The Hardest Contest Ever - See Prizes

Comments

• I don't know if I should change an entry! LOL
  • So it turns out there's a card called 'Fortune's Favor' in the new Eldritch Moon set... so time for a last minute change of name! XD

• That's it! Entries are officially closed! I will begin judging now and I will post the results and commons in a few days. Good luck, everyone!
  • Let the games begin! Good Luck to all!
  • @GageEvan @Corwinnn
    Corwinnn is right; Ignore my comment. I was just trolling.
  • The top three have been picked as well as one honorable mention who may or may not be given a consolation prize. Once I finish the write-up and decide on the best commons to include in the draft (probably Tuesday), the draft will begin!
  • Ok, everyone, it is time for the results you have all been waiting for. There are three winners and an honorable mention. This contest actually surprised me a lot. I called it 'The Hardest Contest Ever' because making a powerful card that is still balanced is the sort of thing that has a razor thin margin and most people did surprisingly well. That being said, it had to come down to a few cards and here are the ones I ultimately chose:

First Place: Plague Shaman by @Noobplayzgames

This card isn't quite as mechanically complex as some of the other winners and most of what it does has been inspired by existing cards but half the point of this site is finding creative and balanced uses for things we've seen before and tweaking them to be more interesting. The grow on death mechanic makes this a powerful card at 1cmc and I really like the multiple uses you can get from the second Scavenging Ooze-like ability and how well it fits into the BG archetype. One of the main thing this had going for it was that it managed to be powerful (especially within its archetype) and useful without being a game-ender on its own and without being too powerful to play against. Congratulations on first place.

Second Place: Zaishen Scorchrazor by @delrethius

Delrethius placed highly in our last major contest as well and after seeing his entries, it makes me wish he would participate more on the site. While last contest he made my personal favorite card, this time he definitely earned second place. The Scorchrazor is good, it has really interesting mechanics and can fit into a variety of aggressive decks and even still be useful with walls blocking it. The reason this card didn't take first is because it errs a teeny bit on the 'too powerful' side when you balance for modern. If you figure out how to give it deathtouch, like with a Basilisk Collar, this becomes an absurd one-man wrecking crew that forces you to consistently block it or face a one-sided board wipe. The saving grace is that as a 1/1 creature, it really needs to be buffed or given evasion past the first few turns in order to be effective once your opponent starts playing bigger creatures. All-in-all, very cool and mechanically interesting card that manages to be really good if not a teeny bit too powerful.

Third Place: Caustic Drone/Caustic Swarm by @fraziel07
    imageimage

This card is similar to the first place entry in that it isn't necessarily all new ideas but it does them in a way that is newer and more interesting. Swat the wasp and you can be in some serious trouble when the 2/2 flying infect swarm comes out that has the Trygon Predator ability to boot. If anything, this card might be a bit underpowered for the competition, with the transform cost being a bit prohibitively expensive. Then again, infect is one of those mechanics you have to be really careful about, especially on a creature with more than one power and evasion.

Honorable Mention: Aether Excommunication by @Flatfish

This card is very cool but arguably both too powerful and too weak at the same time, depending on its use. The most obvious use is to target yourself and get some kind of expensive spell a few turns later for free. The cost limit prevents you from using it on something like Emrakul or Omniscience but there are plenty of horrifying things that cost 5 or less CMC and it is a way to essentially suspend a combo piece and have it come into play only once the rest of your combo is setup. Granted, that spell can be countered when it gets cast but that's true of everything and not just this card. The other option is to use it like a 5-turn weaker Thoughtsieze which has the obvious disadvantage of giving them the card for free after five turns. Neat, but probably needs some tweaks to make it less and/or more potent depending on the situation.

Congratulations to all of the winners! The draft will begin soon (I will post a full card list either later today or tomorrow along with instructions) and our honorable mention player will be given his choice of five cards to pick once the three winners have taken what they want.
  • edited July 2016
    Congratulations to all the winners!!! :D

@strongbelieves Is there any possibility to get to know your thoughts about my entries and what was missing? You know for the next time and my card-improvement :)
    it was this one: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/merlon-the-scholar-3
  • Congrats to ALL the winners and Honorable Mention!!!
    Many thanks to @strongbelieves for hosting a very cool and very generous contest!!!
  • Congrats everyone!
  • Woohoo! Good job @Winners and @Flatfish!

