What counter type would be best to use for this concept?

Hello! I am working on creating a block set of custom mtg sets. Within of which I will be needing a counter type to keep track of for abilities on some cards. However, I am struggling to determine what type I should use and what would be most appropriate or if I should create a new counter for this instance instead.

The concept is an ability that can put counters on a permanent, such as lore counters. Something to track value without allowing the card to gain any initial value in ability. I've thought of experience counters but that is for players only. So far I've been using lore counters but this feels wrong since wizards has made them the default for sagas. That said lore counters fits this roll best so far.

Examples of how the counter would be used,

Example 1
  • Whenever a Creature you control ETBs, put a lore counter on THIS CARD.
  • 2G,Tap: Create 0/0 token. Put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of lore counters on THIS CARD.
Example 2
  • Take control of target creature and put 3 lore counters on it. It gains, "At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a lore counter. Then if there are no lore counters on this creature , return it to its owners control."
Example 3
  • Whenever a creature delt damage by THIS CARD this turn dies, put a lore counter on THIS CARD.
  • 1W,Remove X lore counters: Exile target creature with converted mana cost equal to X.

Comments

• This sounds similar to how oil counters are used in the recent set Phyrexia: All Will Be One (ONE), so I’d suggest making new counters counters named after whatever best fits the theme of the cards that uses them.
  • I agree, though, if it's an artifact heavy set, I'd consider Charge counters, which are basically what you're going for, but generally artifact specific, just like oil counters are also very similar but phyrexian specific.  I'd find some term that represents the idea of what you're doing, honor counters or value counters or training counters or adventure counters or... something like that that can be thematic with the flavor of the cards that are using it.
  • Thank you @cadstar369. I hadn't thought about oil counters yet. Ill be creating a new counter type sense most people have been giving many good reasons for it!  :)
  • @StuffnSuch Alright alright! BIG BRAIN (I'm sorry I cant think of any other way to describe what I'm trying to say there lol) This is game changing, Thank you! This specific set of the block will be more focused with artifacts as, thematically, the set will focus upon a story of a teacher and student going separate paths because of one artifact and its connections between the two. However, i do want this counter type to be fluent between artifact and non artifact, as in instant/sorcery and or enchantments due to later cards within the other 2 sets of the block. I am searching for both limited draft and limited cube possibilities for the block to be balanced. 
  • I liked energy counters. I know they were used in an artifact theme block but I think they could be used almost for anything. 
  • @Iceboundjester8

It sounds like you're looking for a counter type that represents the accumulation of a certain type of value, rather than a counter that directly represents power or toughness. While there's no single "right" answer, here are a few options that might work:

1. +1/+1 counters: While typically associated with representing increases in power and toughness, +1/+1 counters could also be used to represent the accumulation of some other type of value. For example, you could flavor them as "strength counters" or "growth counters" that represent the creature's increasing power, knowledge, or experience.

2. Charge counters: Charge counters are a more generic type of counter that can be used to represent the accumulation of some sort of energy or resource. They're often used on artifacts that have activated abilities, but they could work equally well on creatures or other permanents that have abilities that require some sort of charge-up time.

3. Experience counters: While experience counters are typically associated with player-specific abilities, such as in the Commander format, they could also be used to represent the accumulation of knowledge or skill by a creature or other permanent. This might work well if the ability you're tracking is related to spellcasting or combat prowess.

4. Knowledge counters: If you're hesitant to use lore counters, you could use a similar but distinct counter type such as "knowledge counters." These could represent the accumulation of information or arcane power, which could fit well with abilities related to spellcasting or card advantage.

Ultimately, the choice of counter type will depend on the flavor and mechanics of your set. If none of the existing counter types seem to fit, you could certainly create a new counter type that's specific to your set. Just make sure it's distinct enough from other counter types so as not to cause confusion.