Renaissance Set — Design Phase

Comments

• @syntheticreign Only about a week ago. I am trying to make the five Grand Muses, and it is hard!
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 Well welcome! Lol yeah, it's tough. Idk if you started on the Creative Design forum or not, but we had a LOT of discussions about everything, so I'm just happy they managed to get to the point where we decided on theme and mechanics so that we could start actually making the Muses haha.
    Ok, so I hope I got this one good. I think the second ability is a good "fear" ability.
    @syntheticreign I spent a rather long time reading the Creative Design thread, until I made a few posts on that, then I got directed here, and then I became obsessed with Grand Muses, including this one here.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 Oh awesome. I still haven't given up on "Overflow", so I'll definitely make a card titled that.

As for the Muse, I definitely like the idea of it. I don't know that vigilance fits with r/u, and returning the Muse to the battlefield might be a bit strong without a drawback. I'd also personally drop the power and toughness on the Muse. A hasted, first strike 6/6 for 4 with a 1/1 each turn is a bit up there. As a general rule, I've found that power and toughness should not both be above a card's cmc unless the card punishes you in some way. At a maximum it should be at a 4/4 imo, or a 5/3 or a 6/2 or some ratio to that effect.
  • Hm, you make a fair point @syntheticreign. Maybe I ought to drop first strike, and I'll rework the first ability.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 The UR muse first of all has high stats with little drawback, and it makes tokens that can't attack because of it's 3rd ability. Vigilance usually is not seen in UR and also it doesn't make sense on a creature that can't attack.
  • @ningyounk, I see; good point. I wanted to convey the UB Art Thieves theme (obviously). Maybe there's a less literal way to do that? Hmm. I'll need to think about that.

@Faiths_Guide, I think we weren't going to use reminder text for psylian life, instead using the Monarch system in Conspiracy, where there is a reminder token (see page 1).

@Everyone, let's talk about Faeries. We decided earlier that we wanted them to have an optimistic feel; emphasizing mischievousness and turning down the cruelty, as well as putting them into WU. Maybe faeries in this set should be a psylian life tribe? I think it would be an interesting and unique twist on the classic archetype.

That being said, maybe we don't want to have psylian life confined to one tribe?Obviously it wouldn't be a faeries-only thing, but it could be the tribe's theme.

The reason I thought of this is that I had a cool idea for a card: a psylian life twist on Myr Superion! Myr Superior is a 5/6 for {2}, but only mana produced by creatures can be used to cast it. It was originally intended to be paid for by (shocker!) myr, but elf tribal players got their grubby little hands on it and incorporated it into their decks.

I most certainly was touched by a Muse, for I thought up this: a Standard-ified version where the stats are nerfed, the cmc increased, and it can only be paid for by mana produced by psylian life.

[CARDNAME]
    {3} 4/4
    Spend only mana produced by psylian life to cast CARDNAME.

It could be a 'faerie superion,' so to speak, if we incorporate psylian life into that tribe, but it would do perfectly well on its own.
  • And also, let's talk about Virtuoso/Compose. 2 things:
    1. While it would add words, I really think the Art tokens should be all colors, because that really feels like art to me.
    2. I don't love the name Compose, because it has to do with music rather than all forms of art. Virtuoso does have a musical connotation, but I think it was more generic. I think maybe another verb would be a better name.
  • One thought I had was making a reprint of Swords to Plowshares, but psylian life instead.
  • edited August 2017
    @MagicChess The idea for the psylian myr superior is interesting but very parasitic. A lot of creatures in the game gives you mana, but obviously that's not true for psylian life. The concept is here, but it may need to be softened I think. Maybe something like a cost reduction thing that allows you to pay one psylian life instead of 1 mana?