Awesome work @strongbelieves!
  • edited July 2016
    Wow I made it to third place 0.0. Thank you. I bow to your appeasement and look forward to trying more of your events later on.
  • Wooo! I am honored that you would pick mine. Thank you @strongbelieves for taking the time to put this contest on, as well as for your kind comments. Congratulations to the other winners and Flatfish! :D
  • Congrats to the winners! And again thanks to @strongbelieves for making such an interesting contest! It requires a great effort to balance cards of this type, so everyone who made a card for this deserves respect!

(I actually hate my entry, as it violates the colour pie etc.)
  • Okie dokie everyone, here's the deal! @noobplayzgames will pick a card from the list below, then @delrethius (excluding cards already picked), then @fraziel07. Each cardsmith will have 48 hours to post their selection in this thread but please, for everyone's sake, try to decide faster than that. If you miss your window, you will be skipped and the next person will go. If you miss two windows in a row, @Flatfish will take over your position and draft cards which he will receive instead of you. This process will continue until each winner has selected 5 cards from the list. If @Flatfish didn't take over for anyone, he will then be allowed to select 5 cards of his choice from what remains. Additionally, once three rares are selected by anyone, the rest of the rares will be locked out of the draft.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them. Otherwise, it's time for @noobplaysgames to make the first pick!

Rares
    Serendib Efreet - $1
    Rorix Bladewing - $0.69
    Future Sight - $0.49
    Void - $1
    Regal Force - $5
    Karmic Guide - $2
    Isochron Scepter - $5

Uncommons
    Rancor - $3
    Animate Dead - $2
    Flame Jab - $0.25
    FOIL Brainstorm - $35
    Mesa Enchantress - $0.25
    Flinthoof Boar - $0.29
    Daze - $3
    Roar of the Wurm - $0.25
    Worn Powerstone - $1

Commons
    Nausea
    Wakedancer
    Prowling Pangolin
    Gravedigger
    Carrior Feeder
    Eyeblight's Ending
    Humble
    Ballynock Cohort
    Elite Vanguard
    FOIL Mistral Charger
    Pacifism
    Shelter
    Stingscourger
    Faithless Looting
    Mogg War Marshal
    Kird Ape
    Borderland Marauder
    Fervent Cathar
    Seismic Stomp
    Civic Wayfinder
    Abundant Growth
    Sylvan Might
    Seal of Strength
    Sentinel Spider
    Roots
    Nature's Claim
    Stupefying Touch
    Glacial Wall
    Gaseous Form
    Tidal Wave
    Oona's Grace
    Deep Analysis
  • I'm afraid I do not live in North America, so I'm not eligible for the prize. I choose @Angry_Potatoes to replace me, because I just love his entry.
  • Have Noobz and Del chose?
  • If anyone can contact @Noobplayzgames, they have until tonight to make their first selection before the order changes and @Delrethius makes first pick.
  • I'll shoot him an Email!
  • Do i just type the answer in here?
    If so, I'd like the foil Brainstorm a lot. :D
    Sorry I'm late, I hadn't been able to check the site for awhile. Thanks Corwinnn for emailing me.
  • edited July 2016
    Rares 1/3 taken
    Serendib Efreet - $1
    Rorix Bladewing - $0.69
    Future Sight - $0.49 (Fraziel07)
    Void - $1
    Regal Force - $5
    Karmic Guide - $2
    Isochron Scepter - $5 (Delrethius)

Uncommons
    Rancor - $3
    Animate Dead - $2
    Flame Jab - $0.25
    FOIL Brainstorm - $35 (Noobplayzgames)
    Mesa Enchantress - $0.25
    Flinthoof Boar - $0.29
    Daze - $3
    Roar of the Wurm - $0.25
    Worn Powerstone - $1

Commons
    Nausea
    Wakedancer
    Prowling Pangolin
    Gravedigger
    Carrior Feeder
    Eyeblight's Ending
    Humble
    Ballynock Cohort
    Elite Vanguard
    FOIL Mistral Charger
    Pacifism
    Shelter
    Stingscourger
    Faithless Looting
    Mogg War Marshal
    Kird Ape
    Borderland Marauder
    Fervent Cathar
    Seismic Stomp
    Civic Wayfinder
    Abundant Growth
    Sylvan Might
    Seal of Strength
    Sentinel Spider
    Roots
    Nature's Claim
    Stupefying Touch
    Glacial Wall
    Gaseous Form
    Tidal Wave
    Oona's Grace
    Deep Analysis

It is @Delrethius's turn to pick.
  • I will take Isochron Scepter for 400, Alex.
  • edited July 2016
    Future Sight and Rancor please.
  • @fraziel07 Both good picks, but you can only select one at a time! Which will it be?
  • Future Sight please.
  • Three cards picked, two of them rares. Time for round 2! Your pick, @noobplayzgames.
This discussion has been closed.