Help creating a NEW COLOR PIE!

Hello Smiths!

I recently found, via Magic Set Editor, these FANTASTIC new colors! http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/10150

The new colors are:
Pink
Purple
Yellow
Brown
Orange

I have the intention to create a new set with these colors with my family and friends, and was hoping the community could help shape some ideas on what these color's profiles would look like!

We DO want the colors to be unique from the current color pie, but maybe we can bridge characteristics differently. For example maybe ramp goes alongside big spells instead of big creatures, or burn is connected with life gain.

Let me know your thoughts and lets make it real!

Comments

• purple one
  • Since purple's my favorite color, I have some suggestions.

It could be a color that deals heavily with exile and nerfing creatures with -X/-0 effects and using heavy defense and swarm techniques.
  • Maybe focus on attribute switching. Like "Switch X with Y which triggers Z."
  • They forgot fuchsia, chartreuse, olive and mauve.
  • Grey: Simple cards with devastating effects?

There's not many colours to choose from, but I like the sound of what @Lujikul said about purple. Maybe there should be a pink, but I can't think what it would do...
  • Crimson: Powerful version of red.
  • Paisley, Gingham, Plaid and Polka Dot!
  • I think the issue here is that the current color pie was designed to cover everything; you've have to come up with some sort of ideal or concept that isn't among those it already describes. The purple and pink ones are basically just white cards, (thought the pink could be green), the orange one is blue and black, the yellow one is blue and red, and the brown one is white and green.

If you want to completely abolish the current color pie, that could be fun. I'd recommend aligning each color with a particular motive or emotion. Currently, red is driven by passion, black by greed, blue by curiosity, white by compassion, and green by instinct. What would a color driven by boredom look like? How about one motivated by fear?
  • @Beeswax If we take the direction of abolishing the current color pie, then, it would seem to me that pink would most certainly be, judging from our one sample card, be based on compassion and pacifism.
  • @Beeswax, that sound great. I would imagine boredom to be a 'relaxing' colour like turquoise. Fear I would say to be a dark orange or maroon.
  • edited July 2016
    Here were the initial ideas: http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/7876

My thought was to rework what colors get what, for example, I'm giving ramp to yellow, but instead of creatures they get big ol spells.

With that philosophy, we can simply realign abilities and concepts for entirely new gameplay!
  • Here's a recommendation:

Don't start by thinking of mechanics.

Instead, ask yourself what the philosophy of each of these new colors are. What do they want? What do they hate? How do they achieve their goals? What sort of themes are they associated with?

Then build mechanics that support those.

That way, you'll end up with thematically cohesive and through categories with lots of design space.

If you just decide to throw a bunch of mechanics in a pile, you'll run out of thematic room and end up having nowhere to go. Also it makes colors harder to identify and build characters around.

Ideally you want people to be able to look at things outside of mechanics and go, "Oh that's very pink!" or "Wow that's a kind of yellow concept, there."

Much in the same way you can look at characters in fiction and associate them with different parts of the current color wheel.
  • @Zaleramancer that's sort of what I've done internally here, and now I find myself with about 70 new cards I've designed in Magic Set Editor!

Would anyone here be interested in collaborating on an MUSE set with me? My thought is we would share via Google Drive or Dropbox and work together to build the set, with the goal of designing a playable intro deck for each color.

Anyone interested?
  • Purple Basic Land: Crypt?
    Pink Basic Land: Abbey?
    Yellow Basic Land: Tempest?
    Brown Basic Land: Mines?
    Orange Basic Land: Dunes? (Because Desert is already a real land!)

• @Gelectrode that's my thoughts too - I had the following (for my particular flavor on this, which has a lore all of its own):

Purple: Star
    Pink: Meadow
    Yellow: Factory
    Brown: Cavern
    Orange: Desert (to hell with original desert!)

The lore I came up with was this:

Welcome to Eldonia, a plane of former conflict now existing in glorious peace. It is inhabited by the birdfolk and fae of the Glade (pink), the dwarves and golems of the Caves of Calvarnn (brown), and overseen by the djinns and avatars, the Celestial Beings (purple).

The peaceful tribes of Eldonia fought a terrible war against an invading people, the Neferi, 10,000 years ago (orange). These humans have since been eradicated, killed and entombed in their Egyptian-esque tombs.

Recently, humans have begun colonizing Eldonia. Incapable of harnessing mana, they use Factories to produce yellow mana. The humans of New Galvony, the primary colony, are kind-hearted but colonial at heart and have brought mana steampunk-y artifacts and a few angels with them on their quest to colonize a new world.

