Use This Mechanic (Now)

EDIT: Please don't submit any cards until I rework the mechanic a bit. I'll change the title to "Use This Mechanic (Now)" when it's fixed. Thanks!

EDIT 2: Fixed!

Wanted to share this mechanic with everyone and see how they can synergize with it by making cards.

Memorize (mana color/card type): The next time any player casts a (mana color/card type) spell before your next turn, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast (this spell), create one copy of that spell without memorize. You may choose new targets for the copy.

This mechanic can be used in any way you choose, and, as in the example, can synergize with mana cost effects. I'm not sure how well it would work on instants, but if you can make it work, more power to you!

I'll be favoriting cards I like, and giving feedback on them as I see fit. Feel free to do the same, and help each other out however you want!

This is just for fun, so no real prizes except favorites (they will be liberal, I'll be honest).

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Some feedback regarding the mechanic. (Updated)

1) It would be written as "memorize green", rather than with a mana symbol.
    2) I wouldn't recommend restricting it to only being used in regards to color. The other uses seem more interesting.
    3) I don't like that it can copy your spells, it feels bad balance-wise for future design space. Which is exactly what your asking with this challenge.
    4) The mechanic is really hateful and embodies the bad aspects of tech cards.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Some feedback for the feedback lol.

1) I did a mana symbol purposefully so that players can vary the mechanic widely (for example just putting a "1" so that it copies the next spell, or "r/u" so it copies the next blue OR red spell)
    2) See above
    3) It can copy your spells, but they have to be of equal or lower cost. With Waterwalker Stag, it balances because you can cast the spell for free if it's in your opening hand, but then memorize won't work because you cast it for 0 mana (which is why I made it so the spell must equal the mana payed, rather than the cmc)
    4) Don't know what you mean by hateful, not gonna lie

The mechanic isn't perfect, nor perfectly balanced, but I just wanted to see some people use it in creative ways that I hadn't thought of, and there's no better place than on a site where all of the cards are made up and fake anyways lol. I really do appreciate the feedback though, it helps me for the future!!
  • edited June 2017
    I don't exactly know the power level on this mechanic, but it feels really high, so I don't think this is balanced in the slightest.

• I feel like it's ok with standard spells, but I just realized that if you couple it with more memorize cards, it spirals. I'm gonna have to refine it again, because that won't work. I'll rework it again tomorrow, most likely to include a stipulation involving the mechanic not working on another spell with memorize.
  • My main issue is the potential of "memory chain" decks where we just chain a bunch of memory spells back to back for insane value. Plus, any 0 mana creature players will be more than happy to copy all their 0 mana creature spells.
  • edited June 2017
    Quite reasonable overall.

I'd recommend checking the following as I'm trying to find a good reference to copying permanent spells on the stack. Although most search results assume I'm cloning something already on the battlefield.

I'm trying to remember if there was an issue in the rulings as WotC has never done this despite it being reasonable sounding. This is in regards to non-instant non-sorcery spells though, another thing google misinterprets.

1) This goes against past formatting, unless it considers the quantity of a mana type spent or in cost. It would be best to let others make varying versions when need be for that.
    2) Yeah, I just meant in regards to the prominence of the symbols.
    3) That's overpowered, especially in green. Even if it didn't have the first ability
    4) I was referring to it being used as a tech card. But it seems that wasn't your intention, so I won't argue that.
  • It's nice to see others noticing the issue with referring to casting cost rather than mana spent as well, I definitely forgot to mention that.
  • -So we cast vortext grip
    -memory U/R active
    -then follow it up with another vortex grip
    -vortex grip 2 gets copied, including its memorize ability.
    -a memorize U/R with cost 3 or less is up as well as a memorize U/R with cost 0 or less is up.
    -Cast either a bolt for 6 damage total (making 12 damage total this turn) or cast a crimson kobolds and get four Crimson Kobolds.

One upside is that all the memories trigger at the same time, so the 0 or less memories fail if anything other than a 0 spell is cast and the normal memories must copy the 0 mana spell.
  • Plus opponents can steal memories
  • edited June 2017
    Yeah, that can get awkward. Although, I initially thought it would be restricted to one or the other after the feedback.
  • Alright I think it's fixed now. Should be formatted correctly and be much more balanced (hopefully). Either way, I'm happy with this change, so... LET THE CREATING COMMENCE!
  • @syntheticreign
    Just realized this myself, but I believe the part of the mechanic needs to be reworded to '...if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the amount of mana spent to cast (cardname)...'

Just some slight wording fixes, that's all. I missed the converted mana cost line myself.
  • edited June 2017
    Yeah, I agree with that as well.
  • edited June 2017
    Let's try this again.
    imageimageimage
    Actually, in retrospect, Boostring might've been a mistake thanks to X spells existing, maybe change memorize to "Memorize (Property) X times (The next time any player casts a (property) spell, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than or equal to the amount of mana spent to cast (spellname), copy it (X times, add this part only if X is greater than one), the(those, if X is greater than one) copy(copies, if X is greater than 1) loses(lose, if X is greater than 1) memorize."

That prevent comboing with flashback and X spells.
  • edited June 2017
    That's a LOT of text sadly. The way it is right now removes any memorize effects from memorized spells, and on top of that I made it so the spell memorized must be LESS than the spell with the memorize trigger, not less than or equal to.

