Contest Overload? Overload contest. *Circuit Challenge*

13»

Comments

• Just a few days left!
  • edited January 2017
    Here is thy first entry for the contest!

Charon's Empathy
  • Another overload card for your consideration:
  • edited January 2017
    Update: Fixed the italics in Charon's Empathy!
  • Today and tomorrow are the last two days to submit entries or update your existing entries.
  • Entry No. 1 & 2
    image image
  • Thy second entry

Charon's Embrace
  • Hope it's in time. :P
  • Three hour (roughly) warning! Finish those entries and polish your final cuts!
  • edited January 2017
    Entry 2
    (swallowed card can only be put back onto battlefield if the creature is destroyed, not exiled.)
  • edited January 2017
    FINAL LAST MINUTE ENTRY (sorry :P)

I think this card is cool. If you fill your deck with token producing noncreature cards, and then fill it with big creatures you can go nuts. I think it really shines in EDH, as it can make everyone tilt/have fun! Hope you like it! :)
  • Realized there is a 2 entry limit, these are my two entries:
    imageimage
  • I updated my card.
    But it's ok if you started judging with the old version.
  • Last minute!
  • Entries for this contest are now closed! Judging will begin shortly and I'll have the results as soon as possible.
  • Woohoo, I have nightmares of the day @KJMartin's card gets buyback equal to the overload cost due to some new player's card! XD
  • @modnation675
    Yeah, mulligan once or twice and mill for the win!
  • edited January 2017

Results

This is going to take two posts. It has taken me some extra time to finish the judging on this because the number of diverse and mechanically interesting entries. I'm really happy with the number of quality entries this contest saw. With that out of the way, I have selected five cards, two honorable mentions and then 1st-3rd place, to comment on. @Corwinnn will distribute the circuit challenge points appropriate.

Honorable Mentions

The first honorable mention (in no particular order) is Death to Death by @kltmtg29:

This card is... Interesting. As-is, it is too powerful as you can use it to effectively three-for-one an opponent and retrigger an ETB with it not overloaded. Making it a sorcery would mitigate a lot of that excess power and telegraph the persist so that an opponent doesn't get blown out by a single creature and a crazy instant. The overload is... Uh... Unique. I had to intentionally keep myself from finding ways to break it but on its face it seems like it would be a bizarre but potentially useful option. It should also probably be green or red, colors that persist much more commonly than white.
    -
    How well it uses Overload: 7/10
    Creativity: 7/10
    Balance: 6/10
    Formatting/Art/Misc: 5/5
    Total: 25/35

The second honorable mention is Rising Soulstorm by @TheClayKnight:
    Good card. It would be great in commander especially, which tugs at my heart strings. There's pretty much nothing wrong with this card but it didn't quiiiiiiiiiiite stack up to the others for creativity. I also don't know if I should ask what Essiomancy is.
    -
    How well it uses Overload: 8/10
    Creativity: 6/10
    Balance: 9/10
    Formatting/Art/Misc: 4/5
    Total: 27/35

Third Place

Unravel the Mind by @MrRansom:
    Useful overloaded and devastating cast normally with a neat color twist for flavor. This has a ton of uses. Most obviously, the 'reverse overload' where it is more beneficial to cast it normally, is fine though a bit scary. There are a lot of cards that do similar things better and letting your opponent/s do it too is risky. Even so, it can be useful early game if you need to push it. The payoff, however, is hard casting it. Drawing two and forcing an opponent to discard two is powerful punishment and a nice alternative to the utility of the overload mode. In essence, this is one card that has two entirely different uses mashed together in one neat package. The only thing it really misses out on is creativity, or rather, originality. It does comes down to drawing and discarding.
    -
    How well it uses Overload: 9/10
    Balance: 9/10
    Total: 30/35
  • edited January 2017

Second Place

Cease by @Beeswax:
    This card is pretty simple and very straightforward. Targeted removal, been done. Board wipe, been done. However, this card is the one from the contest I could most easily seen being printed as a real card. It is balanced perfectly, around being slightly worse than Murder (sorcery vs. instant) and slightly worse than Wrath of God or Fumigate (1cmc more than Wrath, no lifegain like Fumigate) but also better than both in that it has both modes. This card is proof that you don't need to make something complicated to make something of quality. It is also the only entry in this contest that I favorited.
    -
    How well it uses Overload: 9/10
    Balance: 10/10
    Total: 31/35

First Place

Dragon Incubator by @Faiths_Guide:
    This is kind of the opposite of the 2nd place card. It is really, really complicated. It does so many things that are so different that it took me a while to get a full grasp on all of the potential uses for it. It's chief problem is that it is pretty much unplayable in most constructed formats and would be a really strange but odd and potentially playable card in limited or the right standard. It would also be a ton of fun in commander. This card takes the top spot primarily because of how nutty and fascinating that use of overload is while still ticking the rest of the score boxes. Play it late in a Scion or Atarka dragon deck and protect your eggs and you can suddenly have a flock of dragons on par with some of the best Dragonstorms. Also, 3/3 prot red and dragons for 3 is probably a bit too powerful. That on its own would make it potentially playable in limited.
    -
    How well it uses Overload: 10/10
    Creativity: 10/10
    Balance: 8/10
    Total: 33/35
  • Congratulations to all the winners and mentionables!!

Circuit points will be awarded on the official tally as follows

@Faiths_Guide - 2 Points
    @Beeswax - 1 Point
    @MrRansom - 1/2 Point
    And as a special Bonus... The Honorable Mentions get points as well!!
    @TheClayKnight - 1/4 Point
    @kltmtg29 - 1/4 Point

Thanks to @strongbelieves for hosting this wonderful challenge!
  • edited January 2017
    @strongbelieves "essiomancy" is a leftover from something I was trying to do at the time: break instants and sorceries into different types of magic. Essiomancy is "soul magic"
    If I could edit the card I would probably take that out now. (if anyone is interested, I still have the WIP magic type list)

@Corwinnn oh great. Now I have to do something with that 1/4 point...
  • @TheClayKnight - It's too bad you can't pick your teeth with it.
    XD
    I reckon you'll just have to add more points to it!
  • For the winners, please send me a private message so we can talk about your prizes.

If anyone else has a question about their entry, feel free to send me a private message. I would be happy to discuss it with you.
  • Congrats to other @Winners and @Mentionables! Thanks a bunch for the interesting Circuit Contest @strongbelieves!
  • edited April 2017
    @strongbelieves

Updated Dragon Incubator per your recommendations! He's also a Shaman now.

This discussion has been closed.