Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Favorites:
    Legacy #
    Timer #
    Purity
    Bounty #
  • @liftinggravity - Do you have a set with all your mechanics on cards?
  • @Corwinnn
    I can certainly make one. There.
  • Sweet! You Rock!
  • edited April 2016
    Just had an idea (from which a card, most likely, will shortly spawn):

(1) Leaderless (This permanent can't be the target of spells or abilities you control.)

Call it "reverse hexproof" or "the far-side of shroud" whatever.

Basically, as I'm sure you're all well aware, the keyword is to represent the fact that the creature couldn't care less about--or isn't aware of--the fact that it has a controller.

Could be reworded thus:
    (2) Leaderless (This permanent can't be the target of spells or abilities you control. At the beginning of combat on your turn, flip a coin. If heads, this creature attacks a random opponent. If tails, this creature can't attack.)

There may be a way to word it so that "coin flipping" isn't involved but that it is simply determined at random, if there is let me know.

Which version do we like better? (1) -or- (2)?

Either way I know I'm remaking this bad boy:
    King Vyle and his token.

For all you people rushing to add additional favorites, Hold Up! Favorite the revised one when it publishes. :P

Only if you can easily read Yellow font have I told you to do anything!

I may also need to "keyword" the tokens duplication ability. Perhaps:

Incessant (When this creature dies, and was not sacrificed, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of this card.)
  • edited April 2016
    Oh, and here's the offspring of my previous Legendary Uncommon:
    Dair, Averynn's Progeny

Miche [cost] ([cost], Exile this creature: At the beginning of your next combat phase, put this creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. It can't be blocked until end of turn. Activate this ability only during combat.)
  • Elder (If this creature deals damage to another creature, put a bite token on that creature. It becomes a Vampire in addition to it's other types.)
    Example - http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lunera-anisimov?list=user
  • edited April 2016
    From my new set:

Blazefire N (When this creature dies, you may deal N damage to target creature or player)
    Unity (Whenever a creature with unity enters the battlefield ________)
    Charger (This creature can only be blocked by one creature) Like a reverse menace
    Did I miss any?
  • @ZendikarIncarnate the name for Blazefire is kinda misleading, and a bit confusing. What about the term for explode-on-death stuff, matrydom? That means upon death, if you matrydom then an explosion occurs on you and you... explode. Basically what your Blazefire mechanic is trying to say, but with a more clear name.
  • Solitary, Ascend and Reckless
    imageimageimage

Solitary is kind of like a reverse hexproof. Instead of being unable to be targeted, they don't get touched by untargeted effects.

Ascend is kind of like a mix between Offering and Champion. When a creature dies, it's spirit can become something stronger.

Reckless encourages self-harm, mass harm and fighting against first strikers. If there was a last strike it would synergize with that as well.
  • Unlikely Circumstances

Unlikely Circumstances - (Whenever you cast this spell and it resolves, you may roll a (X) sided dice instead. If you do and you roll on exactly a (X), (X) If you don't land on a (X), this spell does nothing.)

(X) is a variable that you can change into whatever you want.

Example:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/checkmate-6?list=user
  • edited April 2016
    aus10krews Custom Keywords Set
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/aus10krews/sets/9145
    He is unable to get on the forums at this time, but check out his Keywords!

Eternal Vigil - Whenever another creature you control blocks, Trisevia gets +1/+1 until end of turns.
    Eternal Vigil is trigger-based keyword I made up, the trigger being "if this creature is tapped." The idea behind it is that Vigilance already keeps the creature untapped for combat, but if the creature would be tapped for some other reason, such as being hit with a blue tap spell, or activating an ability with a tapping cost, they're still there to save the day. It's super-vigilance -aus10krews

Incarcerate - [cost], {t}: Incarcerate (exile target creature until this creature leaves the battlefield.)

Tortured - Tortured (Whenever this creature takes damage, you may pay X life to ignore X damage.)

Storm-riding - Storm-riding (When you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gains First Strike until end of turn.)

Necromorph - Necromorph [cost] (You may cast this spell face-down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Whenever that creature would be sent to the graveyard, you may turn it face-up for its Necromorph cost instead.)
  • We've all heard of Lieutenant, but what about those that would rather your commander be gone? Traitor is like Lieutenant, except they gain an effect once your commander is out of the picture.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Lujikul/sets/9181
  • Bluff - You may only pay {card's mana cost/card's partial mana cost} with mana added to your mana pool by activated abilities, instants or sorceries.

