Vile Duplication) Compared to Spark Double, the areas where Dark Reflections is worse are: it's multi-colored, requires you to be able to target the creature you're copying, and is an Aura rather than a creature, so a target has to exist in the first place. (This barely counts because you can't really play Spark Double with no targets without some kind of anthem already in play.) Because of the sac line, it also gives your opponents two avenues to remove the clone with both creature and enchantment removal. For the areas in which Dark Reflections is better: you can target anyone's creatures, and you can do it at instant speed. Those are huge bonuses, most especially the flash component. 

Given the built in downsides vs. the existing clones, I think this is appropriately costed if Flash was removed. Having Flash on a clone effect is so huge that it makes this worth at least 2 CMC more, both as a combat trick and a way to play it after your opponents are out of resources. 

That being said, I like Flash on the card, but I think raising the cost to make it appropriate knocks this out of being useful. So instead, let's look to the text on Oakshade Stalker:

"You may cast this spell as though it had flash if you pay {2} more to cast it."

With that, you now have a pretty great Aura with a cool instant speed trick as a pseudo-kicker. 

Anyway, just my thoughts, hope this helps!

Edit: Forgot about this card, which is very similar to Dark Reflections: Dance of ManyObviously some differences in function and cost, but a good reference.
  • LvBLvB
    edited February 2023
    i tried to make a planeswalker:
    Since its my first planeswalker i hope its ok.

Tokens incoming:

• edited February 2023
    @LvB
     Thandria - these abilities are quite strong, although they are surmountable. The biggest problem with this is its mana cost. It's not unreasonable to imagine this dropping on turn 3 to turn 4. Given its self-protection abilities, that's a huge tempo swing against the opponent: they likely will not have the creature count needed to pull this planeswalker down or prevent the -6 from going off. Even if they do, they're taking a massive tempo loss due to the automatic exile of two of their creatures. Furthermore, you'll be getting to pick which creature is exiled - as all attacking creatures attack at the same time so the "next" is going to end up being whichever one you want that's targeting it. 

With these abilities, this should be a 6 CMC Planeswalker, at least.

Tokification - There's some rules and formatting issues with the way you have the card written, I'll start with those:
    On the type line, spells with a Creature type is a thing, but the formatting is different. Those spells are called Tribal spells. Crib Swap is an example. You want the type line to look like "Tribal Instant - Eldrazi". 

Phasing is a very old and weird mechanic. Cards that phase out do not technically leave the battlefield. They're considered as not being able to be interacted with. Anything that phases out automatically phases back in on the next upkeep, it's part of the mechanic. You can have it phase in earlier if you want. Usually these kind of "flicker" effects are done by exiling the cards in question and then returning them to play. Which is how to handle the next rules issue:

Tokens are not a type or supertype of card, they're a game resource. Meaning, you cannot have permanents that are represented by cards become tokens; they're different classifications. A better way to think of this is "card" and "token" are both resources and both "card" and "token" can be permanents, which is a property of a resource. What this means is, to turn everything into tokens, we need to get rid of the cards. To that end, the wording you want is:

"Exile X non-token permanents. For each card exiled this way, its controller creates a token copy of it under their control. These tokens are artifacts in addition to their other types. If an attached card and the permanent it is attached to are exiled this way, the token copy of the attached card enters attached to the token copy of the permanent. Tokens created by Tokification do not trigger effects when entering play."
  • New ability idea and a theme of punishing colors with colorless. Would love feedback on the following, as well as any ideas to make Nihility's wording a bit more concise:

Null Ward
    It Who Absolves
    Ylthreii Vel Void Primogenit
    Lacuna Etcher
    Aetheric Dispersal
  • edited March 2023
    @Creid233 I love the idea of Nihility.  I recently built a deck with the specific restriction that no cards in the deck could produce colored mana, so I'm totally on board with the design.  I wonder if you'd be able to phrase it like that "If the cost of this spell was paid using only mana from sources that cannot produce colored mana...".  That seems a little more clear to me at first glance.  I like Ylthreii's design, especially, as it's a great card to cast if you've fallen behind in the late game.

I'm considering a cycle of lands using the following design, but I'd love some feedback on it before making the whole cycle.  I mostly was thinking about making an anti-dual land, something that encourages building with fewer colors, rather than enabling building with more colors.

