Make some Womps! (Ongoing)

Comments

• Results for September up soon!
  • edited October 2016
    Because Womptober has begun!
  • @Monty when are the results going to be released?
  • @littledemon, I'm guessing sometime in Womptober!
  • @littledemon hopefully as soon as I have a 2-3 hour block to judge the massive load of entries and give the winners some critique/ praise, as it stands time isn't my greatest luxury right now, hoping to get it done as soon as I can find the time.
  • I feel like I am the only one on these whole site who doesn't like Womps. Here's why:

- They don't make any sense. Why do they have womp counters on them? What's the lore/flavor? As well as not being based off anything ever seen before.

-They all look so weird, WOTC could never make ANYTHING like them, except in unhinged.

-They look like little kids' toys, not magic cards.

- While the eldrazi were based off lovecraftain monsters, Innistrad is gothic horror ect., ect., Womps aren't based off anything. Most magic ideas/creature types all bear resemblance to literature, history or real life things.

_Not to mention they're just...Silly.

I'm sorry to be such a jerk, but I just had to point this out.
  • @KimJongMartin Why you "had to" point it out? Would something terrible have happen if you didn't have pointed it out?
  • @Tutlaschk I wanted to point it out just as constructive criticism, pointing out what I think are the problems with Womps.
  • @KimJongMartin Fair points all around.

Womps were originally an attempt to simultaneously take advantage of a large quantity of unused art from some friends of mine and design something "silly". The archetype was designed with playability and flavor rather than pre-existing MTG design consistency in mind, and as it turns out a good deal of the community wanted to pitch in.

End of the day it's a cute, fuzzy set that ended up causing some controversy in the community for exactly the reasons you've noted, many felt the design didn't fit the game and there were quite a few complaints regarding "Womp Counters" as well, the fact that many 'Womp' cards started taking up 'Popular' real estate and the eventual featuring of Belo, Bullwomp didn't help matters much either.

But now Womps are far more quiet, after this round of judging (Which will hopefully happen very soon depending on how much time I have away from work/ uni) I doubt this discussion will see too many additional submissions.

Happy Smithing guys :)
  • edited October 2016
    @KimJongMartin

You're not the only one who doesn't like Womps. I have a very Love-Hate relationship with them myself
    (and I've created some, sorry).
  • @Faiths_Guide But isn't that the beauty of it? It raises interesting debates regarding the merits of creative boundaries and limitations in card design, all spearheaded by a mass of sentient throw pillows .
  • @Monty

I mean, I think it's a cute idea, but I just think they're a bit more pokemon or something than Magic (I could imagine playing a Bullwomp Ex, eh?). And again, I don't see what the lore of them is, and what plane they could fir into.
  • edited October 2016
    @KimJongMartin I've tried to build as much of a story as I can simply through flavor text, I believe the assumption is that they exist on a new plane, a wild species being studied by the illustrious scholars Walter Eggman and Sir Goo Goo Gjoob (cute reference, right?).
  • @Monty - I have nothing (really) against them, but I'm inclined to agree with @KimJongMartin as to whether or not they "fit" in a category such as WotC MtG... But I believe you're already aware of this "line-straddling".

To clarify, when I first saw them on the MTGCardsmith homepage, my initial reaction was disgust. Then I found out who had started it and noticed the lengths you were going to and decided I better make a couple. :D

Mentally I still refer to them as an illustrious hoax but, yeah. XD
  • To sum up, Great Stuff! Hahahahaa!
  • I like them because they're cute. Visually, they remind me of @Teacup and the cards she makes. I think Womps just struck the right chord with a lot of people at the time, and most everyone had some fun with them... I even made one!
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wompunny-1?list=user
    We do tend to see a lot of "Non-MTG" art here, but that's also one of the fun parts of MTGCardsmith... finding some art that no one has used... finding a use for some art you really like... stretching your creativity by making the card fit the artwork... and sometimes just making something you really want to look at... or making a nice card for your Mom.

XD
  • @Monty, when will you have time to post the results
  • Peace Offering:
  • @Faiths_Guide Hehe, great as always bud.

@littledmon I should possibly have some time tonight, depending on whether or not company decides to show.
  • @dashdo101 the nature womps art is already used by Monty in Belo, Bullwomp i advise you find some other art
  • i know. does it matter?
  • well if you were looking to win the contest it does matter because monty probably wont use the same art twice. (Because the prize for the contest is having the card put into the set)
  • @dashdo101 @littledemon is technically correct regarding the prize, however I don't want to discourage you from submitting all your ideas! Honorable mentions is still very much a thing~ Love Bompo btw.
  • Currently doing coursework, busy tomorrow, might have some time this weekend to judge, no guarantees though, feeling well enough after this entire hospital thingamajig to post fairly regularly.
  • Submission for Womptober:

• edited October 2016
    @Connor2001 hehehe, thanks for introducing me to an awesome artist! Haven't seem this guy's works before.
  • Results for September up tonight!
This discussion has been closed.