For the all-colours Virtuoso tokens, there is really no good reason to make the tokens more complicated if the colours aren't relevant. It is fun but at the end of the day that's the first thing we would have to cut when trying to tighten the set and making it more functional. We have to ask ourselves what serves the set as a whole and I think the all-colours tokens not only don't serve the set but actively deserve it by raising the word count of a keyworded mechanic, and mislead players in thinking there is a colour-matter theme in the set.

@Lujikul Swords to Plowshares is likely a card that would completely wrap the set around it, it's a really old design and has brought a lot of troubles to the game balance (White is not supposed to have best removal but because of this card and Path to Exile it's in fact true) ;) But yeah the concept is cool just, please, don't make it 1-mana XD
  • I'm psyched to be using psylian life. I can't find good art though. Maybe there could be a symbol that would be kind of like Phyrexian mana, except it's "you may pay 1 psylian life"?
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 I was also very excited for the concept of psy life and am still trying to develop a whole format around it. While we could make a symbol, we wouldn't actually be able to use it while making cards in Cardsmith, so either use a substitute symbol for it or just keyword it on the cards you use it on.
  • edited August 2017
    Ok. Maybe the white Phyrexian mana symbol @syntheticreign? To denote "this can either be paid with 1 colorless or 1 psylian"?
  • Doesn't it kinda defeat the point of paying two psylian life to add {c} if you just use it like phyrexian mana?
  • @ningyounk, it costs 2 psylian life to get one mana, but I see your point ;)
  • edited August 2017
    I decided to attempt to create one of the heroes because I found good art. I have a nagging feeling I forgot or misplaced something...
    EDIT: Oh yeah! I want to try to add an Artist subtype.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 The Artist subtype could work well! And that's definitely a key art, whatever happens this will end up on a key card ^^ I don't see the point of Composing after having attacked though, except for sacrifice shenaningans but clearly that's not what this card is trying to do ;)
  • edited August 2017
    Hm, good point @ningyounk. I will make the required edits soon.
  • I made a couple concept cards. An Art tribal lord as well as a flavor card for the art thieves.

imageimage
  • @Lujikul Maybe it should be an "Art golem" in the subtype xD
  • Glad my Artist subtype is being considered. XD
    Here, I hope this trigger works better
  • edited August 2017
    @TezzeretofCarmot21
    The following would be best for space purposes. In addition, it's less redundant on some abilities.
    -----
    Haste, first strike

Whenever Salendi Kortha enters the battlefield or attacks, compose 4.

Art creatures you control have first strike.
    -----

Edit: The card also feels a bit too strong with both having haste.
  • Gah! The flavor text goes off the card! ;( I'll have to edit that. @modnation675 Thanks, I will try to add that in
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21
    Yeah, it gives you an extra line of room for the flavor text. Which is very useful! :)
  • edited August 2017

This is just a placeholder image and idea, but I liked the idea of showing how creations can spur more creations. Another thing I think would be cool is if we had many of the Artist types use Compose (or whatever it will be called) to demonstrate the relationship between creation and creator.
  • edited August 2017
    Hopefully this is a good Final Iteration *wink*.
    EDIT: Didn't see Road to Memory @syntheticreign! very good
  • edited August 2017
    @TezzeretofCarmot, I don't think it makes sense for Salendi or the Art creatures to have first strike. In addition, I think Salendi should support the UR Virtuoso Control strategy more. Right now your card favors WR and BR, which aren't really relevant to Salendi's character.
    Thanks for picking up on my character though!
    EDIT: Compose, not Virtuoso XD I keep saying that.
    RE-EDIT: I guess Salendi might fit in with WR, but definitely not BR. That's Kedrah's territory XD
    RE-RE-EDIT: Also, I seem to be getting mixed messages about Virtuo--- I mean Compose (XD). Are the tokens sacrificed at end of turn, or not? Personally, I kind of liked the original version where the tokens were colorful, hastey, and impermanent. The sacking at end of turn helped emphasize the the art is incorporeal, which props up UR but makes Compose less valuable to WR and GW
This discussion has been closed.