Enter the Fray: Round 2 - Well Isn't That Just (Arche)Typical!

2»

Comments

• @Gelectrode
    "The active player"
  • edited December 2016
  • edited December 2016
    Thank you, @Faiths_Guide! And yes, I am trying to make the effects target the owner of the spell. How do you think I should make it more clear?

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/natures-prerogative-1

EDIT: BTW, I think that the entries all have to be uncommon, not rare. Sorry! I do like your card though.
  • @Gelectrode I think "Active player" instead of "The active player" is perfectly fine, since we see "target player" all the time. :)
  • I think it works like you want it to already, I can just see it causing a little confusion. Maybe I'm the dumb one!

Oh! Woops! Perhaps he's uncommon already? :P

• edited December 2016
    @Gelectrode, isn't it "the turn player?"

EDIT

Wait nevermind, I see the rest of the conversation now. Oops
  • He's uncommon now... XD
  • edited December 2016
    Here's some Thund:
    imageimage
    P.S. Hey @Touchstone, when does this round close?
    P.P.S. Is it alright if I do a separate post for each faction?
  • @Tomble123 Not for about another week or two. And yes, you can have separate post for each faction.
  • @Gelectrode Card Removed... I would need context but something like "During each players turn..." or "During each of their turns..." as seen in http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417789
  • ooooops didn't realise there was a second page. Oh well.
  • edited December 2016
    Hey everyone, small update! I've started a Discord server up for this, and you'll notice a new reward on the OP: "Join the Ranks". This reward will be applied retroactively, so check to see if you made the cut according to it's criteria last round.

For those who don't want to, Join the Ranks give the first three places and the honorable mention a chance to join the team behind Sunya (currently just me), and choose to be apart of the Creative sub-team or the Design sub-team. They'll get special permissions on the Discord server, and can help with the smaller ground work for the set.

However, everyone can join the server! If you're interested, here's the direct link. I look forwards to seeing you there!

EDIT: The OP is now too long, so the Join the Ranks reward has not been placed in it. In further rounds, I will alter the OP to allow for it, but that's for another day.
  • Another bump here, as well as a notice: Enter the Fray Round 2 will close for judging on January 1st. No more submissions or edits will be allowed from that point forwards, and the judging will take about one and a half weeks. After that, results will be posted, awards awarded, and the next round announced. Get in those last submissions! Only 7 days remain!
  • I have a couple of concerns with the set:

First of all, both your ideas, @touchstone, wouldn't work for the planeswalker thing, cine WoTc want to keep planeswalkers as this kind of flashy thing, and having them be very common takes away all the flair. One of the main reasons people open packs is to get planeswalkers, and your ideas take all of that away. :/ I can't really think of anything, but perhaps the ability could be changed to benefit from legends too. ^^ Still think that would be bad tho.

To be honest this ability:
    'Tempered (Whenever a creature you control blocks alone, it gets +1/+1 and can block an additional creature each turn.)'
    Has just completely lost me. So when you block once, that creature can suddenly block an additional creature for the rest of the game? How's that going to work with memory issues? Am I missing something? And shouldn't it get a +1/+1 counter? It also seems a bit OP.

• So, @KJMartin, let me see if I'm understanding you right. You're saying that there's no way for me to do a planeswalker matter theme, despite having several very good methods for doing so? That sounds like more of an opinion than a fact. Not to mention I don't know a single person who's main reason for opening packs is to get a planeswalker (I'm personally hoping for a Masterpiece or a Gearhulk in my Kaladesh packs). Just because they've been in Mythic Rare as splashy cards doesn't mean that planeswalkers can't be more common and retain "the flair". Besides, as I have already mentioned in this thread, there is no reason for an entrant to worry about planeswalkers. Unless they become a competition (which a few will), or an entrant joins the team because of a victory, planeswalkers won't be in Enter the Fray. So, as it stands, regardless of your opinions on planeswalkers, I am keeping the W/B planeswalker matters theme.

And I have changed Tempered already, but have refrained from altering it in this competition to avoid confusion with previous entries. It's based off of Exalted, which was a fine mechanic, and didn't give +1/+1 counters. If anything, this is a weaker version of Exalted, because you have to willingly be taking damage, since your opponent most likely has more than one attacking creature. It is definitely nowhere near OP.

Note: also, a typo in the ability text: "Whenever a creature you control blocks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 and can block an additional creature until end of turn." That might clear up some of your confusion.
  • edited December 2016
    @touchstone
    Perhaps my first comment was a bit unreasonable. Sorry, although I still agree with most of what I said.
    My main point was: wizards wouldn't want to make planeswalkers common because of the same reason they don't make them cost 1 mana: because it makes them seem very underwhelming. Planeswalkers are meant to feel 'cool' - they're only meant to be mythic, and all new players kind of are in awe of them. Feel free to do this set how you want - I;m just giving some advice. ^^

The until end of turn thing clears everything up. It was OP when you had forgotten the last bit, but is not.
  • @KJMartin How about a keyword like (As long as you control another creature and only one creature with that name [Effect])

It would be strong in commander but wouldn't necessarily require you to have a legend
  • edited December 2016
    Also when i open packs I'm hoping for anything over $6.50 which is how much our boosters cost.