• I can't remember if I've already posted promote, but I've tweaked it a bit so I'll post it again. Might still need rebalancing:

Promote (Whenever a creature you control leaves the battlefield, if that creature had greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ambitious-backstabber-1?list=user
  • edited April 2016
    @Animist
    Would you mind taking a look at the Leaderless ability I posted above? Could you give me some input (either here or PM) on which version you like better and why?

BTW, Promote is sweet!
  • edited May 2016
    Leer (Number Variable) - Whenever this creature attacks, target creature gets (Number Variable) -1/-1 counter(s). Remove those counters at the end of your turn.

Ex:Leer 1 - Whenever this creature attacks, target creature gets a -1/-1 counter. Remove those counters at the end of your turn.

Illusion - As long as this permanent is on stack, it cannot be targeted by spells or abilities.

Shifting - Whenever a creature without Shifting blocks or gets blocked by this creature, prevent all damage dealt to this creature.
  • I updated dream to be:

Dream {n} (You may pay an additional {n} as you cast this spell. If you do, name a nonland card.)
    Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/daydreamer-4?list=user
  • How's it going, y'all? Nice to see ya keeping up the thread. It feels good to be able to return to 30+ notifications once a month.
  • @ChargingBadger
    Going good! How've you been?
  • My mechanics (Feel free to use them even without credit, just please let me know somehow you're using it):

Bloodfunnel X (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay any amount of life. Copy this spell for each X points of life paid this way.)
    Note: Be careful with this, it can be easily abused. For instants and sorceries. Example here.

Assemble. (To assemble, tap any number of untapped creatures you control. If you do, put an X/X colorless Construct artifact creature token onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures tapped this way.)
    Note: For @hivelord3 's set. Example.

Scale {cost} (You may cast this spell for its scale cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all numbers in the text with X.)
    Note: Only for Instants and Sorceries.Example.

For the Realms of Delrea set:

Landshift (Whenever you activate a mana ability, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, copy that ability.)
    Note: RG mechanic, only for bigger manacosts, as it can get easily out of hand with smaller cmc. The copied ability goes normally on the stack and isn't a mana ability itself. Example.

Unveil. (To unveil, reveal the bottom card of your library. If it's an artifact card, you may put it into your hand. Otherwise, shuffle your library.)
    Note: Represents the explorers hunting for treasure. Mostly blue. I would be quite pleased if someone actually used this mechanic, as I don't get any creative ideas what to do with it. Replaced the mechanic Hidden treasure. Example.

Wayfarer {cost} ({cost}: Exile this creature. Activate this ability only as a sorcery. At the beginning of your next upkeep, return it to the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn.)
    Note: WB mechanic. Created independently on mcmatt's Quest though it's completely the same thing. Example.

I'm sorry if I accidentally made some mechanic that someone has already created.

• I'll throw this out there too:

Mentality - Reveal the top card of your library. If [insert condition here], [effect]. Then shuffle your library.

This can be combined with any sort of trigger, and this effect can be found on all card types. Examples
  • Pierce X: Whenever this creature attacks, deal X damage to defending player or target creature defending player controls.

Camoflauge: When this creature is dealt damage, before the damage resolves, you may switch it's place with another creature.

Scurry: Whenever this creature attacks, it can avoid being blocked by one of the defending opponent's creatures.

The other mechanics I've made aren't that good. I'm not sure if these mechanics are either.
  • Moody- At the beginning of each upkeep, roll a dice. On an even roll, (Creature) gets +1/+0 until end of turn. On an odd roll, (Creature) gets +0/+1 until end of turn.

Baste (X)- This creature enters the battlefield with (X) +1/+1 counters under it. Whenever this creature attacks, remove a +1/+1 counter from under this creature and put a +1/+1 counter on top of this creature. This effect does not occur as long as there are no +1/+1 counters under this creature.
  • Recently submitted this into the circuit contest:

Vengeance - If you were dealt 5 or more damage this turn by sources your opponents control [effect]

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vengeful-blast-1?list=user
  • Sup y'all. Have a shameless plug to my cards. I'm trying to get back into the swing of the site. http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/ChargingBadger
  • ChargingBadger.... why does that sound so familiar... @Tomigon... have you ever heard of this ChargingBadger dude?
  • @Corwinnn
    A legend tells that he is a god who knows every custom mechanic in this universe. We even have a Temple.
  • Now that's exciting!
  • Counter strike (Whenever this creature is dealt combat damage by a creature you don't control, if the damage is less than this creature's toughness, it deals damage to the other creature equal to the difference.)