Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• So... We just post our custom keywords here, or is there some criteria that have to be met?
  • @captain_Pugsley
    No criteria essentially.
  • @modnation675, Sweet! Thanks for clearing the up! :-D
  • Quick Innovation(Whenever this creature activates an ability or a triggered ability becomes triggered, players can't cast spells or activate abilities until the effect resolves.)

Thoughts?
  • Compensate - If you didn't play first, (effect)
    Stolen from this article by Pro Player Nico Bohny:
    https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/solving-the-very-first-decision-of-the-game/
  • Insular is my new 'monocolour matters' ability word. Basically, a spell with insular will have an improved effect if you spent only mana of one colour to cast it.
    Flavourwise, it represents being, quite literally, insular and rejecting the teachings of other colours, sticking only to abilities of one's own colour pie slice.

• Also, a suggestion. Would it be possible to pin this thread at the beginning like how it's been done for the FAQ thread and other such threads? I think this is a useful thing for people to see.
  • Here is an old ability word of mine:

Specialty -- As long as equipped creature shares a creature type with (card's name), (effect).

imageimageimage

Some items work better for those who have specialized in them.
  • edited March 2018

Deprecate in an action keyword.
    To deprecate something put a bounty counter on it.
  • Dreamborn (This spell costs {1} less to cast for each tapped creature you control.)

Pickpocket X (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, reveal the top card of that player's library. If it's a nonland card with converted mana cost X or less, you may cast it without paying that card's mana cost.)

• Disable N (If this creature is blocked, blocking creature(s) become 0/1 and cannot block or attack for N turns)
  • Honor-Bound (Opponents can't have control of this creature.)
  • edited April 2018
    New:

Custom mechanic:
    Diplomacy - Starting with you, each player chooses one that hasn't been chosen if able -

There can be any number of modes on a card like this.
  • YroYro
    edited March 2018
    Inexorable (If this creature would be put into a graveyard or in exile, return it it's owner's hand instead.)
  • Provoke (This creature cannot attack. If this creature becomes targeted by opponent's spell/creature, this creature can attack, *effect*, and spell/creature does nothing to this creature)
  • Mine N (Create N colorless Gold artifact tokens with “Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.”)
  • edited March 2018
    Here's one for the list... and covers the "March" theme with Forced March

• edited April 2018
    Life Sap(Whenever this creature deals damage to another creature, instead put a number of -1/-1 counters on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Inearth(Exile a permanent you control face down.)
  • @Tomigon I didn't want to sound rude, but the restore ability was my own creation... it was the Hinder ability that I helped @Dechujoh64 create/round out. Can you clarify that when you get a chance please? Thanks!
  • @sorinjace
    Sorry about that. I edited my comment.
  • edited April 2018
    @Tomigon no worries, man. Hey check out the 2 cards I made recently of you, one is you and corwinnn the other is all you. Hope they are to your liking! Any thoughts on them let me know :)

PS I just the other day looked and saw you guys already used that pic for a card. :/ I was like 'darn'... Hard to find new art the site hasn't used already.
  • edited April 2018
    Spare - You may choose not to sacrifice.

Example:
    Spare target [permanent - type/subtype] (If you would sacrifice that permanent this turn, you may choose not to instead.)

Spare (verb) ~
    refrain from killing, injuring, or distressing.

• edited April 2018
    I've contributed a couple of keywords before, but I finally came up with an ability that I feel is worth sharing:
    Aura Mastery: could be on a permanent or on instants/sorceries

As a creature/artifact ability, it would look like this:

Aura Mastery: As long as [CARDNAME] is enchanted, [EFFECT].
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/altana-ridge-spearmaster-1

Or like this on an instant or sorcery:
    [EFFECT]
    Aura Mastery: If you control an enchantment, [BETTER EFFECT]
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/scatter-the-aura
  • @HATMAN
    I really like the idea of spell mastery, but having it geared more towards aura-based decks (which is what I play with).
  • @Faiths_Guide
    So Spare can give Fallen Angel infinite bump? Blood Pet can give you infinite {b}?