Also, the number doesn't doesn't dictate the amount of copies created, rather it dictates the number of sequential criterion-meeting cards that get memorized. For example, if I say memorize green twice, this would mean that the next 2 green spells cast get copied (without memorize), rather than creating 2 copies of the next green spell cast. This avoids completely spamming the same spell of your choosing (unless you cast that same spell multiple times) while still giving the player the benefit of copying spells.
  • @syntheticreign
    Ooooh, that makes much more sense. Leme see what I can do to patch that.
  • @Arceus8523
    Your cards are really creative, I like them, but yeah haha, it's meant for copying multiple spells, not the same spell multiple times.

I also don't remember the rules specifically related to "casting" a card, but if I do, "creating" a card is not "casting" it, so the mechanic won't be creating copies of copies, if that makes sense. That's not in reference to you, just in general.
  • edited June 2017
    Keep in mind that last version doesn't cast the spells, so removing memorize doesn't actually do anything. This is shown below by removing the highlighted part.

Memorize sorcery three times. (The next time any player casts a sorcery spell, if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the amount of mana spent to cast Boostring, create three copies of that spell, those copies lose memorize.)

I'd suggest also writing the following highlighted parts in.

Memorize sorcery three times. (The next time any player casts a sorcery spell, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than Boostring's converted mana cost, create up to three copies of that spell. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
  • edited June 2017
    Updated the prior comment...

Edit: Edited it again.
  • @Arceus8523 @modnation675

I updated the example but not the mechanic in the thread because I'm dumb. It's fixed now. The new formatting is as follows:

Memorize (mana color or card type X number of times): The next time any player casts a (mana color or card type) this turn, if its mana cost is less than what you payed to cast (this creature), create a copy of that spell. That spell loses memorize. (repeat X times)
  • edited June 2017
    Well the thing is I actually like the 'amount of mana' clause on the memorize spell because that leave the potential of a memorize commander open where each sequential cast the "memory bank" for spells gets larger.
  • edited June 2017
    Yeah, good point!

I'd say the following is the best interpretation then.

Memorize green spell. (The next time any player casts a green spell, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast this spell, create up to one copy of that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

Here's an example for plural copies.

Memorize green spell twice. (The next time any player casts a green spell, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast this spell, create up to two copies of that spell. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
  • @modnation675

The first is good, the second is misunderstanding the mechanic in its plurality.

It doesn't copy the same spell multiple times, it copies multiple spells.

Memorize green spell twice. (The next time any player casts a green spell this turn, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast this spell, create a copy of that spell. You may choose new targets for the copies. Do this twice.)

Also, losing the "memorize" IS important.

Let's say I cast a card with memorize green twice. The next green spell I cast gets copied, and it has memorize green once. That means the next green spell I play, it gets copied twice, versus only once due to the initial memorize.

I also wanted to balance it, so it's the next time spells are cast THIS TURN.
  • edited June 2017
    @syntheticreign
    Oh sorry about that, I was looking at Arceus8523's version.

As for the duplication of the memorize ability, that doesn't happen as the copies aren't cast. I have already researched and tested this before.

Memorize green spell. (The next time any player casts a green spell this turn, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast this spell, create up to one copy of that spell without memorize. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

-----

Only issue is that you can no longer use creatures this way. So I'd recommend the following for instance.

Memorize green spell. (The next time any player casts a green spell before your next turn, if the amount of mana spent to cast it is less than the amount spent to cast this spell, create up to one copy of that spell without memorize. You may choose new targets for the copy.)
  • edited June 2017
    @syntheticreign
    I'll also mention the following again. Please do some research to make sure, as we're still looking for a reference.

-----

I'd recommend checking the following as I'm trying to find a good reference to copying permanent spells on the stack. Although most search results assume I'm cloning something already on the battlefield.

I'm trying to remember if there was an issue in the rulings as WotC has never done this despite it being reasonable sounding. This is in regards to non-instant non-sorcery spells though, another thing google misinterprets.
  • @modnation675
    No worries!

I know the memorize wouldn't work on copies, but think of it this way.

Memorize green twice
    Cast green with memorize, which is then memorized
    Cast green card
    First memorize card makes a copy of it, as does the memorized memorize card, both activating on the green spell, not the copy of that spell

Basically you can double and triple copy the same spell with multiple different memorizes with increases application value (memorize once, twice, thrice, etc.)

I like the idea of "before your next turn", but I actually want to keep it as is, that way Instant cards will get a whole new application: casting them at the beginning of your opponent's turn so that that whole turn is fair play for the memorize effect, thus providing an opponent incentive not to cast certain cards.

• @modnation675
    And yeah, I haven't seen cards like this yet. Maybe i've invented a whole new game-changing mechanic :D
  • edited June 2017
    @syntheticreign
    Oh, thank you for mentioning this. I seemed to have forgot about that, so I revised the prior comment to mention this.

As for the instant idea, okay. But I'll say this limits the challenge designs people can make immensely, as well as just its overall usefulness as a keyword mechanic.
  • @modnation675
    Hmm, good point. Alright, time to remake it yet again lol. To the Cardsmithery!!!
  • edited June 2017
    No problem, I just felt it would be cool on multiple card types. Otherwise, it feels too elaborate for the limitations and restricts the idea of commanders with this.
This discussion has been closed.