Vibrant Marshland

Should I make the other 4 colors?

• LvBLvB
    edited March 2023
    Vibrant Marshland looks nice, but maybe make it legendary so you can have only one and people dont exploit it. Imagine 2 of them and then playing Phyrexian Obliterator or similar stuff on turn 2. That might be a bit strong.
    Heres mine ;)

• @LvB That's a good idea.  I honestly considered it, but decided not to go legendary, just because it seemed like so much more work to come up with legendary sounding names.  I guess I shouldn't have let laziness get in the way of good card design.
  • @StuffnSuch

As for Vibrant Marshland, I would recommend wording goes to this way; "{t}, add {b}{b}. Spend this mana only to cast colored spell or activate ability." Otherwise, cool card! Can you add flavor text to your card? It will add lore to it as well!

I agree with LvB, making it legendary is strongly recommended to keep game balanced. I think the name of land is enough sound legendary-ly!

@LvB

For Budspencrization, I am unsure what is your intent with this card. However, the abilities of card is turmoil. Allow me to organize it for you.

Enchant creature.

When Budspencrization enters the battlefield or at beginning of your turn, put a shield counter on the enchanted creature.

Enchanted creature gain +3/+4 and have trample.

When Budspencrization leaves the battlefield, if enchanted creature is still on battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it.

Totem armor.

Now it's organized but it's packed with many abilities, all for only three green manas! That seems overpowering for me.

I would recommend removing "Enchanted creature gain +3/+4 and have trample." or "When Budspencrization leaves the battlefield, if enchanted creature is still on battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it."

Then increase mana cost to 4 to 5. It is designed to keep creature safe from danger. Reminder text isn't required since it's rare or uncommon. It's unusually to see rare mtg having reminder text unless the mechanic is enough rare.

Cheers!

I would like feedback for following my creations:

(Pardon me for grammar error on Wenkman's second ability. It's because the room ran out.)
  • (These are the reasons why I must keep Wenkman balanced well.)

• @FireOfGolden I worded the land specifically to mean that you could only use it on actual black mana costs and only on one spell or ability per turn.  I felt this a) gives it less chance to become completely busted since it can't ramp into every black card, just those with two black pips and b) encourages playing cards that are harder to cast in 3 or 4 color decks.  I did want it to be on par, power-wise, with shock lands and other top-tier dual lands, but only in mono-colored decks.  I don't think making it able to be used on just any black spell and even split across multiple spells would fit what I'm looking for, though I have considered giving it the Swamp land type to make it more fetchable.

Also, vibrant marshland is not a legendary name., sorry  There are lots of vibrant marshlands in the multi-verse.  We've seen a bunch of them, and there will certainly be more.  A legendary spell always refers to something of which there is just one in the multi-verse, typically with a proper noun though sometimes using the article "The".  Legendary names don't just have to sound strong or epic or whatever, they have to grant some sort of uniqueness.
  • edited March 2023
    @FireOfGolden Wenkman feels a bit broken, it's giving me channel + fireball vibes with the ability to turn life or cards into mana, then using the mana for a massive drain life or X spell. Of course you can also prevent his damage just once and have him sit on a million loyalty counters. There needs to be a limit on the second X choice, anytime you can convert life into mana you're asking for trouble.
  • LvBLvB
    edited March 2023
    Problem with Wenkman:
    Combine a spell that reduces damage dealt to you to zero with Wenkmans first ability: Unlimited Loyalty
    Combine the Chain Veil with Wenkman: Use both of his abilities to cast something really big.

Imagine this in Commander: Round 4: Chain Veil, Round 5: Wenkman, activate both, cast Emrakul ...
  • @StuffnSuch

Did you said your intent is this mana spent only for black cards? If that's the case;

It should go this way, {t}: Add {b}{b}. Spent this mana only to cast black spells or activate black permanent's ability.

And you prefer mana to be spent on ONLY one thing, rather than dividing it for both thing; I will edit it for you; {t}: Add {b}{b}, choose a black spell or black permanent. You can only spend this mana on chosen black spell or activate chosen black permanent's ability.

By default, this ability used once a turn, but you can add "This ability can be activated once a turn." to ensure that and make it unable to abuse.