Sorry I haven't been round much I've just got a lot on my plate right now. I hoping to make some soldiers soonish.
  • @unicornsareevil13579
    Woah! Here in England they cost £3 - £3.50 at an expensive store, and generally £2.50 online.
  • Also @touchstone - If you make Planeswalker's common, you'll risk offending all of the WotC people who support and enforce all of the rules around here.... and MaRo won't invite you to that New Years party he's holding... and then you'll end up on WhyMTGCardsmith.... and before you know it, you'll be looking at World of Warships ads and wondering aloud... "Should I click that?"
  • Oops. I got a bit distracted, so here's a 24 hour warning for all those entered, and those who want to enter. Tomorrow, I'll start judging. Be prepared!
  • Alright! Round 2 is closed for judging! Check back soon for the results. (And by soon, I mean 1 to 2 days.)
  • edited January 2017
    Alright, here is the judging! Cards are ranked from 1 to 5, with 1 being the best. There isn't any placing yet, I'll get to that tomorrow, but this a general indication of how you did during this round. If I missed you, or there was an error in my judgement, please tell me!

White/Black
    AustinSmith
    Fel Warlord - Rank 2: A nice card, and a really good example of subordinate, the only problem is that it's pretty expensive just for a 3/3 with a drain ability. Drop it to 4, and it would be amazing.

Rednaxela
    Sunya Spirit Guide - Rank 1: An interesting take on subordinate, and I like it.

Sauron123
    Planeswalker's Forerunner- Rank 2: This is pretty powerful I would say. It 2 for a 2/1 that can't die if you've got a planeswalker.

Blue/Red
    ArienSmith
    Thundercat - Rank 4: I'm going to remove all the symbols in this cards, and read what it really does: "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, this creature can't be blocked until end of turn, and you may have your next instant or sorcery cost 1 less to cast." That's a rare right there.
    Thundragon - Rank 2: Your pun is appreciated. This is a much better card, but there are a few problems with it. First, your activated should be worded "Pay {E}: Choose one - Thundragon gains flying until end of turn./Thundragon gets +1/+0 until end of turn." Unfortunately, toughness boosting isn't in blue or red (this really should be a 2/2). The last ability is also a bit of a bend, but I get what you were trying to do. Just for future reference, red cares about dealing damage, not a player losing life.

Faiths_Guide
    Tetracoil Thund - Rank 2: This is actually a really cool card, but I feel that the last ability is just slightly too powerful. Maybe make it the top three cards?

Tomble123
    Cracklespark Warcaster - Rank 1: Nice uncommon. The only complaint I have is that it has a high toughness, which isn't normal for either blue or red, but that's a small nitpick.
    Crackling Skydasher - Rank 1: I actually like this one more than the one above. It's really easy to stick a keyword on an uncommon and call it an arcun. It's more difficult to create a card that shows you a benefit of the archetype, rather than a way to enable it.

Black/Green
    Tomble123
    Moldspore Calf - Rank 2: I feel like this is a good card, but is pushing the boundaries just slightly. 1/3 for 2 is okay, but the X salvage (which, by the way, should be lowercase inside of a sentence) is just a bit much.
    Barkskin Whisperer - Rank 1: At best, this swells your ranks of tokens. At worse, it gives a bunch of creatures +1/+1. Either way, for 4 mana, I feel like this is a really good arcun. Heck, it would even work without the salvage ability, but the ability really seals it.

ArienSmith
    Forest Angel - Rank 3: While this is a really cool card, there's a lot of errors in how it's formatted. As a summary, since salvage triggers on death, it goes below most rules text (the exception being things that function in the graveyard, like flashback or retrace). Also, the ability you have should be worded as "Whenever a creature you control with salvage dies, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from ~. If you do, return that creature to its owner's hand".
    Mycomancer - Rank 4: I get the flavor here, but there is one major problem: you use the untap symbol. Untap is a mechanic, and one that requires hefty design and development attention (it ranks at an 9 on the Storm Scale; only the bah-roken mechanics are below it). Ignoring that, this card has a major problem. The should return based on converted mana cost/power - the salvage ability is not indicative of power level and it should, at most returned tapped. Repeatable recursion untapped doesn't belong at uncommon, and I don't think it should be repeatable at all.