Their arrival, however, has disrupted Eldonia's balance, causing the Neferi to rise. Unlike zombies which have no mind or control, the Neferi have risen to resume their previous quest to conquer Eldonia. They are led by "wither"ing pharaohs and mummies, as well as swarms of scarabs and insects.

This has caused the Celestial Beings to act, using their divine powers to maintain balance. The Celestials have many creatures driven like Theros gods by devotion, so devotion to purple is essential to the color's success. They also use Fateseal, prowess, and a lot of enchantments.

The birds and fae of pink would rather interfere than attack and rarely deal any damage. They are focused on alternate win-cons, such as reaching life gain goals, and use their powers to tap down creatures, cause mischief, and interfere with play.

The dwarves and golems of brown are defenders first and foremost. They have abilities to keep players from casting spells of certain mana costs, keep players from casting on other player's turns, and other such interferences. Their leaders allow them to assign combat damage as toughness but are focused mostly on sheer fortitude to defend their caves.

Will Eldonia find balance again? You decide, Planeswalker.
  • @mintyfreshmana, I am offset by Star and Meadow. In my opinion, "Meadow" is too close to Plains in my mind. In addition, I think that "Star" is too disconnected compared to the other lands. Maybe something like Vault?
  • @Gelectrode I saw people propose Void too for purple. I think star works because the concept is accessing the skies and enchantments - it doesn't necessarily need to mean an actual star, but channeling it.

Meadow I like because pink is very Bant in nature, so its like Plains meets Forest. I welcome your suggestions though! I just want it to sort of be in line with the lore.
  • So for color philosophies

(THIS IS ALL ME) (CHANGE IT IF U WANT) (YEAH) (WOO)

Purple = faith, obedient
    Orange = honor, obsessive
    Pink = kindness, pacifist
    Brown = endurance, adaption
    Yellow = thrift, greed

I thought that purple could be the color that dips into more magical power - a color that believes in higher powers. Devoutly religous in gods, magical. Some traits they would have woul be acting together as a group, and being an effective unit when any goal or task needs to be acheived. They are analytical, but do not act on any impulse unless their leaders command it. In terms of normal magic colors, it would be closest in philosophy to Bant.
    FLAWS: not independent, rigid, lack of freedom, overly religous,

Orange would be the group that is the second most morally straight. They want to prove their honor in combat or as a person, and their main goal is to serve their leader to the best of their ability so that they are remembered. They aare normally servants and knights, but an Orange leader would be gentle, soft, yet still courageous, stong, and bring out the best in their troops. Because of their self-perfectionism, they have a need to feel right, and so are always ready to fight, be it verbally or ohysicallt.
    FLAWS: obsessive over self-perfection, subservient, fite me

Pink seems to be the color of kindness and love. Their powers would be non-harming or weak - they would be on more damage control against their opponents. Some traits would be being pacifists, calm, and calm except when it comes to protect those they love or just others. It also is the crazy side - slighty abnormal, but their wackyness doesnt change the fact that they love. Philosophically white-red (the part of red that is passion and love and a little crazy.)
    FLAWS: weak, not willing to kill,

Brown seems to be a combination of endurance and grit. They don't care what their strategy is, as long as the goal is get it as little as possible. They are adaptable and quick to change positions to suit themselves.
    FLAWS: willing to do whatever it takes, cruel,

Yellow is the color of glory, gold, and greed. They are insanely power-hungry and require constant approval. They want to be the savior of the people in any way they can - be it by conquering or warming up to people, their only goal is to be in charge. They don't need to be particularly evil, it's just that if there is a seat of power, they are the ones actively vying for it.
    FLAWS: greedy, power-hungry

FLAWS ARE NOT NECICARILY IN ALL OF THE COLOR, JUST SOME

EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE IN CARTOONS AND A MUSICAL BY COLOR
    Aang (ATLA) - Pink/Brown/Orange
    Zuko (ATLA) - Orange/Brown
    Azula (ATLA) - Yellow
    Steven Universe (SU) - Pink
    Connie Maheswaran (SU) - Orange/Pink
    Amethyst (SU) - Orange-Pink
    The Diamonds (SU) - Yellow
    Homeworld (SU) - Yellow/Purple
    Dipper Pines (GF) - Purple/Pink
    Mabel Pines (GF) - Pink
    Li'l Gideon (GF) - Yellow
    Alexander Hamilton (H:AM) - Orange
    Eliza Schuyler (H:AM) - Pink

Yes, I know I am childish in my choices of characters to represent these ideas. Do I care? Nope.
  • bam i win 10 points to gryfindot
  • What I think would be cool is if each new color represented a weird new tribe you've invented. But perhaps that would be a bit too similar to lorwyn. I dunno.
This discussion has been closed.