Because from what I read, I assumed this land allows mana to be spent on other than black spells or ability of permanent. I didn't pay attention to "Up to one spell or ability." and I am sorry for that.

@Sweda

Thank you for feedback! I will edit second and third abilities goes this way;

[ 0 ] Discard X cards. Put that many loyal counters on Wenkman then he deals that much damage to you. X cannot be greater than number cards in your hand.

[ -X ] Next illusion, elemental, or scrolls spell you cast costs X less to cast. (Instants and Sorceries are Scrolls.)

I invented a new word that prefers to both instants and sorceries to save some room. Anyhow, how does they sound to you?

@LvB ;

As I spoke to Sweda, that may be fixed. Second ability been limited to number cards in hand. Drawing is required for it. 

Emrakul cannot be casted thank to limitation on third ability. Reason: Emrakul isn't illusion or elemental.

How does that sound?

So, no one going to notice Guiman being existed or they are simply too scared to notice because how overpowering is Wenkman?
  • edited March 2023
    @FireOfGolden Removing paying life for mana certainly fixed his biggest issue. You have to see that 1 life for 1 mana is very broken, look at phyrexian mana, players were gladly paying 2 life for one mana. Now with that bit removed Wenkman is now over costed for what he can do. 1 card for 1 loyalty is a terrible rate and the ability is to deal damage to yourself, come on now, all other planeswalkers all do something beneficial when you give them loyalty counters Wenkman is costing you cards and life.
    As he is, he can drop down to 2 mana and be used as a quick way to cast a 1 large spell very early at the cost of several cards in your hand or sit around as a mana battery in a proliferate deck and only use the 0 ability if you need certain cards in the graveyard. The second ability is good since it's narrow to those creature types and spells so it encourages interesting build arounds. A blue/red +1/+1 counter, elemental, illusion, proliferate deck sounds pretty awesome since there there is plenty of overlap among each and lots of wiggle room, add in spell slinger/graveyard interaction and you got yourself a cool commander deck.  
  • @StuffnSuch the blue equivalent of Vibrant Marshland would definitely be highly sought after. (Faster blue mana is a control deck's only desire thanks to all the cheap cost reducers.) Being able to throw out hard countermagic a turn early with minimal effort is pretty brutal. White would love this as well thanks to their catch-up ramp effects.

Since these lands can tap for normal mana, I don't think they'll accomplish your objective of encouraging building with fewer colors, as I can't see these being particularly difficult to use in 3-color decks. Perhaps you could consider having them tap for {c} or removing the regular mana ability entirely?

@FireOfGolden
    (I don't think there's anything to add about Wenkman after seeing Sweda's comment while in the middle of writing this. :sweat_smile:)

Regarding Guiman, the [-1] ability looks pretty bad given Slimefoot and Squee exists, since there's not many situations where both effects will be beneficial. Thus this card will probably usually serve as a 4-mana Overrun plus haste, which is very undercosted since similar effects only give +1/+1 and haste for 4 mana, whereas Guiman can give up to +8/+8 and haste if you [-4] immediately (while one can argue that using the second ability as a [-1] could be justified by the coin flip, it's definitely too strong once you go past that). Consider reducing the bonus to +1/+1 (perhaps even +1/+0) for each coin flip won.

I'd appreciate feedback on these cards:
    Tithe ExtractorGlaring Reprisal

• @FireOfGolden I'd meant for it to only pay for black pips in a cost, in other words, that it can't be spent to pay generic costs, which, as I'm explaining it, I should have it just say "this mana cannot be used to pay generic mana costs."  Thanks for helping me work out the wording.
  • LvBLvB
    edited March 2023
    I have an idea for vibrant Marshland and similar lands:
    "T: Add 1 black mana."
    "T: Add 2 black mana. This mana may only be used to pay the colored mana casting cost or ability cost of a single spell. You may only use this ability during your turn. You may not use this ability the turn vibrant marshland comes into play."
    This would prevent exploitation on turn 1 and doing crazy stuff during the enemy turn.

Tithe Extractor: I would make a slight change and that is, "as tithe extractor enters the battlefield choose a card type other than basic land." And reduce the mana cost to 3/White/Black.
    Glaring Reprisal: Looks good to me. No changes needed.

What do you think of this ?

