Cardsmith Duels!

Comments

• Vs. @Latinas
    I found this one very hard because I've never really played any of the Innistrad sets and finding art was equally challenging. Oh well, here goes.
  • Vs @nsm91

I agree, finding eldritch horror style art that looks like it could be in MTG is tough.

image</a
  • @Latinas
    We find a lot on DeviantArt. But just not when we're actively looking for MTG artwork! XD
  • @nsm91 HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

• @Hergusbergus
    Haha great minds think alike..?
  • @Hergusbergus, I'm going to assume that's not an entry.
    @KrampisZman, if @IanLowenthal agrees to let you, I'll allow it.
  • Good luck to all remaining cardsmiths!!!
  • @MagicChess it's not.

just wanted to show how COINCIDENTAL THINGS CAN BE
  • @TrippleBoggey3 - Never give up! Never Surrender!
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    Don't say that! Just destroy me with a fantastic submission!
  • @MagicChess
    How soon need I submit?
  • @Faiths_Guide, by this Friday/Saturday.
    @Everybody, I'm on vacation right now, and will probably be too busy to answer many other questions.
  • @TenebrisNemo
    "I JUST GOT RICK ROLLED!!"
  • @TenebrisNemo

Rick Astley happens to be my favorite singer!

@MagicChess

How long do we have to enter our submissions? This one is pretty hard...
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    You have until Friday/Saturday.
  • Opponent: @Arceus8523 Challenge: Colorshift Delver of Secrets

Transforms into

Also, I will be gone from Saturday the 8th until Sunday the 16th. Should this be a problem if I somehow win?
  • @Faiths_Guide Thanks! I was searching for artwork, and I got a great idea! I'm sure it could be fixed up a bit, but I'm pretty happy with it.
  • @BradXMagic, so you'll be gone the week of the eight.......
    If you aren't eliminated,I will email you your challenge before Saturday the 8th and you will be able to make your card in secret and email it back to me. I will then post it on the thread when Round Three begins.
    Cool card, by the way!
  • Heyyyy! My opponent's active this time! It's time to D-D-D-D-DDDD-DUEL! *Starts playing the theme from that terrible 4kids dub of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime.*

Opponent @BradXmagic
    Challenge: Colorshift Delver of Secrets (Make a 1 mana 1/1 that transforms into a 3/2 with an evergreen keyword ability.)

into

Okay, so I know this isn't a perfect colorshift of delver, but that was for a few reasons, the main one being that I wanted to keep the colorshift's flavor relevant to Innistrad, so I went werewolf. If you're interested in the flavor of the card, it is explained on Moonlit Ravager. The back side is your classic non-Human werewolf mechanically, but the front is quite different. The first ability is meant to play into the idea of a werewolf hunter, being able to pick off werwolves easily and make it a pretty effective 1-drop in the early game (hopefully) without being broken. The flip mechanic is a hybrid of Delver's flip mechanic and a Werewolf's flip ability. Though, I delayed the ability's trigger until after combat to tie into the card's self-contained story a bit more. Since, the hunter doesn't transform until after he's been attacked by the pack.
  • edited April 2017
    VS. @TrippleBoggey3 -> Make a card that produces a legendary token.

image image

Good luck opponent! I had Argus' set symbol set to Theros, but it reverted before publishing :(
  • VS. @Faiths_Guide -> Make a card that produces a legendary token.

A terrible card, and I know I will lose. Based on the character from Game of Thrones.
  • Opponent: @IanLowenthal
    Challenge: Make a double-faced card that begins as one card type and flips into another

I have never said this to another person before, but I really dislike double-faced cards. Not because they aren't cool, mechanically useful, or flavorful (many of them are at least one of those things), but because they are so gosh darn logistically taxing. It's like, if I wanna play with a sleeved DFC I have to take it out of the sleeve every single time I want it to transform, risking damage on my cards, or I have to use those irritating little checklist cards. It annoys me so much.

For completely different reasons, I have a hard time designing DFCs. This is because I generally view them as cards that try to embody a specific flavor instead of necessarily doing anything useful. While there are indeed useful DFC cards (Huntmaster of the Fells and Delver of Secrets come to mind), they were probably designed with flavor first. I am really more of a mechanical guy, so designing these flavor driven cards are hard for me.

Before I show you what I am entering, here is my original concept:

Wall Construction
    Artifact
    (Cost, generic mana only, around 1-2 mana)
    (Cost of 4+ generic mana), t: Put a Brick counter on Wall Construction. Then, if there are Four or More brick counters on Wall Construction, Transform it.
    I'm gonna build a wall, and I gotta tell you, I'm the best at building walls.

Great wall of Trump
    Artifact Creature
    0/10
    Creatures with power 2 or less can't attack.
    Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays 2 for each creature he or she controls that's attacking you.
    It's Huuuuge!

So as you can see, it's pretty bad. Funny-ish (if you're not a diehard conservative or literally any sane person ever), but bad. As you can guess, I knew I could do better, but how? I was looking at the few cards that did start as one card type and transform into another, but then I saw that weird one from SOI (Startled Awake: http://mythicspoiler.com/soi/cards/startledawake.html) I thought that was cool, and then I had an idea for a creature kind of like that. Without further ado, here is my card, Charged Sparkling ---> Residual Static!
    imageimage

So what happens here? First, a little lore lesson. Sparklings are highly social, and friendly, creatures that live in the woods on the plane of Krampan (this is a working title, it's subject to change). The core of their body is made of a rare metal that can behave as both a conduit for energy and a basic nervous system. One day in the ancient times, a rogue bolt of lightning hit a large deposit of this metal, and the first sparkling was born. By nature, lightning would tend to be drawn to a Sparkling because of their metallic makeup. Over time, Sparklings evolved the ability to "share their thunder" as it were. When a sparkling died, it's lightning would be left behind as a residual energy so near-by sparklings could absorb it's power. This was a survival mechanism, so that if two sparklings were attacked by a larger creature and one would die, the other would gain power and be able to defeat it's opponent. When a sparkling reaches it's energy capacity, it is considered charged. In their charged states, sparklings are less friendly and more aggressive. Recently, a special type of collar has been invented that keeps a small sparkling's charge levels low, so due to their naturally friendly nature they are now in- demand pets among nobels and aristocrats.

My card represents what happens when a Sparkling dies and no other sparklings are around (AKA, getting Shocked). When it dies, you can use my all new retribute mechanic to put it transformed onto the stack. So your sparkling dies, and you get to use it's static to kill something. I thought this would be an interesting take on DFC's, since they generally represent a guy transforming into a monster, or vice versa.

For competitive play, I think this guy is awesome. I would be more than willing to slot him into a burn deck, specifically a modern burn deck, where he can be used as Pseudo card-advantage and adds a little bit of reach to your deck.

I hope you enjoy this card as much as I do, @MagicChess.

Thanks,
    Kramp
  • @KrampisZman, I do indeed! Great job.
    @SALT_SIMULATOR_2017, YOU HAVE NOT YET ENTERED! Please do so before Monday or I will be forced to disqualify you.
  • That moment when you get beaten by a person who hasn't entered the 2nd challenge.
  • edited April 2017
    @SALT_SIMULATOR_2017, this is your last chance!
    @Decaldor, could you please email Mr. Simulator?
This discussion has been closed.