Rednaxela
    Agakin Humanoid - Rank 2: I like the concept behind this one, but I think that the ability not only needs to tap, but it needs to cost a bit more. At this point, it essentially reads "1, activate a salvage trigger: create a blocker with salvage", which is a bit too powerful at uncommon.

MonsoonTheArtificer
    Akagin Zombie - Rank 3: Cool idea, but salvage 3 on a 3/3 is a bit much, even at 4 mana. Not to mention that if you're running just B/G, that recursion is going to be ridiculously easy to get off.

Red/White
    ArienSmith
    Charge Commander - Rank 3: Cool idea, but battle cry is a mechanic, just like tempered. It's not in Sunya, so an arcun with it wouldn't fit into the set, now would it?
    Charging Captain - Rank 2: I really like this, but I feel that the triggered ability is a bit too good. You're changing tempered into +1/+1 counters, and since it's a universal ability, that's really powerful. If it had a cost, I'd be much happier.

cwwolfpack76
    Angry Flame Vanguard - Rank 2: I like it, but it feels a bit weak and counterintuitive, especially since this version of RW is focused more on being offensive on both sides of combat.
    Burning Soul Hoplite - Rank 2: Again, a really cool card, but this one I feel pushes it with how many abilities it has. Personally, I would remove tempered from it, that way its a bit less obvious why you would have a single creature blocking.

Green/Blue
    ArienSmith
    Gav'ala, Eidolon of the Garden - Rank 2: It's cool, simple and interesting, but it's a bit too simple. At best, it's a 2 mana blocker you get back each turn, at worst...eh, it's kind of one-sided. Its best is its worse.
    Illusory Kitsune - Rank 2: I really like this one. The only problem is reducing colored mana - that's powerful, regardless of what restrictions you put it on. If you only made it reduce colorless, this would be Rank 1.

ShadowKnight1224
    Issirhan Command - Rank 3: I'm a fan of the command cycle, but even with this being more niche, it still feels rare. Perhaps making it a charm would be better.

DomriKrade
    Issirh Cultivator - Rank 1: This is cool! This is a really cool way to encourage playing on opponents turns.

Faiths_Guide
    Mage of the Issirh - Rank 2: This is cool, but I'm failing to see the green in this card, other than in the intervention ability.

Gelectrode
    Nature's Prerogative- Rank 1: I like this card, but it's a bit confusing, even when I completely understand what is happening.

Radnaxela
    Issirh Dream Avatar - Rank 1: Cool and simple. I like this, and it definitely seems G/U.
  • edited January 2017
    @touchstone
    For the Mage, he (sometimes) makes 0/1 green Plants and flash is a green and blue mechanic as well.

Tetracoil (tetra meaning 4 of course) seems balanced to me, but I could easily be wrong. It's a cyclical ability, you won't be able to do it very frequently under most circumstances.

Thanks for the wonderful breakdown on all the cards!
  • edited January 2017
    @Faiths_Guide
    Alright. I actually completely forgot that flash was in green (I'm used to using it in blue and white), and completely skipped over the color of the tokens. My only concern with Tetracoil is that assuming you have only 4-ofs in a deck, when you use this, you're almost guaranteed to find the exact card you're looking for. It's unlikely, but still possible.

Alright, and @everyone, here are the final rankings for Round 2!
    @AustinSmith - 2
    @Rednaxela - 1.3
    @Sauron123 - 2
    @ArienSmith - 2.75
    @Faiths_Guide - 2
    @Tomble123 - 1.23
    @MonsoonTheArtificer - 3
    @cwwolfpack76 - 2
    @ShadowKnight1224 - 3
    @DomriKrade - 1
    @Gelectrode - 3 (Penalty for confusion)

And that means we have @DomriKrade in first, @Tomble123 in second, and @Rednaxela in third! As a reminder, first place gets a major fate point, second gets a minor fate point, all three places can enter one card into the set's file and all three can officially join the team for Sunya: Planar Battlefield. Make sure to log into the Discord so I can get you the proper permissions, and PM me the exact cards and such you want to enter into the set.

With that, Round 2 brings itself to a close. Thank you so much to all those who entered, and to those who helped brainstorm the planeswalker problem (although it was a bit of a side track). Be on the look out for Enter the Fray Round 3: Villainous Villainy and Expositions Galore!

Side note to the 4 contestants with fate points: The next round is story based, which means you can start to spend your fate points to influence the story. If you're interested in using one for this, PM me, and I'll send you back the general story. Major fate points can add in or subtract entire plot points, or alter them completely; minor fate points can introduce characters and cause or remove complications to the hero(es?).
  • Sorry, I didn't see that this was over! Ah, my username is spelled a bit differently than that. Congrats to all the winners and entrants.
  • Oops. Sorry about that Domri!
This discussion has been closed.