• edited March 2023
    @LvB Silent Rage is kinda keyword soup disguised as enchanted creature has +3/+4. Absorb 1 is +0/+1, Bushido 1 is +1/+1, rampage 1 is +1/+1, flanking is +1/+1 and most of the benefits is on combat. This was my initial assessment.
    Actually looking at, it is significantly harder to gang block to kill, absorb + flanking + rampage makes it really hard to gang block with small creatures as 2/X's will deal no damage to it from adsorb and flanking. Still, it should just be treated as if they did enchanted creature gets +4/+4 which usually means spot removal rather than gang blocking. Keyword soup is keyword soup so some people are not huge fans of that. I suppose I can also comment on the name, Silent Rage, I think it's fitting that all the extra buffs only comes when it engages in combat so it does get points for flavour.
    Here was one I made for the year of the rabbit
    Try to make "Pulling a rabbit out of your hat" mechanic, birds too since magicians do that too and rabbits are too narrow of a creature type. Hiding small objects is added for some sleight of hand tricks utility.
  • @Sweda Magic Hat looks very fun to play with. I can't think of too many cheap artifacts I'd really like to protect with the first ability, but that feels appropriate for a sleight of hand trick. I wonder if fetchlands make the second ability a little too strong though, since there's plenty of powerful birds you can pull out of the hat. (I suppose it depends on how many tutors you can cram into a deck, but I could see a deck that runs 12+ fetches to make Magic Hat awesome.) Either way, I'd love to see a 'magic trick' deck built around cards like this.

Wording note ~ Based on Spectral Adversary and similar effects, perhaps consider "When Magic Hat enters the battlefield, up to one target artifact you control with mana value 2 or less phases out." While the current wording is fine, and does allow you to make some odd maneuvers since you have to target something, you can't really make empty threats with Magic Hat since it only targets your own cards, and in paper most people skip targeting for actions they aren't going to take.

I'd appreciate feedback on these cards:
    Tithe ExtractorGlaring Reprisal

• @cadstar As per your comment on the card's discussion, your initial inclination to put the Tithe Extractor ability on a cheap permanent was probably the right one.  Having to wait until you reach six mana before you can play the current version means that much of the opportunity to benefit from it has already been missed, unless you're using it as anti-storm or anti-mass token generation tech, for which turn six would still be fairly slow.

The hypothetical best use case for this ability would be to drop it early and force your opponent to get drained in order to play their game and then have it on the board in the later game (having already repeatedly taxed their life total) to actually make them face a dilemma of whether or not it's worth it to play their cards.  If the opponent has all of their early game to setup, they can either play around Tithe Extractor when it finally drops or even right into it, since their life total wasn't already being pressured.  Also, the 4/4 body for 4WB really doesn't pass the vanilla test and the ability, especially in the context of accessing it so late, doesn't quite close the gap to make the card particularly strong.

I get the desire to want to punish both instants & sorceries as well as non-casting ETB and token generation, but the fact that the card works differently depending on the card type you choose (without any differentiation in wording) is a bit unintuitive.  It's not even a matter of permanents vs. nonpermanents as lands only trigger it once.  There is a way to tune the ability to exactly punish each card type only once, but to ask this of large font may be too much, it may be too much for small font too.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of Fate Reforged "Siege" modal but nested with a second choice:
    As Tithe Extractor enters the battlefield, choose [Name 1] and instant or sorcery or [Name 2] and a permanent type.
    -[Name 1] -- Whenever an opponent casts a spell of the chosen type, that player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    -[Name 2] -- Whenever a permanent of the chosen type enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, that player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

With this wording, if there's enough of a colour requirement in the cost (perhaps all coloured pips like {w}{w/b}{b}) and you tinker with the P/T, you could potentially drop the cost to 3 MV and actually give the card a chance to see some action.

As for Glaring Reprisal, the card is good as is.  I agree with the choice to make destroying an attacking creature the main ability and exiling a creature that has dealt damage the cycle trigger.  WW is a reasonable cost for an uncommon with that ability and upside given the existence of Immolating Glare and Fierce Retribution.  2WW is also a good cost for a more flexible, uncounterable, cantrip Reciprocate given that losing life or a creature to the target is likely also built into the cost.
  • @Jadefire thanks for the feedback! Most of the decks I play usually don't attack (and rarely need to block anything too huge), so I'm not great at judging cost and P/T for creatures like Tithe Extractor. (Everything's functionally an enchantment or an instant for me. :sweat_smile:)  What do you think of this version?

Tithe Extractor

Slightly more versatile regarding permanents and a touch less wordy for the initial choices. I wonder if it's a little too hard to cast, but the ability to punish permanents relative to cards like Kambal probably more than makes up for it in non-control decks. Would it be stronger as a 2/3 (for synergy with a wide variety of white effects), or is it better as a 3/3 to help justify the triple colored mana?
  • @cadstar369 The new version looks much better in terms of playability and intuitiveness.  The extra point of power seems fine in offsetting the fact that its ability hits less hard than Kambal's and is narrower at any given time as far as what triggers it.  I wouldn't worry about how much harder {w}{w/b}{b} is to pay than {1}{w}{b}.  In an Orhzov deck, it's almost negligible.  It really only begins to matter when you start throwing a third colour or many colourless lands into the mix.  Your wording is much cleaner now and more versatile than the original intention for Tithe Extractor, though it does leave open the possibility of it looking for a player to cast a land or put an instant or sorcery onto the battlefield, but it's a tradeoff.  If you're comfortable with that, it's not an egregious issue.

I'm not sure what potential synergies would justify choosing 2/3 over 3/3, but you could go either way.  I'd really only go with 2/3 if those synergies benefit Tithe Extractor specifically (not just any 2/3) and in a significant way.
  • I suppose Mind could be worded as "plays a card of the chosen type" so that lands trigger Tithe Extractor no matter what, since "play" encompasses both playing a land and casting a spell (Rule 601.1a).  However, that would then make Mind not trigger when an opponent casts a copied spell, not sure which way is better.
  • I’d rather keep the wording for Mind as is to retain the ability to punish copies. I mainly brought up potentially making Tithe Extractor a 2/3 because white mags a bunch of reanimation effects and such for power 2 or less, but its probably better to leave it as a 3/3 since it doesn’t have an ETB or anything else that makes reanimating it particularly desirable. Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂
  • LvBLvB
    edited March 2023
    The 3 Mana 3/3 Version is better now and even playable.
    Edit: added another card.

• @LvB

Wandering Spirit ~ Honestly, I don't see the point of this card. Sure, it's practically impossible to remove as long as you're willing to pay to get it back, but the high colored cost makes it difficult to use (it doesn't work well with Food Chain, the Altars, etc.). It doesn't even get around graveyard hate, so why play Wandering Spirit when token generators will almost always be more efficient? Even if you need nontoken creatures for a particular effect, there are plenty of creatures that reanimate themselves more easily.

Randomia, Chaosqueen ~There appears to be little to no value in playing Randomia normally, since most creature cards don't become significantly better when you mix and match their numbers. However, it is trivially easy to turn her into an instant kill if you only have a few creatures in your library (e.g. Samut / Swiftblade Vindicator / etc. + any creature with sufficiently high power + anything else). With support from Rhythm of the Wild, Steely Resolve, etc, Randomia is effectively reduced to being a 5-mana win button 99% of the time.
    • Wording Note: Since the ETB is a "when," state-based actions will be checked and kill Randomia for having 0 toughness before her effect triggers; it'd have to be an "as" instead to avoid this.

I'd appreciate feedback on this card:
    Radical Revelation

(Inspired by Drastic Revelation, an odd card I saw while watching Judge's Tower games.)
  • LvBLvB
    edited March 2023
    Radical Revelation: At first i thought its not really good, but now i think this might be overpowered.
    Discarding your Hand, especially as black/red can be very strong if you put the right cards in your graveyard. And after this its 3 Mana: Draw 3 Cards which is a good value.
    Without Kicker this card can give you a lot of card advantage if you play an aggressive deck with low mana cost creatures/spells that you can spam.
    But if you pay the kicker cost, when would you do this? Only if you dont have a lot of cards in your hand, but the enemy has. Kicker evens out everything and leaves all players with 3 cards in hand.
    So in the right situation, when youre low on cards in hand or if the enemy has more cards than you in hand, this is always good for you.
    The discard is also good in decks that punish the enemy for discarding as this card can easily make the enemy discard 10-11 cards when you play it.

Made 2 Versions  of it: